Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Strong Sauce posted:

i would assume that they'd have wording about keeping the mana like they did for Omnath, Locus of Mana: https://scryfall.com/card/cc1/2/omnath-locus-of-mana (but with obvious changes) and other cards that let you keep mana through phases/steps. never seen a similar card so i thought they were going to do some weird mechanic about unspent mana.

The card already exists that does basically this exact thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I've already started brainstorming a Goro-Goro and Satoru deck for Conquest and it's aggro as hell and I'm here for it: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/gyji90peKE6vWoGvSd0VBw

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It does mention it though? If you would lose unspent mana, instead it becomes black mana. If it said you didn't lose mana between phases then the turn to black effect wouldn't do anything.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Khanstant posted:

It does mention it though? If you would lose unspent mana, instead it becomes black mana. If it said you didn't lose mana between phases then the turn to black effect wouldn't do anything.

maybe they just didn't read the "instead"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Strong Sauce posted:

if we're going by "reading the card explains the card.." to me it's just confusing that they don't mention that you don't lose unspent mana,

There's no need to state that the unspent mana persists because the event that makes you lose it is getting replaced.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Praetors, being double sided sagas is an awesome way to portray them enacting their personal master schemes.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Praetors, being double sided sagas is an awesome way to portray them enacting their personal master schemes.

it rules! I love so many things about what we've seen so far and I think it's a really cool new combo permanent type

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
These spoilers rule. Can't wait for the prices to be gouged to hell and back. :smith:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's no need to state that the unspent mana persists because the event that makes you lose it is getting replaced.

yeah okay this makes it make more sense to me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can’t say I’m checked into the story/lore/characters that much but I like everything I’ve seen so far. I admire WotC’s restraint in not showing us Battles yet.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

fadam posted:

Can’t say I’m checked into the story/lore/characters that much but I like everything I’ve seen so far. I admire WotC’s restraint in not showing us Battles yet.

Bold of you to assume they're coming in MOM and not next year (unless I missed something and they admitted to it, I only skimmed the web article).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

Bold of you to assume they're coming in MOM and not next year (unless I missed something and they admitted to it, I only skimmed the web article).

It makes sense to be in the set all about people battling across the planes, but you’re right it might not be for a while.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

The sets about people battling, in a multiversal war

I mean never put it past wotc but it seems like a gimme to put them into this set

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

GonSmithe posted:

There is a bonus sheet in the set as well, like the Mystical Archive or the Brother's War artifacts

Okay these are awesome but why did they need to do Atraxa in the same art deco treatment as they just did in the secret lair? Even worse, the art on this one is better!

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013
They showed a bunch of pieces of art titled "Invasion of [insert plane]." Seems like good names and art for a Battle.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

insertdumbnamehere posted:

They showed a bunch of pieces of art titled "Invasion of [insert plane]." Seems like good names and art for a Battle.

I think this is right, the art they showed looks ideal for a Battle card type:

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I love the way Drana and Linvala are all cheery and smiling in the art. It's the third time Zendikar is uniting against a common foe in a short time, and they both get along like they're in a superhero crossover movie. The art screams 'Linvala about to say a snappy one-liner'.

Considering everything the people of Zendikar have gone through, it kinda works for me.

I wanna know if other Innistrad horrors are getting docile enough around humans like Gitrog is.

Runo Stromkirk and his leviathan worshipping vampires getting deep sea horrors to fight back.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sylvian Wastes posted:

I love the way Drana and Linvala are all cheery and smiling in the art. It's the third time Zendikar is uniting against a common foe in a short time, and they both get along like they're in a superhero crossover movie. The art screams 'Linvala about to say a snappy one-liner'.

Considering everything the people of Zendikar have gone through, it kinda works for me.

I wanna know if other Innistrad horrors are getting docile enough around humans like Gitrog is.

Runo Stromkirk and his leviathan worshipping vampires getting deep sea horrors to fight back.

Toxrill will become Depala's racing snail.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Invasion of Mercadia looks like a frame from a movie where the camera is moving through the battlefield to show the scale of the fight. I love it so much.

You can even see a phyrexian troop transport that has fallen and crashed into the city ablaze if you look close, as well as what appears to be a small waterfall of glistening oil runoff on the far right side of the city where a transport has successfully landed. Its kinda in shadow, but the shape is distinctive.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Toxrill will become Depala's racing snail.

*after losing a single turn after Toxrill hits the battlefield*

It really is a racing snail.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

Okay these are awesome but why did they need to do Atraxa in the same art deco treatment as they just did in the secret lair? Even worse, the art on this one is better!

It looks like the style of each of those cards will be according to the plane associated with them. Ragavan gets the Kaladesh frame, Atraxa gets New Capenna presumably because it's a story point that Norn sends Atraxa to level that plane.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I like how the invasion pieces showcase planes we haven't seen in awhile. Lorwyn? Mercadia? loving Shandalar?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I hope the Tarkir teamup is Zurgo and Kolaghan.

Ridiculous number of options for Ravnica but Teysa and Tajic or Ral and Tomik make sense, I think.

E: Lorwyn was before my time, I gather it had some thing where the whole plane became Shadowmoor, that was like a seasonal thing? So it just changed back?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's all fun and games until the double companions get spoiled

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Arivia posted:

I like how the invasion pieces showcase planes we haven't seen in awhile. Lorwyn? Mercadia? loving Shandalar?

After the last few sets, Kobolds have gotten more representation in the last 10 years than Shandalar.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's all fun and games until the double companions get spoiled

Can't wait for Kinnan and Lurrus, Bonded

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ridiculous number of options for Ravnica but Teysa and Tajic or Ral and Tomik make sense, I think.

E: Lorwyn was before my time, I gather it had some thing where the whole plane became Shadowmoor, that was like a seasonal thing? So it just changed back?

Lorwyn was locked in perpetual day, but shifted to Shadowmoor, locked in perpetual night and the majority of inhabitants had no memory of the plane shifting from one season to another. Fae magic. Eventide fixed the plane so it has a more traditional day-night cycle and less memory loss.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah okay this makes it make more sense to me.

Replacement effects are fun because they're uncompromising and happen any time the stated event occurs. They occur during resolution of spells and abilities. They aren't activated or triggered, they just happen. The original event is gone. It's how anything that replaces draws prevents you from decking out, because you never draw from an empty library.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is this version of Heliod the first god not to have any form of indestructible?

Edit: or some kind of mechanic to stay around, like the ones the Bolas god's had.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 20, 2023

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this version of Heliod the first god not to have any form of indestructible?

The Kaldheim gods were very destructible.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Kaldheim gods were very destructible.

I misremembered them as demigods. Pretty sure this is the first Therosi god not to have it or a devotion condition.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

After the last few sets, Kobolds have gotten more representation in the last 10 years than Shandalar.

It's very cool. Also, :goonsay: but several of the more recent core sets took place on shandalar. Definitely the one with the nu-slivers. It's where Liliana found the chain veil so whatever set had that too.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Hell yeah, give me people from Mercadia.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The worst part of what we've seen so far still remains the logo which really looks like it is just ripping off the avengers lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The worst part of what we've seen so far still remains the logo which really looks like it is just ripping off the avengers lol

I’m not crazy about the name tbh.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fadam posted:

I’m not crazy about the name tbh.

yeah i'm like what machines?

the phyrexians? are the heroes from each plane the machines? compleation doesn't make you a machine it makes you weird and kinda cyborgy, but that's still not a machine.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
They really just liked going from ONE to MOM. I'm not sure what the next set's code is but hopefully someone's thinking hard about how to set up the punchline.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ixalan: Death and Dinosaurs

DAD

Amonkhet: Survivors in Sand

SIS

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The Watch is Over (TWO)

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think that's compleated kolaghan in the invasion of tarkir art :(

also I believe the eldraine set is "Wilds of Eldraine" so... WOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Procrastinator posted:

also I believe the eldraine set is "Wilds of Eldraine" so... WOE

woe... toxic be upon ye