Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Futaba Anzu posted:

it's symbolic

Heresy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Everybody focuses on Bocchi's pink hair but never remember the two members of her band with ketchup and blueberry flavored hair.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's important for the primary colors to be represented at all times.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Malsangoroth posted:

All anime characters live in an alternate Japan where colored hair is perfectly normal and nothing out of the ordinary. Unless the anime has an American in it, they are blonde haired and blue eyed. And even then that's not a guarantee.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's important for the primary colors to be represented at all times.

Pink is the most primary colour

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bocchi as Ringo tracks.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kita somehow being both the Pete Best and Ringo of Kessoku Band is amusing

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Malsangoroth posted:

All anime characters live in a universe where colored hair is perfectly normal and nothing out of the ordinary. Unless the anime is going for a serious, mature atmosphere where the designs hew to normal earthen tones. And even then that's not a guarantee.

I'm not really interested in a "lore" answer to the question, but what it means to us, as readers of the work.

SexyBlindfold posted:

When an anime doesn't use unnatural hair colors, it's either because it's deliberately going for a very grounded, realistic feel, because the artist is really good at drawing distinct faces (part of the reason weird hair colors became so commonplace is that the go-to manga+anime art style tends towards sameface), or both.

So that was my initial feeling, that it's a circumvention of the lack of individual facial detail. But my anime experience is almost totally pertained to Miyazaki, and he doesn't do this, despite hardly much more detailed facial features.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's really just a thing for character distinction, if it helps at all you can just think of it as for the benefit of the viewers and not their "real" colors. or a metaphor. or something

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KVeezy3 posted:

So that was my initial feeling, that it's a circumvention of the lack of individual facial detail. But my anime experience is almost totally pertained to Miyazaki, and he doesn't do this, despite hardly much more detailed facial features.

The Ghibli films always put in a ton of work making all the characters within a movie distinguishable via facial features, clothing, voices, the way they move, etc etc

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The young rock kids dye their hair and dont go to a school where that's illegal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the actual answer is that to a japanese person, especially to a japanese person back in the 70s/80s when colored anime was first a thing, the idea of a person with blonde hair and the idea of a person with pink hair were basically equally alien and foreign. natural shades like that largely dont occur in japanese people, or even most japanese minority cultures like the ryukyuan. which is relevant when the country is like 99% japanese people.

So combine that with the fact that early anime designs were extremely simple and usually weren't detailed enough for much facial distinction beyond gender and age, hair color was a good way to make the cast visually distinct. Plus, they appealed to kids, the main market of animation at the time. even stories that were trying to be relatively serious, like the original gundam, leaned into things like characters with bright blue hair.

Observe Char's plausible platinum blonde beneath his helmet compared to Garma's violet hair.

Around this time, the 80s, anime's been around long enough that people entering the animation and manga industries aren't doing so out of nothing, they're doing so as fans of animation and manga. So even as anime and manga diversify beyond relatively simple, quick toy commercials and into things with a variety of stories and tones, this visual cue is still there. As mentioned, some creators buck it to go for an extremely grounded tone, or because it suits their artstyle, but it's the exception, not the norm. Even Miyazaki isn't completely immune to it, though his stuff usually reserves it for characters that are meant to be mystical or otherworldly in nature, but you can still see it in a few characters of the week from the Lupin the 3rd stuff he worked on.

As time's gone on, it's even influenced real life fashion trends - dyed hair is extremely common among young women in Japan, partly to, again, stand out in a crowd that's genetically heavily biased towards black or brown hair, but also because of anime's influence. So even if it's obviously meant to be their 'real' colors, seeing a group of teen girls with brightly colored hair like this wouldn't be that weird in real life in Japan. (though some teachers would get mad at them for it, naturally.)

It's even present in works that do have enough facial distinction to tell the characters apart without it. At this point, you can just think of it as a common artistic license. It's started to gain a visual language of its own - blue haired characters are usually serious or cool, like Ryo in this show, etc. Obviously that isn't a hard rule or anything, but like anything that's common, people tend to do word association in their brains, both on a fanbase side and on an artist side.

And ultimately, it's fun, so there's no real reason not to do it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

And now for something completely different.

I present to you: Bocchi: The Rock

https://twitter.com/osakechan0/status/1627348781984518144?s=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i also imagine it has something to do with early color tv animation in japan being extremely like, block color-y,

look at this lupin the 3rd screenshot. the character's clothes and hair are largely just one solidcolor only broken up by some lines and the film grain. there relaly isn't any shading, so their hair kind of clumps together into one black void on the screen, since goemon, lupin, and jigen all have black hair (well lupin's is more very dark brown but anyway.) if jigen (on the right, with the hat and beard) wore a dark undershirt too hed basically be a floating tie and face.

by comparison honey's hair in this cutie honey screenshot is much more readable despite it also just being largely one solid color with some lines and some film grain.

and here you can see how much more shading and detailing there is in modern anime when it comes to the hair. its likely that it was also a technique used to make characters stand out more on the screen and have motions be more readable. probably the same reason in the lupin screen up top lupin's got that teal suit and cream yellow tie, when the original manga had him wearing a dark red suit. if you compare these screenshots to that gundam screenshot i posted you can see how the shading/detailing evolved in a relatively short amount of time, but the bright bold colors used in gundam for things like char's uniform (or, you know, the giant robots) still helped readability in motion.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

To be fait doing color gradients is probably 1000% easier with digital coloring than painting cells even if you were on a movie budget

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

To be fait doing color gradients is probably 1000% easier with digital coloring than painting cells even if you were on a movie budget

oh definitely but even in the 90s before the digipaint thing you can see how shows are getting a lot darker/moodier/shadiererer

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

In the same vein, Dick Tracy's yellow hat and coat wasn't ever to save on the cost of black ink, but because black-on-black just didn't read at all. If anything, the pure yellow was cheaper than the khaki the creator actually wanted.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

It's even present in works that do have enough facial distinction to tell the characters apart without it. At this point, you can just think of it as a common artistic license. It's started to gain a visual language of its own - blue haired characters are usually serious or cool, like Ryo in this show, etc. Obviously that isn't a hard rule or anything, but like anything that's common, people tend to do word association in their brains, both on a fanbase side and on an artist side.

And ultimately, it's fun, so there's no real reason not to do it.

When treated as an element of their character designs, there's some pretty clear stuff we can read into here. As Endorph already noted, blue haired Ryo is cool and aloof. Nijika has yellow hair, reflecting her optimism and energetic nature. Kita's red hair mirrors her cheerful, almost firey nature for befriending everyone she meets. Bocchi, of course, is the most complex, having pink hair while being very gloomy and insular. Her pink hair might be a reflection of the social butterfly she wants to be, but struggles to achieve. It also brings to mind how Bocchi has deliberately styled herself to look in a way that she believes to be "cool", in hopes of standing out in a crowd and getting people to notice her. We know because of her family that she doesn't dye her hair, it's just naturally pink, but it definitely fits in the character design idea of a kid adopting a hairstyle to be rebellious and punk and stand out in a classroom.

It also helps you get the visual shorthand of "anything pink with a yellow and blue cube next to it = bocchi", which stands as pretty good character design

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Seshoho Cian posted:

It also helps you get the visual shorthand of "anything pink with a yellow and blue cube next to it = bocchi", which stands as pretty good character design

Yep

https://twitter.com/9_bishi/status/1604798492693901312?s=46&t=nH3rCvlfdXAxsw9E-7pShQ

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Actually uses pattern recognition to see anime characters everywhere like a boss.

Bocchi Time

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
up to episode 7, enjoying it.
my favorite gags in the beginning episodes when it pretends its the end of the show, shame it seemed that didn't keep on going.

I thought I been hearing the anime title thrown for a while, so thought there was at least 24 episodes, but only one anime season so far :(

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

In terms of color coded character traits, Sentai series also had a lot of influence as well in dictating some of those. Red generally a leading character, often hot-blooded. Blue either cool and/or smart. Black being mysterious and moody.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

GateOfD posted:

up to episode 7, enjoying it.
my favorite gags in the beginning episodes when it pretends its the end of the show, shame it seemed that didn't keep on going.

I thought I been hearing the anime title thrown for a while, so thought there was at least 24 episodes, but only one anime season so far :(
The good news is that a 2nd season is all but guaranteed - it's standard operating procedure for Houbunsha to to approve one if the 1st sells enough manga copies, and BTR sold a remarkable amount.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Terry van Feleday posted:

The good news is that a 2nd season is all but guaranteed - it's standard operating procedure for Houbunsha to to approve one if the 1st sells enough manga copies, and BTR sold a remarkable amount.

Is selling a remarkable amount - by this point they've done four reprints, and there are at least 1 million copies in circulation.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
A third scanlator has entered the fray for the latest chapter (they don't seem very good)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/BTR_anime/status/1627684507296886784

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
got to episode 8

yea, that was good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Happy birthday Bocchi :toot:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
Up to Episode 10.
Don’t think I like Ryo, all her jokes fall flat on me and she hasn’t bought much to Bochi’s development other than the beginning and despite she having to seem to have the most band experience, she hasn’t helped much in that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Up to Episode 10.
Don’t think I like Ryo, all her jokes fall flat on me and she hasn’t bought much to Bochi’s development other than the beginning and despite she having to seem to have the most band experience, she hasn’t helped much in that
i think the scene where her and bocchi talk in the restaurant is really important to bocchi's growth

and there's a lot of subtle things with ryo (fitting her quiet nature). like in the concert scenes shes always the first one to back bocchi up when she starts taking the lead

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, Ryo seemed pretty central to boosting Boochi's confidence so she could write a song that felt genuine to her rather than just being something that Boochi thought would resonate with an audience. I think Boochi realizing that Ryo is kind of socially weird in her own way and no-one really cares is pretty significant to her development too. Which isn't something Ryo herself directly helped Boochi with, since it was more something Boochi realized due to how Nijika treated Ryo but still required Ryo regardless.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GateOfD posted:

Up to Episode 10.

ryou has done prob the most under the surface for bocchi tho.. like what endorph says she acts as a subtle booster for bocchi all the time, on top of that all those scenes where she breaks down her coolness illusion or acts like a lowkey goofball are acts that help bocchi feel more at ease in the situation

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Ryo unfortunately gets quickly sidelined by drunk chick in the running for coolest bassist.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
My favorite Bocchi & Ryo moment is when they bond over Ryo totally getting and respecting Bocchi's lyrics.

https://i.imgur.com/Eu12y7x.mp4

Then they both share a creepy little laugh together while the background shows blue and pink swirling together :allears:

e: I like this stupid little moment so much, here's a 30 second loop of the weird snickers.

https://i.imgur.com/YilEJue.mp4

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 21, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

tsob posted:

Boochi

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Boochi died on the way back to her home planet.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Ryo is also Bocchi's ideal: a confident self actualized introvert

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
finished the show

episode 12
so the peg and a string broke in the middle of performance, what was bochii doing with the glass sake cup to overcome the mishap?

Sounds like an easy fix, but i guess its a good excuse for her to get a guitar she can call her own.

lol @ the guitarhero account being the family account and her parents seeing all her uploading for the past 4+ years.

love how doting the dad has been the whole show
wonder if there's gonna be a reveal the dad was part of a popular indie band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

GateOfD posted:

finished the show

episode 12
so the peg and a string broke in the middle of performance, what was bochii doing with the glass sake cup to overcome the mishap?

Sounds like an easy fix, but i guess its a good excuse for her to get a guitar she can call her own.

lol @ the guitarhero account being the family account and her parents seeing all her uploading for the past 4+ years.

love how doting the dad has been the whole show
wonder if there's gonna be a reveal the dad was part of a popular indie band

A tuner is crazy easy to fix or replace, but this was also a symbolic retirement of the Les Paul and of her dreams phase vs her new band member status who's achieving her musical goals.

You can never have too many guitars though