Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
DS4, Dualsense, Pro 2, I think the Xbox elite is decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

icantfindaname posted:

Not a retro console questoin per se, but what controller has the best d-pad? Just buy a dualshock 4 or are there any third party ones?

Beard Yawn posted:

I like the 8bitdo Pro 2 a lot.
:haibrower:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The current Xbox pad is the best dpad on the market in my opinion but boy howdy is it clicky

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Barudak posted:

The current Xbox pad is the best dpad on the market in my opinion but boy howdy is it clicky

You don’t mind the bumpers?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

You don’t mind the bumpers?

I thought we were talking dpads only. Bumper wise (R1/L1) I dont think about it and build quality seems fine, but thats also not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Edit: Oh do you mean how the dpad is convex instead of concave? That rules. It gives you so much precision and comfort over a traditional design.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
My favorite is the 8bitdo M30 (Saturn style)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I hate the Xbox's clicky d-pad. 8bitdo is goated.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone tried Hori controllers? I'm not looking for the Sega layout specifically but the Fighting Commander looks pretty cool

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

beer gas canister posted:

My favorite is the 8bitdo M30 (Saturn style)

This is a great controller too.

icantfindaname posted:

Anyone tried Hori controllers? I'm not looking for the Sega layout specifically but the Fighting Commander looks pretty cool

Fighting Commander is pretty decent! It has a contingent of diehards who will go to bat for it, but it’s very rarely the controller I pick up first.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like my Xbox Hori fighting commander but I've found that it doesn't work in all use cases.

Like if I plug it into a WingmanSD and plug that into my Saturn it makes my console do weird poo poo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The latest (the one that comes with the Series S/X) Xbox controller microswitch d-pad really is the best d-pad, it has the feel and precision of using a nice arcade stick but in d-pad form, but as was noted it is really REALLY loud. Also it's a demoted d-pad instead of promoted, so it's not the best controller overall for anything retro, but yeah that d-pad is real nice.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Can't get enough of the D(-pad)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Update on the Miyoo Mini plus-

https://twitter.com/miyoomini/status/1627407023028555778?s=46&t=QIvn9c47LY0Dg5zItTBGKw

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well that impulse buy territory for me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Instinctively* Nice

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

Well that impulse buy territory for me

Yeah if that’s true the things gonna sell like hot cakes.

To hot cake hoarding bot scalpers.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah I think maybe I will just get one to fit in in the thread. Is there an OG Gomeboy color scheme?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah I think maybe I will just get one to fit in in the thread. Is there an OG Gomeboy color scheme?

I would bet my life savings on there being a DMG-001 colour scheme and a Super Famicom colour scheme. Probably also Gamecube Purple.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
These are the 4 color options the original Miyoo Mini came in so I would expect the same for the plus sized model

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Love that translucent blue, definitely gonna bite on the MM+, I like my 351p but don't love the aspect ratio, other than for GBA of course.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/uuepxe/miyoo_mini_size_compared_to_gameboys/

They hosed up the homeboy homage color.

Edit: Gameboy, my spell checker is too young.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 20, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Assepoester posted:

These are the 4 color options the original Miyoo Mini came in so I would expect the same for the plus sized model

I think they'll change the clear blue, that one always seemed to be the least popular and it's not like they can reuse any cases they have left since it's a bigger device.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
clear blue..clue

hmm

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/uuepxe/miyoo_mini_size_compared_to_gameboys/

They hosed up the homeboy homage color.

Edit: Gameboy, my spell checker is too young.
That shade is affectionately known as "nicotine" in the SBC subreddit + RGH discord.

Is there any info out yet on where they're sourcing the displays for the mini+? There was a lot of variance in the colour temperature/clarity of the Blackberry panels in the original mini, hopefully things are gonna be more consistent this time

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
4 Colors for Choose

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

clear blue..clue

hmm

blear, dumbass

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

But it’s clurple

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Transparent blue is true

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

sponges posted:

Why do all of those pre-loaded pi consoles suck so much? I'm the least tech savvy person on earth and I just want to play retro stuff without the hassle of dicking around with ROMs.
Are you new to Third Party Retro Consoles? Well Russ from RetroGameCorps has a video for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYvT-AiGaCk

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

aughhhhhhh i just got my anbernic and i was trying to tweak some of the psp settings and i accidentally made the confirm button down on the d pad???? noooooo how am i supposed to play any psp!!!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Booky posted:

aughhhhhhh i just got my anbernic and i was trying to tweak some of the psp settings and i accidentally made the confirm button down on the d pad???? noooooo how am i supposed to play any psp!!!

rename ppsspp/PSP/SYSTEM/controls.ini to reset the mapping. Where exactly that is depends on the firmware, for many it's actually in the roms/psp/ folder so you can just pop your roms sd card into your pc to do it. For others it may be in /home/<user>/.config/ppsspp, in that case you might be able to get to it using 351files or whatever file browser the stock firmware has if any.

You could also use an OTG adapter to plug a keyboard in and use that to fix it.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 21, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Clurple confirmed.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1628086098437246984

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s the one I’ll be getting then

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Good, gently caress blear

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
hahaha came to post that too. Lets fuckin go.
...Wait, I really don't need this device. Dammit.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Clurple? Cultple!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So if you are feelin froggy you can get this phone for $40

https://youtu.be/fdqLMJV_SSo

It goes in and out of stock so you just have to keep checking

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/802216

Edit actually that video uses a little older processor but it’s probably gonna preform about the same. Also people say the battery life is legit.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
FYI you have to port your number to get that deal. If you are getting a new number you have to pay an extra 30(?)

I got a couple Metro by Tmobile phones for $40 each (comes with 1 month of 30gb highspeed data) for my last roadtrip so I know this. I got the oneplus n200.

However there are tons of mid tier phones you can get for free with $40 plan on their website so you can browse around and see which cpu has the fastest emulation power. If I have a spare number I can do the porting in their store I would get the Moto 6.8" phone or the 1+ n20.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

FYI you have to port your number to get that deal. If you are getting a new number you have to pay an extra 30(?)

The site is saying no port ins required but it’s not in stock right now so I can’t verify that.

Even as a streaming device it’s not bad really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

That’s the one I’ll be getting then

Whoa. That is really cute. If the price is reasonable like they say it will be, I need this!