Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ive had one of these for about 20 years, still works just fine. It’s in a box somewhere since I moved last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

a sexual elk posted:

Ive had one of these for about 20 years, still works just fine. It’s in a box somewhere since I moved last year.

:sickos:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Man, if only. :( None of the clocks at my local Wallyworld have the Wake 2 option, you can only have 1 alarm set at a time.

And yeah, I am in the "gently caress no" camp re: WiFi devices recording everything I say.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

a sexual elk posted:

I had one of those when growing up. I graduated to this in college back in 1995 & never looked back:

The only issue is the middle horizontal LCD light on the far right digit is not working, so sometimes it's a little difficult to distinguish if it's a 0 or an 8.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
yeah because you need it to be portable i think a phone might be a good option. there are also digital watches that can do it. amazon listed potty training watches for rechargeable/digital

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

yeah because you need it to be portable i think a phone might be a good option. there are also digital watches that can do it. amazon listed potty training watches for rechargeable/digital

Oh I never thought of a [smart] watch, that's a good call.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What's a good entry level telescope? Like I can imagine it's the sort of thing where there are extremely lovely ones for extremely cheap, but where does the "pretty ok" level start? Bonus points for easily available in Australia.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

What's a good entry level telescope? Like I can imagine it's the sort of thing where there are extremely lovely ones for extremely cheap, but where does the "pretty ok" level start? Bonus points for easily available in Australia.

There's an Amateur Astronomy thread that might be able to give some good answers.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

St_Ides posted:

There's an Amateur Astronomy thread that might be able to give some good answers.

Thanks! I'll ask there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I bought a temporary cane a few years ago from Goodwill because I didn't think I'd need one for very long or ever again but here we are and it's now a normal part of my day. But my cane is clinical, it's so boring. I want a cool cane, something that looks rad and maybe has cool poo poo in it. But looking online... it seems like canes come in two flavors: gimicky poo poo, which is cool but often comes at the cost of actual walking cane utility (I do actually need it for walking around comfortably) and extremely well made and extremely expensive very pretty carved stuff. Is there a place that uhhh reviews canes? Or is there a cane thread? Or does anyone have any advice about canes?

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

The lucite canes seem pretty neat but I can't vouch for the stability. I had to switch to the clinical one from the foldables and yeah it's ugly as hell but more functional for me. Washi tape and fancy duct tape stick to it pretty well and you can change it out if you get bored of it. If you're looking for a cool shaped one that doesn't cost stupid money you can find them at estate sales and thrift stores pretty often for about 10% of the price. Lots of people collect canes.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Get one with a sword in it

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

credburn posted:

I bought a temporary cane a few years ago from Goodwill because I didn't think I'd need one for very long or ever again but here we are and it's now a normal part of my day. But my cane is clinical, it's so boring. I want a cool cane, something that looks rad and maybe has cool poo poo in it. But looking online... it seems like canes come in two flavors: gimicky poo poo, which is cool but often comes at the cost of actual walking cane utility (I do actually need it for walking around comfortably) and extremely well made and extremely expensive very pretty carved stuff. Is there a place that uhhh reviews canes? Or is there a cane thread? Or does anyone have any advice about canes?

Your local Walgreens will have a few options, Amazon will have more, but https://www.fashionablecanes.com is where I got mine when I had more cash to throw around.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Your local Walgreens will have a few options, Amazon will have more, but https://www.fashionablecanes.com is where I got mine when I had more cash to throw around.

Nice! Thanks!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm looking for a specialized countdown timer for a productivity thing we're doing at work, but I'm not sure it exists. I just want something that can do several consecutive countdowns in a row without touching it (after starting it I mean). So it could count down four hours, then automatically start a 20 minute timer, then start a third timer after that one completes, etc.

A physical product would be preferable to an app, mainly because many people would be using this and phones are the dumbest poo poo in the world when it comes to uptime reliability and usability.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

credburn posted:

Nice! Thanks!

Found one for you... I hope you don't have a dog?

https://fashionablecanes.com/products/bull-penis-tourist-handle-walking-cane

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I appreciate that at least one person bought this "for protection."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's one hell of a bully stick.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
New meaning to the phrase beating em off with a cane

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Probably not the first time this has come up, but does anyone have a collapsible standing desk (or sitting desk I suppose) that they really like? Going to start working in my bedroom on days when we have a sitter over to watch our kid, but I want something that can be stored when I'm not working up there. Only needs to be large enough to fit a laptop and a mousepad.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I remember seeing a brand of sticky mousepads, more like desk-stickers, for use on glass desks. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kind of a crosspost from Musician's Lounge.

This is a real longshot, but... does anyone here happen to be a brass player with a Torpedo bag, and if so, how do you like it? Is it any easier to handle or carry around than a conventional case, and does it protect your instrument good?

I ask because someone in the wind instruments thread posted a link and I'm kinda crushin' on some of the Loredo bags, but I've never used a gig bag before and I'm wondering if one of these will protect my poo poo as well as a case while also maybe being easier to carry.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I. M. Gei posted:

Kind of a crosspost from Musician's Lounge.

This is a real longshot, but... does anyone here happen to be a brass player with a Torpedo bag, and if so, how do you like it? Is it any easier to handle or carry around than a conventional case, and does it protect your instrument good?

I ask because someone in the wind instruments thread posted a link and I'm kinda crushin' on some of the Loredo bags, but I've never used a gig bag before and I'm wondering if one of these will protect my poo poo as well as a case while also maybe being easier to carry.

I don’t know anything about it but I like their masks

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
That looks dumb as hell but Is probably super useful for playing outside in the wind.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I want a little tiny mask on the end of the flute

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Unlike some people I am diligent in masking all of my blowholes. :colbert:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Anyone have experience with these Solgaar closet suitcase/backpacks?

Can't I feel like they could either be gimmicky or actually super nice. Had an Iceland trip recently where I was staying in a different hotel every night and the clothing required each day varied from full winter gear to swim suits. That seems like the ideal use case for something like this?

https://solgaard.co/products/carry-on-closet?variant=41612097978541

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
No experience with that product, but it seems a bit gimmicky. Looks like you lose a bit of space to the system and you can accomplish pretty much the same effect with the konmari method. I used it for the first time on a long winter vacation recently and it's pretty good for keeping everything accessible and compact. You do the fold in this thing she likes so everything stands up and gets packed in a single layer. Only difference in my mind is that you have the suitcase on it's side, vs standing up with the solgaard

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My neighbors really helped me out the last couple weeks and I'd like to get them a nice gift. they're vegan and do a lot of vegetable gardening, are there some nice things that could get them, either good vegan snacks or stuff they could use in their garden or utility tools(like I gave them some very nice powerful flashlights at one point) folks could recommend?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Boozy kombucha

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

depending on how staunch of a vegan they are, kombucha is made from yeast for what that's worth

mystes
May 31, 2006

Futaba Anzu posted:

depending on how staunch of a vegan they are, kombucha is made from yeast for what that's worth
I don't think veganism usually precludes eating fungi considering that they aren't animals

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A lot of vegans are cool with eating mussels and oysters, too. They're basically flesh-based plants.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Conversely there are some that free range eggs and so on despite the animals not being harmed and so forth. I’d recommend you chat with them first to get a read on where they fall, given what you’ve already said I don’t imagine they’d be particularly offended if you fell outside those bounds but it’s a nice thing to do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah they used to have chickens but replaced the chicken pen with a blueberry bush pen instead a few years back. maybe that's when they went full vegan.

I'm more leaning towards small luxury doodads for them instead now rather than vegan snacks. something like the really nice nail clippers I got from this thread, or zojirushi thermoses for when they're out gardening in the summer, stuff like that. was thinking of a budget of like 60-80 bucks.

I plan on eventually buying them a snowblower as a big gift, but that's down the road, probably a gift for before next winter at this point. they're starting to get older and I don't want either of them having an incident while shoveling snow, my boss dropped dead while shoveling "heart attack snow" literally weeks away from retirement, so I've been wary of that ever since. they've always been family to us.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's these grow op sorta looking herb gardens you can buy. Grow fresh herbs year around. Small enough it's not a large ask to put it somewhere. Sleek enough you could keep it on a kitchen counter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I gave it some thought and decided instead of foodstuffs I'm going to get the two of them some really nice zojirushi thermoses so they can have ridiculously cold drinks available while working in the garden, in not-too-huge containers.

on another note, is this the best collection of George Carlin available, or is there a better one? This one looks very thorough, though I've bought "ultimate collections" before that were anything but, so figured I'd ask.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Welp, my mouse died. I'd say this surely has to be the most common request, but I just searched this thread and the last time somebody talked about mouse recommendations was in late 2021? And the OP is looking pretty old.

I need something that lasts and can easily be taken apart and cleaned. I don't mind if it's a silly gamer mouse with all the bells and whistles and rainbow colors. I'm tired of going through cheap $10-15 mice just for the scroll wheel to slowly gunk up and the whole thing die in less than a year. I prefer a wireless mouse. I think I can go up to $50 if I have to.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That first paragraph was fun to read without paying attention to what thread i was in. Best advice i can give on a mouse is to go to a physical electronics/pc store that has a bunch on display and see what feels right - mice and keyboards are like clothing, it's all about how they fit the body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

There's actually a mouse thread, mostly for gaming mice but certainly a lot of talk about office use mice too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963

My immediate suggestion is the Logitech MX Master but I don't know how they do with longevity. Also they're like $80 iirc.