Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
gotta say, following up on earlier discussions, i finally took my partner's 6-speed brompton out for a long ride to see how it handles the bridges here in nyc and... i do not understand that thing's gearing at all. 3rd gear in either the small or big ring seems worthless, the only time i could get close to pedaling comfortably in it i was coming down off a bridge and that thing was wobbly as gently caress at that speed

i will say i don't think i necessarily need lower options because up going up the bridges i was staying in 1st on the bigger ring, just... i kinda feel like this thing could have 3 gears and that would be sufficient? but i've also seen complaints that the 3-gear bikes aren't geared well for climbing the bridges here. i've also seen people talk about going from a 50T ring to a 44T ring as a common mod, and while i don't necessarily need a lower 1st gear, maybe it'd make the rest of the range make a bit more sense.

(half tempted to go to the brompton nyc store tomorrow and take the 3-speed on a test ride on one of the bridges, though the saddles they put on the test bikes would probably make me regret it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You alternate, watch the video here

https://bromptonbikes.com.au/changing-gears-on-a-6-speed-brompton/

We just took ours out for the first real ride, spent four hours bombing around the city and had a blast. My wife really likes it and says it’s comfortable for her, and imho they don’t really feel like they weigh as much as they do. We were able to blast up some pretty steep hills and rail access ramps pretty easily.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

abraham linksys posted:

gotta say, following up on earlier discussions, i finally took my partner's 6-speed brompton out for a long ride to see how it handles the bridges here in nyc and... i do not understand that thing's gearing at all. 3rd gear in either the small or big ring seems worthless, the only time i could get close to pedaling comfortably in it i was coming down off a bridge and that thing was wobbly as gently caress at that speed

i will say i don't think i necessarily need lower options because up going up the bridges i was staying in 1st on the bigger ring, just... i kinda feel like this thing could have 3 gears and that would be sufficient? but i've also seen complaints that the 3-gear bikes aren't geared well for climbing the bridges here. i've also seen people talk about going from a 50T ring to a 44T ring as a common mod, and while i don't necessarily need a lower 1st gear, maybe it'd make the rest of the range make a bit more sense.

(half tempted to go to the brompton nyc store tomorrow and take the 3-speed on a test ride on one of the bridges, though the saddles they put on the test bikes would probably make me regret it)

One of the bike club fellas swears by Bike Friday because they offer Shimano Alfine 8 and 11 speed IGHs. I once looked into retrofitting a used Brompton with an IGH, but the cost of the custom parts kit made it non-sensical.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, i kinda figured this out over time riding around yesterday, kind of a weird setup to get used to. the thing is if the 3-speed was just "1+" to "2+" i think that'd be perfect for nyc (the bridges aren't steep enough to need 1-, and 3-/3+ i really could not get up to enough speed for at all). unfortunately i think it might be more like if you picked 1-, 2-, and 3- or something, and that's why people recommend the 6-speed

also i didn't realize you were only supposed to shift while not pedaling with an internal gear hub, i knew you could and usually i did but i guess pedaling while shifting on that thing can damage it. the other part that is very hard to get used to

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 19, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

It helped me to think of the hub gear like you would a front deraileur and the two speed as the rear

You CAN remove the whole left shifter plus the cogs if you want, since you’re in NY it might be less of a pain to go to the store and exchange. I ordered an A Line for myself and caught a case of remorse after reading about how you really want the six speed if you’ve got hills. Brompton recalled the A line before it was even delivered, refunded it no questions asked, and set me up with a C line that came two days later.

Apr 7, 2003

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Slavvy posted:

Do you eat gels and poo poo full time even when you're not on the bike? Why not, after all it meets your caloric needs just as well as a sandwich.

I'm not racing anyone, I'm not shaving my bike to the last gram or optimizing my clothing aero for maximum performance, why would I want to eat gross astronaut food?

Sorry, the "real food" comment was supposed to be a joke.

wooger posted:

When a long day works out to 4000+ calories burned (via power meter, heart rate, weight etc) it’s really not possible that you’re going to fatten up, and you’ll be unlikely to break even on food + sugary supplements at the end of the day. We all like real food, we just can’t be arsed to prep it at 7am on a Sunday morning, carry it around for 100 miles or add extra storage to our bikes to fit it.

Word.

dema posted:

I always have trouble digesting bars. Honey or maple waffles are good. But, I tend to just pack a PB&J on white bread and/or buy Doritos.

Holy poo poo, where is this? I haven't ridden my bike outside since the fall. What a loving poo poo winter we've had.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 20, 2023

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I'm checking off climbs since moving to Longmont, CO a year ago. Done Rist down to Flagstaff, reckon Lookout will be next.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

No content but the thread title makes me laugh every time I see it :buddy:

Apr 7, 2003

Thank you, Big Taint

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Holy poo poo, where is this? I haven't ridden my bike outside since the fall. What a loving poo poo winter we've had.

It's Lookout. I've done Lookout... 11 times this year. A little windy today, but there were tons of other people out there.

My fitness is a little meh, but it's February.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I did my first 20 mile ride of the year today. Yeah yeah yeah, so what, etc. It was in the 50s Freedomheit (10° - 15° Sillycius), and every time I ride in this temperature range, I know, academically, that I need my cool weather kit: thermal (fleece-lined) tights, a regular jersey, and my thermal jacket that very loudly matches the tights. But when I go outside, the sunshine and mild winds tell me, Tarli! Tarli! C'mon, it's not that bad! Bring along your new summer kit! And I did, because why not? But, yeah, about 30 seconds into the ride, I realized I'd made the right choice with the uglier but perfectly insulating cool weather setup.

Headwind for the first half of the loop wasn't as bad as yesterday, but it made it a little harder to get up to speed. The tailwind was much appreciated on the way back.

Sadly, I've learned that one of our local trails, Schoolhouse, will have a large section closed so that one road crossing in the very middle of it can be closed (including the busy road there) so a pedestrian and, I'm hoping, MUP tunnel can be run beneath the road. One of the guys on the Facebook group for this trail system has mapped out a detour that's not too bad except for one spot. If you take those loops clockwise, you'll have a short 6% grade up when you leave the trail for the roads, and an 1/3rd-mile-long 11% grade down. If you go the other way, well, you get it. So that'll be fun.

This is one thing that's pretty cool about cycling culture: I asked a question about a trail a lot of us locals love, and some guy figured out a workaround, and gave detailed notes about the route. That's pretty cool.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
super late to this particular discussion but i also get shaky and feel like poo poo when i go for longer rides (like longer than 3 miles) (JOKE) so i am particularly fond of superfoodio peanut butter buttons. i eat one every time i hit a red light if i'm cycling on roads, and every time i hit a significant enough corner that i feel like eating a pb button if i'm on cycle paths. gels feel a little too close to soylent green for me and i am not that cyclepilled yet (give it like a year)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What's this trekfest thing coming up? Do they discount any bikes

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

brand engager posted:

What's this trekfest thing coming up? Do they discount any bikes
trekfest?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Doesn't load

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

It's Lookout. I've done Lookout... 11 times this year. A little windy today, but there were tons of other people out there.

My fitness is a little meh, but it's February.

:negative: Ahh it's been too long.

I just can't do it though. After I got an indoor setup, and especially with this winter, the thought of getting dressed in winter gear, packing my bike in my car, driving for 25 minutes, and then trying to watch for ice on the road is just something I can't bring myself to do.

I really gotta move to California some day.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

dema posted:

Lookout?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ilkhan posted:

Lookout?

Lookout

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I just can't do it though. After I got an indoor setup, and especially with this winter, the thought of getting dressed in winter gear, packing my bike in my car, driving for 25 minutes, and then trying to watch for ice on the road is just something I can't bring myself to do.

I really gotta move to California some day.

Eh. Nonsense. If you can get you Cherry Creek trail, you can cruise to Lookout without ice. Some dirty spots on Lookout itself today, but no ice.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It was also 50 degrees today. I highly doubt there was any ice to worry about.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I saw a DS21 STATION WAGON last Saturday.

I think I’ve only seen 3 of these in my entire life (and I’m old).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

jetz0r posted:

The first and only time I've seen one of those stations in good condition was in Lake Tahoe, on a bike path next to a bunch of multi million dollar homes. Every one I've seen around here has been a medusa of frayed steel cables.

Amazingly the last time I looked at it, the one at Swamis Beach in Encinitas, CA was still all there.

Amazing because a good number of homeless hang out there, but many of them use bikes to get around so I’m guessing they look after it.

Mind you this is in an area where employed people live in their cars because it’s THAT EXPENSIVE.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://bromptonbikes.com.au/changing-gears-on-a-6-speed-brompton/

We just took ours out for the first real ride, spent four hours bombing around the city and had a blast. My wife really likes it and says it’s comfortable for her, and imho they don’t really feel like they weigh as much as they do. We were able to blast up some pretty steep hills and rail access ramps pretty easily.

I’ve had mine for 9 years now, use it for business travel and routinely take it on airlines as a carry-on (seat in separate bag).

Steepest hill I’ve climbed on it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

dema posted:

Eh. Nonsense. If you can get you Cherry Creek trail, you can cruise to Lookout without ice. Some dirty spots on Lookout itself today, but no ice.

If people organize to ride Lee Hill to Boulder, after Jamestown, I’d be down. Phenomenal casual climb to Jamestown, then brutal up lee hill, then back down to Boulder for beers.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

gamera009 posted:

If people organize to ride Lee Hill to Boulder, after Jamestown, I’d be down. Phenomenal casual climb to Jamestown, then brutal up lee hill, then back down to Boulder for beers.

I’m game, depending on what the canyon looks like after this coming snow.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

I'm looking for a new bike, and figured I'd come to the goon council to see if anyone had any ideas. I'm basically looking for a carbon fiber road bike with more endurance geometry, somewhere around $3-4k. These are easy enough to find on the internet, but the thing I specifically need help on is paint schemes. Gotta look :krad:, gimme the most garish, neon-nickelodeon paint jobs we got.

Alternatively, if there's a 'custom' paint selector on a bike brand anyone likes, that would be cool as well. That is, assuming the premium isn't too crazy (I think the Trek website wants to to buy an $8k bike minimum to get a custom paint job, and that's before any additional cost for the paint).

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Erluk posted:

I'm looking for a new bike, and figured I'd come to the goon council to see if anyone had any ideas. I'm basically looking for a carbon fiber road bike with more endurance geometry, somewhere around $3-4k. These are easy enough to find on the internet, but the thing I specifically need help on is paint schemes. Gotta look :krad:, gimme the most garish, neon-nickelodeon paint jobs we got.

Alternatively, if there's a 'custom' paint selector on a bike brand anyone likes, that would be cool as well. That is, assuming the premium isn't too crazy (I think the Trek website wants to to buy an $8k bike minimum to get a custom paint job, and that's before any additional cost for the paint).

Ribble SL something with custom paint https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-sl-disc/

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Bud Manstrong posted:

I’m game, depending on what the canyon looks like after this coming snow.

Doesn’t matter if we pound a bunch of beers in Jamestown.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gamera009 posted:

May be game depending on the day/date.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Id probably join. Those are good roads/climbs. Would be up for doing Super James before going over to Lee Hill if the top is riding. One of my favorite climbs in the area.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

gamera009 posted:

Yeah dude. This winter has been rough for finding clear roads. I tried to take my usual gravel path to work this morning and got turned around by solid ice on the path. Haven't ridden that route since December :negative:

Dema making me want to do Lookout again soon too. Haven't been that far south since 2021.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Getting a big bonus from work to go with the raise. And, I have two foolishly expensive hobbies.

I wish there was an affordable gravel bike with a steel frame. Don't know why I want one in steel, but I do. I do want a gravel bike to use on the rough trail near me and maybe the Katy, which is just across the river.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

tarlibone posted:

Getting a big bonus from work to go with the raise. And, I have two foolishly expensive hobbies.

I wish there was an affordable gravel bike with a steel frame. Don't know why I want one in steel, but I do. I do want a gravel bike to use on the rough trail near me and maybe the Katy, which is just across the river.

...define affordable

Apr 7, 2003

tarlibone posted:

I haven't rode this but my LBS owner swears by the Jamis Renegade steel bikes

https://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/adventure-gravel/allroad-adventure/renegade/

I don't like the components at that price point much, fwiw.

e: link defaults to the entire range; affordable steel bikes are 9 and 10 speed. ain't worth it for the cost imho.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 22, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tarlibone posted:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I like my steel frame jamis renegade

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I also got a raise and i am going to just go ahead and buy my own Brompton :v:

I think I can get the ~10% REI co-op rewards if I buy through them, too, so that's at least a nice little discount. it's the rare bike that ships assembled (because, yknow, it's just folded up in the box), too.

gonna keep my big ol' hybrid as my trainer bike or long-distance ride for now. long-term... I might in fact get the same Surly Slavvy just posted? it'd make sense both as a gravel bike that can do terrain a Brompton shouldn't get near, and also a long-distance tourer

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 22, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

I also got a raise and i am going to just go ahead and buy my own Brompton :v:

I think I can get the ~10% REI co-op rewards if I buy through them, too, so that's at least a nice little discount. it's the rare bike that ships assembled (because, yknow, it's just folded up in the box), too.

Did you work out your drivetrain stuff

also torque up everything once you get yours, the manual lists what it all should be; REI sucks at prepping specialty bikes.

buy from REI for the points but get ready to spend some time

PM me if your seatpost slips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

gonna keep my big ol' hybrid as my trainer bike or long-distance ride for now. long-term... I might in fact get the same Surly Slavvy just posted? it'd make sense both as a gravel bike that can do terrain a Brompton shouldn't get near, and also a long-distance tourer

We're keeping our big aluminum Contend AR 1s for trail riding because they are insanely good bikes at cheap prices and we get a lot out of them. I didn't realize when I bought them just how good they were.

The Bromptons we have are for jetting around town and they are great at that. For annoying my wife by making her ride harder than she wants to, gravel bikes all the way