Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to make heads or tails of this.

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/legion-5i-pro-gen-7-(16-inch-intel)/len101g0015?visibleDatas=1258%3A1500.0-1999.991

Almost identical laptops but one GPU is rated as a laptop vs a non laptop.

I was initially looking at the 3070TIs buy that's almost another $1000 so I'm trying to be more realistic with my usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

m.hache posted:

I'm trying to make heads or tails of this.

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/legion-5i-pro-gen-7-(16-inch-intel)/len101g0015?visibleDatas=1258%3A1500.0-1999.991

Almost identical laptops but one GPU is rated as a laptop vs a non laptop.

I was initially looking at the 3070TIs buy that's almost another $1000 so I'm trying to be more realistic with my usage.

Those are both laptop GPUs, the Desktop 3050 non-Ti only comes with 8GB of VRAM and Nvidia hasn't bothered to release a non-laptop 3050 Ti. Both those laptops have the same GPU. Those also look expensive for a 4GB VRAM GPU if gaming is a priority, what's your budget?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

Those are both laptop GPUs, the Desktop 3050 non-Ti only comes with 8GB of VRAM and Nvidia hasn't bothered to release a non-laptop 3050 Ti. Both those laptops have the same GPU. Those also look expensive for a 4GB VRAM GPU if gaming is a priority, what's your budget?

Thanks for the insight. We chatted about it earlier in the thread. My initial expectations were to keep it under $2000 CAD but the 3070TI is closer to $3000 after taxes. I do wonder how much this will shift in the next few months once the 4xxx cards come in. I'm in no rush but this is turning from a "random splurge purchase" to a "That's a lot of cash".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I know the CAD market is different but I think you may be doing something wrong. In general Lenovo.com is a bad place to get Legion, and build-your-own is worse again.

Bestbuy Canada has this Legion with a 3070ti for $2300, and I'd expect if you watch for sales over the next 4 weeks you'll find it under 2k
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...11-eng/16204915

Or actually this one might be a better deal for less
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lenovo-legion-5-gen-7-amd-laptop-15-6-fhd-ips-touch-165hz-narrow-bezel-ryzen-7-6800h/16485349

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah buying direct from Lenovo is generally a ripoff unless you can get them to price match a good deal from another site, stack good coupons, and use a cashback site like Rakuten. I was in the market for a similar laptop before I got my Legion so I’ve been paying attention to Canadian sales recently.

If you’re a member, Costco has a 15.6” Legion 5 with a Ryzen 6600H/3050TI for $1000 CAD. They’re one of the better retailers and have a good return policy. Not knowledgable enough to speak about performance but it’s cheap and should handle light/moderate gaming on a budget:
https://www.costco.ca/lenovo-legion-5-82re003ecc-gaming-laptop%2c-amd-ryzen-5-6600h.product.4000061034.html?langId=-24

Not sure how Canada Computers is as a retailer, but they have sales on laptops fairly regularly. I saw a post on Redflagdeals claim they got Lenovo to price match them even though it wasn’t the same exact model, so that might be worth a try.
16” Legion 5 Pro with Ryzen 6800H/RTX 3060 for 1600 CAD:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_4419_4428&item_id=224224
16” Legion 5i Pro with Intel 12700H/RTX 3070 for 1800 CAD:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_4419_4428&item_id=226007

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 15, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

"Best Buy" really means "Open Box."

Seriously, if you have BBs near you click through the laptops you like and look for open box deals. I got a used Legion 7 Slim for $720 earlier, which is an insane deal. Returned it because I realized I wanted the Legion 5 Pro but being able to try that 7 Slim and know I could return it easily was why I bought the 5 Pro.

Also tried and returned a couple of open box Zephyrus earlier that were great deals.

Some open box deals are only available if there's stock nearby. Others can be shipped, but returned locally.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IncendiaC posted:

Yeah buying direct from Lenovo is generally a ripoff unless you can get them to price match a good deal from another site, stack good coupons, and use a cashback site like Rakuten. I was in the market for a similar laptop before I got my Legion so I’ve been paying attention to Canadian sales recently.

Thinkpad deals are quite common on lenovo.com, legion deals almost never. They actively want the consumer stuff to go through retail channels.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good to know. I'll set some price alerts on certain retailers to scope it out. Canada computers loving suck so I try to avoid them but memory express is rad.

EDIT: Checking Memory Express, found this: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00122387

That seems pretty good.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 15, 2023

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I can't comment on the Canadian value proposition, but in the US, 3070Ti laptops generally don't go on sale for less than 1299 USD.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

m.hache posted:

Good to know. I'll set some price alerts on certain retailers to scope it out. Canada computers loving suck so I try to avoid them but memory express is rad.

EDIT: Checking Memory Express, found this: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00122387

That seems pretty good.

Yeah, I don't know the Canada thing super well but based on some cursory looks that seems like about as good of a deal as I'd expect to see in the near future.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

IncendiaC posted:

If you’re a member, Costco has a 15.6” Legion 5 with a Ryzen 6600H/3050TI for $1000 CAD. They’re one of the better retailers and have a good return policy.

Seriously, I love buying from them. For example, my current laptop was purchased from Costco and, shortly after purchase, they issued an unprompted ~$250 rebate because they noticed a mistake in the specs list (it was a somewhat lower refresh rate in reality--not enough to upset me) and then another unprompted ~$250 refund because it ended up going on further discount a week or two after the purchase (even though it was already on sale when we bought it). I realize some of this is Costco being assertive about covering its own rear end, but I appreciated the initiative and transparency through the process. No games, no sitting on hold with customer service--just money back in the bank.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For the record, a 3050ti and a 3070ti are very different GPUs and will be fits for very different types of games.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mastershakeman posted:

Is this the one you got? My wife has been limping along on a decade old laptop forever and needs to do work zoom calls next week, and would need to plug in an external mic to do so which is a problem since she uses the laptop while moving around 5 different rooms constantly. Nothing more taxing than zoom + office + web browser all at once

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...8&skuId=6502184

Any reason not to just grab this for $499+tax?

this thing already died on us, took it to BB for service, shipped to HP, and in 5 days they gave up and refunded me in the most useless way possible: store credit

I'm pretty disappointed - any other recommendations for comparable laptops at BB? got a whole bunch of 'sorry the computer won't let me refund it to your credit card' crap. it looks like a 'pavilion 360' there is 570 and the envy 360 is 850, which is tough . what about this one?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6502662

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 16, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you call into corporate I am pretty sure you'll be able to get a refund to your CC if the laptop is completely dead.

The Flex's are fine, but they feel (and are) a lot cheaper than the Envy's. I had one for my daughter and although she didn't exactly treat it well, it basically fell apart after 2 years. I got that one for $400 so 2 years isn't bad but yeah, get what you pay for. The battery was alright but it did crap out pretty quick, after about a year or so.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

this thing already died on us, took it to BB for service, shipped to HP, and in 5 days they gave up and refunded me in the most useless way possible: store credit

I'm pretty disappointed - any other recommendations for comparable laptops at BB? got a whole bunch of 'sorry the computer won't let me refund it to your credit card' crap. it looks like a 'pavilion 360' there is 570 and the envy 360 is 850, which is tough . what about this one?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6502662

Can I ask how it died/what went wrong with it? I have that exact model from Best Buy, too, and the only real problem I've run into was a memory stick getting loose, which was probably at least partly my own fault since I had upgraded the RAM myself after purchase.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can I ask how it died/what went wrong with it? I have that exact model from Best Buy, too, and the only real problem I've run into was a memory stick getting loose, which was probably at least partly my own fault since I had upgraded the RAM myself after purchase.

Black screen, 5 long 3 short blinks on capslock, all white. cmos reset didn't fix it. I really liked it for a $500 laptop. Being able to just touch a setting over my wife's shoulder was a game changer

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Black screen, 5 long 3 short blinks on capslock, all white. cmos reset didn't fix it. I really liked it for a $500 laptop. Being able to just touch a setting over my wife's shoulder was a game changer

I know it's too late now, but that does sound reminiscent of the behavior I got with a loose RAM stick. It's not a machine I use a lot, but I'm hoping the whole line isn't compromised since that's my travel machine and I have a conference coming up in May.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wife just joined a small business and they are looking to purchase a few business laptops. These will mostly be docked to screens and external keyboards. Just needs to browse web and do spreadsheets. Unlike my previous ask these don’t need 10key or 1440p but they do need to support dual external displays. Budget is $700 :/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Wife just joined a small business and they are looking to purchase a few business laptops. These will mostly be docked to screens and external keyboards. Just needs to browse web and do spreadsheets. Unlike my previous ask these don’t need 10key or 1440p but they do need to support dual external displays. Budget is $700 :/

How many is a few?

Just really quickly messing around, these E15 Thinkpad with Ryzen 5s and 16GB of Ram come out to be 625 before tax. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=21EDCTO1WWUS1

Or the T14s (personal favorite) https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadt/thinkpad-t14s-g2/20wms1d000
already specced with 16GB are $730

But I'd call Lenovo if you're buying more than a couple and they can probably get you setup.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Putting my 2c in that the t14s is a real good buy

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Really really few. Like 1 to start. Then maybe 2. So not really bulk buy at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Really really few. Like 1 to start. Then maybe 2. So not really bulk buy at all.

Oh yeah then probably just off the website. Although if you're buying over time they may still do something for you to keep you in their ecosystem.

You can also look at HP, avoid Dell at that pricepoint. I think you'd have a hard time coming up with a much better machine for the money than those Thinkpads though.

bike tory posted:

Putting my 2c in that the t14s is a real good buy

Yeah, unfortunately the AMD ones are like $200 more for some reason, which is too bad as I like the AMD version better and its frequently cheaper. The tides of Lenovo's sales are shrouded in dark mystery and not for man to understand.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks. Are E15s available locally at any stores? Probably not for that price?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You can possibly find some, but ThinkPads are not their commercial brand so they tend not to sell them to retailers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are all laptops mostly USB-c charge now? Will all USB-C chargers work across different laptops as long as its spec'd for the appropriate wattage? And even if lower than spec it will just charge slower assuming its not running full tilt on some top end CPU/GPU?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think the charger needs to at least have a 20V profile to charge a laptop. So you might be able to charge one when turned off with a 30W (20V/1.5A), run one in a low power/silent mode (or normal if it's an ultrabook) with a 65W (20V/3.25A), or power a slightly more beefy machine with 100W (20V/5A). I can run my Zephyrus G14 (180W stock charger) in silent mode with a 65W charger and it will charge at 10-15W usually. The same charger will barely sustain the more powerful Flow X16 (240W stock charger), which will still charge when running in silent, but at like 5-10W max. Not all will support up to 100W chargers, either.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 18, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I've definitely charged my 2021 G14 with a 15v 3A, so I don't think it universally needs to be 20v+. but in general the lower power USB-C chargers won't do it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Are all laptops mostly USB-c charge now? Will all USB-C chargers work across different laptops as long as its spec'd for the appropriate wattage? And even if lower than spec it will just charge slower assuming its not running full tilt on some top end CPU/GPU?

My HP 2-in-1 will complain I'm not using an official USB charger with one of my 100w chargers, but not with the other. Both work just fine for it. I also make sure to only use cables rated for the appropriate wattage.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nvidia's website is now listing pricing and pre-orders for RTX Mobile 4000 laptops. They don't have every vendor but it's a good preview of what will be available along with pricing - link

I've been crawling through benchmarks for a while but does anyone know how well a RTX 4000 Mobile would play something like Squad, Escape from Tarkov and Battlefield 2142? It doesn't have to be a ultra quality but if I left the majority of settings at medium what kind of FPS would I get a 1440p and 4k? Or what game is this comparable too?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
RE: USB-C PD charging.

All the Dell's I've had required 20V profile. A bunch of them wouldn't even charge off a Lenovo TB3 dock, I had to plug in the barrel jack also.

Lenovo Legion requires 20V while running, but if you turn it off it will trickle charge from lower profiles.

The HP Elitebooks I've used are pretty permissive. One will even charge from my 18W powerbank (from memory, 9V/2A.)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I've been crawling through benchmarks for a while but does anyone know how well a RTX 4000 Mobile would play something like Squad, Escape from Tarkov and Battlefield 2142? It doesn't have to be a ultra quality but if I left the majority of settings at medium what kind of FPS would I get a 1440p and 4k? Or what game is this comparable too?

We don't know yet.

The 3000 series mobile did pretty good though, I'd start there. You can roughly assume a 4060 will probably be about a 3070/3070ti, and a 4070 will probably be a step above a 3080. Past that it's guesswork.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Is this refurbished ThinkPad X395 a good deal or am I missing something?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's from 2019 so the battery is gonna be average at best but laptops haven't gotten much faster since. Pretty decent deal at $400 yeah. I had to double check and yeah it's got 16gb ram so feel free and pull the trigger on that one

I have an x13 and even I'm considering getting one

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ryzen 3700U isn't great, a 4700U would be an instant buy there, but yeah its a pretty solid deal. The 4000 was a big uplift on mobile, 33%-50% faster, 8/8 instead of 4/8 cores, Vega 7 which was faster with less power on the iGPU. So it'll feel "last gen" in terms of raw power. It was a pretty big jump.

All that said, if this it for office/web browsing yeah it'll do plenty good.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Hadlock posted:

I have an x13 and even I'm considering getting one

Too late I think I grabbed the last one. But thank you!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Ahoy hoy. I perused some CNET articles but I like this thread better - any recs for a sub-$600 casual use laptop? I don't play games more complex than Stardew, might dual boot Linux and Windows for fun (or just run Ubuntu out of the gate), and would like to be able to reliably use it for video calls so decent audio and video are a plus. IDK if that last part is even worth specifying, but I've been working with a Lenovo ThinkBook for only a couple of years (possibly as recently as 2020, memory is hazy but that's the dates on the oldest drivers) and the webcam is trash and the audio input has crapped out completely. I'm frustrated enough with it all that I might opt for a new machine rather than taking this one in to get fixed in any capacity. I know laptops only last a little while but come now.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I need to get a laptop for the first time in 15 years, primarily for some conferences (I've used desktops for work until now). I don't need anything special, just a good value, relatively portable, and decent battery life. Doesn't need a graphics card or a particularly strong processor. Are the ThinkPads posted above the best choice? Or maybe one of the options at Costco, or the current Best Buy sale? Thanks for any suggestions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Doc Fission posted:

Ahoy hoy. I perused some CNET articles but I like this thread better - any recs for a sub-$600 casual use laptop? I don't play games more complex than Stardew, might dual boot Linux and Windows for fun (or just run Ubuntu out of the gate), and would like to be able to reliably use it for video calls so decent audio and video are a plus. IDK if that last part is even worth specifying, but I've been working with a Lenovo ThinkBook for only a couple of years (possibly as recently as 2020, memory is hazy but that's the dates on the oldest drivers) and the webcam is trash and the audio input has crapped out completely. I'm frustrated enough with it all that I might opt for a new machine rather than taking this one in to get fixed in any capacity. I know laptops only last a little while but come now.

$600 is a bit of an awkward spot. $800 would get you to a Macbook Air, which is the king of casual use. Obv not going to load Ubuntu there but you can do some fun unix stuff I guess. Otherwise some ideas:
https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideapad-5-14-laptop-12th-gen-intel-core-i5-1235u-1080p-windows-11.product.100858010.html
This Ideapad is pretty decent if you have a Costco membership, and I think ideapads usually are reasonably decent for loading Ubuntu.

Or the E15 I posted before: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/configurator/cto/index.html?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fforums.somethingawful.com%252F&bundleId=21EDCTO1WWUS1 (I'd definitely step up to 16GB ram, should come to around 625)
or my personal favorit T14 that is around $700
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...gawful.com%252F

Yeah, so if you can go up a little from $600 there's a lot more options

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

runawayturtles posted:

I need to get a laptop for the first time in 15 years, primarily for some conferences (I've used desktops for work until now). I don't need anything special, just a good value, relatively portable, and decent battery life. Doesn't need a graphics card or a particularly strong processor. Are the ThinkPads posted above the best choice? Or maybe one of the options at Costco, or the current Best Buy sale? Thanks for any suggestions.

Budget?

The T14 I posted above would be my pick for reasonably cheap, if you don't care about cost there are better options north of $1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any reason not to jump on this Legion 5 Pro for $1399? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1746503-REG/lenovo_82rf000bus_16_legion_5_pro.html

Seems to check off all the boxes I'm looking for, but not sure if there's a better deal to be had out there.