Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Vermain posted:

i have only peripheral knowledge of wuxing, but i'm assuming it's due to it interpromoting fire (e.g. lightning strikes causing forest fires). still definitely gonna throw people more used to the classical greek elements for a loop

May well be part of it! My mind went to "piercing the earth", too, but I am also no expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Vermain posted:

team ninja has generally been pretty good with their PC ports, with nioh 2 running fabulously on my old clunker on release, so i'm expecting wo long to be about the same

extremely hyped for this friday, i'm gonna be up all night playing the demo
In the comment that explosivo referred to, Biswas didn't specify graphics settings beyond "standard" (presumably meaning a graphics preset), such as what resolution; nevertheless "I'm playing on a Ryzen 5 5600, GTX 1660Super, 16GB DDR4 memory with the game being installed on a gen3 nvme. At standard settings I'm getting pretty solid 60fps, with a few drops here and there."

Compared to the recommended specs for 1080p @ 60 fps with that preset, his graphics card is somewhere below them (RTX 2060 (VRAM 6GB) or RX 5700 XT (VRAM 8GB)) while his CPU is above (Core i7-8700 or Ryzen 5 3600XT), and the recommendations assume a hard drive installation instead of a SSD like Biswas had. For comparison, the game's PC specs page declares the game "Verified to run at 4K (2160p), 60 fps maximum with NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 (VRAM 12GB), with Graphics Settings set to Standard."

If you've got lower... a Core i5-8400 or Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 GB RAM, and a GTX 1650 or RX 570 (both with 4 GB) are the "minimum" specs for 720p @ 30 fps with the "Best Performance" graphics preset, again on a hard drive.

Vermain posted:

goferchan posted:

I think the main thing that's going to throw a lot of people is lightning magic being classified under "Wood"
i have only peripheral knowledge of wuxing, but i'm assuming it's due to it interpromoting fire (e.g. lightning strikes causing forest fires). still definitely gonna throw people more used to the classical greek elements for a loop
Also in this game, poison being classified under Metal; for example, Baihu deals both physical and Toxin damage with its melee attacks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

Also in this game, poison being classified under Metal; for example, Baihu deals both physical and Toxin damage with its melee attacks.

Gonna see how this runs off my ghetto SSD RAID0 for the demo so I can try out my tetanus build :getin:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chortles posted:

that makes more sense to me on an intuitive level given both the west's love of lead poisoning and ancient china's obsession with killing emperors via mercury elixirs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought lightning was classed as metal in the demo and that's what would seem intuitive to me, guess I didn't look closely.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think Wood makes the most sense in relation to other elements if you use something like bamboo as your frame of reference instead of, like, a big old oak tree. It doesn't flow freely like Water but it still demonstrates a certain amount of flexibility

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The thing that's really going to gently caress me over again and again will be Wood being destroyed by Metal rather than Fire. :v:

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Perestroika posted:

The thing that's really going to gently caress me over again and again will be Wood being destroyed by Metal rather than Fire. :v:

Just think "chainsaw beats tree".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the game have anything similar to Nioh's Double Flux/Flux 2?
It's one of the coolest techniques I've seen in an action game and it's so satisfying to do half circles to refill your whole stamina bar, completely negating that lovely dark souls mechanic.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Does the game have anything similar to Nioh's Double Flux/Flux 2?
It's one of the coolest techniques I've seen in an action game and it's so satisfying to do half circles to refill your whole stamina bar, completely negating that lovely dark souls mechanic.
None that I've seen yet... based on the January previews, the only revealed means of gaining Spirit on the right/blue side (High Spirit) of the Spirit Gauge are by connecting with Normal Attacks (whether or not they're blocked or deal damage), successful Deflects, and successful Deflect Counterattacks. If your Spirit is on the left/orange side (Low Spirit) then it'll eventually 'return to neutral' (middle of the Spirit Gauge), the aforementioned three actions will do the same, and getting staggered or committing a Fatal Strike or Shadow Strike with Low Spirit will almost immediately bring it straight to neutral. On the other hand, your Normal Attacks don't cost Spirit, so Ki Pulse/Flux-style techniques aren't as necessary.

I'd say that the current way to gain the most Spirit at once is deflecting Critical Blows (the red unblockable attacks), because if you do so while you have Low Spirit then you'll gain enough Spirit to fill up just over half of the High Spirit side irrespective of how little Spirit you had left, and if the enemy immediately responds with a follow-up/repeat Critical Blow, then Deflecting that (e.g. Zhang Liang's unblockable mace rushes back-to-back) will completely fill the High Spirit side of the Spirit Gauge.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 21, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's unfortunate.
Flux is so satisfying to do, purely mechanically, with your hands. Hopefully it'll turns out that there's some other tech like that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Flux will be missed dearly but they seem to have something similar in place with Weapon Swap Deflects. I remember reading somewhere in the middle of swapping weapons you have some frames where you can deflect attacks, and doing so gets you some bonus

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

Flux will be missed dearly but they seem to have something similar in place with Weapon Swap Deflects. I remember reading somewhere in the middle of swapping weapons you have some frames where you can deflect attacks, and doing so gets you some bonus
This is the Deflect Counterattack:

The September 2022 demo's tutorial description posted:

Quickly change equipped melee weapon and unleash a powerful blow. Timing this action to match an enemy's attack allows you to redirect the attack like a deflect.

Successfully deflecting the enemy's attack and landing your own attack will recover your negative Spirit.
It initially consumes Spirit that is regained if you Deflect with it or if you connect with the weapon-swapping attack; doing both results in a net gain in Spirit. Two examples of that may be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MIcY1trtso&t=286s

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hey when's that demo out, i wanna play this game!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lets hang out posted:

hey when's that demo out, i wanna play this game!

it should be tomorrow, although i've had a hell of a time finding time specifics besides "february 24th"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vermain posted:

it should be tomorrow, although i've had a hell of a time finding time specifics besides "february 24th"

Apparently 00.00 PST

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
There is a demo available for download right now

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calidus posted:

There is a demo available for download right now

the steam page just redirects to the wo long store page, so it might just be an early console preload

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
From what I understand, anything that's available to download now is just the demo from September 2022, while this second/final demo goes live at midnight PT and does not have a preload.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Vermain posted:

the steam page just redirects to the wo long store page, so it might just be an early console preload

Oops sorry yea PS5

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chortles posted:

From what I understand, anything that's available to download now is just the demo from September 2022, while this second/final demo goes live at midnight PT and does not have a preload.

ahhh, that makes sense. shame there's no preload, but i should be able to squeeze in like 40-ish minutes of gameplay before i gotta hit the hay

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Demo seems to be live on Steam, 17GB!

e:
Aright bootin' this bad boy up, bout to see how she runs through Proton :pray:

e2:
Well so far not great. The game boots and the menu looks fine, but when I try to start a new game I just get a black screen. I can hear sound and if I hit buttons I get the little Skip prompt in the corner, but can't seem to actually get any further :negative:

e3:
No info yet on config tips for Steam/Proton tweaks, guess I'm gonna give it a shot on the ol' PS4. Now it really will be tomorrow before I can play :smithicide:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 24, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

couldn't play too much tonight, but i'm liking what i'm seeing so far - definitely feels like a refinement of nioh 2's combat loop, and god drat is the character creator better than ever

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Takes No Damage posted:

Demo seems to be live on Steam, 17GB!

e:
Aright bootin' this bad boy up, bout to see how she runs through Proton :pray:

e2:
Well so far not great. The game boots and the menu looks fine, but when I try to start a new game I just get a black screen. I can hear sound and if I hit buttons I get the little Skip prompt in the corner, but can't seem to actually get any further :negative:

e3:
No info yet on config tips for Steam/Proton tweaks, guess I'm gonna give it a shot on the ol' PS4. Now it really will be tomorrow before I can play :smithicide:

Yeah it seems like the problem's kicking up a lot for more than a few people. I can't actually get the PC demo to boot, it did at first but now it just permanently hangs before even the opening titles, which is a bit of a shame. Hoping it gets fixed up cause I've been hanging out for it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I lied and played to the first checkpoint on PS4. Pretty cool so far, I have no idea what I'm doing but that's to be expected. After Elden Ring the attacks being on the face buttons is wrecking my poo poo, but I'll relearn it eventually. I can tell learning enemy timings for deflects is going to be pretty important. And yeah I skipped most of the character gen stuff but there are a LOT of options for just about everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finished the demo this morning on Steam. I haven't played a lot of Team Ninja stuff before but it seems fun and I got into a really nice groove after killing the first boss and taking his bigass hammer. PC port didn't feel too great though, I was getting really inconsistent frame pacing and the action felt a bit jerky at times. Also when I adjusted my settings at startup the screen kept flickering and I needed a restart to make it go away. There will probably be a driver update before the full release however so hopefully some of those issues can be amended. Overall, fun game! I had no real expectations of playing this before today but now I am eagerly anticipating the full release.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Trying out the demo on Steam. Can't get past the intro cutscene because it's playing in slow motion and can't be skipped. Fun.

Edit: They forgot to package a codec or something with their game.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 24, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finished the demo. Once you get the hang of how they want you to play it feels really good. Seems like you'll have an NPC partner with you for a lot of the game

Also, parrying is improved a lot from the previous demo and isn't as strict. You gain spirit faster now too so spending it on martial arts and spells doesn't feel as bad.

EDIT: Apparently there's a secret boss in the 2nd level?
EDIT2: There is not

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 25, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

Finished the demo. Once you get the hang of how they want you to play it feels really good. Seems like you'll have an NPC partner with you for a lot of the game

Also, parrying is improved a lot from the previous demo and isn't as strict. You gain spirit faster now too so spending it on martial arts and spells doesn't feel as bad.

EDIT: Apparently there's a secret boss in the 2nd level?

How long is the demo?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ulio posted:

How long is the demo?

2 levels

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
pc demo felt pretty wonky, hopefully post-release dlss/xess will help. haven't beaten it yet, but the basic gameplay feels more intuitive, and dodging and parrying work really well

game also has the best character creator i've seen in a game so far, although the default options are good enough you won't need to make your own character

game still needs a good amount of polish, so definitely good to adopt a wait-and-see approach for when reviews and benchmarks come in

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 24, 2023

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I think the PS demo is available to download now. I tried earlier this morning and just got old one from September.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Does your save data from the demo carry over to the final game?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

PlayStation demo: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4108-PPSA14038_00-FINALDEMO0000000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlestonJew posted:

Does your save data from the demo carry over to the final game?

Yes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like there are actually 2 different strong attacks: One when you use it normally, and a different one after deflecting or a light attack

EDIT: By the way there’s an Easter egg in the character creator. One of the default Male sets is just William from Nioh. I think another is the default from Nioh 2.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 24, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

During the second phase of the first boss, after the icon on the right side of the screen is filled and flashing and your buddy is telling you to use the power… how do you use it? The placement of the icon makes it seem like it should be r1 + circle, but that does nothing?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

It’s triangle + circle on PS

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I appreciate the ending cut scene of first level being almost identical to Nioh 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Character creator fuckin rules. There are 3 separate sliders for "moustache curliness adjustment". Bummer it's 60fps locked on PC though!