Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I bounced off the show hard so these might be stupid questions but: Is there a reason he can't tell people about his save point besides "they won't believe me"? Seems like you could figure something out with Groundhog Day amounts of time on your hands. Does he ever get a new checkpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yes, he gets new checkpoints whenever he seems to clear certain challenges, like beating a boss or completing a quest.

As far as telling others, I don't remember, but I think it usually ends poorly, so it's less "I can't tell anyone" and more "telling people isn't really worth the trouble". Didn't get that far ahead though.

e: oh he actually can't tell anyone about his groundhogness, nvm

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 19, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

GloomMouse posted:

I bounced off the show hard so these might be stupid questions but: Is there a reason he can't tell people about his save point besides "they won't believe me"? Seems like you could figure something out with Groundhog Day amounts of time on your hands. Does he ever get a new checkpoint?

he gets a new checkpoint in episode one
at the start we see him getting flashes of memory (of him dying in roms house) in the convenience store, so there was at least one death that returned him there
his next death respawns him at the apple stand, starting to remember is probably what updated it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GloomMouse posted:

if he tries to tell people a spooky shadow woman caresses his heart

the one time he pushed through and told someone anyway they immediately dropped dead

general implication is that telling someone would typically kill him, but if he wants to die it adapts to give him consequences he doesn't want. like the spooky shadow woman is a person who can think and isn't going to let him loophole his way out of it

his checkpoint similarly updates when he does Something Important Enough and
double extra super spoiler that's determined by if he "changes the course of fate" through his actions or something like that. having someone really important die and then getting a checkpoint after their death, making it irreversible, is a very real scenario he must consider

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 19, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

GloomMouse posted:

Whenever he tries to, there's some mysterious damaging force that stops him. Though he only tried to overtly reveal it, I don't know if there's some roundabout way of doing so.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
also, he does not know if his respawn if infinite or if he can run out of lives
and experimenting would involve repeatedly dying and possibly going through traumatizing experiences

the second season touches on a lot of this
him learning he has infinite lives, echidnas proposal
e: the possibility of the worlds where he dies continueing and him respawning in a 'new' world rather than the world resetting

Megamissen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 19, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Well I guess that's one way to keep the plot on track lol

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Megamissen posted:

also, he does not know if his respawn if infinite or if he can run out of lives
and experimenting would involve repeatedly dying and possibly going through traumatizing experiences

IIRC one of the IF stories is about, or at least involves, him going down that road.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Some of the IF stories were actually kind of interesting and its a shame they wont ever be animated.

I need an anime with a rocking soundtrack right now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Some of the IF stories were actually kind of interesting and its a shame they wont ever be animated.

I'm guessing you've seen FLCL already? It's the obvious pick (and I'd say Prog is still worth a look, even if the sound mixing is pretty weak despite picking excellent tracks), but if it's been covered...

Well, I love IBO's soundtrack, but it's more acoustic guitar than rock most of the time, and it's a long one for that. Gridman's "Human Love" variants are good, maybe that? It plays less soundtrack than most, but when it goes, it goes hard. (And the music seems to be diagetic in the sequel Dynazenon)

Attack on Titan and 86 both have Sawano bringing it, that's worth a go. Maybe Macross Plus? Macross 7 also has some great tracks, but it's a long one, with a lot of repetition, both musically and in the plot.

Oh, and Edgerunners. Again, probably something you've seen, but that show uses its soundtrack well.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I actually have never watched FLCL or Gridman so i might dip into those and see if they fit what Im looking for.

I need something to scratch that Symphogear itch basically.

e: KMFDM should do more anime soundtracks because I forgot that this music video got me to watch Patlabor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy6Y3jTWY90

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 20, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Furnaceface posted:

Call of the Night

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Soul Eater and Space Dandy have killer soundtracks

There's also Bleach, I'm only half joking

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Thunderbolt Fantasy has a soundtrack by Sawano Hiroyuki so you know it rocks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furnaceface posted:

I actually have never watched FLCL or Gridman so i might dip into those and see if they fit what Im looking for.

I need something to scratch that Symphogear itch basically.

e: KMFDM should do more anime soundtracks because I forgot that this music video got me to watch Patlabor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy6Y3jTWY90

They used one of their songs for the Chun Li vs Vega fight in the western version of the SF 2 Movie, which is the best fight in the whole thing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

In addition to one's already said like call of the Night, soul eater, and FLCL, I'd throw in Welcome to the NHK, Beck, and Bocchi the Rock

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The show sucks rear end, but the Persona 5 Animation soundtrack slaps

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey everyone, thanks to stumbling upon Saskai and Myaino, I'm now on a bit of a BL kick. I'm looking for more recommendations, either anime or manga. I would prefer stuff where the seme doesn't act like a total doushebag towards the uke.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey everyone, thanks to stumbling upon Saskai and Myaino, I'm now on a bit of a BL kick. I'm looking for more recommendations, either anime or manga. I would prefer stuff where the seme doesn't act like a total doushebag towards the uke.

Given

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BigRed0427 posted:

Hirano and Kagiura, by the same creator

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

BigRed0427 posted:

Yuri On Ice, if you want something less overt

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yuri On Ice, if you want something less overt

Note in this case that less overt means there is a little subtlety to it but the subtext is still in like 30 pt font.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Finished marathonig everything released of Medalist. It's very good. You'll should read it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

That is one of my favourite moments and episodes in the show. The music that plays over it while the snow slowly accumulates is just so well done.

I feel like Ive never actually asked this before but can you guys recommend me some anime from the late 80s and early 90s? Genre doesnt matter in this case. DBZ might be the only anime I have ever watched from that time period and I feel like Ive seen enough modern shows that it might be nice to watch some of the stuff that inspired it.

Saint Seiya

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

started reading Neru, i know it got canned, man the start seemed really cool.

at least i know i can 'finish' it in one sitting

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I watched a bunch of Star Blazers back in the day, but I want to actually watch the whole thing. I know Star Blazers had some changes compared to Yamato but was there any particularly egregious alterations? Is there like a single definitive release of it today folks would recommend?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

I watched a bunch of Star Blazers back in the day, but I want to actually watch the whole thing. I know Star Blazers had some changes compared to Yamato but was there any particularly egregious alterations? Is there like a single definitive release of it today folks would recommend?

Bit of a side-note, but go check out Star Blazers 2199 too if you haven't already. It's a fantastic modern 24-episode remake of the first series that revels in the 70's sci-fi style and soundtrack of the original and goes ham with the "naval boat combat in space" trappings. I loving love the sheer nonsense that is the Dimensional Submarine travelling "underwater".

Maybe don't watch Stat Blazers 2202 though, it's pretty garbage for multiple reasons (Different director).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bit of a side-note, but go check out Star Blazers 2199 too if you haven't already. It's a fantastic modern 24-episode remake of the first series that revels in the 70's sci-fi style and soundtrack of the original and goes ham with the "naval boat combat in space" trappings. I loving love the sheer nonsense that is the Dimensional Submarine travelling "underwater".

Maybe don't watch Stat Blazers 2202 though, it's pretty garbage for multiple reasons (Different director).

Had no idea this existed and will definitely check it out, thanks!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Is there anything with that grungy dirtbag style that Dorohedoro and Dai Dark have? Manga preferably but anime is fine too. I love Q Hayashida's stuff so much.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
could read q hayashida's manga adaptation of maken x

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a video on like the history of animation/anime in Japan? Like why its style evolved like it did, some notable works through history, etc.

I’ve always assumed elements like low frame rates were originally due to budget and then just turned into part of “the look”. Or like eyes under hair being an artifact from cell animation use. Would be interesting to understand the style more.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any thriller/mystery/horror type anime similar to Shiki, Higurashi, Monster? Don't mind manga's either, if they are easy to find digitally. I've heard Naoki Urasawa's other works are good but don't know which one is similar to Monster in that sense.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ulio posted:

Any thriller/mystery/horror type anime similar to Shiki, Higurashi, Monster? Don't mind manga's either, if they are easy to find digitally. I've heard Naoki Urasawa's other works are good but don't know which one is similar to Monster in that sense.

Summertime Rendering

e: for manga, Happiness

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Read Pluto for the love of god.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

They're not exactly the same as Monster but as far as other Urasawa works go Pluto, 20th Century Boys, and Billy Bat are all great manga that are in a similar vein as Monster.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DamnGlitch posted:

Read Pluto for the love of god.

Do not read Pluto.

WATCH Pluto.

... once it comes out

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
....or read Pluto now and watch the anime once it comes out too

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Ulio posted:

One manga that's not an exact match but could scratch that itch is Goodnight Punpun. It starts as a coming-of-age psychological drama with some offbeat touches, but by around the midpoint it starts building this foreboding sense of tension and dread because that bird ain't right. Probably not a good manga to read if you're dealing with serious depression because hoo boy this one hosed me up, but otherwise I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for something bleak but with actual substance behind it, which can apply to most mangas by the same author (I haven't read much of Inio Asano's other works besides Punpun, but I hear Nijigara Holograph is his most horror work, so maybe check that one out too.)

Another horror manga that's been getting pretty rave reviews is The Summer Hikaru Died. I haven't read it so I can't give a full opinion but it also seems to lean on the psychological side, though this one does have a supernatural bent.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Goodnight Punpun is excellent but its some bleak poo poo. If you are decently sadbrains be warned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ulio posted:

Blood on the Tracks, or anything else by Shuzo Oshimi