Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mike Muir namechecks himself on You Can't Bring Me Down and that cracks me up.

Anyway gently caress terfs and racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I will say here is a loving awesome non-TERFy punk band:
Being Jane Lane

I know they aren't TERFy because I have hung out with them a number of times and they're loving cool as poo poo. And the music rocks.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Went to a Suicidal show randomly like 10 years ago, was really good. Lights…camera is a great album. Agree it’s totally underrated on the guitar side

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I have a question about how capos work in music theory. Does it like, transpose things to a new key if I play everything in a Major Key? So like if I put a capo down at the second fret and only played things in the C Major scale would it become me playing things in the D Major scale?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I guess kind of, it really just moves where "open" strings are. Transposing for guitar isn't really an issue unless you're playing open chords or having droning strings or something, you can play the same major scale shape anywhere on the neck any time you want to.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Buschmaki posted:

I have a question about how capos work in music theory. Does it like, transpose things to a new key if I play everything in a Major Key? So like if I put a capo down at the second fret and only played things in the C Major scale would it become me playing things in the D Major scale?

The only thing a capo does is change the key of "open" chords. If you put one on the 3rd fret then play the 7th fret on the A string that will still be an E

But if you play the pattern of a Gmaj chord, as in put your fingers in the same kind of spots, on that capo it will be a A#maj

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bbmaj :reject:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nice stutter

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
FINE B♭m

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hee hee

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Alright yeah my primary question was about the open chords but like, if I play the same pattern as notes in the first position but with the capo on the second fret will that then be a D Major scale? Trying to understand if the capo would like change the relationship between the strings it affects and fretted notes it doesnt affect like that. Sorry for asking when it's something I could like count myself, but taking up music again has made me realize I'm super lovely at math and knowing the alphabet of my native language

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

poo poo dude I gotta calm down. I almost made a Gearpage account.

Edit: my partscaster is ready for pickups:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you mean instead of playing A string 3rd fret, D string open, D string 2nd fret you played A string 5th fret (with a capo on 2), D string open (with a capo on 2), D string 4th fret (with a capo on 2) yeah that would feel like playing a Cmaj scale but it would be Dmaj.

You can also do this without a capo by just moving your hand and individually fretting a note that would be open, so A string 5th, D string 2nd, D string 4th.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you mean instead of playing A string 3rd fret, D string open, D string 2nd fret you played A string 5th fret (with a capo on 2), D string open (with a capo on 2), D string 4th fret (with a capo on 2) yeah that would feel like playing a Cmaj scale but it would be Dmaj.

You can also do this without a capo by just moving your hand and individually fretting a note that would be open, so A string 5th, D string 2nd, D string 4th.

Yeah. The notes are still the same when you fret them, the capo is effectively just moving the nut up, which changes the note of open strings.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is it common for people to name chord shapes/voicings based on open chords? Like an A shape Emin would be x79987 and a C shape Emin could be 775400. Or is that something I made up a long time ago and assumed everyone used or that someone told me it when I first started and it mutated into that

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah that sounds normal to me. You can see the same kind of wording in discussion of CAGED: You have the C shape then the A shape etc up the neck.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

When I use a capo I use it so I can have different drone strings without needing to use a whole new tuning.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

New Fender pickups look cool. More interesting to me than the fact they use cunife pole pieces, the grounded* chrome ring blocking 60 cycle hum is a lift from Lace that should work really really well, obviating the need for a dummy coil which I feel tends to not sound so good.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/fender-cunife-cobalt-chrome-pickups-2023

*note the green ground wire undoubtedly connected to the chrome ring in addition to the start and finish wires.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 19, 2023

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

They def. look cool. Weird that Fender doesn't have anything out about how they sound though. It seems like a no-brainer so send a set to 60 cycle hum/That Pedal Show and similar youtubers.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pondex posted:

They def. look cool. Weird that Fender doesn't have anything out about how they sound though. It seems like a no-brainer so send a set to 60 cycle hum/That Pedal Show and similar youtubers.

The ad copy suggests it has a “high-def” sound which is a buzzword that implies that they have a wide range sound like the humbuckers. This is true in the humbucker because of the windings and pole piece layout but in a normal pole piece arrangement I don’t really buy it. Anyhow the claim is more treble and bass with softer mids.

They should just offer all of their regular pickups with a grounded chrome ring to reduce noise. I would want an alnico 2 set with that more than a cunife set.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 19, 2023

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

re: riot grrrl and TERFs:

i don't know of any high profile 90s bands specifically but i haven't done that much investigating. i know kathleen hanna is alright about it.

my understanding is that a lot of mid-late 20th century feminism, though not all, saw femininity as a construct imposed by men upon women. i assume this is where lots of the embrace of androgyny or masculine expression came from among more militant feminists from that era, but it could be wrong. because of this, they don't understand why someone born a "man" would actually prefer to embody feminine expression, or that femininity would feel more authentic to someone.

third wave feminism that came after it was largely more about actually reclaiming feminine identity-- lots of cis women DO feel like it's authentic to them, therefore they are more able to understand the actual existence of trans women. now obviously not everyone agrees and it's not so cut and dry all the time, but in broad strokes this is my understanding, mostly from listening to like two audiobooks. and eras or schools of thought take a long time to change, there's always bleed over-- and i question how many people actually have a deep seated philosophical belief for trans women not really existing, and more just a general transphobia or lack of comfort with the idea of being near a clocky trans woman or something. that gets solved like anything else: hopefully, eventually it actually happens and you just get used to it. or you meet someone and actually talk to them and realize they're a human being, and where you once felt put off, you now feel sympathetic. i question how many terfs like actually have that belief for a reason and are more just kind of upset at the idea that some people favor femininity, which they view as something that's been used against them. to me it honestly reads a lot like hurt people hurting people.

these days though i think terfs are more actually people who kind of just are conservative but want to be seen as respectable, kind of feminist equivalents of a david brooks or ross douthat or something.

i say this because i think with a very minimal amount of investigation that isn't just coming entirely from a place of hate or discomfort, it becomes incredibly obvious that trans women do have a lot of the same issues as cis women, just very slightly different because of the different experience we have. the tendency of people to reduce us to our genitals, the tendency of people to not take us seriously because we "choose" to have feminine gender expressions, being overly sexualized, people feeling as if our bodies are things for them to judge and critique. cis women have illnesses that lovely doctors just tell them are because of their periods, trans women get sick and lovely doctors just tell us it's because we're on HRT. a lot of it is the same, and what isn't, is very very similar, just under a different name.

didn't mean to drop a trans feminist novel in here but hopefully someone thinks it's interesting. also i don't know anything, so i mean feel free to go read what people have to say about it that are older and smarter than me. i kind of just write punk songs about it but i move the octave of the power chord down to the 7 so it implies a major 7 and call that art.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Most 2nd wave feminists are terfs, if not all. This means just about any boomer who identifies as a feminist from that era and anyone younger who also identifies with that. That is my understanding.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010
Heyo guitar thread, can anyone recommend songs or exercises to get into sweep picking? Running shapes to a metronome is neat and all but I'm working with someone who needs a more engaging context than "boring scale poo poo"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

One last thought on pickup chat: You could probably wrap copper tape around any single coil, say a P90, and solder a ground wire to it resulting in drastically reduced hum. Eddy currents might take some top end off but not much.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nebraska Tim posted:

Heyo guitar thread, can anyone recommend songs or exercises to get into sweep picking? Running shapes to a metronome is neat and all but I'm working with someone who needs a more engaging context than "boring scale poo poo"

Honestly also curious about this - more of a rhythm player but I'm wondering how you'd even build up to Necrophagist-level sweeps.

landgrabber posted:

This was interesting context as I don't really know a lot about riot grrrl and feminist waves (although I'd heard the terminology).

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway re: pop punk:

i imprinted on paramore when i was a small child because my older brother, pre-brand new eyes, put riot on a little ipod shuffle i had. i've been cursed since then. my taste in music basically has not evolved since then.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

If it makes you feel better my brain is cursed in that I keep confusing Paramore with Evanescence. No, I don't know how, yes, I know they are very different.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Is a new sustain block going to do anything on my parts caster? I assume no, but I wanna check because they seem pretty cheap anyways.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Nebraska Tim posted:

That part at the end of 1776 by Iced Earth is a cool little 3 string sweep(I think its a flute, but you can sweep it on guitar to play along to it) that I don't think is very hard if you don't mind playing a shitlord's music. Then for something harder, there is that sick intro to Beyond The Dark Sun by Wintersun.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 20, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

landgrabber posted:

i know kathleen hanna is alright about it.

Oh good, I don't need to stop screaming along to Let Tigre's Decepticon in the car.

(The other stuff was also interesting, too.)

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Kathleen Hanna being a mrs beastie boy will never not be funny, to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

zelah posted:

Kathleen Hanna being a mrs beastie boy will never not be funny, to me.

Also telling Kurt that he smelled like Teen Spirit.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That part at the end of 1776 by Iced Earth is a cool little 3 string sweep(I think its a flute, but you can sweep it on guitar to play along to it) that I don't think is very hard if you don't mind playing a shitlord's music. Then for something harder, there is that sick intro to Beyond The Dark Sun by Wintersun.

Oh no, what's up with Iced Earth? Saying that they've had a shitload of lineup changes, so is it a specific person/period that's problematic?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 20, 2023

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Kathleen Hanna shoved my friend's face into her crotch at a Bikini Kill show because he wouldn't move back to make room in front of the stage for women. It was very funny.

Sucks about Team Dresch being all terfy. Personal Best was a great album. I'm not super surprised though, tbh. They came from a time and scene where confrontational feminism and lesbian separatism were big and I could see how some of them could go terf. Its really lovely though, and I hope its not too many of them. Feminism is, and should be, about justice and dismantling patriarchical oppression and terfist bigotry isn't getting us any closer to that goal.

Anyway, guitars sure are cool huh? Amps are pretty rad too, imo. Love that stuff.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lungboy posted:

Oh no, what's up with Iced Earth? Saying that they've had a shitload of lineup changes, so is it a specific person/period that's problematic?

Jon Schaffer is a founding member of the Oathkeepers far-right militia and pled guilty to storming the US capitol on January 6.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i think kathleen hanna does not like weezer so she DOES still disagree with a large part of what i stand for

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

lately i've been into jimmy eat world's clarity album a ton... love the layering. feels like just a really great blend of different types of rock music that manages to still be cohesive.

way into post-hardcore type tones and lead riffs lately... i'm trying to write more different types of songs and maybe that's the key, instead of always just starting with a chord progression.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Hey people. My guitar teacher cancelled on me in January and then sent a cryptic message that he needs to stop our lessons 'for now'. And hasn't gotten back in touch. Annoying!

So I guess I need to find a new teacher. Has anyone tried an online only teacher? Would you recommend it? It sure would make life a lot easier!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Kazinsal posted:

Jon Schaffer is a founding member of the Oathkeepers far-right militia and pled guilty to storming the US capitol on January 6.

Well, gently caress. That sucks.

The store with the Revstar would only come down another £15 on the price, so £535 for b stock. I can sell the Yamaha gig bag though and it'll end up being £500 or so, which seems extremely good.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

landgrabber posted:

anyway re: pop punk:

i imprinted on paramore when i was a small child because my older brother, pre-brand new eyes, put riot on a little ipod shuffle i had. i've been cursed since then. my taste in music basically has not evolved since then.

at least you're not still hooked on 3rd wave ska like I am because of high school which was *checks notes* 21 years ago.