Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

surf rock posted:

- I do plan to look into Airbnb, but I've had enough sketchy experiences with Airbnb domestically that I'm a little dubious of it in general at this point. Of course, that was usually from me trying to score a deal and going to a place without many reviews. When I look into this, I'll specifically check the Shiodome and Shibuya - Naka Meguro areas.

If you have suggestions for better value, I'm open to it. I've been saving them for five years and when I finally went to use them for the flights on this trip, literally every awards option aside from economy was already booked. So, I feel like I'm going to be dead before I get to use this poo poo in an optimal scenario because award availability is so limited.

I've been hearing a lot of horror stories of people using Airbnb in the states - extra fees, not advertised properly etc. but from my experience staying in Airbnb's in Tokyo, it's been great. You get to stay in actual neighborhoods rather than being surrounded by office buildings in Shinjuku.

So I'm assuming you transferred the miles over to a partner airline? Do you have Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve because you get more value with the Reserve card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Riptor posted:

Hotel Century Southern Tower is great; I've stayed there several times. Its far more "in" everything than the Regency is; the Regency feels far far more separate from the fun stuff, especially at night.

Oh, good to know! Maybe I should be using Google street view as I look at these places; it's hard to tell with some of this stuff just looking at the map.

Busy Bee posted:

I've been hearing a lot of horror stories of people using Airbnb in the states - extra fees, not advertised properly etc. but from my experience staying in Airbnb's in Tokyo, it's been great. You get to stay in actual neighborhoods rather than being surrounded by office buildings in Shinjuku.

So I'm assuming you transferred the miles over to a partner airline? Do you have Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve because you get more value with the Reserve card.

Yeah, U.S. Airbnb sucks now. Also, I've got the Reserve card. Right now I have 244k Chase points; I only transferred 65k to Virgin Atlantic for the flight that I booked last night.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My AirBnB experiences in Japan have all been overwhelmingly positive, save one that was technically just fine, but absolutely photographed from all the “right” angles to miss things like weird holes in the bathroom door, and just kind of hiding the run down feel in general. But I mean, it was a roof and a bed and running water in a nice neighborhood so it didn’t even register after a day or so.

That said, this time around I’m opting for all hotels just because at some point I heard some rumors about AirBnB’s long term stability. That’s probably all they were, rumors, but I still decided to switch it up this time around.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

we're staying at the hilton osaka right now for 5 nights for 500~ bucks because a friend used her f&f discount. i would not pay whatever it would have cost straight up. but i do value a nice room. it's nice for homebase to make you feel good. so use the points if youre not using em to pay for flights imo.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

sidenote: the westin in sendai had loving huge rooms and was cheap af.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

If you like nice hotels, get a nice hotel.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just starting to check logistics around buying tickets for all the dumb tourist stuff I didn’t do when I was in Japan last time.

Universal Studios Japan has a notice on their ticket site that VISA/MC issued outside of Japan are “not available until further notice”. Trying to figure out if this means I just can’t buy tickets online, or whether Canadian cards won’t work inside the park either and I have to show up to the park with a wallet full of bills?

The booking site is run by a third party on behalf of USJ so I am hopeful it just means the former, but.. not sure.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 16, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Any arcades in the Tokyo or Osaka metro worth checking out if I'm not big into rhythm or fighting games?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MJP posted:

Any arcades in the Tokyo or Osaka metro worth checking out if I'm not big into rhythm or fighting games?

Depends on what you do like.
Almost every arcade will have the bottom two floors stuffed full of crane games, and the remaining floors are typically 70-80% rhythm and fighting games, and a large part of the remaining cabinets will be "network games", i.e. virtual trading card games that are often an extension of some mobile game franchise.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

I'm planning to stay at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo

I'm staying there for my upcoming trip in late March. Ping me after April 7th and I'll be happy to opine.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MJP posted:

if you like racing games a most seem to have initial d or wagan midnight games. there's also a game were you pilot a gundam which is only ok for the novelty.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

some kinda jackal posted:

Just starting to check logistics around buying tickets for all the dumb tourist stuff I didn’t do when I was in Japan last time.

Universal Studios Japan has a notice on their ticket site that VISA/MC issued outside of Japan are “not available until further notice”. Trying to figure out if this means I just can’t buy tickets online, or whether Canadian cards won’t work inside the park either and I have to show up to the park with a wallet full of bills?

The booking site is run by a third party on behalf of USJ so I am hopeful it just means the former, but.. not sure.

my wife was able to book tickets with a mastercard via apple pay. so if you have an iphone that's an option. also we're here now. buy the express pass and save yourself time.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

MJP posted:

There's a cool one in akihabara that has a floor or 2 of old shmups if you're into that, I think it's taito hey (I haven't been there since 2015 or something so may not still be there?)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Takadanobaba Mikado Game Center.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Man I need to get fit. Hakuba is so nice and the views so beautiful, with the vast mountain range

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

This. It’s one of the few that is still a game center first, second and third, and not a couple of sad arcade machines behind the legion of purikura and crane games.

If you are in like Shibuya or other big places and walk by a Taito Station or whatever Sega’s chain got rebranded to, or a Round One, it’s worth at least poking your head in. But Mikado is the one I’d suggest making the special effort for.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Wonton posted:

Man I need to get fit. Hakuba is so nice and the views so beautiful, with the vast mountain range

On the other hand, 7 Eleven has Black Thunder ice cream in stock again and the frozen bagged karaage

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I’ll be eat that stuff as I’m near death, I still have time to have a second youth like most mid age dudes.

You guys have fun fu!!!!

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

MJP posted:

Mikado is the most popular one. Besides the main location in Takadanobaba, there's a branch in Ikebukuro.

Akiba also has three good choices: HEY which will have most of what you want on the second floor but some interesting picks on 3/4F as well. There's also the Retro-G on the 6th floor of the biggest Gigo arcade which will have a ton of older racing games, and Super Potato's top floor has a small but solid selection along with an old-timey snack stand. The Taito Station and Leisure Land there will also have a few to choose from but the first three should be enough to scratch that itch.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Is there still unlimited 1000 yen pinball on Friday nights?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

leather fedora posted:

Mikado is the most popular one. Besides the main location in Takadanobaba, there's a branch in Ikebukuro.

Akiba also has three good choices: HEY which will have most of what you want on the second floor but some interesting picks on 3/4F as well. There's also the Retro-G on the 6th floor of the biggest Gigo arcade which will have a ton of older racing games, and Super Potato's top floor has a small but solid selection along with an old-timey snack stand. The Taito Station and Leisure Land there will also have a few to choose from but the first three should be enough to scratch that itch.

Ooooh, this is the good stuff. Any knowledge on if there's an Outrun 2 machine at any of them?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

jesus christ building 3 basement 2f under osaka station is full of gold.

found beef tendon oden from the gods.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

MJP posted:

Ooooh, this is the good stuff. Any knowledge on if there's an Outrun 2 machine at any of them?

Outrun 2 was at that GIGO 6F the last time I was there a few months ago.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

my wife was able to book tickets with a mastercard via apple pay. so if you have an iphone that's an option. also we're here now. buy the express pass and save yourself time.

Oh rock and roll. I'll try the actual buy closer to my May travel since I can't actually select my target dates yet. But it sounds like maybe then ApplePay intermediate solves the issue. Thanks! (and thanks for the tip!)

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

MJP posted:

Yeah, Gigo will have it like DiscoJ said. And I was just reminded of the Showa-style arcade next to the Joypolis in Odaiba which has an Outrunners cab along with lots of classic stuff including pinball tables. Maybe not worth going out of your way for but neat if you're in the area. Joypolis is worth a look too.

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 18, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Boarding my flight now, I can taste the highballs at the other end already

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

field balm posted:

Boarding my flight now, I can taste the highballs at the other end already

Talk about being nice to the cabin staff.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Talk about being nice to the cabin staff.

After servicing the flight crew I also enjoyed a few whisky sodas with a nice meal. Heading to Kanazawa today!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

field balm posted:

After servicing the flight crew I also enjoyed a few whisky sodas with a nice meal. Heading to Kanazawa today!

Fun times!!

Any one have Matsumoto recommendations? I think driving 3 hours to Kanazawa one way is too far for me.

It was raining in hakuba yesterday afternoon to late night. The snows isn’t so great today, thanks climate change.

Wonton fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 19, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wonton posted:

Any one have Matsumoto recommendations? I think driving 3 hours to Kanazawa one way is too far for me.

It's chill as hell, just wander around. Get sanzokuyaki and wasabi green salads at an izakaya. Fresh soba's also big there.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

drat taking the shinkansen after a long flight really reminds you how uncivilised and traumatic air travel is

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

we're staying at the okura for my wife's bday and while the room is baller the okura itself is in a very bad location. up a giant hill from the hibiya line and not much around it. thankfully move tuesday to a hotel near kinshicho station which has more access.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's true. Okura and Otani are designed for taxis not metro ;______;

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We have an hour and a half layover in Haneda on our way to ITM Osaka from the states.

Is this enough time to get us through customs and onto our flight, or should we look for a longer layover?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Should be enough time, customs and stuff shouldn't take more than an hour and there'll be a place to drop your bags just as you leave that area.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Nanigans posted:

We have an hour and a half layover in Haneda on our way to ITM Osaka from the states.

Is this enough time to get us through customs and onto our flight, or should we look for a longer layover?

Are the flights booked together or separately? If separate, 1.5 hrs seems very tight considering the flight from the states to Haneda could be delayed.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i don't get the disney sea hype. the closing show was baller but most of the rides had insane waits(which we either paid to cut, or went on the MUCH shorter single rider line) and were kind of tame. aesthetic was on point but after getting there a little before opening i was aesthetic-ed out by noon.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

i don't get the disney sea hype. the closing show was baller but most of the rides had insane waits(which we either paid to cut, or went on the MUCH shorter single rider line) and were kind of tame. aesthetic was on point but after getting there a little before opening i was aesthetic-ed out by noon.

Hype from who? Find me a post in this thread that said they had a good experience at a Disney park in “Tokyo”.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

the rest of the internet seems enamored with it. i've seen "best theme park in the world" thrown around. give me universal osaka any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Got snowed on for the first time in my life at kenrokuen! Was gonna check out the geisha districts tomorrow but the forecast is max 2 degrees celcius and snowing so might do some museums and shopping instead.