Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm not saying he's surrounded by a phalanx of John Wicks but they probably don't put you on warzone detail when you're fresh out of...Secret Service training school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Doesn't seem to be the case right now in the live feed I'm watching, but the local media here reported earlier that air raid sirens could be heard in background while Biden was giving his speech.

Imagine being the Secret Service and knowing there might be a missile strike inbound on your general location, and it's still not reason enough by itself to interrupt the President giving a speech.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not saying he's surrounded by a phalanx of John Wicks but they probably don't put you on warzone detail when you're fresh out of...Secret Service training school

Dunno, haven't you seen The Recruit?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I guess the US is pretty confident Russia can't launch a missile attack at short notice, or maybe they just know they can't aim for poo poo.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

People talk about the US giving Ukraine 100 billion in war materials etc.

But isn't what's actually happening. Is that the US is giving Ukraine a lot of their older equipment and then paying themselves for it with confiscated Russian money?

Also, about the Biden visit. I wonder how this will affect Russian air attacks against central Ukraine. Accidentally killing the US president could only be bad for them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

But isn't what's actually happening. Is that the US is giving Ukraine a lot of their older equipment and then paying themselves for it with confiscated Russian money?

No, that “understanding” of events doesn't hold water on a whole load from fronts. Starting with U.S. not appropriating sanction assets, yet anyway, and ending with U.S. specifically not controlling anywhere near enough frozen Russian assets to cover for what they've paid already.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

The assets of Russian Central Bank (around 300 bln) were frozen, not seized, so no, they were not spent on weapons and it is unclear what would happen to them since neither US nor EU have developed a procedure for that. EU has not even located them https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-14/eu-sanctions-seek-to-make-banks-divulge-frozen-russian-assets

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 20, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Russia knows and knew of Biden's visit. There's no way they weren't informed.

Also, regarding frozen assets, the USA is still a Rule of Law country. They can't just appropriate frozen assets, and certainly not for themselves. That's pure fantasy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Chalks posted:

I guess the US is pretty confident Russia can't launch a missile attack at short notice, or maybe they just know they can't aim for poo poo.

If they couldn't get Zelensky in one year as he's been in Kyiv as well as toured front line cities, they probably won't be able to get Biden in one day.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Jesus Christ. Russia has been extremely well informed that Biden is in Kyiev today and they will not under any circumstances do anything that can be remotely construed as trying to kill the U.S. president.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Freudian slippers posted:

Jesus Christ. Russia has been extremely well informed that Biden is in Kyiev today and they will not under any circumstances do anything that can be remotely construed as trying to kill the U.S. president.

Whelp, you've convinced me they'll try. When has Russia NOT be stupid about this entire war, including starting it in the first place?

Wonder where the Vice President is today.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Freudian slippers posted:

It's this. Russia knows very well that doing anything even remotely near Biden would be catastrophic, and not even Vova is insane enough to want to intentionally trigger a potential nuclear war. Uh, apologies about Clancychat, but, you know, it seems to be Biden's fault in this case :argh:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Rappaport posted:

It's this. Russia knows very well that doing anything even remotely near Biden would be catastrophic, and not even Vova is insane enough to want to intentionally trigger a potential nuclear war. Uh, apologies about Clancychat, but, you know, it seems to be Biden's fault in this case :argh:
I think we'd go to mundane and gritty direct NATO involvment first rather than the sexy and spectacular sun-dropping missiles.

Man, it's crazy it's been a year already. Rewind the clock back around 12 months, we'd have:

-unconfirmed information of assaults everywhere in Ukraine
-talks of the VDV getting slaughtered when dropping - also largely unconfirmed
-the miraculous survival of Zelensky
-lots and lots of Black Sea activity - I think that conflict froze like half a year ago
-the new migration crisis in Poland and surrounding areas

50% of the posters were sure that this war would be done by today - and that's including the ones that were optimistic. Goes to show war is unpredictable hell.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloomberg has put up a feature about global food security. Nothing especially new if you have followed the efforts to sanction Russian fertilizer manufacturers, but it's a good and current overview on what's going on with the global fertilizer manufacturing. In short, the USA & Canada combined barely outproduce Russia & Belarus combined, and China produces more than either of the pairings, bar potash. And those are 5 of 6 major fertilizer manufacturers, the remaining one being India.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rappaport posted:

The real clancychat is people seriously saying that Russia is gonna attempt to murder the POTUS. Like Jesus Christ use your head and think this through a bit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So how many SAM launchers are the Secret Service going to incompetently leave behind in Kyiv when Air Force One departs?

EDIT: I am being informed that Biden may have taken a train from Poland. :doh:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 20, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

I am uncertain if this was meant about today's visit specifically, but, so far, we're at a $500mn mark. https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...6#liveblog-body

quote:

Speaking after the pair held talks, Mr Zelenskyy said the military support will be worth $500m (£415.7m), and more details will be announced on Tuesday.

The White House added the package will include HIMARS ammunition, anti-armour systems and air surveillance radars.

Additional sanctions will also be placed on Russia, and companies that are trying to "evade or backfill Russia's war machine".

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Snippet from Punchbowl's morning newsletter:

quote:

Air Force One departed Joint Base Andrews outside Washington early Sunday morning under a tight veil of secrecy. Biden’s official schedule said he was supposed to be at the White House on Monday preparing for a two-day trip to Poland. Only a handful of aides were with Biden in Kyiv, including National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan and Jen O’Malley Dillon, deputy chief of staff.

And yeah AF1 apparently took him to Poland then he went by train to Kyiv.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

The real clancychat is people seriously saying that Russia is gonna attempt to murder the POTUS. Like Jesus Christ use your head and think this through a bit.

They will try super hard not to hit Kyiv, but in a show of competence and maintenance efforts that we so love Russia for, will only hit Kyiv. :v:

I mean obviously this was communicated in advance and everyone is going to be super careful not to hit Biden, but let's have some fun before we acknowledge the boring reality.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Navalny came out with a 15 point political platform, which includes recognising Ukraine’s 1991 borders (including Crimea), and reparations for Ukraine

https://twitter.com/navalny/status/1627632098608644099

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Antigravitas posted:

Russia knows and knew of Biden's visit. There's no way they weren't informed.

Also, regarding frozen assets, the USA is still a Rule of Law country. They can't just appropriate frozen assets, and certainly not for themselves. That's pure fantasy.

Just have a US cop pull over over Russia. No one seems to question the stuff that goes missing.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So how many SAM launchers are the Secret Service going to incompetently leave behind in Kyiv when Air Force One departs?

EDIT: I am being informed that Biden may have taken a train from Poland. :doh:

Of course he would take the train, he's Amtrak Joe!

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 20, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brown Moses posted:

Navalny came out with a 15 point political platform, which includes recognising Ukraine’s 1991 borders (including Crimea), and reparations for Ukraine

Hope he takes it easy on drinking tea after this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

While I do find the absence of “Crimea is Ukraine” conspicuous, given the specific political prevalence of “Crimea is ours” in Russian discourse, “1991 borders” being publicly invoked does put his money where his mouth is, credit where due.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fragrag posted:

Of course he would take the train, he's Amtrak Joe!

Now he's PKP Joe

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Antigravitas posted:

Isn't that exactly what happened to the Afghani funds that were somehow redirected to 911 victims or something?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1627623132528779264?t=rhF2ud8IQjUcbq-9M2KXTQ&s=19

Remember when some people expected this guy to become a next Minister of Defense or a warlord king and now he is relegated to publicly crying about being cut off from supplies.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Now he's PKP Joe

A fate so terrible even politicians don't deserve. At least make him EuroCity Joe..

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Confirming what we already expected, from the BBC's live feed:

quote:

US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan has confirmed the presidential delegation did notify Russia about President Biden's trip to Kyiv.

The trip had been in the works for a few months, but a "go" decision was made on Friday.

The White House let the Russians know of the trip a few hours before departure on Sunday morning.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FT has a handy summary of Biden's visit to Kyiv, from arrival to departure. Featuring a funny video from Reuters with reporters swarming like bees around the pair of presidents walking to the wreath laying ceremony, and, in addition to the $500mn package, some tidbits from Sullivan. As per him, a major topic of the discussions between Zelenskyy and Biden was to discuss what Ukraine sees as its 2023 in the war, and the overall endgame of it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

I'm glad he's explicitly reverted his old stance on Crimea ('it's not a sandwich to be passed around back and forth'). His analysis of Russia's imperial narratives and their prevalence among Russians is, on the other hand, very surface-level and overly optimistic, to put it lightly. Not to mention that it's not the best time to compare Russia to Belarus on that front. Some people might also take exception with his 'we must defeat Putin on the free marketplace of ideas though electoral process' plan. A good read overall, though, something the majority of Russian opposition can get behind, even the weirdos from Yabloko.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think the Belarus tangent was awkward, but I took that part of the message more to be a pushback to the casual xenophobia of Russians being like a D&D faction born with +2 to imperialism. Like with Crimea, here he did also say the “countries with preconditions” bit, which explicitly means that Russia has the conditions to have that problem, and so I think the jury is out on whether if he's an optimist here, a diplomat, or a person constrained by the word count limit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moon Slayer posted:

Confirming what we already expected, from the BBC's live feed:

To the Office of the President of the Russian Federation

We're going to Kyiv this morning.

gently caress around and find out.

From the Office of the President of the United States of America

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Moon Slayer posted:

Snippet from Punchbowl's morning newsletter:

And yeah AF1 apparently took him to Poland then he went by train to Kyiv.

All of this was just an excuse for Biden to use trains again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shogeton posted:

He wants to visit a country with competent railroad authorities.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

He wants to visit a country with competent railroad authorities.

Man you joke, but there's definitely going to be a cottage industry of Ukrainian railway and postal services consultants in like 2030s or whatever that are going to rake in some sweet cash for unfucking these things for other regions. As far as I can tell, those two things work better in wartime Ukraine than in peacetime Latvia.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 20, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Sereri posted:

Isn't that exactly what happened to the Afghani funds that were somehow redirected to 911 victims or something?

No

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shogeton posted:

Funnily enough there are rumours that Putin is now so afraid of assassination that he has stopped flying altogether and only travels in his armoured train like Kim. If the world leaders have switched from planes to trains then maybe we have some hope with CO2 goals yet :v:

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

"What are your qualifications for this job to manage all the trains of New York Grand Station? I don't see any kind of background in logistics in your education."
"I was a Logisitcs officer in the Ukranian armed forces during Russia's invasion"
"When can you start?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think the Belarus tangent was awkward, but I took that part of the message more to be a pushback to the casual xenophobia of Russians being like a D&D faction born with +2 to imperialism. Like with Crimea, here he did also say the “countries with preconditions” bit, which explicitly means that Russia has the conditions to have that problem, and so I think the jury is out on whether if he's an optimist here, a diplomat, or a person constrained by the word count limit.

I get what he was trying to say with that Belarus comparison, and I definitely agree that Russians are only predisposed to imperialism due to historical circumstance, just like any other nation with an imperial past, not because they are literally a certain LotR race. I actually used to deploy a similar argument before the war, when discussing the need for cooperation between Belarusian and Russian opposition with the more. But now that Belarusian state propaganda almost exclusively amplifies Russia's imperial narratives as the direct result of Russia exercising its imperial ambitions over Ukraine and Belarus, it's just bound to cause controversy. He could have made the same point without the comparison, it was just lazy and unnecessary, although I get that after 2 years in prison he might not be completely in touch with the discourse.

Funnily, the infamous crazy libertarian Mikhail Svetov, who is ostensibly against the war, but spends more time bemoaning woke culture and China's covid policies, has already said that the theses must be a forgery by Navalny's treacherous statist team, since Navalny would never proclaim something so anti-Russian and anti-liberal. So when I said all Russian opposition could get behind the message, I was terribly wrong.