Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any tips for staining the cut edge of the butcher block counter? It seems to soak up a lot of stain and get extra dark. Keep sanding beyond 220 grit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
End grain always soaks up stains and finishes more than long grain does. Folks in the woodworking thread might have some tips to help you get a more consistent look, but so far as I know it's just a fact of life.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FogHelmut posted:

Any tips for staining the cut edge of the butcher block counter? It seems to soak up a lot of stain and get extra dark. Keep sanding beyond 220 grit?
Yes you need to sand it more. Make sure you are sanding up through the grits, (80>120>180>220) and not leaving a bunch of sanding scratches from coarser grits before you move to a finer grit. You may need to sand the end grain to a higher grit than the side grain, but in general it's a problem of bad sanding (end grain being much harder) than of needing to sand finer.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The side grain where I had cut it is being hidden against the wall, but it took a much darker stain than the factory finished side grain. I did do a quick go-over on the factory side with 220 to take off the outer layer before staining.

I'm doing another piece where the cut side grain is being exposed, so I'll give it a good go with the sander.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

you can also dilute the stain, or try using a stain conditioner, but in both cases you'd want to experiment with an offcut

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Trying to plan ahead for warmer, drier weather and I want to repaint my porch. I have a belt sander to try and make my life easier. Assuming all the wood is good, what grits should I probably work with? I don't think I need to start with something as abrasive as an 80, but I want to do it correctly. Also, it it ok to run the sander over the screw heads (assuming they are at or below surface level)?

As for paint, I do want paint as opposed to stain. Is there a better brand or style? Do I just want exterior house paint, or do they make a specific, higher wear-and-tear style paint for porches? Should I get some kind of sealer, or would a good brand have an all in one?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

CzarChasm posted:

Trying to plan ahead for warmer, drier weather and I want to repaint my porch. I have a belt sander to try and make my life easier. Assuming all the wood is good, what grits should I probably work with? I don't think I need to start with something as abrasive as an 80, but I want to do it correctly. Also, it it ok to run the sander over the screw heads (assuming they are at or below surface level)?

As for paint, I do want paint as opposed to stain. Is there a better brand or style? Do I just want exterior house paint, or do they make a specific, higher wear-and-tear style paint for porches? Should I get some kind of sealer, or would a good brand have an all in one?

What is the surface now that you are trying to remove? Its a near certainty you should not start with a sander at all, but rather some form of paint/finish stripper.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I'd disagree on chemical stripping, personally. It's messy and can then impregnate the wood to some degree and mess with your new paint if there's any residue left in or on the wood.

Is the existing paint in good shape and sound or is it peeling, flaking, etc? If it's down tight and just a latex I'd just clean the poo poo out of it, scuff sand, and paint over it with an acrylic porch and floor paint from your paint retailer of choice. Don't use a regular exterior house paint, they'll be too soft and will pick up lots of dirt and wear poorly.

If you're gonna sand it bare I'd probably start with 60 or 80 grit to remove most of the paint and finish with maybe 220 at most. You don't want to sand it too slick, you want somewhat of a surface profile for the paint to get a good mechanical bond to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I expect that if you tried to use a belt sander to remove paint, you'd just gum up the belt really quickly.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't make the mistake I did... don't decide to pressure wash the deck after sanding to clean all the crap off it. You'll just raise the grain of the wood and have to sand it all again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why does my furnace sometimes make a higher pitched tone? i hear it when I first turn up the temp after I wake up. But later in the day, when it turns on I don't hear it at all.

edit: ok i took a video, you can hear it pretty clearly halfway through

https://i.imgur.com/aIUy7F6.mp4

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 18, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm probably going to be using Spax powerlags to bulk up and strengthen a few sections of my joists where I'm replacing the subfloor, but the following wording has me confused:

"When reinforcing joists, it’s important to sister the joists no less than 48" on center sandwiching the compromised joist.
Using SPAX PowerLags on a staggered pattern every 12" is the most secure way to repair a joist.

I'm just a bit confused by the bold wording in here.

Also, I keep seeing different terms for the same thing: Sister, scabbing, trimmers, etc for attaching wood to the side of a joist. What are the differences?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just got mostly done with removing my old bathroom exhaust fan and installing a new one. Two questions:

The previous installer mangled the drywall hole and patched their work with some sort of drywall compound and mesh tape, all this was sorta glued to the previous unit so I had to cut it away. Should I replace like with like here, or would it be fine to seal the 1/4-1/2" gaps with fireblock foam? From the underside the small gap is covered by the fan cover so it's not a matter of looks.

Also I taped the exhaust duct to the fan unit with 3M aluminum foil tape but the attachment point is plastic so it doesn't seem to stick as well as it does to metal, should I put more tape on wrapped from the ducting all the way to the metal body of the fan unit? (picture below for clarity)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

I just got mostly done with removing my old bathroom exhaust fan and installing a new one. Two questions:

The previous installer mangled the drywall hole and patched their work with some sort of drywall compound and mesh tape, all this was sorta glued to the previous unit so I had to cut it away. Should I replace like with like here, or would it be fine to seal the 1/4-1/2" gaps with fireblock foam? From the underside the small gap is covered by the fan cover so it's not a matter of looks.

Also I taped the exhaust duct to the fan unit with 3M aluminum foil tape but the attachment point is plastic so it doesn't seem to stick as well as it does to metal, should I put more tape on wrapped from the ducting all the way to the metal body of the fan unit? (picture below for clarity)

I'd consider putting a rigid metal elbow in there. The bend radius on that flex ducting doesn't look particularly great.

For the plastic->duct transition, what I've done is get a couple zipties to hold it on, then put some self-tapping screws right behind the zipties so there's no way they can fall off.

That tape should stick pretty well if the surfaces were clean.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

devicenull posted:

I'd consider putting a rigid metal elbow in there. The bend radius on that flex ducting doesn't look particularly great.

For the plastic->duct transition, what I've done is get a couple zipties to hold it on, then put some self-tapping screws right behind the zipties so there's no way they can fall off.

That tape should stick pretty well if the surfaces were clean.

I was on the fence about it, and probably should have posed it as a question already, so thanks for the input. I'll grab this 4" 90 degree elbow along with the other stuff I need probably tomorrow and give it a better flow path.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

I’d suggest putting a worm clamp over the taped joining of the duct and exhaust outlet for added security.

Also devicenull’s suggestion of a rigid elbow is a good idea. But bear in mind that most exhaust fans have design specifications that advise against elbows placed so close to the exhaust outlet. My Panasonic Whisper fan for example recommends 2-3 feet of straight run before an elbow, or else the fan detects excessive air pressure and shuts itself off automatically.

But then again that 2-3 foot spacing might not be a luxury that you have. In that case I’d just put the elbow in, any way.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

I’d suggest putting a worm clamp over the taped joining of the duct and exhaust outlet for added security.

Also devicenull’s suggestion of a rigid elbow is a good idea. But bear in mind that most exhaust fans have design specifications that advise against elbows placed so close to the exhaust outlet. My Panasonic Whisper fan for example recommends 2-3 feet of straight run before an elbow, or else the fan detects excessive air pressure and shuts itself off automatically.

But then again that 2-3 foot spacing might not be a luxury that you have. In that case I’d just put the elbow in, any way.

I have a whirlpool OTR microwave that advertises 400 CFM airflow at max speed, with a 90* elbow about 18” from the outlet and a couple more downstream. Never had a problem with excessive back-pressure, for what it’s worth. Big difference between 18” and 6”, though.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lawnie posted:

I have a whirlpool OTR microwave that advertises 400 CFM airflow at max speed, with a 90* elbow about 18” from the outlet and a couple more downstream. Never had a problem with excessive back-pressure, for what it’s worth. Big difference between 18” and 6”, though.
Yeah I had a cramped setup similar to tangy’s. I was able to add a bit of a straight run but not quite 2-3 feet as recommended by the manufacturer. No problems so far. Just something worth keeping in mind IF lucky enough to have some maneuvering space.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The install instructions have multiple setup diagrams that show 90s right away being fine so I guess this particular model doesn't have that issue.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm probably going to be using Spax powerlags to bulk up and strengthen a few sections of my joists where I'm replacing the subfloor, but the following wording has me confused:

"When reinforcing joists, it’s important to sister the joists no less than 48" on center sandwiching the compromised joist.
Using SPAX PowerLags on a staggered pattern every 12" is the most secure way to repair a joist.

I'm just a bit confused by the bold wording in here.

Also, I keep seeing different terms for the same thing: Sister, scabbing, trimmers, etc for attaching wood to the side of a joist. What are the differences?

Just to get the ball rolling:

The bolded above reads to me like two sisters at least 48" long on either side of the compromised joist, but I'm not a fan of such general guidance when it comes to structural framing, especially when it's coming from a marketing dept.

How bad are the joists to be sistered? What's the span? Where in the span is the joist compromised? What sort of load are they supporting?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Stain came out even, thanks

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I rent an first floor/basement 2 story unit that has a very specific minor flooding issue I’d like to solve. There’s a gangway on the side that splits in two - a concrete divider wall separates our building from the basement front door to our south. On our side there’s a drain slightly below grade, about 6 inches in diameter with holes roughly double the radius of a pencil eraser.

The flooding issue only happens in absolutely torrential rain, where you get like a half inch in 5-10 minutes. I’ve seen rain sheeting off the back of the roof of the south building, which then disturbs the top soil in the backyard, which then flows with the water out of the backyard, down the gangway, and drains out of our drain. This extra sediment ends up blocking our drain, and enough water pools that it rises over the edge of the concrete, soaks past a ~1x2 wood lining along the edge of the building, and seeps down the side and into our basement floor. If I just sweep a bit during the heaviest rain, the sediment mixes enough to easily drain but I’m tired of doing that and it won’t stop it if it’s overnight.

So how can I fix this? Couple of ides spring to mind: seal the wood on the edge of the building with waterproof caulk, modify the drain to handle sediment better, add some sort of mesh screen upstream of where the water pools to keep sediment from blocking the drain. But I figured y’all might have some solid ideas on how to approach this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Enderzero posted:

I rent an first floor/basement 2 story unit that has a very specific minor flooding issue

Contact your landlord, this is their problem. Even "minor" flooding can potentially cause a ton of damage, but literally none of it is your responsibility because you don't own the property.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

FogHelmut posted:

Stain came out even, thanks

Sorry to tell you about the angry muppet in your house

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
How am I supposed to get a nice loop on this brand new fancy outdoor GFCI outlet?

Taken before I flipped the loop to clockwise. But these screws have a captive nut inside the housing. They don’t stand out as you unscrew them, and the plastic surround doesn’t have any clearance above the screw to slip the wire through.

There weren’t any other in stock options other than this brand, either.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mr.belowaverage posted:

How am I supposed to get a nice loop on this brand new fancy outdoor GFCI outlet?

Taken before I flipped the loop to clockwise. But these screws have a captive nut inside the housing. They don’t stand out as you unscrew them, and the plastic surround doesn’t have any clearance above the screw to slip the wire through.

There weren’t any other in stock options other than this brand, either.

Struggle and swear. My local store also only ahs these sometimes and it's a huge pain in the dick. Like they want you to burn your house down with backstabs.
I generally hold them with the screw pointing down then sit there and struggle and swear, or use a small screwdriver to keep pressure on it to get the wire in.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Expose at least twice the length of copper that you have.

Bend it around in a loop with a long tail. bend the loop so that it is at an angle (like a spoon to its handle) and slip it over the screw.

In the alternative that may be a clamp-style connector, and the clamp plate is not rising with the screw. In such case, loosen the screw all the way & gently pry the clamp up with a narrow screwdriver (or fork tine)to get the wire under it.

Third option is to back the screw all the way out (you will have to force it) and thread the screw through the loop & re-secure it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Please list the amount of swear words you have used, in which order, and show either callouses or bloody fingertips. We will let you know where in the incantation you have made an error.

I do the expose too much, make a half loop, force it around, then correct with needle nose and snip excess method above. Plus the obvious incantations.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Last I installed one of those I had to hold it upside down while screwing as the clamp or whatever had come loose and wouldn't catch at all otherwise.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Please list the amount of swear words you have used, in which order, and show either callouses or bloody fingertips. We will let you know where in the incantation you have made an error.

I do the expose too much, make a half loop, force it around, then correct with needle nose and snip excess method above. Plus the obvious incantations.

Usually it's something like
unscrew terminal and find that they dont' stay out..
gently caress.. it's one of these pieces of poo poo, why the gently caress do they make these pieces of poo poo like this, why did I buy this poo poo.. gently caress me. I'd pay the extra penny to not deal with this loving bullshit..
grab wires and turn by hand.. poke finger.. DAMNIT, MOTHER FUCKER!
Turn upsideodwn and try again.. FUCKER GO IN, WHY.. I HATE YOU there's now blood on the wire..
it goes in after some fiddling and wiggling
Maybe the blood is the secret?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Maybe the blood is the secret?

The ancient secret of construction projects is revealed to us all in time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how do I easily get this out? I was able to turn it a bit with a 2mm hex, but obviously it doesn't fit those little openings on all six sides. and because it's jammed in the corner, it's a huge pain in the rear end to get any leverage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Get a torx bit or hex bit for a driver and an extension. One of those zillion in one kits with extension is a really valuable thing in the toolbox for this exact moment. And also putting together ikea furniture.

If you're desperate and have an extra allen key of appropriate size + keyless/keyed chuck drill then saw/bolt cutter off the angle, knock off the edges, and put it in your drill. :getin: (I doubt it would reach unfortunately.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is that a torx plus? i think so because it has six of those little bump-outs

https://www.mcmaster.com/torx-bits/for-drive-style~torx-plus/driver-style~l-key/

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

actionjackson posted:

how do I easily get this out? I was able to turn it a bit with a 2mm hex, but obviously it doesn't fit those little openings on all six sides. and because it's jammed in the corner, it's a huge pain in the rear end to get any leverage

A torx bit is the best bet, but you can go down in contact points on the driver in relation to the screw if you're desperate. So a small square bit may work by making contact with 4/6 of the points, or a small flat bit may work as well by making contact with 2 points, with some potential damage to the screw.

It's common in some assembly industries (like trailers) to use torx screws with square bits drivers. The bit is more robust, and engages easier in the screw.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i decided to just say gently caress it and be stubborn. it was something where the drawer was just barely misaligned, maybe 2 mm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

PainterofCrap posted:

Expose at least twice the length of copper that you have.

Bend it around in a loop with a long tail. bend the loop so that it is at an angle (like a spoon to its handle) and slip it over the screw.

This is kinda my usual method. The problem with this device, is the gap between the screw and the plastic is smaller than the wire thickness.

I ended up with a loop that was too wide, kinda jammed it into the gap point-first, rotated it so it was under the screw, then tried to close the loop with a small flathead. Takes 2 minutes instead of two seconds

quote:

Third option is to back the screw all the way out (you will have to force it) and thread the screw through the loop & re-secure it.

Yeah the captive nut under the contact plate is loose inside, plus there is some element that stops it from unthreading all the way out without excessive force. Then you can try your luck holding it upside down and trying to catch the threads to screw it back in.

I just don’t see how this design made it out of prototype

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Aren't those the OK kind of receptacles to use rear wire spots on? It looks like the ones where they're held in by the screw rather than a lovely spring.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Hulk smash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
So a lightbulb burned out in a room here and when I opened the fixture, it turned out it had this behind it:

It also had a piece of foil of the same shape that I guess used to be glued to it but by the time I found it nothing was holding it there but the light bulb itself. As I understand it, this is insulation to keep the heat of the bulb from burning the wiring inside the fixture. The bulb in there was a halogen bulb, real old, if I'm replacing it with an LED bulb do I even need to bother with replacing this foam piece?

Also, now that I'm looking behind where it was, it looks like this:

What am I looking at on the light wire, it looks like the insulation on it has somehow rusted and cracked? Should this whole thing be replaced?