Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Love that the thalia and gitrog art is just them housing some phyrexians. Innistrad people ready to just fight whatever, whenever.

For the phyrexians it was the culmination of years of careful planning to invade the multiverse. To the people of innistrad, it was Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
ONE

MOM

WON

JAR

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Arivia posted:

yeah i'm like what machines?

the phyrexians? are the heroes from each plane the machines? compleation doesn't make you a machine it makes you weird and kinda cyborgy, but that's still not a machine.

I thought where they were going with the urza/teferi thing was that it'd be urza's machines marching/conquering the multiverse due to teferi's message. Like he'd show up at the end of ONE with a massive robot army and everyone (including the phyrexians) would have to team up to beat him or something

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean, Elesh Norn's faction is the Machine Orthodoxy of Phyrexia. The Phyrexians are the Machines marching upon the multiverse I do not understand how this keeps coming up as a question.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
At the end of the day aren't we all just sentient, autonomous meat machines

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Mezzanon posted:

Love that the thalia and gitrog art is just them housing some phyrexians. Innistrad people ready to just fight whatever, whenever.

For the phyrexians it was the culmination of years of careful planning to invade the multiverse. To the people of innistrad, it was Wednesday.

they did already fight a bunch of eldrazi, who's to say which is worse????

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Scryfall will probably just add a search modifier like pips>=3 or something

Here it is: https://scryfall.com/search?q=mana%3A%2F%5Csc%5Csc%5Csc%2F

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Arivia posted:

the phyrexians? are the heroes from each plane the machines? compleation doesn't make you a machine it makes you weird and kinda cyborgy, but that's still not a machine.

phyrexians are machines. They replaced any possible part of their body with machines. They have oil instead of bodily fluids, metal instead of skin, metallic cables instead of veins. That is the whole point of compleation.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 20, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Urabrask and Ayara are getting married

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How’s limited been lately?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

BizarroAzrael posted:

I hope the Tarkir teamup is Zurgo and Kolaghan.

Ridiculous number of options for Ravnica but Teysa and Tajic or Ral and Tomik make sense, I think.

Tibor And Lumia And Borborygmos

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Urabrask and Ayara are getting married

I can change her

- Urabrask, probably

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lets Pickle posted:

Atraxa gets New Capenna presumably because it's a story point that Norn sends Atraxa to level that plane.

The flavour text of Bloodfell Caves has Atraxa going to New Capenna. Blossoming Sands is Amonkhet (with the green Phyrexians mentioned), Dismal Backwater is Kamigawa, Jungle Hollow Ixalan, Rugged Highlands Zendikar, Scoured Barrens Ikoira, Swiftwater Cliffs Kaladesh (with Jin), Thornwood Falls Eldraine, Tranquil Cove Theros and Wind-Scarred Crag Dominaria (with Norn).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Rinkles posted:

How’s limited been lately?

Define "lately"

I'm pretty bad at limited, but. Dominaria United was very good, although domain payoffs meant you could play soup (with some focus in green), which led to a lot of decks feeling a little samey. Brothers War was unexpectedly good. I think there was a lot of concern about the assertiveness of the format and loving Wurmcoil Engine, but the gameplay ended up being solid. The throwback artifacts ended up having, on balance, a very fun effect on the set. ONE is still new-ish but people are down on it. I think we've gotten over the "worst format ever" initial judgments, but I don't think anyone is really calling it great. It is definitely very fast, which stifles a lot of archetypes. I'm sure people will never get over The Eternal Wanderer at rare.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The flavour text of Bloodfell Caves has Atraxa going to New Capenna.

That seems like a very dumb move considering if any plans knows how to fight an Uber Angel it's the plane that literally wiped Angels off the face of the planet

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I loved DMU, BRO wasn't my cup of tea but seemed decent and ONE i think sucks rear end as a draft format.

This opinion is obviously informed by ONE draft kicking my rear end but i think there's plenty to critique about the format, like color imbalance or how snowbally it can be. Also half of the rares being awful and the other half being pretty bomby

Personally i'm just going to chalk ONE up as 'not for me' and start saving up for MOM, that set already looks dope.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SalTheBard posted:

That seems like a very dumb move considering if any plans knows how to fight an Uber Angel it's the plane that literally wiped Angels off the face of the planet

Atraxa has plot armor though, my bet is on all the planes except Eldraine falling (and maybe Lorwyn because its defenses are similar)

because Urabask isn't there to invade, to him compleation has to be voluntary

Serf
May 5, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

IIRC the angels gave themselves up to stop the Phyrexians and left the demons in control of New Capenna. Also angel juice is Phyrexian poison? This seems like something that would have come up when Urza fought them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Apologies if this is a dumb question with an obvious answer, but did stores/people receive their orders for the secret lairs that had these cards in them yet:

I just ordered them as singles as part of a bigger order and just realized I might not be getting it for a while, lol

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Don't think so, but it's due pretty soon iirc

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't think so, but it's due pretty soon iirc

Thanks!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm seeking some minor rules clarification that may be obvious but I was just kind of curious how it's articulated by, say, a judge.

Opponent has a Virus Beetle, blocks one of my creatures, and casts Undying Malice on it. Before the effect occurs, I exile the Beetle from opponent's graveyard using Armored Scrapgorger. The effect fizzles. Why?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I'm seeking some minor rules clarification that may be obvious but I was just kind of curious how it's articulated by, say, a judge.

Opponent has a Virus Beetle, blocks one of my creatures, and casts Undying Malice on it. Before the effect occurs, I exile the Beetle from opponent's graveyard using Armored Scrapgorger. The effect fizzles. Why?

i assume by 'effect' you mean "the trigger from undying malice that returns the card from the graveyard to play," and it doesn't do that because the card is no longer in the graveyard. i'm not really sure what bit is confusing you without you explaining a bit more? the potentially unintuitive thing here could be that "dies" is actually very specific shorthand in MTG for "is put into the graveyard from the battlefield" but you're already aware it's in the yard for george to target

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

When the virus Beetle is exiled the game basically lost track of it and thinks the exiled virus beetle is a new virus beetle. So when that Undying Malice-given trigger resolves it can only return the virus beetle that is in the graveyard. The virus beetle in exile is not the same as far as the game knows.
WE know it's the same card, but in game rules those are two separate virus beetles.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

That's also why I thought at first they might try some super Sentai Mecha poo poo. With the art shown so far I no longer think there's any hope of that and instead it's just the Phyrexians and their lovely a scibble language are fast n loose with the word and we translate it over as steamed, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

Edit: there are also some compleated posters ITT who insist the Phyrexians are an Aurora borealis in the kitchen

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that isn't entirely accurate, but yeah that could also be where the confusion lies.

triggers relating to cards generally refer to 'this card in this zone' and when cards change zones that information gets lost and it's treated as a new game object. this also is the case even if the card's still in the same zone after the disruptive effect resolves -- a common play pattern is having a creature of yours targeted with removal and then using an effect like Ephemerate to ''blink' or flicker' the creature, causing the removal spell to fizzle

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

flatluigi posted:

the potentially unintuitive thing here could be that "dies" is actually very specific shorthand in MTG for "is put into the graveyard from the battlefield"

It was basically this. Arena shows the Beetle in the graveyard already and the trigger targets it there.

Thanks for the responses!

e: I mean I guess what the Undying Malice text is saying without saying is "return it from the graveyard to the battlefield" and that's why it fizzles. Right?

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 20, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It was basically this. Arena shows the Beetle in the graveyard already and the trigger targets it there.

e: I mean I guess what the Undying Malice text is saying without saying is "return it from the graveyard to the battlefield" and that's why it fizzles. Right?

Basically: when something dies it moves to the graveyard. Then the trigger goes on the stack that says "oh hey, cardname died, time to return it from the graveyard back to the battlefield"

Only, because the card was exiled, it's not actually IN the graveyard anymore. So there's nothing to return to the battlefield.

That's not really a rules accurate interpretation I spose, but it's how I think about it! Edit: it's the same way replacement effect stuff works. Like if you have a Rest in Peace in play, nothing that cares about the graveyard works because instead of going to the graveyard when the creature dies, it's replaced by being exiled

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
some fun things about 'dies' as a shorthand
- it's technically shorthand for when any permanent goes to the graveyard from the battlefield, not just creatures; we've seen it used for planeswalkers on Ajani's Last Stand but the only thing stopping the templating 'when an artifact dies' is people getting confused about life and living in the first place. very relatable
- token creatures die! tokens are removed from the game when they go to the graveyard, but they still 'go to the graveyard from play' and all dies triggers work on them
- commanders used to only trigger 'dies' effects if you actually put them into the graveyard instead of back into the command zone, but that was eventually fixed in rules so that people can actually run fun on-death legendaries as commander and have it be functional

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

- token creatures die! tokens are removed from the game when they go to the graveyard, but they still 'go to the graveyard from play' and all dies triggers work on them

Is this true? I guess I've never tried it, but I didn't think giving a token Undying or something would work because the instant it enters the graveyard the token itself ceases to exist so there's nothing to return

It definitely works for blood artist effects though if that's what you mean.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

tokens can't be returned from the graveyard because they are exiled from it as a state-based effect, but they are correct that tokens hitting the graveyard do matter for 'whenever a creature dies' triggers, like you mentioned, for aristocrats-style decks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

First: It doesn't actually fizzle. Fizzling is when it's removed from the stack without resolving. The trigger will still resolve, but because it's trying to do only one thing and it can't do that one thing, there's no discernable impact on the game.
Second: Even if you managed to put the Virus Beetle back into the graveyard it wouldn't matter:
400.7. An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous existence.
Third: You're probably asking then "well hold up, how can it ever trigger then since the beetle in the GY isn't the one on the battlefield, how does it know it has a trigger?" well don't worry we have that covered too because It cut off that rule which says it has some exceptions:
400.7e Abilities that trigger when an object moves from one zone to another (for example, “When Rancor is put into a graveyard from the battlefield”) can find the new object that it became in the zone it moved to when the ability triggered, if that zone is a public zone.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Is this true? I guess I've never tried it, but I didn't think giving a token Undying or something would work because the instant it enters the graveyard the token itself ceases to exist so there's nothing to return

It definitely works for blood artist effects though if that's what you mean.

111.7. A token that’s in a zone other than the battlefield ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)

E:see my post above about "not actually fizzling" you can trigger undying with a token.
It just can't do anything.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

111.7. A token that’s in a zone other than the battlefield ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)

This is a notable loophole to Leyline of the Void because tokens are not cards, but still trigger.

checks out!

My level of rules understanding of magic is very surface level, one of the only things I mostly understand is enough of the priority stuff for the basics, and that state based actions (like tokens ceasing to exist or lethal damage marked creatures being removed from the battlefield) happen before triggers :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Since we're getting into rules pedantry, be careful about using the word "target". The delayed trigger doesn't target anything in this context. It is already applied to the game object.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Weird Pumpkin posted:

checks out!

My level of rules understanding of magic is very surface level, one of the only things I mostly understand is enough of the priority stuff for the basics, and that state based actions (like tokens ceasing to exist or lethal damage marked creatures being removed from the battlefield) happen before triggers :v:

This is honestly enough for like 90% of Magic play. The stack, turn order and priority, and state-based actions are the most common interactions. The fact that the game CAN be super complex and arcane doesn't mean that it actually is very often.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Blue compleats White on Theros
Red compleats Black on Eldraine

going by the gainlands I assume (if we get a cycle):

Sheoldred compleats either the Reality Chip (would be weird) or Kairi on Kamigawa
Elesh Norn compleats a green Legend on Dominaria
Vorinclex compleats a red Legend on Amonkhet? I thought Hazoret is dead

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Hazoret is the only god not dead, in support of your theory

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It’s time to Compleat the Pervert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU