Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’d highly recommend The Outlier: The Life and Presidency of Jimmy Carter by Kai Bird, I learned a ton. It’s a well researched account and doesn’t overlook his flaws and mistakes, like his terrible relationship with a democrat Congress preventing big stuff from getting done, but is also highlights his achievements like his ridiculously intensive effort to get the Camp David Accords done.

Also lots of interesting tidbits like his grandfather being murdered by a business partner in a dispute over office furniture and when he left as governor he carefully make sure the mansion’s furnace was turned down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’d highly recommend The Outlier: The Life and Presidency of Jimmy Carter by Kai Bird, I learned a ton. It’s a well researched account and doesn’t overlook his flaws and mistakes, like his terrible relationship with a democrat Congress preventing big stuff from getting done, but is also highlights his achievements like his ridiculously intensive effort to get the Camp David Accords done.

Also lots of interesting tidbits like his grandfather being murdered by a business partner in a dispute over office furniture and when he left as governor he carefully make sure the mansion’s furnace was turned down.

I've had this on my "to-read" list for awhile now. Should probably get around to it sooner than later.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Another case of don't meet your heroes.

Although its ironic given his Law and Order character was also whacked out paranoid like that.

Big time Garibaldi from Babylon 5 vibes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've had this on my "to-read" list for awhile now. Should probably get around to it sooner than later.

It’s a top tier audiobook.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Handsome Ralph posted:

Sucks but then found out this about him today,

gently caress him for that.

Oh godlovingdammit

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Another case of don't meet your heroes.

Although its ironic given his Law and Order character was also whacked out paranoid like that.

Less ironic and more "he wasn't actually playing a character from Homicide on."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Big time Garibaldi from Babylon 5 vibes

I almost made this exact post. :cheerdoge:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao the Belzer v. Bollea case back in the day, Belzer shouldn't have gotten a penny, man got put in a sleeper hold after begging Hogan to do it, and Hogan refused, only doing it after being heckled by the crowd, Belzer, and Mr. T. Hogan slipped while setting Belzer down and Belzer cracked his head on the concrete and he sued Hogan for 5 million dollars for injuries.

Then again in the US you can sue a homeowner for injuring yourself while breaking and entering on their property lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

orange juche posted:

lmao the Belzer v. Bollea case back in the day, Belzer shouldn't have gotten a penny, man got put in a sleeper hold after begging Hogan to do it, and Hogan refused, only doing it after being heckled by the crowd, Belzer, and Mr. T. Hogan slipped while setting Belzer down and Belzer cracked his head on the concrete and he sued Hogan for 5 million dollars for injuries.

Then again in the US you can sue a homeowner for injuring yourself while breaking and entering on their property lol.

Hard disagree. A major part of professional wrestling is control and safety of your partner. Hogan was negligent because of his ego and the stigma that wrestling is fake.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
If Eagle Claw had gone insanely badly (all hostages and military personnel killed or captured and a declaration of war by Iran) would Carter have been able to ride a post-9/11 level popularity wave into the country not changing horses in midstream?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

orange juche posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hogan was a poo poo wrestler and deserves absolutely no benefit of a doubt. His technical skills are negative.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

orange juche posted:

You can sue anyone for anything. Unless you're setting up mantraps or something it will go nowhere.

The case that everyone cites wasn't a home, it was a school. They settled for a nuisance amount because it turned out painted over skylights had already been documented as a risk, but no one had fixed it yet. There was another incident where a student who was up there for legitimate reasons fell through not long after. And even then, if they took it to court they probably would have won anyway. And there have been a bunch of laws passed since that address this scenario specifically. It's not as egregious as the McDonalds hot coffee example, but "tort reform" (read: insulating companies from liability) advocates have amplified this case to shut down legitimate lawsuits, in a lot of states now it can be hard to recover anything even when there's negligence with no crimes involved.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 20, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Editor did their job publishing that story for sure

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/131278372/in-pictures-aerial-pictures-of-esk-valley-reveal-apocalyptic-scene

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Jeeeesus Christ, that doesn't even look like cyclone-caused flood damage, that looks like a loving landslide with the amount of silt deposited and whatnot :stare:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
What do you even do about that? What can you do?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

Yeah, do you even try to dig those houses out? Or build over them? Or throw some disaster recovery money at the residents and let them work out what to do next?

What an awful thing to come home to. A lifetime of memories literally buried.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like Montserrat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

Build somewhere else. I don't know what else is left.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That is some apocalyptic silt. I'm curious if the county will re-zone that area. Seems like unlike the US NZ might be smart enough to leave a risky area to nature instead of shoving 500 houses on it. I'm assuming here that there are counties and zoning laws in New Zealand though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

That is some apocalyptic silt. I'm curious if the county will re-zone that area. Seems like unlike the US NZ might be smart enough to leave a risky area to nature instead of shoving 500 houses on it. I'm assuming here that there are counties and zoning laws in New Zealand though.

It's more a function of our very low population than zoning tbh, and our very rugged terrain particularly in that region

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Also putting forestry blocks fuckin everywhere, although i dunno how much that effected Esk Valley specifically

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What's the elevation in those images? Are they essentially low lying coastal?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1627608739569336320

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. :smith:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy cow

Kyiv in 3 days

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Diamond Joe Arrives Unannounced at Friend's House Right Before Anniversary

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The USSS advance team and CAT must've been making GBS threads bricks

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Good thing the Russians brought their parade uniforms.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FrozenVent posted:

Good thing the Russians brought their parade uniforms.

Just :lol: that he thought he'd march into and take Kyiv in three days but, had he actually pulled it off, where would we be now with Vlad's aspirations to get the band back together?

Would he have been emboldened to pick another ex-SovBloc state to Special Military Operation by this point?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

DeSantis gave an interview where he basically called Putin no threat at all, and MTG is currently calling for a nationwide divorce between red states and blue states. Biden basically needs the GOP to lose their minds while he just presidentials it up and uh

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1627611746591440899?t=YfRKUeVHx8HiYtFvbG4BMQ&s=19

And the air raid is due to:

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1627690921864138753?t=SaNp26KoB_49IJR5L8eNFQ&s=19

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just :lol: that he thought he'd march into and take Kyiv in three days but, had he actually pulled it off, where would we be now with Vlad's aspirations to get the band back together?

Would he have been emboldened to pick another ex-SovBloc state to Special Military Operation by this point?

they would have rolled through the baltics by now and be gearing up to invade poland

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

I can understand knowing when a jet takes off from an airbase since they probably have AWACS airborne right next to the border 24/7, but can they reliably tell what it's armed with? Is that some kind of :nsa: poo poo, or is there some more mundane way to remotely tell?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Spoggerific posted:

I can understand knowing when a jet takes off from an airbase since they probably have AWACS airborne right next to the border 24/7, but can they reliably tell what it's armed with? Is that some kind of :nsa: poo poo, or is there some more mundane way to remotely tell?

a dude in minsk with binoculars probably, the missile is pretty obvious

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Spoggerific posted:

Being able to tell with a large degree of certainty is fully in :nsa: territory, but on the other hand a lot of mundane poo poo is technically :nsa:

E. Like fex. acknowledging you have an actual guy with binoculars and a radio next to the runway

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 20, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

DeSantis gave an interview where he basically called Putin no threat at all, and MTG is currently calling for a nationwide divorce between red states and blue states. Biden basically needs the GOP to lose their minds while he just presidentials it up and uh

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1627611746591440899?t=YfRKUeVHx8HiYtFvbG4BMQ&s=19

MTG doing what I figure Donnie will do in '24 if he loses and offer to bankroll a breakaway state.

You would think Madge would know how it went the last time Georgia was involved in a nationwide divorce, though "The South Is Gonna Rise Again" is a phrase she's probably scribbled at some point.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Was NSA Wizard always referenced with a :nsa: or was there some history there I missed along the way?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Nystral posted:

Was NSA Wizard always referenced with a :nsa: or was there some history there I missed along the way?

https://slate.com/technology/2013/10/nsa-smiley-face-muscular-spying-on-google-yahoo-speaks-volumes-about-agency-s-attitude.html

I barely remember anymore but this seems to have the details

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Spoggerific posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Opsec Wizard hasn’t posted in a while, last I heard he was playing War Thunder and…

Oh.