Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

probably because no one on the dev team wants to be jailed

And yea, giving them the benefit of the doubt let's assume the head of the studio is in Greece and not Russia, if they say anything against the war who knows what risk they might be exposing the Russian-based devs to.

That said, settling on a date extremely close to the day war were declared is a little :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

games should just go back to zero dialogue already

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

here's a good game coming out next month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpX9MsuUmow

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

Atomic Heart comes out tomorrow, and I wanted to play it, but the Russian ties seem kind of gross and shady. Anyone have any details on those? The most I've found was a Eurogamer article that's swayed me away from playing it for the moment.

just play it on GamePass so youre money goes to the Epstein pedo instead of Russian oligarchs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I will say it is very funny that Mundfish was like "we're catching a lot of heat for being funded by Russian industries during this time of sectarian violence, so let's relocate to a country removed from any such conflict: Cyprus!"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

here's a good game coming out next month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpX9MsuUmow

Finally! It's almost here!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jack Trades posted:

Okay but what about the sexy robot girls?

I was under the impression that they were the reason why people were buying that game and not because they were clamoring for more slavjank.

https://twitter.com/dashiellwood/status/1627655164495634432

How disappointing, I prefer consenting sexy robot girls.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sab669 posted:

mouse acceleration that you can't turn off :sigh:

The other stuff is whatever*, this is unforgivable. What the absolute gently caress?

*It's not whatever if it's bad, then it's bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i just watched skill up's review and imagine if the CIRCUS OF VAL-YOOO machines from bioshock were instead voiced by a sexy lady who gasped and moaned about "sticking it in [her]" every time you ever bought anything, at all, or even just wandered into its general vicinity

pathologic this is not

and on the gameplay side the open-world connecting segments are nearly impossible to explore because they're crammed full of enemies that immediately summon reinforcements on sight and are constantly being repaired/respawned with almost no recovery interval, unless you find the region's main security terminal and hack it, which allows you to shut off the respawning...for like ten minutes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

luckily this is a jam packed week of releases. from now until the 28th, we've got:

Like a Dragon: Ishin
Octopath Traveler 2
Kerbal Space Program 2
Company of Heroes 3
Limbus Company (by the developer of Lobotomy Corporation and Library of Ruina)
Phantom Brigade
Sons of the Forest
Scars Above
Blood Bowl 3
Clive N Wrench
Dungeons of Aether
Grim Guardians

and a Destiny 2 expac for the freaks still playing it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

^I mean games journalism has always been a joke.

The one review I just watched basically pointed out the lack of technical features / settings and a poorly fleshed out world as his reasons for not recommending the game.

But again I already slipped Microsoft :10bux: last week so I'll find out how it runs on a 3070 and an i9 10850 soon enough.

Reviewers disagreeing on how important different issues are isn't what makes "games journalism a joke." I don't expect most of them to point out issues with FOV and mouse acceleration these days, and if you focus too much on that stuff you just catch poo poo from a different group of internet assholes.

I watched the ACG review of the game this morning and it seemed pretty fair about pointing out different issues, though the reviewer walked away thinking it was still a really interesting and enjoyable experience.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 20, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that game reviews are considered "game journalism" really weirds me out, like I've never heard a Roger Ebert review called "film journalism"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kennel posted:

https://twitter.com/dashiellwood/status/1627655164495634432

How disappointing, I prefer consenting sexy robot girls.

Way to ruin the one thing you had going for you. Geez.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

that game reviews are considered "game journalism" really weirds me out, like I've never heard a Roger Ebert review called "film journalism"

Yeah honestly that seems dumb to me, too. I don't think it's healthy for people to expect reviewers to have some kind of adversarial relationship with games like they're always looking to uncover something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The wo long fallen dynasty demo also goes up in 4 days and progress will carry to the full game. the first demo was extremely promising and the devs’ list of changes they made in response to feedback responded to pretty much every complaint I had with it. :stoked:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Astral Chain already did horny vending machines. Smh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The wo long fallen dynasty demo also goes up in 4 days and progress will carry to the full game. the first demo was extremely promising and the devs’ list of changes they made in response to feedback responded to pretty much every complaint I had with it. :stoked:
granted i haven't played the demo, but was the feedback "there's too much loot"? cause i doubt they'll ever listen to that!!!!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
just play returnal if you wanna play a new really good game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The 7th Guest posted:

granted i haven't played the demo, but was the feedback "there's too much loot"? cause i doubt they'll ever listen to that!!!!

i will always give CP2077 respect for being one of the only games i've seen attempt to fix the "there is too much useless poo poo to loot" problem in a patch

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In Nioh you could easily just sell/dismantle/donate every piece of look that wasn't Purple of Green and be perfectly fine while at the same time not having to bother with too much loot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The 7th Guest posted:

luckily this is a jam packed week of releases. from now until the 28th, we've got:

Octopath Traveler 2
Kerbal Space Program 2
Company of Heroes 3
Phantom Brigade
Sons of the Forest
Scars Above
Blood Bowl 3
Clive N Wrench
Dungeons of Aether
Grim Guardians

I was a big fan of the jam game that led to Dungeons of Aether so I really hope the finished product is good. The demo was very Cute but really couldn't have been less mechanically interesting if they tried, possibly because the jam version was really brutal at times and they probably assume most of their initial interest will come from people who like the Aether branding rather than strategy fans, like how Gamefreak tricked a generation of nerds into loving mystery dungeon games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm playing Nioh 2 and I thought I hated all the loot until I realized you can mass-sell the loot for Divine Rice which can be used to buy arrows and ochoko cups (for summoning friendly NPCs) which I was persistently out of until that point. Most of the loot is basically just currency where occasionally you can find something you can use but otherwise it's just raw materials for crafting or buying stuff.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Reviewers disagreeing on how important different issues are isn't what makes "games journalism a joke."

I was referring to them giving a pass at technically buggy trash being what makes it a joke, not different people favoring different features (like a FOV slider being a deal breaker or not)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I was referring to them giving a pass at technically buggy trash being what makes it a joke, not different people favoring different features (like a FOV slider being a deal breaker or not)

Well bugginess just isn't a huge issue for most people. It's only when games are straight-up broken that it becomes a problem.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

In Nioh you could easily just sell/dismantle/donate every piece of look that wasn't Purple of Green and be perfectly fine while at the same time not having to bother with too much loot.

having to sell/dismantle/donate every piece of loot that wasnt purple or green after every mission was a massive waste of time and really hosed with the flow of the game for me. Just needless tedious busywork. Definitely would prefer a version of Nioh with non-randomized loot that was handed out as rewards for each mission and found in interesting places in the missions themselves

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
turning every enemy and chest into an exploding loot pinata has never added anything to team ninja's action games, and when you have to actually pay attention to loot in postgame challenges it becomes an active detriment, like in stranger of paradise

that said my bigger issue with wo long was the utterly confounding control scheme for dodges/parries

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

having to sell/dismantle/donate every piece of loot that wasnt purple or green after every mission was a massive waste of time and really hosed with the flow of the game for me. Just needless tedious busywork. Definitely would prefer a version of Nioh with non-randomized loot that was handed out as rewards for each mission and found in interesting places in the missions themselves

But it's like, 4 button presses?

Sell, All, Under Purple Rarity, Accept.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nioh is so funny to me as it’s basically what I would consider an AI generated game from like the 2010s

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

But it's like, 4 button presses?

Sell, All, Under Purple Rarity, Accept.

even with you defending it, youre suggesting to basically ignore the system entirely. Its a poo poo system that drags the game down, but thats how i feel with literally every game with randomized loot. Im so sick of it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

even with you defending it, youre suggesting to basically ignore the system entirely. Its a poo poo system that drags the game down, but thats how i feel with literally every game with randomized loot. Im so sick of it

I agree with you on that. It's a bad system.
I'm just saying that they have added enough Quality of Life into the game for it to not be a hugely time wasting bad system.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im just frustrated cause I really wanted to like Nioh 2, but I had to put it down cause I was too annoyed with the mountains of useless loot it gives you

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nioh 2 is loving fantastic and can (and probably should) just ignore the loot system on your first playthrough and just slap whatever green item has the bigger number.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I like loot piñatas, so that aspect worked for me in Nioh 2. I'm the ADHD ridden mark they're after.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I am really tired of games that actually expect me to do constant inventorization like I'm some sort of data entry clerk, without at least giving me some shortcut for it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Company of Heroes 3 reviews are apparently out today as well. Early consensus seems to be it's a good CoH game, though more-so in battle than on the new Total War-style campaign map, though that has potential as well. There's also a second, more linear CoH-style campaign.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anno posted:

Company of Heroes 3 reviews are apparently out today as well. Early consensus seems to be it's a good CoH game, though more-so in battle than on the new Total War-style campaign map, though that has potential as well. There's also a second, more linear CoH-style campaign.

Good, I wouldn't bother playing it if the campaign map were more engaging than the RTS portion. That's just fluff around getting you to cool missions.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

Octopath Traveler 2
Kerbal Space Program 2
Company of Heroes 3
Phantom Brigade
Sons of the Forest
Scars Above
Blood Bowl 3
Clive N Wrench
Dungeons of Aether
Grim Guardians

Hell yeah, looking forward to Octopath Traveler 2 hitting in a few days. Sounds like it has improved on everything from the first game, and the HD 2D has never looked better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em04UeKEa9Q

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm probably playing hunter class first, then dancer, then maybe merchant?

it's gonna be a really weird starting configuration!!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

idk if I'll pick up OT2 right away, but if/when I do, I'm starting as this guy because holy poo poo at his theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNrACjAF-wM

No surprise, of course - OT1 had an amazing soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I bounced off the first game, partly from the overdone HD2D thing just looking like a bunch of stock UE4 effects and partly from the story I played just being boring. The demo for the second game on the other hand grabbed me, and it runs great on Deck.

In itself it’s probably just some relatively small adjustments but it made all the difference for me.