Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Opsec Wizard hasn’t posted in a while, last I heard he was playing War Thunder and…

Oh.

Clearance: Revoked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Whenever I was working on a flight line I just always figured that whatever closest line of apartments I could see had a representative of every other major government and a telephoto lens recording me. The cost/benefit would just be so incredibly valuable I can't imagine why it wouldn't happen.

Somewhere in a basement in China somebody was probably watching me freeze my balls off at 4 AM on a January with flight line windspeeds. Screw you guy, sitting in your warm office.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There is a near zero chance we don't have observers, either physical or electronic at critical sites.
poo poo, in every war we've fought, the enemy put eyes on our poo poo. It's like 101 level poo poo.

I imagine with the advances in radar and similar tech, we can probably tell details about poo poo from return signature, but that's the Club Carrier assuming things from the Sky Shaman

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bird food bathtub posted:

Whenever I was working on a flight line I just always figured that whatever closest line of apartments I could see had a representative of every other major government and a telephoto lens recording me. The cost/benefit would just be so incredibly valuable I can't imagine why it wouldn't happen.

Somewhere in a basement in China somebody was probably watching me freeze my balls off at 4 AM on a January with flight line windspeeds. Screw you guy, sitting in your warm office.

An uncle who was on B-52s over Vietnam that took off from Guam said the Soviets parked a boat offshore and would radio the North Vietnamese about take offs so they could get air defenses ready.

He mentioned they were hyper attuned for flashes from the ground that indicated SAM launches, and they had a moment of panic when there were dozens of simultaneous flashes. They then realized they’d hit a SAM warehouse and the mood brightened.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Someone remind me how many Republican senators Georgia has?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"The school hopes to open next week"

That seems...optimistic.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Someone remind me how many Republican senators Georgia has?

Same number as Arizona - for the same reasons! Funny how that works out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

"The school hopes to open next week"

That seems...optimistic.

I doubt there will be anyone to attend or work at the school, so yeah, super optimistic.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
ffs Turkey got hit by second series of major earthquakes in the same general region

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/20/turkey-new-6-point-4-magnitude-earthquake-hatay

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fragrag posted:

ffs Turkey got hit by second series of major earthquakes in the same general region

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/20/turkey-new-6-point-4-magnitude-earthquake-hatay

Big earthquakes usually go on for a while, it's not safe yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bulletsponge13 posted:

There is a near zero chance we don't have observers, either physical or electronic at critical sites.
poo poo, in every war we've fought, the enemy put eyes on our poo poo. It's like 101 level poo poo.

I imagine with the advances in radar and similar tech, we can probably tell details about poo poo from return signature, but that's the Club Carrier assuming things from the Sky Shaman

On the other hand, the Soviets had future human intelligence assets walk in the front door of the embassy in Washington, D.C., and the U.S. never noticed.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
when the table needs a lot of legroom to hide the octogenarian's rampaging erection

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1627785969599410176?t=RW_OhXa1cCVn488po6e71g&s=19

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

when the table needs a lot of legroom to hide the octogenarian's rampaging erection

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1627785969599410176?t=RW_OhXa1cCVn488po6e71g&s=19

trains trains trains Trains Trains TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh man I bet they had to fly in a special train car and everything

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What's the president's train called? Train Force One?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

orange juche posted:

trains trains trains Trains Trains TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS
Probably his first train ride since the inauguration too!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

orange juche posted:

What's the president's train called? Train Force One?

Given the history of armed/armored train cars in the US? Pinkerton One.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There’s an army rail operations MOS, I hope they got to be involved

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kesper North posted:

Oh man I bet they had to fly in a special train car and everything

Good point! Lotta people noticed that the polish border's airspace was super-saturated late yesterday and turns out it was a long fuckin train ride to get to the middle of Ukraine where Kyiv is.

https://twitter.com/AliVelshi/status/1627761685623721990?t=19VM48Md7ac9abi1uAreuw&s=19

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/1627769549616566278?t=pmTz3mwmDScUnBSJ1vyqNQ&s=19

The reprisal strikes are gonna be bonkers, but that's some drat big gesture coming up to the one year anniversary of a gigantic American intelligence "I told you so!" suddenly happening.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lincoln on May 8, 1862:

“I am the U.S. military presence.”

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Scrambling to protect a VIP train from enemy jets that crossed into allied territory would make for a hell of an Ace Combat mission

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hmm, if Russia had sent a strike package (planes not missiles) into Ukraine as the train was en route what do you think the US response would have been? F-22s penetrating UKR airspace on an intercept heading? Strongly worded radio warning to the Russians from the Polish border telling them to gently caress off?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I feel 100% confident the USA would start shooting rather than let POTUS get wasted

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
That is a remarkably confident move, particularly given the circumstances of the conflict. Borderline reckless.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

That is a remarkably confident move, particularly given the circumstances of the conflict. Borderline reckless.

At the same time, Russia is well aware that attempting a frag on a head of state that is not direct party to the conflict would open the war wider than Kirk Johnson's rear end. Them doing anything intentionally would be off the Clancy meter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grip it and rip it posted:

He’s running.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

He’s running.

Ofc, biden's going to run in 2024, thought he announced that already.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

At the same time, Russia is well aware that attempting a frag on a head of state that is not direct party to the conflict would open the war wider than Kirk Johnson's rear end. Them doing anything intentionally would be off the Clancy meter.

Definitely, but I don't think Russia has a great reputation for maintaining discipline and control of its armed forces so there was still the risk that somebody more local than Putin might decide to take a shot.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orange juche posted:

I asked in the Ukraine thread as well, but I'm assuming if they bag POTUS Russia gets turned into glass?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I do not believe that Kamala Harris would launch strategic nuclear missiles, no.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I asked in the Ukraine thread as well, but I'm assuming if they bag POTUS Russia gets turned into glass?

I honestly wouldn't expect so. Certainly overwhelming force to destroy Russia's military and leadership, but not an unrestrained attack on its population.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Certainly the DoD would be presenting those plans to Kamala to make a choice on. Whether She would feel obliged to follow through is a separate question. A lot would probably turn on exactly what happened and who ordered it and how.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, I'd assume a similar response that I'd expect from an overt strike on a NATO nation: every air and strike asset in NATO quickly and efficiently turns every Russian soldier and equipment into part of the Ukrainian soil.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Seeing as that would turn the US into glass (or at least banking on none/most of Russia's nukes working is still a hell of a gamble) it's probably something short of outright nuclear warfare. I would image there's probably some plan that was written decades ago and occasionally updated that provides the dead president's successor on options but the specifics are :nsa:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
According to NPR the US notified Russia of Biden's visit a few hours before he got there, for deconfliction purposes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I wonder if there have been measurable bumps in popularity for world leaders who are photographed with Zelenskyy, and that might be part of the motivation.

Also I’m trying to think of previous examples of world leaders being targeted during major conflicts. I know the Germans shot down the plane of an actor who looked like Churchill, and Operation Long Jump was gonna go after the Allied leaders in 1943 although the Soviets might have made it up.

Yamamoto was the big successful one although he wasn’t the PM. Probably lots of others.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 21, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I don't recall the Japanese Emperor getting sniped out of a plane during the war.
Thinking of Yamamoto?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bored As gently caress posted:

According to NPR the US notified Russia of Biden's visit a few hours before he got there, for deconfliction purposes.

The traditional way to do this is for the Secretary of State to invite the ambassador over for tea and told them then.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

SerthVarnee posted:

I don't recall the Japanese Emperor getting sniped out of a plane during the war.
Thinking of Yamamoto?

It's well know this man was actually a body double

(I think he confused Yamamoto with Hirohito some how)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I wonder if there have been measurable bumps in popularity for world leaders who are photographed with Zelenskyy, and that might be part of the motivation.

Also I’m trying to think of previous examples of world leaders being targeted during major conflicts. I know the Germans shot down the plane of an actor who looked like Churchill, and Operation Long Jump was gonna go after the Allied leaders in 1943 although the Soviets might have made it up.

Hirohito was the big successful one although he wasn’t the PM. Probably lots of others.

Operation Foxley could have iced Hitler, but there was no consensus that assassinating Hitler was a good idea in late 1944, so it was called off.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 21, 2023