Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

hughesta posted:

Watery Hall underwater section?

You loving beautiful gem of a human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I can't believe I only have 185 missiles. I must have missed so many upgrades.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shyfted One posted:

I can't believe I only have 185 missiles. I must have missed so many upgrades.

The game plays a specific noise when one is around, which helps a ton.

I also found my Official Nintendo Player’s Guide which I had kicking around so that helps

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay I just got the pirate data about them trying to replicate the morph ball, it’s just so fuckin :discourse: I read it to my wife and we both couldn’t stop laughing

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I will always love how halfway through Phazon Mines, the orange scans are just basically the Pirates saying "Y'know, I've had it up to HERE with that Hunter chick!"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I will always love how halfway through Phazon Mines, the orange scans are just basically the Pirates saying "Y'know, I've had it up to HERE with that Hunter chick!"

There’s a gem about pirates bringing pets into the mines and them going crazy because of the Phazon. The game tells such a great story through the environments and logs. That’s definitely one of its strengths.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was laughing at one of the scans by a tiny cave just off of Thardus’ cave, where it says they were trying to tame him and apparently making some progress.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There’s a gem about pirates bringing pets into the mines and them going crazy because of the Phazon. The game tells such a great story through the environments and logs. That’s definitely one of its strengths.

wasn't there one about how the science team found traces of Rations in a Metroid's digestive system, which came with a warning to "STOP TRYING TO MAKE A METROID YOUR PET YOU IDIOTS" or something like that

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

wasn't there one about how the science team found traces of Rations in a Metroid's digestive system, which came with a warning to "STOP TRYING TO MAKE A METROID YOUR PET YOU IDIOTS" or something like that

That might've been in Prime 2.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bruceski posted:

That might've been in Prime 2.

Yeah that and “science team has vapor for brains” are from Prime 2.
Prime 2 has the best pirate lore, absolutely nothing goes their way from the moment they land on Aether and it keeps getting worse by the second

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Yeah Prime 2 Pirate Logs are mostly a list of the latest disaster that happened before Samus arrives. Then we get this one.

quote:

Another hunter, wearing the traditional colors of Samus Aran, made planetfall today. Horrific as it may sound, there are two of them now. We are bracing for a new assault. This dire turn of events may bear some good will. One of our scouts in Dark Aether saw a curious encounter. The Dark Hunter attacked the one clad as Samus near a Phazon site. Perhaps they are not allies...but foes. Perhaps we can forge an alliance with the Dark Hunter - an exchange, Phazon for the head of our common enemy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It always makes me happy when people discover the best bit of lore in the series.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Space Pirates every time they discover a new deadly nightmare of the cosmos:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Federation is just as bad as the Space Pirates. They have clandestine metroid breeding and phazon weponification programs. All their stations are run by sentient brains in glass jars. They regularly do experimental testing on their own personnel often to ill effects.

How many times have they injected Samus with alien DNA and other poo poo without her consent? 3?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
To be fair to them I think she was basically dying every time and they did what they needed to do to save her?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, the one time was when she got owned by Dark Samus and they slapped the PED stuff on her and the other hunters to stabilize them, the other was when she got owned by X and they shot her full of Metroids after cutting away the most infected parts of the armor. Both times she was near death.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
And then there's the time they gaslight her into having PTSD and abuse her by taking away her autonomy over her power suit.

Space pirates just want to pirate and are just incompetent enough they keep getting their poo poo wrecked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ExcessBLarg! posted:

And then there's the time they gaslight her into having PTSD and abuse her by taking away her autonomy over her power suit.

Space pirates just want to pirate and are just incompetent enough they keep getting their poo poo wrecked.

That was mostly just the one guy

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't know why y'all are making excuses for the Federation here. Some day Samus is going to figure out they're actually the ones behind all the really heinous stuff--even if unintentionally, and she's going to turn the tables on them.

There you go Sakamoto, that's your next game.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

At least when the Feds are experimenting with monstrous bioweapons they do it in sealed space stations so when lab containment is inevitably breached it doesn't destroy an entire planet.

...y'know, until Samus crashes the drat thing INTO a planet, but that's everyone's fault, really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't know why y'all are making excuses for the Federation here. Some day Samus is going to figure out they're actually the ones behind all the really heinous stuff--even if unintentionally, and she's going to turn the tables on them.

There you go Sakamoto, that's your next game.

I nean she did. Then they had to come begging because the X parasites came back.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The only remotely shady poo poo is other m related due to there seemingly being a group away wanting to use a bioweapons program to take over, and the english translation of fusion where it makes things much more sinister than the original translation. BSF was completely above board.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The federation being an actual government is way more interesting than being a fictitious group of people that are just your friends

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Other M and Fusion make it fairly clear that the least savory parts of the Federation are a rogue element. Samus is clearly at least on good enough terms with them post-Fusion to take a job from them in Dread. As for Adam being a complete horse's rear end to Samus in Other M, well. That was just Raven Beak pretending to be Adam, obviously.

I do think Sakamoto is gonna circle around back to that Federation storyline now that all of the Chozo and Metroid stuff is wrapped up.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 20, 2023

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MJeff posted:

Other M and Fusion make it fairly clear that the least savory parts of the Federation are a rogue element. Samus is clearly at least on good enough terms with them post-Fusion to take a job from them in Other M...

Other M takes place before Fusion! :eng101:

Samus has her full Power Suit in Other M, instead of the Fusion Suit. She never gets the old Power Suit back in Fusion, it just gets the Varia Suit colours at the end when you absorb the SA-X. The Suit in Dread is a redesigned/upgraded Fusion Suit, what with the base level version of it being blue.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Whoops. Take a job from them in Dread, I should say. :downs:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I hope Nintendo has gotten over hating bounty hunting as a concept

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

She's as much a bounty hunter and cowboys in spaghetti westerns are actual cowboys, it's entirely aesthetic about an independent heavily armed person doing good around the galaxy/frontier and it's v cool and good.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
The best bits of Pirate lore in 1 are the back-to-back logs in Phazon Mines that detail the excruciating failures of trying to replicate Samus' Morph Ball, how it mangled and mutilated 4 test subjects, and then the one immediately near it that reads "Now accepting applications for volunteers for prototype weapons testing! Increased rations and pay! :)"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
imagine being the guy who signs up expecting to fire cool experimental weapons and hearing "ok we're going to attempt to crush you into a tiny sphere"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Working as a Space Pirate is basically just being an Aperture Science employee

Cave Johnson posted:

For those of you who volunteered to be injected with Praying Mantis DNA, I have good news and bad news. The bad news: we're postponing those tests indefinitely. The good news: We have a much better test for you. Fighting an army of Mantis Men! Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You'll know when the test begins.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Next game Samus will be running around Federation HQ on Earth blowing up horrific failed experiments until there's a breach into the surrounding metropolis, and then Samus will have to navigate the labyrinthine streets of Vancouver- because it's ALWAYS Vancouver for some reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Next game Samus will be running around Federation HQ on Earth blowing up horrific failed experiments until there's a breach into the surrounding metropolis, and then Samus will have to navigate the labyrinthine streets of Vancouver- because it's ALWAYS Vancouver for some reason.

The last meth head is in captivity. Florida is at peace.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My favorite bit of silent characterization in Dread is when Quiet Robe shows up. Samus is immediately ready to start blasting before realizing he's one of the chill Chozo, at which point she just goes 'oh, sup grandpa' and sits down for storytime :kimchi:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

samus speaking chozo while her theme music kicks in is still the coolest poo poo ever

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I would like to deal with x parasites in a prime game. X parasites in general are cool, they nudge the games towards body horror

Oh man...

I would kill for a Metroid X Resident Evil 4 X The Thing X Among Us. Where you're on a space station with a bunch of NPCs, who are randomly dying, and it turns out they've got parasites in 'em.

That, or a Wind Waker style Chibi Metroid game.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Turns out a Federation research facility on Mars has been researching ways of producing infinite energy using gateways to hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is only one non-Smash Nintendo series that should cross over with Doom and it isn't Metroid

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

There is only one non-Smash Nintendo series that should cross over with Doom and it isn't Metroid

Ah, yes.

Pikmin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bloody Pom posted:

My favorite bit of silent characterization in Dread is when Quiet Robe shows up. Samus is immediately ready to start blasting before realizing he's one of the chill Chozo, at which point she just goes 'oh, sup grandpa' and sits down for storytime :kimchi:

I appreciate that remembering bird grandpa was the thing that made her really go "Y'know what, gently caress this guy." on Raven Beak.