Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Steve Yun posted:

Gonna cancel HBO after Last of Us. Any hidden gems I should catch before then?

The White Lotus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Joe Pera Talks With You

"Fall Drive" is probably my personal favorite.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
How To With John Wilson, if it's still available (not sure what happened to it with the whole HBO Max fiasco).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Steve Yun posted:

Depends on what you have or haven't watched yet. HBO has some of the best shows in the history of them medium.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Steve Yun posted:

Banshee

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Its still pretty common at SNL. When Adam Driver hosted last back in 2020 he stretched his monologue an extra three minutes and said " I know I've kind of rambled a bit but the last skit of the night had me dress like a.woman and can't tell if its trans phobic or just lazy but now they have to cut it."

That's amazing he said it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve Yun posted:

They’re not hidden gems I hope but watch all the McBride/Jody Hill shows

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

warrior is the realist show that's come out in the past several years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHZFtvYSJ8

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Steve Yun posted:

I assume you have already watched all the prestige HBO shows? I would say Carnivale is a great watch and worth your time, even if it did get cancelled after season 2. The Other Two is one of the best comedies currently.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Watch the original Tenacious D series, it still makes me laugh.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

oh god oh gently caress posted:

warrior is the realist show that's come out in the past several years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHZFtvYSJ8

Yeah, it owns. Very much a worthy (and, as far as I'm concerned, superior) spiritual successor to Banshee.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Steve Yun posted:

IMO the best thing about HBO max is that it has a bunch of old movies via the Turner Classic Movies hub. E.g. like all of the Thin Man movies are on there, which are hilarious 30s mystery-comedies.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We have a kids profile setup so my 3 and 6 year olds can watch some Ghibli movies, Sesame Street, stuff like that. HBO max recommended to them (in the kids profile, mind you) In The Mood For Love. I mean sure it's one of the best movies ever made, but I don't know how much my 6 year old is going to get out of it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I feel like “I May Destroy You” was a hugely overlooked HBO series.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I like the weird stuff I'd randomly find, like The Shivering Truth, a weird animated film about...aliens? Out also has all the 90s movies I saw trailers for as a kid but wasn't allowed to watch. I'd keep it but it's $18 a month.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Every month I do an audit of what I subscribe to to see if I should cancel and every time I think I'm going to cancel HBO I scroll through and see just so much crap that I have still to watch that I can't imagine cancelling anytime soon.

I know they are currently speed-running their way to the bottom in some regards, but the catalog is still super f'in impressive.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Steve Yun posted:

Station Eleven.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mcmagic posted:

Station Eleven.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’ve had HBO in one from or another non-stop since 2000. It is the one service I never cancel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

nate fisher posted:

I’ve had HBO in one from or another non-stop since 2000. It is the one service I never cancel.

It's gotten very expensive and there isn't a bunch of volume of stuff to watch if you have already seen most of the older HBO shows but it's highs are pretty high.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It is more of I can't cancel HBO after the TLOU since Servance takes it place on Sunday night. I guess I could cancel and binged it later, but these are shows I don't want to binge. Honestly I don't think $16 is bad, especially considering I am not paying that much more than I did 20+ years ago for an HBO cable sub.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

thats how they get you

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hey $16 is the price of one cup of coffee in TYOL 2023 that's nothing for a month of entertainment!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm digging Hello Tomorrow! but it certainly is not for everybody

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last week I learned the the HBO Max iPad app lets you download stuff for offline viewing but then doesn't let you watch that downloaded stuff unless you have an internet connection, those fuckers.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's gotten very expensive and there isn't a bunch of volume of stuff to watch if you have already seen most of the older HBO shows but it's highs are pretty high.

It’s $16. It’s basically the price of getting a sandwich for lunch. Once a month. In what world is that “very expensive” for a service you probably use for dozens of hours a month?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hbo used to be a cable add on for like $15 a month in the mid 2000s, 16 for on demand everything doesnt seem too bad. I really need to pare down my streaming subscriptions tho... but I can't. and my wife wanted to watch parks n rec so we added peacock, again

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Has it really “gotten very expensive”? Seems like with inflation it’s probably cheaper than it was to add to cable.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

withak posted:

Last week I learned the the HBO Max iPad app lets you download stuff for offline viewing but then doesn't let you watch that downloaded stuff unless you have an internet connection, those fuckers.

Yeah I downloaded some movies to watch on a flight and wasn’t happy that I couldn’t watch them

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

smackfu posted:

Has it really “gotten very expensive”? Seems like with inflation it’s probably cheaper than it was to add to cable.

yeah used to be a ~$30 cable addon back in the 90s I think? But back then it was unique in having movies aired on it well before they came out on VHS.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

The Knick. It's two seasons, Clive Owen and Andre Holland are great in it and so is basically everyone else. Steven Soderbergh directed everything and the score is loving killer. It's just extremely high quality all around. I think it was actually a Cinemax original but it's on HBO Max now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

RCarr posted:

It’s $16. It’s basically the price of getting a sandwich for lunch. Once a month. In what world is that “very expensive” for a service you probably use for dozens of hours a month?

Some people are broke hth

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Have you thought about cancelling your--oh,

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

wizardofloneliness posted:

The Knick. It's two seasons, Clive Owen and Andre Holland are great in it and so is basically everyone else. Steven Soderbergh directed everything and the score is loving killer. It's just extremely high quality all around. I think it was actually a Cinemax original but it's on HBO Max now.

:yeah:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo that’s a lot of HBO I haven’t watched yet

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Keeping up 3-4 streaming services seems like a lot of money until you for any reason want live TV these days (some subs do have TV channels, which is nice).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

There’s nothing wrong with that. But that doesn’t make it “very expensive”.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The only way I could cancel HBO Max is to call my cable provider, and that's too much effort. It already took a bit to stop paying for what is now MGM+, and that's peanuts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m just gonna rotate my streaming services. After I cancel HBO, might do some paramount plus, and then AppleTV whenever severance season 2 comes on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

So I looked up the episode I watched (a 1993 episode hosted by Christina Applegate) and the episodes cut based on that link -

FOCUS ON BEAUTY II
Cher (host) loves Lori Davis’ (CHF) no-alcohol spray

Dammit that's one of Phil Hartman's best moments.

"One of the side effects of alcohol is stickiness. Also it's bad for the en-vi-ron-ment."