Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What makes wizard underwhelming apart from "is better at buffs" and "not great single target but gets good AoE? Complexity? Unsatisfying spell lists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alchemist and Wizard both require more system mastery than most to feel good, though that's much more true of alchemist. Wizard is fine, it's just not the wizard of PF1E or D&D1/2/3/5. Generally all the CRB classes aside from alchemist are good at their fantasy, and then once you move outside the CRB you tend to work harder to achieve similar results.

I think alchemist is the only class where you can feel really useless without a solid game plan. Like at least as wizard you can electric arc every round and you're just mediocre.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

marshmallow creep posted:

What makes wizard underwhelming apart from "is better at buffs" and "not great single target but gets good AoE? Complexity? Unsatisfying spell lists?

Awful class feats. Most people also don't like vancian casting, so the sorcerer is a better fit.

The solution to the former is multiclassing. You don't lose much if you multiclass as a wizard because so much of your power is baked into your spell slots.

I've not tried it, but flexible spellcasting might be a good fix for vancian casting. It looks really debilitating but upon learning you can heighten any memorized spells to full effect I'm pretty sure it is actually really powerful. Losing cantrips at level 1 is baffling and terrible though. Early game wizard didn't need to be worse.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

I played like 3 levels of wizard, and it was very hard to come up with tactically meaningful contributions beyond burning spell slots on magic missile, and even then I felt like it was a waste unless I used that with all 3 actions. It was hard to come up with a good tactical rhythm. In my current group, I've been playing a goblin rogue and it's just night and day difference. It's 1000% more fun, especially during combat, but also rogue feels better at doing exploration actions like scout or investigate (and of course sneak). The martial classes seem cool, too, and we have a cleric and a druid in our party that have had some clutch cantrips like Produce Flame and Divine Lance.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sorcerer is generally better, especially for new players, because spontaneous casting is better in almost every situation and is a lot easier to use. Cha is also generally a better primary stat because it has awesome third action options that dont need GM adjucation, whereas Int only has Recall Knowledge which can be very DM dependent on how good it is (as well player dependent to respond to it). Low level casters in general are not great and wizard is just probably the worst one at low levels

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 20, 2023

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Piell posted:

Sorcerer is generally better, especially for new players, because spontaneous casting is better in almost every situation and is a lot easier to use. Cha is also generally a better primary skill because it has awesome third action options that dont need GM adjucation, whereas Int only has Recall Knowledge which can be very DM dependent on how good it is. Low level casters in general are not great and wizard is just probably the worst one at low levels

Yeah, the sorcerer in 5E is largely considered terrible I think, so that colors the view people have of it coming into PF2E, so they get turned off by vancian casting on the wizard and don't even consider the sorcerer because it's already bad in their head.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

M. Night Skymall posted:

Yeah, the sorcerer in 5E is largely considered terrible I think, so that colors the view people have of it coming into PF2E, so they get turned off by vancian casting on the wizard and don't even consider the sorcerer because it's already bad in their head.

Haha yes that was exactly my thinking when I picked Wizard over Sorc.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

wizards are really fuckign boring to play, have zero flavor, and mostly cast electric arc, a cantrip, system mastery and getting to high levels allows for being sorta mediocre. don't play a wizard.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I do, because the analogies break down completely at high levels. Let's take your tomato example. High INT is "knowing that the tomato is actually a berry, it's scientific name is solanum lycopersicum, it's a distant relative of the nightshade" and high Wisdom is..."don't put them in your fruit salad, still".

Like, even as a kid I noticed every "Wisdom example" was some patently obvious thing, they never gave an example of the difference between using high WIS or high INT. It's always been the case that D&D treated "synthesis of knowledge" as INT. Sherlock Holmes, despite having absolutely off-the-charts perception and intuition, was always coded as a high INT guy. The Investigator is a high INT guy who doesn't need WIS. It's just this weird dumping area for Clerics and Druids, an ability score that, once it gets high enough, nobody knows what it means other than "you have a high perception" and "you're on favorable terms with your Diety".

This is why I like Shadowrun's mental stats much better. They're much easier to define in an abstract without referring to each other. Essentially, instead of Intelligence and Wisdom, it uses Logic and Intuition. Logic is straight-line thinking, following a process, deducing information from known unknowns, and so on. Intuition is nonlinear thinking, acting on a hunch, making connections that aren't obvious except in hindsight, etc.

It also neatly leaves "Intelligence" undefined, which is for the best.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wizards are fine

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Speaking of wizards as a new gm I understand I should be giving the 4 essential runes out making sure the party stays up to date. However for a wizard should I be handing out other items instead of like for instance the striking runes like wands or scrolls?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Vire posted:

Speaking of wizards as a new gm I understand I should be giving the 4 essential runes out making sure the party stays up to date. However for a wizard should I be handing out other items instead of like for instance the striking runes like wands or scrolls?

Caster gear progression is via staves. Wands and scrolls are also good though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Are bards also supposed to get staves?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

All casters benefit from staves. The mentalist staff for example is all occult spell list stuff https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=350.

Basically you get a # of charges in a staff for free when you do your daily preparations equal to your highest spell slot. Casting from the staff consumes a # of charges equal to the level of the spell. So they're free spell slots, like wands, but a bit more versatile.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Andrast posted:

Wizards are fine

nah

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I feel like attack cantrips should be one action instead of two and the wizard should have a feat line that lowers the multi-attack penalty.

I'm buying a ton of scrolls and its fun having a bunch of versatility, but the damage feels bad. Copying is kind of annoying because you can fail but the scroll isn't destroyed by copying so you still get a free cast of whatever spell your copying.

I like the prepared casting on the wizard, it keeps the wizard from getting to crazy and sometimes it does suck to not prepare the right thing, but it feels so good when you prepare the exact right thing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Vire posted:

A good staff is basically like a whole stack of extra spells known and spell slots. Talk to the player and get a feel for what they’d want to make sure you don’t give them a dud staff in terms of spells on it - the rules for “Personalized Staves” are also a good guideline for just GM homebrewing something up, and don’t feel afraid to slap on a neat ribbon effect that matches one of the prebuilt staves even if you change up the spells.

Beyond that, a Wand of $Spell is essentially a once per day spell slot for a specific spell - they’re great to hand out for out of combat, utility type spells that your casters will otherwise have trouble justifying burning slots on. Same for scrolls for similar type spells that might see even less and more circumstantial use. If you do go this route, if the caster is a wizard, give them more than one of the scroll because otherwise they will sit on it until they can write it in their spellbook, and in general, make it clear that saving consumables is a lovely idea, because what will happen is your squad will put scale the usefulness of the consumable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If I'm a 1E wizard liker who doesn't like to blast can I have fun?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
If you like the 1e wizard because you get to just solve problems by yourself with minimal interaction from other people, no.

If you like it because it's a prepared arcane spellcaster who leans harder into a school, yes.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Play a sorcerer though, signature spells add a tremendous amount of utility and I think sorcerers just do what a wizard wants to do better.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Rick posted:

the utility spells got hit way harder than anything else. if you want to do things with spells, it's uh.....hard. and you don't get really any extra tools as a wizard, you're sorta a walking spell list and in pf2 that's just not super great. there's a bunch of other issues too. honestly just play something else, there's fun stuff to play.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
If your goal is just "spellcaster", than sorcerer is absolutely the better pick over wizard. You don't have to fret over every preparing every single spell slot ahead of time, and whenever you do need a very specific spell for a niche situation you can just use staves, wands, or scrolls for that. Being Charisma-based is even more useful than being Intelligence-based, as you can get more reliable use from your third action for Demoralize or Bon Mot to lower saves immediately before targeting them. It's also easier to archetype in bard or oracle for even more spells per day that still use your highest ability score.

Wizard is still cool if you have something specific in mind though. Some of the focus spells are pretty good, like Protective Ward from taking the Abjuration school effectively turns you into an Inspire Defense bard. If you're planning to use a shield by dipping Bastion or something the high Int will make you better at the Crafting checks necessary to repair it.

Rick posted:

Damaging spells are actually kind of a trap in 2e outside of multi-target area stuff against big groups, so you're usually better off using buff/debuff/utility spells over anything that just does damage anyway.

Like a fully heightened Disintegrate enhanced by True Strike and Dangerous Sorcery will do less damage on average than a super run-of-the-mill martial character with a bow going Strike > Strike > Strike.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 21, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
If there's a cool archetype that looks really cool to you, but you're not playing a free archetype game, Wizard is kind of an above average chassis to throw those feats on to just because your class feats are less essential relative to a lot of other classes. A neato build I've been kicking around in Pathbuilder recently is a Wizard w/ Medic dedication that's focused on mobility enhancer type spells to get to people for battle medicine and such.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

here is protective ward

quote:

Source Core Rulebook pg. 407 4.0
Cast somatic
Area 5-foot-radius emanation centered on you
Duration sustained up to 1 minute. You emanate a shimmering aura of protective magic. You and any allies in the area gain a +1 status bonus to AC. Each time you Sustain the Spell, the emanation's radius increases by 5 feet, to a maximum of 30 feet.

here is inspire defense, a 2nd level cantrip

quote:

Uncommon Bard Cantrip Composition Emotion Enchantment Mental
Source Core Rulebook pg. 386 4.0
Cast verbal
Area 60-foot emanation
Duration 1 round You inspire your allies to protect themselves more effectively. You and all allies in the area gain a +1 status bonus to AC and saving throws, as well as resistance equal to half the spell's level to physical damage.

+1 ac is good, protective ward is not good. other ideas are to focus on mobility spells so you can use battle medicine potentially two times on someone in a single fight instead of just getting the heal spell, multiclassing because your class feats are not essential (it's because they're bad, if they were good they would be essential), and the shield thing

just play something else lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Andrast posted:

Wizards are fine

Yeah they're okay. Still feel like wizards of old but don't have the ability to just say "No one else needs to play". They're not hyper good and some people freak out about that.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

There's actually no limit on how many times you can Sustain the spell for Protective Ward, so you could spend extra actions to jack up its range at the start, even if at cap it's still half the range of Inspire Defense. Yes it's not a cantrip like Inspire Defense either, but it doesn't take additional focus points to keep sustaining it every round so it's pretty much the same idea unless you get Effortless Concentration later. Inspire Defense is absolutely better, but wizards get more spells per day than bards anyway.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

sugar free jazz posted:

here is protective ward

here is inspire defense, a 2nd level cantrip

+1 ac is good, protective ward is not good. other ideas are to focus on mobility spells so you can use battle medicine potentially two times on someone in a single fight instead of just getting the heal spell, multiclassing because your class feats are not essential (it's because they're bad, if they were good they would be essential), and the shield thing

just play something else lol

Yes but then if you're casting Inspire Defense you can't cast Inspire Courage.

Also hot take: composition cantrips are unbalanced compared to everything else. Just like, compare IC to pretty much any other one-action thing.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

yeah it's not even one action, it's one action with lingering composition so it's probably just one action for 3-4 rounds of the thing

its weird how they gave bards so much juice

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bards being the best caster is not a particularly hot take

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

So: if wizards are broken, how would you fix them?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Lamuella posted:

So: if wizards are broken, how would you fix them?

I would give them sorc spell slots baseline. It made sense for sorcerers to have more spell slots before, because the number of spells they knew was limited. I think with signature spells it's not limited very effectively at all, and they still get the most spell slots for some reason anyway. Wizards aren't incredibly bad, they just aren't particularly good and there are other options for doing what you might want a wizard to do better. I would leave in drain bond, so they actually have the most spell slots in return for being vancian casters with mediocre feats.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

M. Night Skymall posted:

I would give them sorc spell slots baseline. It made sense for sorcerers to have more spell slots before, because the number of spells they knew was limited. I think with signature spells it's not limited very effectively at all, and they still get the most spell slots for some reason anyway. Wizards aren't incredibly bad, they just aren't particularly good and there are other options for doing what you might want a wizard to do better. I would leave in drain bond, so they actually have the most spell slots in return for being vancian casters with mediocre feats.

I am very confused, because they both have 4 spells/level, but wizard has drain bond for +1.

Wizards straight up have the most spells.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Cyouni posted:

I am very confused, because they both have 4 spells/level, but wizard has drain bond for +1.

I honestly thought Wizards had fewer slots too until I started building one. It's subtle because the table doesn't show it, the extra spells come from your arcane school feature or from extra uses of Drain Bonded Item for universalist.

Though I'm not a fan of 5e in general, I honestly prefer having prepared spellcasters just act like spontaneous casters that prepare their spell repertoire every day. Old-school vancian prepared spellcasting is probably one of the worst-feeling parts of PF2, even the way signature spells work instead of free-form heightening is kind of janky.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Am I misremembering or were some pf1e classes able to "burn" prepared spells to use the slot for something else? I feel like I remember hearing an actual play where a cleric prepared a bunch of stuff but largely used the slots for Cure Light Wounds.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
pf1 clerics could burn prepared spells to cast an equivalent-level cure spell, and druids could do the same to cast summon nature's ally

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
That's true of the 1st edition Pathfinder cleric, yes. The spontaneous casting ability, which let you cast any spell as a same-level cure spell (if you channel positive energy) or inflict spell (if you channel negative energy).

It was a holdover from the 3.5 cleric (which let you spontaneously cure if you turn undead like a good cleric, forcing the undead to flee from your positive energy and possibly destroying them instantly, or to spontaneously inflict if you rebuke undead like an evil cleric, bolstering undead and possibly controlling them; instead Pathfinder opted to make the use of positive and negative energy interact with hit points like it does everywhere else, for good or for ill).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Rick posted:

Yes, definitely. Wizards get tons of cool spells, and the most spell slots of any class. 2e's degrees of success system means that you will often be doing cool and useful stuff even if the enemy succeeds on their saving throw.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cyouni posted:

Wizards straight up have the most spells.

I like Spell Blending wizards once you get some levels since you get more of your highest level slots to play with compared to anyone else

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Andrast posted:

Bards being the best caster is not a particularly hot take

I know this to be true in 5e, but even in PF 2e?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

I know this to be true in 5e, but even in PF 2e?

Composition cantrips are very good