Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, for a cheaper, lighter, less armored vehicle that requires less engineering support to cross water and also doesn't prioritize infantry squads communicating and sharing equipment prior to dismounting or accepts the risk of infantry riding on top and risk artillery, the BMP-2 may be a better call. It's a good sign for the infantry who ride in BMP-series vehicles that the updates to the BMP-3 series have started to move toward the common idea of a larger door and the ability of the infantry to share a common space during transit to and from combat zones. It's a small but important thing for a squad to be able to face each other and talk, share equipment/supplies, etc before dismounting and after mounting. The Dragoon BMP-3 variant gets toward that, but not sure how many of those have been or will be made.

China's APC/IFVs also favor the concept of having the infantry have a large ingress/egress door and sitting in a shared space during transport.

Russia's new model APC (prototype for now, I believe) also favors a large rear door and placing the infantry squad together and is close in weight to Bradleys.

The BMP-series was a product of its time with pros and cons. Most countries are moving away from that design, going into the future.

The back to back sitting in BMPs was also probably tough to help fighting from inside the vehicle via it's gun ports. Might have been a stupid idea but until you know it won't work, you kind of have to seat your troops in a way to use the feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Love big blocks of text in this thread itt

Anyone saying Putin should do the needful vis-à-vis brandon is a bad hombre no doubt

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Freezer posted:

He's playing the only card he can at this point, which is to entrench himself as THE Russian Guaido and hope for the best.

At least Guaido is a free man, Navalny is in a cell dragging his movement with him. But yeah, these guys always burn out their supporters the because eventually they need to follow directions from DC that no one is going to support.

I guess there need to be clear messaging on Crimea across the line at this point for the coming "Battle of the Bulge 2."

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ardennes posted:

the coming "Battle of the Bulge 2."

what do you mean? is there evidence ukraine is going for crimea anytime soon?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

It turns out that in war, drivers gently caress up, and the enemy doesn't usually call you up and say "here come some bullets/missiles/artillery" before they open fire.

Not until Operation REVIVAL in August, 3049 will such courtesy be given in warfare. Coincidence that the Clans don't use IFVs and simply have their infantry hang on to battlemechs? I think not.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

what do you mean? is there evidence ukraine is going for crimea anytime soon?

Supposedly, there are some troops amassing near Dnipro, but otherwise they have talked it up a lot over the past month. The big plan seems to take rail line going SW out of Donetsk city, "clean up" everything north of Mariupol, then hit the Kerch Bridge with a bunch of long-range rockets until Russia agrees to surrender everything.

supersnowman posted:

The back to back sitting in BMPs was also probably tough to help fighting from inside the vehicle via it's gun ports. Might have been a stupid idea but until you know it won't work, you kind of have to seat your troops in a way to use the feature.

There are newer Chinese APCs/armored cars with gunports. It goes back and worth whether it is worth it or not.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

crimea? how about you cry me a river

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
more airing of dirty laundry. can't see how russia can possibly win this war if they've already reached the military leaders backbiting each other in public stage

Wagner boss says he had to ‘apologise and obey’ for ammunition

The head of the Russian mercenary Wagner group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, has acknowledged a “major problem” with ammunition supplies for his fighters, accusing Russian officials of deliberately denying his fighters sufficient ammunition.

“This is a major problem,” Prigozhin said in an emotional seven-minute-long audio message published on his official Telegram channel.

He said he was required to “apologise and obey” to someone “high up” who he has a “difficult relationship with” in order to secure ammunition for his fighters. Speaking at times with a raised voice and occasionally swearing, he said:

I’m unable to solve this problem despite all my connections and contacts.

Russia’s military production was now sufficient to supply the forces fighting at the front, he said, claiming the supply difficulties his fighters were experiencing were the result of conscious decisions.

Prigozhin said the unspecified individuals he blamed for the shortage of ammunition were “eating breakfast, lunch and dinner off golden plates” and sending their relatives on holiday to Dubai, a popular destination for the Russian elite.

Those who interfere with us trying to win this war are absolutely, directly working for the enemy.

It is not possible to independently verify Prigozhin’s claims.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
"Russia probably lacks the reserves to dramatically increase the scale or intensity of its offensive in Luhansk this winter, the Institute for the Study of War has said in its latest intelligence update. The US thinktank added that Russian forces likely secured small gains in the northern suburbs of Bakhmut and in its eastern outskirts. Russia will claim that Bakhmut has been captured to align with the anniversary, regardless of the reality on the ground, the UK Ministry of Defence has claimed. Russian forces are likely under increasing political pressure as the anniversary of the invasion draws near, the latest British intelligence report says."

also, zelensky has sent a clear message to china. can't say they haven't been warned:

Zelenskiy has warned that there will be a “world war” if China decides to support Russia in its war on Ukraine. Speaking ahead of a visit by China’s top diplomat, Wang Yi, to Moscow today, Zelenskiy said Kyiv would like Beijing “to be on our side” in an interview with Die Welt. “If China allies itself with Russia, there will be a world war, and I do think that China is aware of that,” he said.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
looks like russia seem confident enough in their ability to win they reign in their mercenary group by limiting their ability to fight

doesnt seem like a loser kind of thing to do

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

While a BMP 1/2 is obviously cheaper to build than a Bradley, I don't think its design philosophy focused about costs. State factories were building these things, and if they would be effective with some more steel from another state factory, I don't know if that would be thing holding them back. It was probably much more the powerplant they could fit into the vehicle along with everything else.

Cost is always a factor. There’s no free ticket out of paying for these programs. The BMP-2 exceeded cost expectations. They had a good starting base in the BMP-1, but the 1 was vulnerable to .50 caliber machine guns, among other shortfalls, based on experience in combat. Its development was a somewhat bumpy road. They abandoned the larger gun, added a seventh road wheel and lengthened the hull when weight balance (increased turret size and moved placement and added armor) on a six-wheel design could no longer support amphibious ops.

Disagreements about the armament, turret laydown, etc, ran on for years, trying out larger cannons, 12.7mm, 30mm, modified aircraft cannons, etc. Much of this was stoked by competition between different firms in the USSR. The USSR went from BMP-2 prototypes in ~1972 to starting fielding in the 1980s.

The Bradley famously also had a shitshow development. One of the differences is that 1980s-90s USA just had a lot more resources and money to throw at their design problem until it was reasonably fixed compared with the USSR and then 1990s Russia and the comparative lack of resources.

One of the results of the BMP-2 being “good enough” is that they could produce in large numbers and export, whereas not a lot of countries wanted to sign up for or were invited to the more bespoke Bradley designs.

A number of European designs almost (if you squint real hard) look like what you might get if you averaged out what a BMP-2 is going for vs a Bradley.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

Love big blocks of text in this thread itt

agreed this is why i balance it out with funny tweets

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol Zelensky can't do poo poo to China and the world is not going to die for Ukraine, so :shrug:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

agreed this is why i balance it out with funny tweets

they're asking for more weapons
https://twitter.com/olenahalushka/status/1627610197588934657

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1627565011941072898

we can have a little bit of military escalation as a treat

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

I would love to see american and european warplanes being sent to be used in ukraine en masse

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mila kunis posted:

I would love to see american and european warplanes being sent to be used in ukraine en masse

Cui bono?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1627565011941072898

we can have a little bit of military escalation as a treat

We should definitely listen to the guy dumb enough to say that his job is to lie, publicly.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, there is still a continued push for F-16s, I don't know how it is going to physically happen unless they run them with NATO pilots from NATO bases and slap a decal on the side. Not only would Ukrainian bases to be vulnerable to Russian strikes, they probably don't have the infrastructure on hand to keep NATO fighters in operation and unless there is a secret program, there wouldn't be pilots either.

Otherwise, I guess they could promise F-16s (like they did Abrams tanks) "someday" but just expect the war would be over by the time they got there.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Erdogan is being punished for serving Putin.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
send them the f35s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/chiweethegod/status/1627694710633672705?s=20

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Al! posted:

send them the f35s

this would be like trashing junk cards in deckbuilder games

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

so would I :twisted:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

very glad that the West is doing its best to start a war with China too

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i suppose it would be polite to ensure that russia didn't build all those sam batteries for nothing

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

China was always the main target. The republicans wanted to keep Russia away from China via carrot, the democrats are trying the stick. The goal is to isolate and cripple China.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

bedpan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V976H5Gz3aw&t=247s

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Al! posted:

send them the f35s

send them f150s :banjo:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Want to win in Ukraine? Don't declare war on Russia, declare war on China.

Read the rest of my op ed in today's NY Times

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://covertactionmagazine.com/20...-to-know-about/

Ursula von der Leyen has quite a pedigree

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

also lmfao i just noticed the author, i think that is captainacab?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

also lmfao i just noticed the author, i think that is captainacab?

yep

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

"Biden - how is he not dead yet?"

lmaoooo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
looks like VOLDEMORT SATAN is missing his opportunity to take out joe brandon

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
let a chatGPT bot trained on #Ghostofkiev tweets fly the planes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DrewPavlou/status/1627611308215644160

biden supports zelensky just like he supported mandela

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

let a chatGPT bot trained on #Ghostofkiev tweets fly the planes

the top war thunder players are going to get black bagged and sent to fight for are freedums

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

paul_soccer12 posted:

I hope the Ukraine wins and Russia loses
When Ukraine wins it'll become the Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

We should definitely listen to the guy dumb enough to say that his job is to lie, publicly.

But I'm sure this time he's telling the truth. Why would he lie 99 times in a row? 98 is where a reasonable person flips the script to become an auger.