Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/augerbug/status/1626169168520441856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

lmfao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

whoever keeps doing this is really committed to the bit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lib and let die posted:

I only know of one bit-obsessed poster itt

it's hypnotic

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lib and let die posted:

:five:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Someone saw my post about your av looking like a Matty sperm or had the same thought. Cursed

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Fritz the Horse posted:

Someone saw my post about your av looking like a Matty sperm or had the same thought. Cursed

SOMEONE

Goddamnit I laugh every time I look

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 16, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

no that's just fritz

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is that $1 billion Amazon LOTR TV show worth watching if you only have maybe an hour or so a week to devote to it and you are a medium LOTR fan at best who mostly just liked the movies, read The Hobbit and part of the Silmarillion 20 years ago, and never saw the Hobbit movies?

It’s okay

Cool. Thanks.

My next job is convincing the wife to go for it. She liked GoT, but wasn't super interested in the spinoff (neither was I to be fair).

I tried to make the case for West World as our next show, but it was her turn and I failed to convince her away from Bridgerton.

Season 1 of Westworld is amazing television. You can just pretend the show stopped there and go away happy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Is that $1 billion Amazon LOTR TV show worth watching if you only have maybe an hour or so a week to devote to it and you are a medium LOTR fan at best who mostly just liked the movies, read The Hobbit and part of the Silmarillion 20 years ago, and never saw the Hobbit movies?

Yes it's fun, has some great visuals, and is overall fine. There is some dumb poo poo too but that's every show

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Lib and let die posted:

lmao that the people operating the train don't even get to know if something is hosed until a dispatcher decides they should know

you're talking about an industry where the idea of safety is "let's film an old guy falling off a train on purpose in a way that will kill him if the stunt coordination goes even slightly wrong"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx57jVGfso

yeah, more of this please

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The movie "About Time" is really underappreciated. Most people I know have never even heard of it.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes it's fun, has some great visuals, and is overall fine. There is some dumb poo poo too but that's every show
The one that annoyed me was that it was a "twist" that Jimi Simpson and Ed Harris were the same character. Like, that's not how aging works in real life! We would've known they were the same guy if they actually were! And they're supposed to be! Arrgh!

Good show tho.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pedicure was surprisingly alright, although it probably helped that i did almost oversleep the visit and ended up snoozing through like half of it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

pedicure was surprisingly alright, although it probably helped that i did almost oversleep the visit and ended up snoozing through like half of it

i think that's what you're supposed to do

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
ah kals, i just remembered that you chided me for my spelling of borscht, but i'm curious what the proper transliteration is and why

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

ah kals, i just remembered that you chided me for my spelling of borscht, but i'm curious what the proper transliteration is and why

it's borsch, but borshch is also fine i guess. the word is борщ in ukrainian, whereas a t in ukrainian looks like т, and may be conspicuously absent from the name of the soup named after one of its origianl ingredients, hogweed – борщівник

the spelling most commonly used by americans, in my experience, is from yiddish, rather than any of the slavic languages. and still mangled i think, because iirc that version of the word transliterates to borsht

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
has anyone seen my jacket? i think i left it here

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

has anyone seen my jacket? i think i left it here

It's really warm. You barely need one.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's borsch, but borshch is also fine i guess. the word is борщ in ukrainian, whereas a t in ukrainian looks like т, and may be conspicuously absent from the name of the soup named after one of its origianl ingredients, hogweed – борщівник

the spelling most commonly used by americans, in my experience, is from yiddish, rather than any of the slavic languages. and still mangled i think, because iirc that version of the word transliterates to borsht

In Finnish it's just called borssikeitto (borssi soup), but I suppose that is cultural imperialism.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's really warm. You barely need one.
its got sentimental value

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mellow Seas posted:

The one that annoyed me was that it was a "twist" that Jimi Simpson and Ed Harris were the same character. Like, that's not how aging works in real life! We would've known they were the same guy if they actually were! And they're supposed to be! Arrgh!

Good show tho.

mine is the whole mithril is Elf Crack now arc. it's adding something that did not need to be added and is just clumsy. Also spending like 4 hours with the hobbits but only 15 minutes forging the rings. Just make more episodes! why did it have to be 8 its not like you have a goddamn network spot.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i don't know why wikipedia says it's from yiddish, "borscht" with the -scht spelling is from plautdiesch. that's not mangled, it's just how it's spelled.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

i don't know why wikipedia says it's from yiddish, "borscht" with the -scht spelling is from plautdiesch. that's not mangled, it's just how it's spelled.

because it was ashkenazi jews who popularised it in america, rather than mennonites

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

my family used to get borscht and perogies from this nice polish deli

And there was....6-7 years ago a russian restaurant here where I got it. That place did not last long.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

my family used to get borscht and perogies from this nice polish deli

And there was....6-7 years ago a russian restaurant here where I got it. That place did not last long.

probably got flamed for their rye bread by the first actual russian tourist looking to reload from hangover

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

probably got flamed for their rye bread by the first actual russian tourist looking to reload from hangover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avSAVz7tBy8

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I think the conversation has moved on in USCE, but what does one call oneself if they recognize none of the better things can be built in their lifetime, and more than likely dying to make way for said better things is the best they can hope for (if they insist on hoping for better things *gestures at climate change*).
Like, destruction bad creation good is a pretty commonly held belief, but if one recognizes that what we have is unacceptable and all avenues of reform are laughable, what can they call themselves but a comic book supervillian?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BRJurgis posted:

I think the conversation has moved on in USCE, but what does one call oneself if they recognize none of the better things can be built in their lifetime, and more than likely dying to make way for said better things is the best they can hope for (if they insist on hoping for better things *gestures at climate change*).
Like, destruction bad creation good is a pretty commonly held belief, but if one recognizes that what we have is unacceptable and all avenues of reform are laughable, what can they call themselves but a comic book supervillian?

I'm LAFFYGUY

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BRJurgis posted:

Whatever the noun form of "dehumanize and face to bloodshed" is I guess.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Spelling doesn't matter at all except to the extent that it leads to correct pronunciation

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

BRJurgis posted:

they're nihilists donny

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I would believe in society, I used to so much. I used to be jr captain America votescold and somehow never got my rear end kicked telling cars and basements full of sometimes dangerous (fellow) burnouts and criminals that they couldnt complain if they didn't try to fix things. I worked a manufacturing job and my minor ascension ended not when I quit, but when my boss (absolutely correctly) told me the work I was focusing on was a waste of time because although it was necessary to improve things, it was not matched before or after me, and therefor meaningless, and I had to work with what I had.

I could believe again, but for the terrible cost of our extraction consumption and exploitation. Not enough people take personal responsibility, and the ones who do become... unhealthy. What is left but laughing into the void?

I haven't give up paying attention, trying to stay informed and educate myself enough to spread the word. But academia on a wholly restructured understanding of global power is, sadly, merely content for posters. It's increasingly only useful to me as a method of highlighting the failures of the world we currently face.

Honestly I think the idea that I could participate in building (nevermind enjoy) a better world is toxic positivity hubris. We're pretty lucky here in the heart of the last peak of material comfort... but not that lucky. So how could I sincerely identify with anything aside from "not this, at all cost, cuz it's already costing everything"

Edit: OK I'm over that, gonna try to reconcile marvel supervillians with mfdoom already existing (don't even wanna get into pop culture Thanos appreciation).

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 22, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Spelling doesn't matter at all except to the extent that it leads to correct pronunciation

it can tell you interesting things about how and where someone learned to make a dish too though

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

it can tell you interesting things about how and where someone learned to make a dish too though

Does it come from a can and/or box and all end up in the same pot? You learned how to make midwest casserole.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Furnaceface posted:

Does it come from a can and/or box and all end up in the same pot? You learned how to make midwest hot dish.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i used to think i would grow out of procrastination, but here i am watching youtuber videos of some eastern european guy play world of warships instead of finishing my grant application

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BRJurgis posted:

Sounds like either depression or "Joker is actually a super profound movie, dude" syndrome.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Sounds like either depression or "Joker is actually a super profound movie, dude" syndrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFAcFtBD48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

You know what.

I never saw the joker and all the best parts of the fifth element must be the ones I forgot.