Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

IMO Dumo is hurting the forwards more than the forwards are hurting him.

Dealing with a lack of finishing by acquiring Puljujarvi would be comedy, though

Agreed on Dumo, but as we all know that Dumo isn't being touched unless something insane happens.

In a funny way if you were to swap Puljujarvi for Kapanen you might see a big difference in production. Thing about the Carter/McGinn whoever creates about 1.8 rebounds per 60 vs (again combined) 3 for the aforementioned other 3. Heinen gets a mention for being very tiny slightly better at creating a rush but worse at creating rebounds. Where this combination also collapses is individual high dangers...Carter creates 3.5 which is about on par with Archibald and Poehling. Blueger is close with 3.5 the it's a big fall to 2.8 for McGinn and 2.4 and 2.3 for Kapanen.

Puljujarvi is 3.28 high dangers, .29 rush, and .48 rebounds, but if he can do some of the work so Carter can actually get up the ice into position might be an improvement. Bones is 1.13 rush, 1.6 rebounds, and 4.32 individual high dangers. JvR is 4.15 high dangers, .6 rush, and 1.26 rebounds. Bjugstad ranks in at 3.76 high dangers, .8 rush, and 1.25 rebounds.

Point being old man Carter being the one that skates the puck 'cause no one else him can. Jesse doesn't seem to solve that particular issue either. But if you can tack on a player that can actually make a zone exit for themselves instead of relying on Carter to do it all of a sudden that line might open up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Jarrys in for the Pens tonight, too. Everything aligning for Pittsburgh which surely means an Islanders win.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Islanders are hosed you just hate to see it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I totally called that Kane performance before watching the game with some friends, and it just kept getting funnier

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Are they laughing with you....just out of frame....?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Imo deployments are a little overrated as a factor. Most shifts are started on the fly. Carter starts almost 60% of his shifts on the fly.

And I think his (and the bottom six) numbers are horrific even in light of their deployments.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

WeaponX posted:

Isles fans are some of the most entertaining in hockey though so not having them in the playoffs will kind of suck a bit. Rangers, Devils and Sabres fans just dont have the same level of spite and vitriol.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Isles fans are some of the most entertaining in hockey though so not having them in the playoffs will kind of suck a bit. Rangers, Devils and Sabres fans just dont have the same level of spite and vitriol.

they priced out + banned the BUY A PORSCHE HEXTALL, BUY A PORSCHE / BEAT YOUR WIFE POTVIN, BEAT YOUR WIFE / HOMO LARRY clap-clap-clapclapclap chants at MSG.

(the most despicable 1970s Italian you've ever seen now living in Florida watching on TV) It's over for the little guy.

Devils fans will be back once they have a good playoff series against NY/Philly. They are fairweather but still run on spite, but it's a localized spite that really comes through when they have someone actually opposing them. You can see it in this thread when they are instinctively thin-skinned against people making even mild comments about them possibly not being the best team in the league. When it actually happens they will be very entertaining. They need some good series against their two big local rivals to come back, which should happen this year.

Islander fans to your point are just like that which makes them the pound-for-pound most disgusting. They aren't even aware they're doing anything special--they're just from Long Island and acting normally.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ive never seen fights break out en mass like I did at Nassau when the Rangers came back from being down 4-0 a few years ago.

It was like someone threw a cow in a lion pit.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Are they laughing with you....just out of frame....?

Nope they were pretty choked

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Ive never seen fights break out en mass like I did at Nassau when the Rangers came back from being down 4-0 a few years ago.

It was like someone threw a cow in a lion pit.

one of my cherished childhood memories is going to a Devils-Flyers game at Meadowlands and hearing the most vile poo poo in the tunnel from both sides’ fans at each other. but then both teams saw a family of Rangers fans that decided to wear their jerseys to the game despite it being a Devils-Flyers game. and both other fanbases just started screaming and cursing at this poor couple with what must have been like an eight and a ten year old kid.

even then I remember thinking you moron. you fools. why would you involve your kids in that. no way I’m wearing a Rangers jersey to a game between those two troglodyte fanbases, much less having a kid do that with me.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

one of my cherished childhood memories is going to a Devils-Flyers game at Meadowlands and hearing the most vile poo poo in the tunnel from both sides’ fans at each other. but then both teams saw a family of Rangers fans that decided to wear their jerseys to the game despite it being a Devils-Flyers game. and both other fanbases just started screaming and cursing at this poor couple with what must have been like an eight and a ten year old kid.

even then I remember thinking you moron. you fools. why would you involve your kids in that. no way I’m wearing a Rangers jersey to a game between those two troglodyte fanbases, much less having a kid do that with me.

Was this the game

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
please, that was in philadelphia. it was the series the flyers gagged a 3-1 lead

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Bring that unprotected 2024 1st rounder to me. Beauvillier has been a pleasant surprise too
(Raty much less so).

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Carter Verhaeghe has scored 30 goals this year. What's the most anonymous player to score 30, 40, or 50 goals? Because who the gently caress is Carter Verhaeghe?

Also, no one pointing out that McDavid has 102 points already and 20 points over #2 because ho-hum it's just McDavid.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Carter Verhaeghe is hardly anonymous. He's been a 20+ goal player for several years now. You're probably just not as aware of him since he started in the COVID shortened seasons with Tampa.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Carter Verhaeghe single-handedly beat the Capitals last postseason. Dude is real good.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pungry posted:

Because who the gently caress is Carter Verhaeghe?

I thought you were a Panthers fan??

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I know Carter Verhaeghe very well as a Panthers fan, but I figure he's anonymous across the league. Leafs fans know him as a 3rd rounder that left before developing, and Lightning fans know him as a 4th liner that left to get a bigger role, but does the league at large know him? Just on the Panthers alone, you'd expect to know Barkov, Tkachuk, Bobrovksy, Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad before Verhaeghe due to a mix of draft pedigree and (former) star status. It's cool if people now know him widely.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/peskysickos/status/1627755523520008200

Get used this Sens fans, it ends the same way almost every time.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/peskysickos/status/1627755523520008200

Get used this Sens fans, it ends the same way almost every time.

lol they posted this unironically but it’s literally his only move

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Chiming in to say that Carter Verhaeghe isn't unknown. As a fan who hardly watches any non-Rangers games, I've been hearing about him for a few years now. He was blocked on a stacked Tampa team, where he didn't even get a shot at the NHL despite putting up 34 goals and 48 assists for 82 points in 76 games at age 23. He was getting a lot of recognition during covid times, though, I guess he just didn't have the eye-catching totals due to the shortened season.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah Verhaege is one of the better 5 on 5 scorers in the league consistently

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1627745424315412482?s=46&t=96KdleCXFHNupYIbrBi-dw

The Rangers SHOULD be waiving Leschysysysysyn and be all over claiming Jankowski, but I doubt they do. Jankowski is a better player than Jake (low bar), better at face offs, AND is actually slightly cheaper so getting him wouldn't preclude them from still going after Bjugstad or someone else at the deadline. Then when they inevitably lose Kravtsov they could keep Jankowski around as 13F.

The only issue is I'm not sure if they actually CAN claim him. According to CapFriendly they have $720k of space today, not enough to accommodate Jankowski's $750k cap hit. They could accommodate it after waiving Jake L, but they'd have to waive him tomorrow and wouldn't be able to assign him until he clears on Wednesday, which I think means it won't work? I don't know - I feel like I understand cap gymnastics only like 75%.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If they really wanted to claim him, Schneider is waivers-exempt so they could send him down tomorrow, make room, then call him up for Thursday's game. They could either waive someone and send them down, or make a trade, since we know they've been talking to other teams.

I think what interested the Rangers in Leschyshyn is that he's signed for three years at league minimum and an RFA after that, while Jankowski's contract is a UFA at the end of this season. They do seem to be after a 4C rental, though, and this one would be free.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol Gourde just won a faceoff into his own net

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/1627676525494521856?t=Gl20V95y6GELHWs-w1AN2w&s=19

Seems good.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

OldSenileGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1627745424315412482?s=46&t=96KdleCXFHNupYIbrBi-dw

The Rangers SHOULD be waiving Leschysysysysyn and be all over claiming Jankowski, but I doubt they do. Jankowski is a better player than Jake (low bar), better at face offs, AND is actually slightly cheaper so getting him wouldn't preclude them from still going after Bjugstad or someone else at the deadline. Then when they inevitably lose Kravtsov they could keep Jankowski around as 13F.

The only issue is I'm not sure if they actually CAN claim him. According to CapFriendly they have $720k of space today, not enough to accommodate Jankowski's $750k cap hit. They could accommodate it after waiving Jake L, but they'd have to waive him tomorrow and wouldn't be able to assign him until he clears on Wednesday, which I think means it won't work? I don't know - I feel like I understand cap gymnastics only like 75%.

Is this Jay Feaster's Mark "Will Be Viewed As The Best Player in This Draft" Jankowski?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TNABuffalo posted:

I don't care what he makes, thank God for Jeff Skinner. Lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1627390060122480640

I laughed at this. Also I love that he has an Emily in Paris photo behind him.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So basically Connor McDavid is doing close to what he's doing in the NHL.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

i could see sorokin doing a classic god like goalie on a bad team upsets a top seed

not that i, as a red wings fan, have any experience with this

so you're saying you could see, say, ville husso doing this to boston?

i agree

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
its pretty funny to me that two of the midday president's day games involved canadian teams. including one in calgary itself. nhl schedulers :shrug:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Canada has the day off too. Some dumb thing called "Family Day" they probably made up so they could also have President's Day off

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Canada has the day off too. Some dumb thing called "Family Day" they probably made up so they could also have President's Day off

I thought that the Canadian government made sure there was at least one federal holiday each month so that families could spend more time together or something?? So they added some random ones like Family Day.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the cool provinces named theirs something different but yeah most of the country lives in a place that has family day.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought that the Canadian government made sure there was at least one federal holiday each month so that families could spend more time together or something?? So they added some random ones like Family Day.

Yeah and the one for February just happens to line up with President's Day perfectly. It's because they want to get NHL games during the day too!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Holy poo poo Calgary is bad

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

really? huh. learn something new every day

grack posted:

Holy poo poo Calgary is bad

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 21, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I mean, I would be all for the US doing something like this but whelp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Pastrnak is at 41 goals in 56 games, McDavid 42 in 57. Getting to 50 for both of them is a foregone conclusion, barring injuries. I wonder if one or both of them can get to 60.

Also Boston is going to have to pay Pasta like 14 million a year the way he's playing now.

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, I would be all for the US doing something like this but whelp.

Well we get 11 but none of them are in March, April, or August. They need to move some holidays around.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 21, 2023