Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I mean if your surname is Doody getting called something else is probably a refreshing change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure you can describe a member of a weird evangelical church with deeply reactionary theology that includes "the Pope is the antichrist, and I don't mean that metaphorically" as a centrist. Maybe in the 1700s

And yet, tim farron.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure you can describe a member of a weird evangelical church with deeply reactionary theology that includes "the Pope is the antichrist, and I don't mean that metaphorically" as a centrist. Maybe in the 1700s

And yet an embarrassing number of self-described centrist columnists were hyping her.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Darth Walrus posted:

And yet an embarrassing number of self-described centrist columnists were hyping her.

Reactionary bigots in the UK press? Who could imagine such a thing?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

the centrist commentariat hates to do actual research so as long as you say publicly what they want to hear they'll completely ignore all your other positions (see Stewart, Rory)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Centrism is when you say the far right stuff but in a quavery voice and look sad about it.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Centrism is just an ever growing pile of turds.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Rookoo posted:

This just jogged my memory of an article we discovered in highschool to much amusement.

Such a bizarre thing to put out about your family if you've got two school aged kids, but maybe 2003 was more of a different time than I remember.

it wasn't, and that poor lad's face says it all

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Darth Walrus posted:

Even Ash Sarkar was.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 20, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rookoo posted:

This just jogged my memory of an article we discovered in highschool to much amusement.

Such a bizarre thing to put out about your family if you've got two school aged kids, but maybe 2003 was more of a different time than I remember.

Don’t make me post Rodney Bewes again

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are your blokes thoughts on the growing backlash to so-called “15 minute cities”

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on the growing backlash to so-called “15 minute cities”

Get hosed wizard master

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Begun the battle for eight peaks has

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rookoo posted:

"savoury ducks" is a far better name for them anyway.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Skarsnik posted:

Get hosed wizard master

what a oval office

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Apparently Johnson has been in the Commons today saying we should support Ukraine returning to its 1991 borders.

Doesn't sound at all dangerous, sabres actually make quite soothing rattles.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

Apparently Johnson has been in the Commons today saying we should support Ukraine returning to its 1991 borders.

Support returning Ukraine to its 1989 borders, bring back the USSR

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good catch here:

https://twitter.com/adamramsay/status/1627805734808199168?s=46&t=2OD7Z-yJCG_Dbjfn_cnvXQ

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sebzilla posted:

it’s funny now all the belligerent stupid poo poo he used to get up to is now on the outside as a disgraced former PM, like an expelled pupil pressing his face up against the window glass trying to egg on his old ERG mates to cause a ruckus in class for old times sake

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Spoilered as references threats made to transwomen.

Seems far right terror group NA (not written their name out in full deliberately) have made death threats to two transwomen in the public eye: India Willoughby & Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu.

India Willoughby says her accountant brought the *hand-delivered* letter round to her and is alarmed for her safety. Not sure if Dr Shola's was hand-delivered but that could be inferred from the way she wrote 'it was through her front door'. Both have tweeted out. I decided not to share the tweets because it might be too upsetting.

These two are both in the public eye. But maybe others are also getting these but without the platforms? Stay safe people.

What a nasty, hate-filled little country great Britain is becoming. Was it as bad as this before the brexit vote? I was abroad for most of a decade before that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

I want the Tories to lose, but also want Labour to eat poo poo, so not sure who to root for here.

Ditto. Just been reading the absolute anti-left fuckery on twitter basically anyone who disapproves of Starmer but isn't a tory is an anti-semite.

I know a lot of people who are not going to vote at all next time but that doesn't give Starmer the punch in the gob (metaphor, Hofficer, metaphor) he so richly deserves.

I wish there was a consensus 3rd party. Greens seem most widespread and maybe I'll vote for them if it seems a lot of folk are going that way. Just tories & labour both need a kicking.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's a timing coincidence w.r.t. brexit, but of course it does serve as a useful distraction, like Richie wasting our time on Roald Dahl. The same-sex marriage dam keeping the evangelical crazies riled up was finally broken in 2015 in the USA, so T naturally replaced LG(b) as Public Enemy #1 and since our nutjobs are funded by their nutjobs, transphobia in the public eye via the media went to the moon.

Brianna Ghey is a flashpoint cos it's the bit where it's all just a bit of fun, beating people up is fine, look we're just having a gender-critical debate here turns into oh poo poo people might start thinking terfs are bad if they end up getting young girls murdered. (c.f. Farridge getting a bit wild-eyed and hey-now-let's-talk-about-this panicky post-brexit vote.)

But in reality it'll be a version of Sandy Hook. An appalling and completely avoidable tragedy, a national holding of breath in case something changes, and then relief when nothing has to change.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's just so loving bleak and joyless. Some people say they want to live in a way that would make them measurably happier (and in other cases not eventually kill themself), and apparently that drives other people to screeching insanity.

Milo Edwards is right, the only consistent and prevailing political belief of the UK is "It's poo poo, it's supposed to be poo poo, and if you don't like it you can gently caress off."

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There was an English man who found a magic lamp, he gave it a rub and out popped the Genie. "BEHOLD, I SHALL GRANT YOU ANY WISH YOU SO DESIRE, BUT BE AWARE, WHATEVER I GIVE TO YOU I WILL GIVE TO YOUR NEIGHBOURS AS WELL".

The Englishman thought for a bit, and after a while he knew what he was going to wish for.

"Give me chlamydia".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This paper is from 2009 and might go towards explaining anti-trans obsession with toilets:
Link goes straight to a PDF

"Harry Potter and the Terrors of the Toilet"

[https://researchonline.federation.edu.au/vital/access/services/Download/vital:623/DS1

I've skimmed about half of it.

This is the end of the paper:

quote:

For Harry, the abject manifests itself in horror and disgust, especially in
association with toilets, an association ingeniously varied by Rowling
from book to book: there remains one more volume to come, Harry’s
last chance for a conclusive triumph over the terrors of the toilet.

I'm so glad my attempts to read Potter back in the 90s when every adult was secretly reading it in false covers failed because try as I might, and even trying to listen to Stephen Fry reading it, I just couldn't get past the first few pages.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think they are specifically toilet obsessed, just that they have a very limited repertoire of ways to make their concerns appear realistic so they keep using the same ones, also I think people obsessed with upholding conservative societal values just are not generally very imaginative.

Really I think it is hating the idea that people need to validate themselves. People who transition or who are nonconforming in any number of ways, but especially in ways which deny them access to common forms of societal validation, necessarily have to learn how to validate themselves, often in direct opposition to prevailing social trends, and also usually have to put in work to build parallel structures of support.

Conversely people who cling to old, rotting structures and who become increasingly hysterical as people divest from them because they suck and make a lot of people miserable, are generally very hostile to the idea of standing on their own, essentially. Of being adrift in a sea of subjective meaning and where the only firm ground is the one you cobble together out of your own thoughts and whatever friends you can find.

It's a big thing with conservatives, they absolutely hate relativism, so squishy ideas like "gender is fuzzy, fluid, and performative" drive them absolutely batshit. Also "god doesn't actually exist and so proclaiming things to be wrong because god said so doesn't hold much weight and is actually just a reflection of your own thoughts" and "nations are complicated things and generally have done a lot more bad than good throughout history, and it isn't surprising that not everybody thinks they're something to be very proud of"

Simple thoughts for simple minds only, unfortunately. They cannot deal with the fact that humans are capable of existing in a huge number of different ways and often happily, and they definitely cannot deal with the fact that a lot of the problems people face are directly caused by their trying to shove them into lovely old categories that don't work.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 21, 2023

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
More prosaically, if JowKowRow can convince you your life is bad because you're gonna be attacked by a man in a dress every time you nip to the loo, or the ebil tranzez are sucking away your femininity with their vampire-like fangs, you'll not be noticing that your life is actually bad because you haven't got a house and you cannot afford food or electricity.

Problem: solved. Trebles and PPE contracts all round.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
more snippets from the book I'm reading (YES I'm still reading it, it's a big book ok)

Elections are a farce:

Politicians are cunts:

Conservatives are thick:

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Rowling has more money than God. If I was lucky enough to be in that position I'd be spending my time travelling the world, and sponsoring the local non-league football team, not wasting my life in 140 characters on the world's worst website.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

There was an English man who found a magic lamp, he gave it a rub and out popped the Genie. "BEHOLD, I SHALL GRANT YOU ANY WISH YOU SO DESIRE, BUT BE AWARE, WHATEVER I GIVE TO YOU I WILL GIVE TO YOUR NEIGHBOURS AS WELL".

The Englishman thought for a bit, and after a while he knew what he was going to wish for.

"Give me chlamydia".

Then there is the tale of Wee Jimmy. Homeless in the streets of Glasgow, one day Jimmy found a bottle of Buckfast. He opened it, and to his surprise a genie came out.

"I AM THE GENIE OF THE BUCKFAST BOTTLE" it said, "AND I WILL GRANT ANY ONE WISH THAT YOU DESIRE!"

Jimmy thought for a moment, then said, "Alright, I want tae get ma hole".

"I'M SORRY, MASTER, I DON'T UNDERSTAND."

"Ma hole, ye fucken eejit! I want tae get stuck intae a woman's oval office!"

"AS YOU COMMAND, MASTER!" the genie cried, and with a clap of its hands turned Jimmy into a tampon.

The moral: if an offer sounds too good to be true, there's going to be a string attached.

viriditas
Sep 13, 2013

Microplastics posted:

more snippets from the book I'm reading (YES I'm still reading it, it's a big book ok)]

what book are these from?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gambrinus posted:

Rowling has more money than God. If I was lucky enough to be in that position I'd be spending my time travelling the world, and sponsoring the local non-league football team, not wasting my life in 140 characters on the world's worst website.

Yeah, that's the funniest/ saddest thing about it all: she's one of the few people in the world who has the opportunity to live her life in literally any way she likes, and she chooses to spend it in sour-faced Twitter posting and hating on trans people. Like, she's curled up in a massive sofa in a massive sitting room in some big loving mansion, obsessively searching her own name on Twitter, as a butler brings her tea and the daily newspaper on a silver platter (I assume that all rich people have butlers, like Lara Croft).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

She also sometimes shuts the butler in the fridge

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's almost like money doesn't actually bring happiness, especially when you try to use it to paper over your inner demons.

She's posting on twitter because I imagine if she went exploring the world she couldn't enjoy any of it because of her inability to not think about trans people.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, that's the funniest/ saddest thing about it all: she's one of the few people in the world who has the opportunity to live her life in literally any way she likes, and she chooses to spend it in sour-faced Twitter posting and hating on trans people. Like, she's curled up in a massive sofa in a massive sitting room in some big loving mansion, obsessively searching her own name on Twitter, as a butler brings her tea and the daily newspaper on a silver platter (I assume that all rich people have butlers, like Lara Croft).

she's aiming at replacing churchill as the Greatest Englishman

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

It's almost like money doesn't actually bring happiness, especially when you try to use it to paper over your inner demons.

It doesn't bring happiness but it does bring you the freedom to do the things that make you happy. And unfortunately I guess what makes Joanne happy is making the world worse for vulnerable minorities.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If I had gently caress you money I’d just go away forever

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

If I had gently caress you money I’d just go away forever

My farfetched "if I won the lottery" fantasy amounts to "I'd buy a place to live so I don't have to rent"

Ah 21st century Britain, where unreasonable fantasies amount to normal activity for my parents generation

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If I had Rowling money I'd build a dwarven fortress in the Highlands and spend my days smoking dank nugs and riding a bike around my vast network of tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Could get Dornoch Castle for a cool £2.5m, or the price of a 3 bedroom house in parts or central London

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/85778667