Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bulletsponge13 posted:

That was the most reasonable and forgivable ND I've ever seen.
I hope home dude survived. And survives the war.

Noticed the dead Russian had a rail, but no attachments. Hearing pro, but no helmet. Moved with comfort and proficiency with his kit. He did seem target focused, which makes me believe this position is either cut off from the rest of the line (trench lines destroyed/occupied/contested, possibly not linked due to geography, etc) or a forward position to act as an Listening Observation Post (LPOP). That would explain the little concern for near security and the focus on what we can't see. The subtitles lead me to believe this was a forward warning posting; it explains the manning, the size, the layout, and the Tactical actions we see.

I'm not an expert, blah blah blah.

I also missed two points I wanted to make in previous posts- when I said the air is trying to kill you, that's the way it feels. Nearly everything that will kill you is invisible. That part of the reason in the Congo Emergency (the 68 Stanleyville Crisis) many of the Simba fighters thought it was the sound that killed you. (There was more to it, but just assume colonial racism).

On the Ammo Monkey in the bunker- I'm not sure if I've said it here, but I've said it IRL and to my former Squad Leader- "Combat is scary. You are just as scared doing nothing as doing something, so do SOMETHING."

No helmet makes a little sense in those super cramped Russian fighting vehicles. He's basically got a cloth tanker helmet/bump cap. I agree with the LP. It's a short L/T shaped trench with a shallow dugout. No connection to the main line otherwise I'm sure they would have fallen back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Cramped conditions inside of vehicles is why you wear helmets inside of them, you'll gently caress your head up real quick even if the vehicle is stationary, let alone on the move. Other than other human beings there is nothing inside of them that is even remotely soft enough to not hurt if you bump into it.

It looks like he's wearing a CVC liner without the hard shell that goes over it. Keeps your head warm and lets you communicate but nothing protective about them.

The Ukrainians in the video look like they're in a long-term observation post as part of a screen in-depth, with other similar OPs likely within a few hundred meters and then another layer of OPs behind them which likely have both more people and more equipment to support the more forward OPs. Hard to tell what all is going on around them nearby.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fragrag posted:

It's weird seeing cultural propaganda icons pop into existence in real time. We all know the story of Rosie the Riveter but obviously that must have come from somewhere.

Still, seeing the POTUS posing in front of a meme icon in a foreign capital at war is mindboggling.

Much as the image delights me I have to point out that that picture is full of leafy trees and it is February in Kyiv right now

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
consider me a gullible victim of online psy-ops then

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

From the video of the trench fight, you can see some sort of grenade fly overhead in a single frame. Some redditors claim it's an OG-15VMZ frag round used by BMP-1s, but it's hard to tell with a single blurry frame.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Re: the ND - he's reloading a PKM, which is an open bolt design. If someone isn't used to working with an open bolt weapon, it's pretty easy to accidentally discharge if you let the bolt ride forward with the belt in the feed tray.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

^^ That's exactly how I had the only ND of my entire career, except it was an RPD (and nobody noticed except for me so I escaped the consequences)

As a former Bradley dismount, agreed 100% you need a helmet inside of those things even when stationary, especially if you draw the short straw and have to sit in the little cramped spot behind the driver. I've never been inside a BMP but it's probably even worse.

I finally watched that trench video and it does seem like there are more Ukrainian trenches not too far behind them that the Russians are fixated on towards the beginning of the video. It's hard to tell but my best guess is that this is an LP/OP like others have said, and IMO the Russians didn't seem to know they were there at all until the 1st or 2nd RPG, after which they send out dismounts to find the OP. After the first few dismounts go down, they finally seem to have an idea of where the Ukrainians in this video are at and that's when you first start hearing the bullets flying over their trench (the whipping noise).

I'm so glad I never had to deal with this poo poo IRL, not to discount what a lot of us went through but I still felt like a lucky SOB watching this video.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 20, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

quote:

WB: First time in such situation.

POV: I'm too. You think I have like this each day?

So...Did he mean first time in a firefight or first time in a firefight as intense as that?

Either way, goddamn.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bees everywhere posted:

^^ That's exactly how I had the only ND of my entire career, except it was an RPD (and nobody noticed except for me so I escaped the consequences)
As a former Bradley dismount, agreed 100% you need a helmet inside of those things even when stationary, especially if you draw the short straw and have to sit in the little cramped spot behind the driver. I've never been inside a BMP but it's probably even worse.

BMP-2.

This guy says he's 6 feet and is in a BMP-2.

On a BMP-3, most of the squad opens a series of 4 doors (two top, two rear) so they can crawl/step up and over the engine deck to egress.

Your IFV designs get real weird when you prioritize being amphibious.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 20, 2023

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Good luck fitting an Igloo cooler full of rip its in there!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Riding to battle being unable to talk to half your squadmates or share ammo/food/water seems lovely. On the other hand, can cross a small river!

And what would commanders do without the ability to fiddle around with a map with their LTs in the back of an APC/IFV?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bees everywhere posted:

So that's where they went!

....honestly, if I knew somebody having to go into the back of a BMP, they can have the Rip Its. They've earned them. I got to sit in a BMP-2 and I'm 5'10" and it was excruciatingly uncomfortable. Sitting in a Bradley felt cramped but at least comfortable.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was on Strykers and you hear a lot of people complain about them, especially in regards to maintenance but they're seriously a luxury when it comes to military vehicles. Even more so as a scout platoon, we had 6 scouts per Stryker compared to the 11 for the infantry. They're honestly a really good reconnaissance vehicle, you can mount and power our best optics and they're able to stay forward for quite a long time if you maintain them properly. They can recharge batteries and carry a poo poo ton of water/food/fuel with plenty of room to spare for other equipment. My platoon never had any of the maintenance issues some of my fellow Stryker brethren complained about.

Those BMPs look awkward to get out of, the ramp of a Stryker lets you dismount quickly and without tripping over poo poo.

4 loving hatches to dismount? Who closes them once the dismounts are out?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Seems like letting people leave the vehicle quickly should've been higher up on the priority list. The last time I had to sit in a vehicle like that I nearly had a panic attack because I felt so immobilized. I can't imagine the terror you'd feel actually being under fire and having to navigate that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Arguably, if your intention is to have all the troops dismount well outside of small arms range and start walking on their own or moving into prepared defenses (i.e. what was done in WW2 and might have been done in a Warsaw/NATO eastern front fight), quick dismounts might be a lower priority compared with keeping the center balance good enough to cross rivers without bridges and engineering.

When you start using the IFVs and their infantry to try to fight inside cities or mountain roads in Afghanistan, that's a rougher time.

Another argument is "the troops can just sit on top," but that's pretty dumb when you consider half the reason for IFVs is to keep your infantry from eating indirect fire shrapnel on the way to the battlefield or being laid out by an MG team laying in wait, and there is very real risk of falling off or otherwise being mangled when riding on top of armored vehicles.

E: they're all steps up from the BTR-70.
https://i.imgur.com/qdghAk3.mp4

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 20, 2023

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm 6'5" and couldn't actually fit in an up-armored HMMWV with my Kevlar on - my head would wind up wedged to the side slightly. Couldn't imagine trying to squeeze into the back of a Bradley.

MRAP passenger seat was fine though.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Jesus, that AFV is practically on top of them.
Yeah this is very close (last frame before the first RPG shot at the AFV):

vvv We don't know if it hit. That can't be seen. He fires a second shot at it 30 seconds later - it looks like the AFV was maybe burning, maybe still shooting, maybe being hit at the same time by something else. It can't be seen what his shots did.

Screenshot of the AFV possibly being hit by something else, and then 2 frames later possible secondary explosion?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 21, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How are weapons like that for firing through thick brush? Do the rounds get deflected easily or do they have enough energy to push branches out of the way? Even at such close range it seems like a miracle that the round hit.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

HEAT RPG rockets use a piezo electric initiator that detonated on impact as the nose cap is crushed. The shape is that way in part to aid in firing through light brush, but there is always an inherent danger.

Fun Fact- a static electric charge can also detonate the rocket, causing enough voltage to initiate when fired through wires and fencing.

We can't gauge the damage on the BMP because no clear shot. I gave their buttholes a new strength of constriction, but I can say if the track is out of the fight. There is usually so much poo poo strapped to a vehicle that it acts like ablative armor.

E- I hope he fragged the loving thing, but without confirmation, I am going to assume the worst and he hit external ammo and gear.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bulletsponge13 posted:

E- I hope he fragged the loving thing, but without confirmation, I am going to assume the worst and he hit external ammo and gear.

Something is burning, but I don't think it's the AFV. The 30mm fire is basically constant, so unless there are two of them it's still at least shooting. I do think the dismounts got out though, as you do when your ride starts getting smacked by RPGs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

The shape is that way in part to aid in firing through light brush, but there is always an inherent danger.

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense vs. just being for aerodynamics.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Oh poo poo you are right, the BMP has driven up behind their position hasn't it?

It's not clear what the overall line is in relation.

It's more that once the afv and dismounts that got past the lp get dealt with, the engagement is roughly in line with the trench. Where they have to be firing over the dugout; which isn't really the way you set up a position...

One person can do that but two would be tripping over each other... also drawing more attention to your specific location by continually firing when you can't really reposition meaningfully isn't great.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I suspect (but obviously can't know) that the BMP rolled up to the trench and got stopped when they got shot at/RPG'd

Dudes dismounted to try to find where it was coming from and walked past the position (which is why that guy got shot).

So about as close to overrun as you can be without them literally being behind you/surrounded. No obvious other allies around and that trench just looks like a little T section with nowhere to go back to.

Yeah gently caress that.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Carth Dookie posted:

I suspect (but obviously can't know) that the BMP rolled up to the trench and got stopped when they got shot at/RPG'd

Dudes dismounted to try to find where it was coming from and walked past the position (which is why that guy got shot).

So about as close to overrun as you can be without them literally being behind you/surrounded. No obvious other allies around and that trench just looks like a little T section with nowhere to go back to.

Yeah gently caress that.

In one of the longer videos, there's a 2nd guy that's also in-frame and is engaged by the Ukrainian Rambo. I think the position was roughly between the BMP and to the left of the other guy that was fully in-frame.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Grenades!

https://mobile.twitter.com/br4s1d4s/status/1627730243955068928

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bulletsponge13 posted:

On the Ammo Monkey in the bunker- I'm not sure if I've said it here, but I've said it IRL and to my former Squad Leader- "Combat is scary. You are just as scared doing nothing as doing something, so do SOMETHING."

poo poo, that's a really good way of looking at things. Stealing that.

Anyways, here's the lone photo I could find of Biden riding a train that isn't the Acela into Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1627785969599410176

Apparently it's owned by Ukraine's rail service. Would imagine it already had some security modifications done to it for others prior to Biden riding in it, but would also expect Secret Service said not to open the blinds at all.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 21, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big All Quiet… vibes from the train pic

I mixed it up with Come and See, lol. Watched too many nasty war movies when I was home alone for a while

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

god the Mk19 is so much fun tho

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's like launching fat little angry bees.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Help me out here, how do the logistics of that visit even work compared to a regular presidential visit.

US presidents travel with a medium army and some serious military hardware, airspace is restricted, non-commercial air-traffic is completely verboten, commercial air-traffic is severely affected, and big-rear end QRF detachments sit around on high-alert in several different places.

How does any of this work in an active warzone with a nation-state adversary? Is it a massive compromise of your overkill-levels of security and pivots entirely on secrecy and a quick in-and-out under the legal umbrella of a diplomatic mission?
Or is the easier answer that you do it all by being completely open with Russia and let them know "listen here, Jack, a piece of ordnance is even moved in the general direction of Kyiv on Monday, let alone mounted on an airframe/loaded into a barrel, the world ends"?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fragrag posted:

It's weird seeing cultural propaganda icons pop into existence in real time. We all know the story of Rosie the Riveter but obviously that must have come from somewhere.

Still, seeing the POTUS posing in front of a meme icon in a foreign capital at war is mindboggling.

"So sick of Killroy memes. Get a new one allied simps!"

"you are literally a nazi"

"gently caress YOOOO

mlmp08 posted:

BMP-2.

This guy says he's 6 feet and is in a BMP-2.

On a BMP-3, most of the squad opens a series of 4 doors (two top, two rear) so they can crawl/step up and over the engine deck to egress.

Pentagon Minoboron Wars HBO special would be great

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 21, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Christ that woman has brass balls

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

bees everywhere posted:

You guys had a cooler? Like, you didn't just rip them off the cardboard pallet and drink them at ambient temperature? The gently caress?

psydude posted:

I'm 6'5" and couldn't actually fit in an up-armored HMMWV with my Kevlar on - my head would wind up wedged to the side slightly. Couldn't imagine trying to squeeze into the back of a Bradley.

MRAP passenger seat was fine though.

At 6'3"then, now 6'2", MRAPS were fine, HMMWV's as a driver were a bit tight let alone as a passenger and MATV's I couldn't properly fit in with my gear on, or even out of it, drat thing would squish my knees and I had to turn my head to fit. I couldn't drive one for long without feeling panic it was so drat tight and I enjoyed the part of OIF where I was getting shot at.

Please if anyone here is in DOD acquisitions stop using the troop body size data from World War 1. We feed our people better now as a matter of national security, even though republicans have forgotten why, and we're taller on average than 5'6".

Steezo fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 21, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Handsome Ralph posted:

but would also expect Secret Service said not to open the blinds at all.

I get why, but even russia isnt dumb enough to kill the president of the us. like, russia has pulled some bonehead moves but they know that would mean death.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

I get why, but even russia isnt dumb enough to kill the president of the us. like, russia has pulled some bonehead moves but they know that would mean death.

The problem is that Russia's internal lines of communication within the military are so poor, that one could easily see the message failing to work it's way done the line correctly in time and some missiles being fired off on schedule that hit a rail station where he's at, with no intent by any one in the Russian military to hit him.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In that POV combat vid, what was that yellow painted weapon he used?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Charlz Guybon posted:

The problem is that Russia's internal lines of communication within the military are so poor, that one could easily see the message failing to work it's way done the line correctly in time and some missiles being fired off on schedule that hit a rail station where he's at, with no intent by any one in the Russian military to hit him.

You'd be surprised at what people are able to figure out when the consequence for failing to do so is total annihilation

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kinda shows how strapped they are because mk19 mounted vehicles were ubiquitous in US forces in 1991. Also, a little planning and equipment should have exposed the Russian mortars to counter battery fire of some sort. Thirdly, if you can spot people moving in their trenches you should be able to get some kind of indirect fire on them better than a mk19 if you have it to use. Finally, you know it’s a poo poo situation when a mk19 is a credible tool for disrupting the other guy’s standard operations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Grip it and rip it posted:

You'd be surprised at what people are able to figure out when the consequence for failing to do so is total annihilation

I wonder if there was some quiet backchannel communications between the US and Russia. Something along the lines of 'Hey, POTUS is going to be in the area for the next 24 hours. We highly recommend you don't do any poo poo during that time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cimber posted:

I wonder if there was some quiet backchannel communications between the US and Russia. Something along the lines of 'Hey, POTUS is going to be in the area for the next 24 hours. We highly recommend you don't do any poo poo during that time."

Far more likely that us intel is good enough to just know exactly when it would be safe for Biden to make the trip.