Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nystral posted:

What does it mean for your future as a Navy Seaman if you don’t pass? Are you at an up or out stage in your career or is it “didn’t pass today, maybe next year” deal?

Lol no I’m about 2 years ahead of schedule by minimum time overall because I skipped to E4 within my first year in the navy and early advanced to E5 and E6. This is my first time testing and I still got 12 years before I’m done. So just “study better for next year” or don’t because my civilian job is just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crab Dad posted:

Lol no I’m about 2 years ahead of schedule by minimum time overall because I skipped to E4 within my first year in the navy and early advanced to E5 and E6. This is my first time testing and I still got 12 years before I’m done. So just “study better for next year” or don’t because my civilian job is just fine.

If/when you get that GS-11 job you mentioned you'll effectively be the Civvie equivalent of a Lieutenant so...

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If/when you get that GS-11 job you mentioned you'll effectively be the Civvie equivalent of a Lieutenant so...

What was Grover again? A GS-13?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nystral posted:

What was Grover again? A GS-13?

Grover was a contractor with the "responsibility" of a GS-13, so even more nebulous.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
grover was grover schedule

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

orange juche posted:

Grover was a contractor with the "responsibility" of a GS-13, so even more nebulous.

Lieutenant colonel equivalent equivalent

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

orange juche posted:

And the common sense of a gold E-4

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LTCOL equivalent equivalent :wtc:

I'm trying to imagine how self important you have to be to posture like that, and whether it bled over into real life, and well, groverhaus.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 18, 2023

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The GS to Officer equivalency is so bizarre. I have successfully used it to my advantage one time ever. Did you know a GS6 is equivalent to a master chief? Lols forever

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

The GS to Officer equivalency is so bizarre. I have successfully used it to my advantage one time ever. Did you know a GS6 is equivalent to a master chief? Lols forever

Whuuuuut.
Lol I wouldn’t trust a GS6 with anything. I’ll barely talk to a 9 without already communicating with at least an 12 on a project specifics.

It’s all bullshit.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

orange juche posted:

LTCOL equivalent equivalent :wtc:

I'm trying to imagine how self important you have to be to posture like that, and whether it bled over into real life, and well, groverhaus.

he's basically the platonic ideal of an engineer

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Grover was a GS-14, which technically I guess is O-5 equivalent if GS-15’s are O-6 equivalent and SES is GO/FO.. and as far as I remember things.. yeah, that’s the equivalency’s.

On a personal level- outside the forums and our need to be edgelords or O-5 Equivalent’s, he was a nice guy. He was an awful mod, and a supremely unfunny poster. But on an individual human level he was a good dude. You’d never know it if you didn’t take a little bit of time to get to know the dude. And literally nobody wanted to after most of his initial encounters with people :lol:.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nobody who is a genuinely nice guy could make the Iraq war prediction post lol

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The mystique of Grover has grown over time, like all good sea stories. Just awhile ago I was looking back at the original Groverhause thread, and for the most part is was him posting pictures of his progress to a mostly welcome and receptive audience that was cheering him on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Well, it's also an imperfect comparison because of steps. Imagine the hell of being an "O-4, Step 11."

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I actually interacted with Grover once on SIPR (:lol:). I don't even remember why now other than it was engineering related when I was working on my Master's.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Which one of you staired the other?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The mystique of Grover has grown over time, like all good sea stories. Just awhile ago I was looking back at the original Groverhause thread, and for the most part is was him posting pictures of his progress to a mostly welcome and receptive audience that was cheering him on.

I remember thinking the project and the sheer labor was impressive. Not even the process to become his own inspector was odd as I remember it. But I was largely in college or just out of it when it was going down.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Crab Dad posted:

Whuuuuut.
Lol I wouldn’t trust a GS6 with anything. I’ll barely talk to a 9 without already communicating with at least an 12 on a project specifics.

It’s all bullshit.

GS just depends on how much they want to pay you, in a really underpaid field a GS-5 may be a super expert lmao

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
All the military department heads are O-4s where I'm at but the civilian department heads range from GS-11 down to GS-8 despite all working more than we do.

Of course they're all drawing retirement pay too, so whatever.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Grover was a GS-14, which technically I guess is O-5 equivalent if GS-15’s are O-6 equivalent and SES is GO/FO.. and as far as I remember things.. yeah, that’s the equivalency’s.

On a personal level- outside the forums and our need to be edgelords or O-5 Equivalent’s, he was a nice guy. He was an awful mod, and a supremely unfunny poster. But on an individual human level he was a good dude. You’d never know it if you didn’t take a little bit of time to get to know the dude. And literally nobody wanted to after most of his initial encounters with people :lol:.

Agreed. I actually had minor design input into groverhaus, hung out with him for a few days while I was TAD/TDY in the area. Nice dude but I mean, I'm not gonna defend his bad posting. That said...whomst amongst us...

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Elendil004 posted:

Agreed. I actually had minor design input into groverhaus, hung out with him for a few days while I was TAD/TDY in the area. Nice dude but I mean, I'm not gonna defend his bad posting. That said...whomst amongst us...

Literally no Gipper who ever had a Cures username can cast stones, lol.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

slurm posted:

GS just depends on how much they want to pay you, in a really underpaid field a GS-5 may be a super expert lmao

The whole thing is bonkers and doesn’t really equate across the board. Mind you my experience is only with final sign offs on work not their work on a individual level. I work along side a GS12 project manager for instance on a big deployment project though I actually have more than twice as many people as he does who report to me directly.
The base IT shop has a poo poo ton of GS6 at working at very low IT jobs but similar position at the USNO in DC would be GS9’s.
Steps is were they actually show you more love with money.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
My wife is a gs12. Is that frat?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Do you address her as Sir?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

My wife is a gs12. Is that frat?

Reported.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
The GS equivalency does come into play for foreign housing allotments and the rare times when civilians are housed on base.

I think I'd piss my pants if I ever saw a GS try to pull some sort of rank equivalency in a chain of command though.

https://youtu.be/bKQHCjC3wUI

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 20, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Knew what this was even before clicking...wasn't surprised. :smith:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crab Dad posted:

Wait. You've only been in 8 years!? What the gently caress? I thought you were some semi-crusty 15-20 year who just learned exactly where and how to skate, and here you are barely finishing your second enlistment.

loving lol.

God, I feel old.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. You've only been in 8 years!? What the gently caress? I thought you were some semi-crusty 15-20 year who just learned exactly where and how to skate, and here you are barely finishing your second enlistment.

loving lol.

God, I feel old.

Crab Dad is also an old who just wanted to test the upper limits to enlistment ages.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hekk posted:

Crab Dad is also an old who just wanted to test the upper limits to enlistment ages.

The two guys I knew like this were some of the happiest, or maybe just like least angsty people I’ve ever met. Just quietly going about their day meeting and exceeding expectations with a detached smile on their faces. Imagine what the navy could look like if the minimum age for enlistment was 24.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Proust Malone posted:

The two guys I knew like this were some of the happiest, or maybe just like least angsty people I’ve ever met. Just quietly going about their day meeting and exceeding expectations with a detached smile on their faces. Imagine what the navy could look like if the minimum age for enlistment was 24.

I couldnt agree more. Honestly just 21 and up would help a lot.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
The last four new guys my division have gotten have all been over 21, and all but one of them already married. It's makes a HUGE difference in all aspects. My division hasn't had a liberty incident of any kind since I've been here, over 3 years now.

Of course, we only made port three times during deployment, but still...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crab Dad posted:

I couldnt agree more. Honestly just 21 and up would help a lot.

But then who would the 21 yo Ensigns actually have more life experience over?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Many people wouldn't be stupid enough to sign up for a program like Nuke by 24/25. Based on my anecdotal experience they recruit heavily from the 20-22 year old college dropout lot. Another year or two i. The real world and people wouldve started finding more comfortable ways to make a buck

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The senior enlisted ranks being full of lifers who came in as kids has absolutely validated that the Navy can make people mature and they should not be more selective in any way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Grip it and rip it posted:

Many people wouldn't be stupid enough to sign up for a program like Nuke by 24/25. Based on my anecdotal experience they recruit heavily from the 20-22 year old college dropout lot. Another year or two i. The real world and people wouldve started finding more comfortable ways to make a buck

The dudes that joined as nukes after living as adults in the outside world for a few years were the most miserable dudes ever. The pipeline knows nothing but how to infantalize kids to keep them in line. And yeah, big +1 on like 1/2 the nukes I know being college dropouts.

I'm need to keep up on this thread better, I missed the chance to tell my story about the massive 50-rack scabies outbreak on my first boat that was the result of patronizing the fine establishments in Port Canaveral.

So that PSNS drydock closure, the Connecticut's never going to go underway on her own power again, is she?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Elviscat posted:

I'm need to keep up on this thread better, I missed the chance to tell my story about the massive 50-rack scabies outbreak on my first boat that was the result of patronizing the fine establishments in Port Canaveral.

No you didn't.

:justpost:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

The dudes that joined as nukes after living as adults in the outside world for a few years were the most miserable dudes ever. The pipeline knows nothing but how to infantalize kids to keep them in line. And yeah, big +1 on like 1/2 the nukes I know being college dropouts.

So that PSNS drydock closure, the Connecticut's never going to go underway on her own power again, is she?

We had a scabbies out break in boot because the hot water broke and they didn’t want us to wash our clothes other areas because we might spread it further…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No you didn't.

:justpost:

Pulled in for a few days, one of our EMs convinced a girl from one of the strip clubs to go back to the hotel with him, and he got scabies.

We were doing workups off the coast that involved BSPing on and off riders every few days, well that means shuffling all the hot-rackers around every time (which is why Fast Attack guys HATE riders btw) and every time he moved racks he'd contaminate a new one, same with all the other now infected hot rackers. No one, at this point, realized they had the little critters yet.

Fast forward a few weeks and we're back in Groton, and sailors are starting to wonder why their hands and groins are red and itchy, their SOs are wondering the same thing, a lot of those SOs aren't really buying the classic "toilet seat(rack)" explanation, and the COB ended up having to send out a statement on command letter head about the outbreak to a bunch of wives and girlfriends, which is hilarious.

I was a crank (and single) for that whole trip, so I had my own rack and got to lol about it pretty hard.

Crab Dad posted:

We had a scabbies out break in boot because the hot water broke and they didn’t want us to wash our clothes other areas because we might spread it further…

Yooo, good luck on that CPO exam, and the follow on board proceedings. Are the reserves also doing PMK-EE and only in-rate questions on the main exam? Either way you only have to beat out the other dummies taking the test, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 21, 2023