Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

It's going to be funny when Bunny caps Horse from behind when Bunny gets disarmed and Horse turns to focus on the rest of the room, assuming like a normal person that the second gun is being held by another player.

"Why... Why do you have both guns?"

"John Woo, bitch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Arzaac posted:

I was thinking this too. It's just so... video gamey.

I have bad news for you....

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I laughed at the bullet getting blocked by the knife. This is some AITSF poo poo. I don't hate it exactly, but it does feel weird. Maybe it's because the tone doesn't feel right? Higurashi has extremely improbable fight sequences, but Ryukishi/the translators use a really over the top writing style to depict them, so you kind of go along with it naturally. Mouse's narration is more understated, so the absurdity sticks out way more.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

what was stopping bunny from grabbing the grenade from the trap and making a dead man's switch with it as a backup

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Him including himself as a potential suicide attacker in his plan. Sacrificing tiger was one thing, himself was another

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Pondering an alternate universe where Horse's route was the first to be posted.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

wologar posted:

Pondering an alternate universe where Horse's route was the first to be posted.
"I dunno about you guys, but all other routes has been really tame compared to Horse's."

Though, to be honest, this may still apply even now.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Sketchie posted:

"I dunno about you guys, but all other routes has been really tame compared to Horse's."

Though, to be honest, this may still apply even now.

Monkey's was pretty wild. Even the mouse was breaking at the absurdity of the carnage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Imagine starting with Pig's relatively bloodless route and then it just gets worse and worse.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My playthrough did Snake and Horse first. I just assumed everybody got stabbed in most routes.

I never played further so all the other routes and any presumable good ending will be new to me.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Lamb to the Slaughter]

We made our way up to a different section of the floor, and hid ourselves in a chemistry lab. There, we caught our breaths.

How? It was perfect, we totally had him! And even still, he just didn't die!

He really is incredible.

He really is horrifying! I don't know what on earth could stop that beast. I don't even think he's human.

Well, let's try and stay on the bright side.

What bright side? Tiger and Bunny just got murdered! There is no bright side to this!

Um... I think there's some good things to take from this. Nothing that makes up for their deaths, of course!

But, well, their sacrifices weren't for nothing. He was shot in the side, and twice in the leg. I know it didn't look like it there, but that has to slow him down.

Like you said, it didn't look like that there.

That's because he was running on pure adrenaline! Once he calms down, the pain of that has to kick in. And it's not like there are any medical supplies around here, so the most he could do is bandage it up.

So maybe he has a limp now. So what?

It's not just the bullets. Tiger sparred with him for a while there, Horse was really starting to sweat. He was getting tired.

Not so tired that he couldn't throw a knife into a human body!

True, but again, that was the adrenaline. Think about it, at this point, Horse has been in four separate fights.

He had to act fast to get the jump on Dog. He sparred with Dragon for a while, that definitely took some strength. He moved a vending machine and fought an attrition war to kill Snake.

And against Bunny and Tiger, he took some serious damage and spent a ton of energy! He might be really strong, but he's still human. Humanity has its limits.

He might be doing a bunch of seemingly impossible things, but most of that is probably due to the stress and danger of the situation bringing his muscles into hyperdrive.

But that comes with a cost. Your brain has a limited amount it can handle before things start going south.

So... you're saying he's almost out of juice.

He has to be, right? Horse hasn't been able to eat or drink properly in a while, and yesterday he was electrocuted and tied up for a long time. His body must be incredibly sore. There's no way he's in good condition!

...If my math is right, then at the moment, he just needs one more kill to get across the finish line. It'd all be for nothing if he was overwhelmed right now. So at the moment, he's probably not looking for us. Instead, he's resting up!

Exactly! And also... I have this.

Sheep handed to me the broken taser Dragon had shot before.

This is-

The taser from before, right. I found it on the second floor, and I thought, um, maybe it could be of some use. When Tiger and Rabbit were fighting him off, I tried my best to fix it.

That didn't, uh, go too well, but I think I sort of have it working again.

If I'm right, it'll fire once before I need to re-fix it. Oh, but it'll still shoot out as kind of a kind of short-distance web. I couldn't fix that.

Even so, this is great work Sheep! With this, we actually have something to fight with.

Exactly. I mean, it won't kill him, but if we hunt him down now, when he's weak, manage to stun him, maybe get the dagger from him, we just might be able to win.

You're right, Sheep! We can totally do this! Not just for us, but for Pig and Monkey and Ox and Rooster! We'll find him and we'll end this! Let's go!

[BGM: Silence]

It was at that moment that Horse walked into the Chemistry Lab, not wearing his skull mask or carrying any weaponry.

You'll find me, is it?

H-Horse!

Monster! Piece of poo poo bastard! Scum!

Easy with that. I get that you're upset with me, but name-calling is just petty.

You know what's not petty? Tiger and Bunny's lives! Dragon's life! But you seem to think those are petty, you must, or else why would you kill them? I guess you're just not a very good judge of pettiness.

I placed a great amount of significance in their deaths. As I will with yours.

You monster! I hope you rot in hell for this!

And I hope you may rest in heaven.

S-So what happens now?

With Tiger's death, everyone who I consider a threat is now dead. Killing the rest of you should be easy. Please, just surrender, and let me give you a quick and painless exit.

That's it, huh? You're just gonna calmly walk in here and murder us?

If that's how you want it to be, then yes.

Um, if you want to be accommodating, do you mind telling us why you decided to do all of this?

It's not an answer that would satisfy you.

Alright then, what about this? What's the deal with that skull mask of yours? Why do you go berserk when you wear it, huh?

The mask, hm? Yes, I suppose I owe you that much.

Very well, then. Let me tell you my story.

Oh goodie. Can't wait to hear about this.

I sense sarcasm.

Oh no, not at all.

[BGM: A True Foal]

I was raised in a pretty bad part of Hightower. Lots of ruffians, lots of gangs. Troublemakers and the like. Which was pretty inconvenient, because my father was incredibly morally upright. He had firm convictions of what was right and what was wrong.

He instructed me to follow those teachings to the letter. He ranted on about how I couldn't stray from the noble path, how imperative it was that I be a good upstanding son.

He talked about the dichotomy of people in this world, and how after we die the virtuous will be saved, and the sinful punished. ...And I obeyed him. Not because I was afraid of punishment or anything, but because I believed what he said.

I still believe it, genuinely.

So that defined my early childhood. I was the model student. I would never cheat, never lie, and never cover for anyone. And that, of course, led to incessant bullying from my class.

But I could tolerate it all fine. Because I knew I was right.

Eventually I started making some friends. They were, as my dad would put it, “a bunch of troubled youths”. But they were friendly with me, and at that time in my life that was really all it took.

Slowly but surely, they started convincing me to hang out with them after hours. To have some real fun. I told them again and again, no, no way, nothing good could come of it, and besides, if my dad ever found out I'd be grounded forever.

But they kept on insisting. If I wanted to keep being their friend, I'd have to go out and have some fun with them.

Eventually, one of them offered me this skull mask. He said I should wear it, that way no one would be able to recognize me and I wouldn't get in trouble.

Even back then I physically stood out, but they convinced me that with a hoodie and in the dark of night, no one would find out. When they presented the mask, I caved. I snuck out at night, and got into some real trouble.

I was wracked with guilt, so I convinced myself, “That wasn't me, that was someone else. That was the Night Devil. We just happened to share a body.” That was how I justified it to myself.

And the next night, I did the same thing. Then I justified it in the same way. When I was wearing the skull mask out at night, I wasn't sinning. The Night Devil was. And the Night Devil was really having fun, finally able to pent out his frustration and run wild.

I could control when I lost control.

I guess after a while, I started to really buy into this dichotomy. I remained my father's model son. I never lied, never cheated, never got into fights, never smoked, never drank.

But the Night Devil? Oh, he was a real party animal. He would do all those things that I couldn't. But of course, I wasn't doing them. That wasn't me, that was him.

As time passed, the Night Devil became something of a figure. He wasn't being led around by his friends anymore, he was leading them. They adopted his skull mask. And started to mark their turf.

The Night Devil would get into lots of fights with other hoodlums, other gangs, all while under the moon's disguise. The Night Devil got really good at fighting too, so much so he gained a bit of a reputation.

My father would eventually learn the 'secret' of the Night Devil, but not until I had already gone to college.

I still haven't gone back home. I don't even know if he'd let me.

Anyways, as I stayed at a somewhat local college, I started to think that enough was enough. The Night Devil had had his fun, but he wasn't welcome anymore.

I stuck to the straight and narrow for a while. Got my education. Found a job at a construction company that I still work at to this day.

Eventually, however, I had started to bore of the tedium of life. I was content with a simple life, but something felt... missing.

It was only one night.

I only let him roam the streets for one night. But, what happened that night... he went to a bar. Got pretty drunk. Got into an argument with another man, who also happened to be pretty drunk. Took it outside.

The Night Devil only shoved him, and yet... Luck was not with that man on that night.

The curb hit his head, and he died.

I didn't kill him. The Night Devil did.

And he was a true monster I had let run around on the world.

After that night, I vowed to never let him run free again. And since it was my fault for letting him out, I obsessively followed the story around his death. I was sure at any moment the police would come knocking down my door, there to arrest me for his crimes.

But I was lucky. They never found any evidence linking me to that death. They never even had enough to pin it down as a homicide. I thought that was simply that for a time. However, since I was following his death, I learned of one other tragic fact.

He had a young daughter.

Much worse, he was a single father, with no close relatives. The girl was transferred to an orphanage. It must've been such a sad time for her.

I felt a responsibility to her. I thought about adopting her at the time, but it felt like too cruel an irony.

A father's murderer adopts his only daughter? What a horrible man that must be! No, better to let sleeping dogs lie.

But time passed, and time passed, and she wasn't being adopted.

It wasn't a good orphanage, either, I used to have friends who lived there and they'd tell me horror stories.

Since I... since the Night Devil had killed the poor man, wasn't it my responsibility to at least make sure his daughter can live a good life? I felt it the only way to atone for my sins.

And so, she became my daughter. And ever since that night, I've kept the Night Devil's mask locked in a box, deep in the attic, and with it all memories associated with him.

And yet, through some cruel irony, when I awoke I had his mask on under the Horse mask. Clearly, Brian had dome his research.

I didn't plan on ever using the mask to let him out, but... Well, once the hunt began, I knew who needed to do the killing.

You... you're crazy!

That would be a fair assumption.

B-but hearing that story, I don't think you... I don't think the, um, Night Devil killed anyone. It was an accident, right?

What difference does the intent make?

What will your daughter think when she finds out what you've done?'

She won't find out.

Oh, she will. And let me guess, you never told her that you were the one who killed her daddy either, huh?

Of course I haven't. I wasn't the one who killed him.

Ha! You're pathetic.

That I am. But the least I could do is finish my job.

Y-You mean...

He means he's still going to kill us, in case we forgot.

Any last words?

You don't have to do this!

Please, I know this isn't really you! You wouldn't mercilessly kill two girls just begging for their lives, would you? You told me you'd protect me! You said everything would be fine. You want to be good, right? To atone? Is this really how you plan to do it?

Stop this, please, stop this! I don't want to die! Please, hic, please... spare me. Save me!

Horse stood over Sheep, and yet he had stopped in his tracks. Sheep had curled into a ball, crying nonstop, utterly powerless and pathetic. It should've been an easy kill, and yet... Horse picked Sheep up by her collar, walked over to the door, opened it, then threw her out.

[BGM: Metal Horse]

He then yanked the handle to the left so hard that the wood around it splintered. He gave it a testing shove, and just as intended, the door could no longer be opened or closed.

You stay out of this. For now, anyways. First, I've got this one to deal with.

Horse turned over to stare me down.

I can guess how this is going to go.

Nothing personal.

The room's lights were off, and the curtains were lowered. The room was dark, and my opponent lumbered tall and strong.

There were no escapes. This was it.

Things were so tense that I looped back around to being calm. It's super expected that I die here, right? In that case, might as well accept it. I'm probably going to die. So let's just see what I can do. No pressure.

I'm... ready when you are?

Ready? Don't tell me you're actually going to try and fight me.

Sort of.

It'd be simpler if you didn't.

And I bet you like it when things are simple, huh?

You'd like it too. After all, simple deaths are the least painful.

Actually, not-dying deaths are the least painful.

There's no such thing as a not-dying death.

I know, I was being poetic, to like, you know, turn your phrase back around on you.

Didn't work.

Are you going to come after me or what?

Fine.

[BGM: Steadfast Gallop]

Horse started to make his way towards me. Oh, poo poo. I didn't think this far ahead. I saw him swing his fist, but I ducked under it and started running away.

Running away? Where to?

Away from you!

How long will that last you?

Who knows?

Hm. This could get annoying.

Instead of chasing me down, Horse started to pick up a desk. Was he going to throw that at me? I realized I still had the taser on me that Sheep gave me. I only had one shot, but when was a better time than this? The shot came out wide spread and unfocused, but enough of it hit Horse to make him drop the desk and cry out.

Yes! This was my chance! I ran up to him and started punching him in the chest. ...It didn't take long to realize this wasn't doing anything. Horse, more annoyed than hurt, swat away at me with his other hand. I wasn't able to make it out of the way in time, so he sent me crashing into the nearby table.

Ow. Why did you have to go and do that?

Once again, Horse started to approach me. This time, however, I didn't see a clear place to run away to. I needed to get him to stop, to catch him off guard...

That's right, the final branch point for this route is whether we can survive the fight or not :v: The right answer to this one is pretty obvious, though.

Who's doing the killing?

What?

You said the Night Devil's the murderer, right? But the one coming at me right now is you, isn't it?

That's-

Horse looked conflicted. And being conflicted meant an opportunity. On the nearby shelf, there were a couple of vials. I grabbed one that was labeled Vinegar and threw it right at his face. This caught him off guard, and the glass shattered against his face, leaving him drenched. The impact put him off balance. He stumbled back, and the skull mask fell out of his pocket.

The skull mask! I ran forwards, grabbed it, and as he tried to grab at me I dodged, running further back into the lab.

That's right, run! Running's all you're good for! You just let others do all the work, then run away after they fail! That's all you've done this game, all you can do!

His words stung. I had been running this whole time. But running had kept me alive. Horse was rapidly making his way towards me, but maybe there was something I could do, some trick that could keep me alive. I looked over to the nearby desk, and saw three bottles of chemicals. I wasn't sure, but maybe, just maybe, one of them could save me.

Hey, doesn't this sound familiar...? Either way, time to do some chemical deduction :eng101: Arsenic, while toxic, generally requires ingestion or inhalation, so, well, good luck getting Horse to drink it. And what good is sodium gonna do here, huh? :v: Peroxide, on the other hand...

I grabbed the peroxide. Then I poured it all over the inside of the skull mask. Then, I prayed as Horse approached me.

Now is your time to die!

Wait, wait!

What?

You shouldn't stain your hands with my blood. It should be the Night Devil, right?

Here, let him finish me off!

I handed out the skull mask to him, hoping he would take the bait.

...Yes, you're right. He's the killer. He should do this.

With one hand, he took the Butcher's Knife out of his pocket. With the other, he reached over to the mask, took it, and placed it on his face.

However, the moment the mask made contact with his face, he began screaming. He tore it off, but it was too late. His entire face was burning.

What's wrong? Can't handle the heat?

GAAAAAAGH!

Vinegar and Peroxide. Each is fairly harmless on their own, but together they make a rather powerful combination. A rather painful combination.

Horse fell to his knees, racked with pain. He kept screaming, grabbing at his face, but the burning wasn't stopping. As he did this, the dagger fell to the floor. I couldn't waste this opportunity! I quickly rushed over and grabbed the knife off the floor.

Then, with all my strength, I stabbed it right through his neck. Right then, right as I stabbed him, he stopped screaming and his eyes jolted open. He stared at me. He gave me a long, hard stare. Then, after what felt like an eternity, the man on his knees fell forward. Horse lay face down on the floor, nothing more than a corpse.

I... I did it. Where the others had failed, through quick thinking and sheer luck, I had managed to kill him. I murdered him.

I... won?

It didn't feel like it.

The rest of the race was a blur to me. Sheep helped me break down the door Horse had jacked up. The 'run and hide' strategy ended up working out pretty well for Rooster, Monkey, Pig, and Ox, because they were all fine. Grimly, with so many of us dead, we had the necessary Minor Trinkets to run together as a group. Even through all that insanity, no one had stopped pressing RUN, so we were all at the same space.

Horse ended up being one space away from the finish line. He was a hair's breadth from victory. ...Victory that I stabbed out of him. There was no longer any opposition. With just the 6 of us left, we were able to work as a group and escape. We all crossed the finish line together. Our metal collars came loose. We were free.

But I knew even then, stepping away from that graveyard of a school, that things couldn't be the same. I would be permanently scarred. And six lives would be permanently over. Dog, Dragon, Snake, Tiger, Bunny. In the end, they were all killed for nothing. I could hear the Jade Emperor's laughter. This wasn't a victory.

It was a loss.

[Ending – 8 of Spades]

If nothing is found in the first three rounds but the Sheep's Clothes, trinkets, and weapons, Horse will be assigned a role that forces him to act.

It isn't possible Horse will accept death without a fight. Horse is a monster who can beat any other animal in a fair fight. There is, however, a potential miracle if Mouse can tire out Horse and trick him.

But this possibility is both slim- and bloody. Better paths definitely exist.

Mix. fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 21, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mix. posted:

What bright side? Tiger and Sheep just got murdered! There is no bright side to this!

Should be Bunny here, not Sheep.

I'm also slightly confused as to why Sodium wouldn't work here. You'd think that having a powder that would explode and catch fire would also work pretty well to stop him?

And then there's the fact that if you've got a high enough concentration of peroxide, that poo poo burns just fine on its own - you don't need to add vinegar at all. It's an incredibly strong oxidizer and will ignite cloth without much issue with a decently high concentration (such as the sort of concentration you'd find in a chemistry lab, rather than as a medical supply or sold over the counter). I used to work with 69% peroxide (70% was considered to be hazardous and need special shipping conditions), and you would get a chemical burn from just a drop of it getting onto bare skin. All of the cloth in our lab coats and the cloth we used to clean up spills was specifically ordered so that it wouldn't catch fire if we got peroxide on it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I think this is my least favorite route so far. Unstoppable horror movie monster Horse just doesn't really do much for me.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, it's fine, I suppose, but the others have been more interesting.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Dirk the Average posted:

woops :v: fixed

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Horse was too dedicated to keeping his misdeeds hidden, so he had to go for a TPK and give his tragic backstory. :D Still, he only had to wait and hide 1 more round to get that final space. Even if he wasn't willing to stall for 45 min, chasing people down tends to exacerbate injuries more.

If I understand the branching right, this is the Butcher's Knife route. Non-trusting Sheep was a silent assassin. Trusting Sheep is passive during Horse's rampage, despite all evidence showing her she can't trust or rely on the group to get anything done. This would have gone much better if Mouse had handed her a gun and said "I was wrong".

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm also slightly confused as to why Sodium wouldn't work here. You'd think that having a powder that would explode and catch fire would also work pretty well to stop him?
I'm no chemist, so I'm just guessing here.

I believe the reason why Mouse did what she did was because she knew she would be a terrible shot with the taser (or guns in general, really...), and throwing sodium at Horse... it's not possible, seeing how agile Horse can be. She COULD have put sodium in the mask and hand it to Horse, but there's the issue of sodium being protected behind Horse's mask. I don't think a taser can make sodium catch on fire (seeing how it's behind a mask), nor can sodium cause vinegar to catch on fire (or vice versa) either.

It left peroxide as the only available opinion, and she could easily apply it to the mask as it does not require her to throw it in any way.

Again, I am just guessing here. I could be completely wrong.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sodium reacts extremely vigorously with water. It does so to the point that it's usually stored in oil because even the water vapor in the air is an issue. To be fair, that could be the reason they went with peroxide, but just the idea that Horse's face has moisture on it at all is enough to cause a big problem.

Of course, the larger issue is that since it's a metal or a metal powder, Horse would notice it, while peroxide is colorless and odorless, so all it would register as is wet (and potentially as a chemical burn, depending on concentration).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's not exactly a very fun route, but I actually do kinda like Horse's extreme deadpan-ness. It's a bit of subtle snark.

Well, only five routes left. Dragon's probably gonna be Hateful, but I'm kinda curious what's going to happen once we hit a route where Rooster or Sheep are the traitors - their route's already finished so them being a traitor shouldn't result in a snap killing. Maybe Mouse's route will be there instead somehow and the route where she gets the traitor personality is the 'true' route.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Rooster was a traitor during Desperate/Content. We also had Pig and Monkey both be traitors during Desperate/Content. Sheep and Horse were both traitors during Determined/Selfless, and Tiger outed herself as Selfless. Her route may or may not involve Selfless (as we know Horse finds and uses the knife if he's Determined, and that starts a whole thing).

My point here is that just because there are 12 animals, and presumably 6 pairings of traitorous personalities (I don't think we've seen an instance where the pairs have been different), that doesn't mean that each pairing of personalities is going to show up 2 times.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dirk the Average posted:

Rooster was a traitor during Desperate/Content. We also had Pig and Monkey both be traitors during Desperate/Content. Sheep and Horse were both traitors during Determined/Selfless, and Tiger outed herself as Selfless. Her route may or may not involve Selfless (as we know Horse finds and uses the knife if he's Determined, and that starts a whole thing).

My point here is that just because there are 12 animals, and presumably 6 pairings of traitorous personalities (I don't think we've seen an instance where the pairs have been different), that doesn't mean that each pairing of personalities is going to show up 2 times.

Oh I meant that 'traitors' in the sense that their original personality hasn't come up as a traitorous one. So whatever route where Rooster or Sheep's original personality are used as 'traitors' for the game, it won't be theirs.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Well. Horse's route down. And what a route, huh? I don't remember where exactly they said it, but Themis has said they feel like Horse's route is one of the weakest in the game, since Horse is either dead or in the background a lot of the time on the other routes- something he shares with Sheep, who he woke up with. Believe it or not, the original draft of this route leaned even harder into the weird action vibes and the fights were even more ridiculous, but apparently the beta readers said that it took them out of it enough that Themis decided to tone it down somewhat. Whether that was the right call or not, I can't say, as I never read the original draft, but there you go. Apparently there was also an early version of this route that involved a lot more secrecy about Horse and why he's so tightlipped about everything- Themis mentions there was even a plot thread about a falsified note from the Jade Emperor and everything, though doesn't give specifics. Ultimately, though, his primary motivation has always been to get out alive for his daughter's sake, which is why he usually ends up not going along with the group early in most of the routes- he thinks it's just likely to get himself killed in the process. (And, well. He's kinda right, considering his survival track record thus far :v:)

Themis also said they hoped it came across very clear that Horse is NOT split personality in any regard. His whole deal is a person who wants to do evil or give into violent tendencies internalizing the concept of “another” person that he can push all the culpability onto, and using the physical object as a crutch. It's meant to be more of a dissection of the idea of a person who was raised so strictly that they literally had to dissociate to justify doing something wrong, and how that kind of dichotomy would spiral out of control the longer it went unchecked. He's not meant to be viewed as some kind of statement on how aneurotypicals are inherently evil or whatever, it's just a coping mechanism he developed as a teenager that's gone too far.

Anyway, we missed the other endings for this route, so let's get to it! The first is obvious- going for the gun instead of getting the hell out of there when Horse kills Dog...

[Go for the gun.]

[BGM: Constriction]

I rushed forwards as quickly as I could, determined to reach the gun before Horse could. As soon as he realized what I was doing, he launched forwards towards the pistol. Luckily, I must've caught him off guard, because his reaction was delayed. Perhaps he didn't think I'd actually try and go for it. Whatever the case, my lead was enough for me to get my hands on the pistol well before he could get it.

I picked it up and immediately aimed it at him. I wasn't all too sure how to use it, but I wasn't going to let him know that.

Freeze!

I shouted this with as much intimidating force as I could possibly muster. If I wasn't able to intimidate him, I would have to risk pulling the trigger and hoping that the gun would actually fire. I didn't know how, but my words seemed to stop him. He came to a halt and put his hands in the air.

Drop the knife! Now!

[BGM: Eyes of the Dragon]

I wasn't going to make the same mistakes Dog did. I kept the gun aimed at his chest, not his head, and I kept a fair distance between the two of us. Most importantly, I readied myself to take the shot if need be. Horse, however, complied. The knife fell peacefully to the floor.

Good. Now, kick it over to me.

Sure thing.

Once again, Horse complied, using his foot to slide the knife across the floor. I reached out with my foot and pushed it even further down the hallway. So long as he didn't have the weapon he needed to kill people with, Horse was at a significant disadvantage. Far from powerless, but still.

So. Give me one reason why I shouldn't end your life right now.

That'd be difficult.

I imagine. You killed Dog.

That I did.

Why?

I'll have to kill all of you eventually.

You... You looked like you were enjoying it!

I wasn't enjoying it.

Could've fooled me.

I can tell.

Tch. So you've got nothing to say for yourself?

All I can say is this:

I didn't do this for sadistic reasons, nor personal reasons. I didn't make a poor decision. Even if you can't understand it from your position, even if it's impossible for me to...

Well, no. I shouldn't say that. Just trust that I have a greater good in mind.

The greater good? How on earth can you get the 'greater good' if you're bent on killing everyone here? That sounds like a 'greater good' to you?

And what the hell does that creepy laughter of yours have to do with a 'greater good'?

Fine, then. I see how it's going to be. You're lucky I'm not brutal enough to just shoot you to death here and now. Come on, I'm going to bring you to everyone. They'll decide how we deal with you.

You're so weak willed you lack the conviction to finish things with your own hands, to make your own decision?

Fine then. How will we move?

Walk a fair distance ahead of me, but not too far. Keep your hands up at all times. I will have this gun trained at you at all times. If you even look like you're going to make a suspicious move, I won't hesitate to open fire.

Now go, head on over to the cafeteria.

The two of us made a slow, awkward march down the hallways towards the cafeteria we started in. Every once in a while Horse looked back at me, but it didn't appear as though he was trying to make a move. Soon enough, in a hallway filled with windows showing the outside of the school, we ran into Dragon and Tiger.

Dragon was holding some sort of automatic rifle, while Tiger was just wielding a sledgehammer.

Dragon! Tiger!

Mouse, there you are! We were just coming in to look for you, act as a search party if you will.

But it seems you brought the party to us, huh? Gotta say, I'm pretty drat impressed. Didn't think you'd be able to pull one over on this mammoth.

You knew it was Horse?

Bunny saw Horse with the knife.

Guess his skills have degraded.

I just got lucky. That's all.

Man, but that's kind of lame. It looks like this game's gonna be over before I even got a chance to fight.

Looks like it. In fact, Mouse, why haven't you shot him already? He was trying to kill us all, right?

That's...

I wouldn't advise that if I were you.

Oh yeah? How come?

I might be useful.

What possible use could someone like you have?

For one, I could probably tell you who those men outside are.

Men outside...?

Horse started to look to the left, out the windows. Men outside? I thought this whole thing was set up by Brian? That was the thought that crossed my mind as I carelessly turned my head to look out the window. ...As I carelessly took my eyes off Horse.

[BGM: Metal Horse]

In an instant, his right arm lunged out, grabbing the hand I held the gun with and wrestling the weapon from me. This all happened while the two of us spun around, Horse moving in a circle to quickly put myself between him and Dragon, who was just now realizing what was happening. In the blink of an eye, Horse had one arm around my neck and the other holding a pistol aimed at Dragon and Tiger. Dragon, in retaliation, had her gun aimed squarely at Horse.

I was something of a shield, but Horse was such a massive target that I was insufficient cover.

Before this turns into a mutual slaughterhouse, I propose a quick ceasefire. It would be preferable for either only myself or only you three to die, no?

As it stands, it's likely all four of us will perish.

With that proposal delivered tersely and quickly, Horse lowered his gun's aim to the floor. Dragon hesitated, unsure, but after she locked eyes with me she slowly mirrored Horse's motions.

Tch. You bastard. What are you thinking?

Instead of answering, Horse spun the pistol he was carrying around on one finger, and from that lowered position, he still managed to get a clean shot off in Dragon's stomach before she even knew what was happening. Seeing this, Tiger rushed Horse, but he raised the gun once more and shot clean between Tiger's eyes.

Wh-

Before I could even voice my dismay, my terror, or my frustration, the air in my lungs suddenly retreated as Horse's vice grip around my throat tightened. This wasn't restraint anymore, this was murder. Why he didn't just shoot me, I didn't know.

That was a close one. I'll commend you, Mouse. Things were looking dicey for a while. But you really should've acted a bit tougher at the start. That, or risked shooting me.

Because it was very clear very early on that you didn't know what you were doing. I could've escaped sooner, but there was the whole matter of the weapons stockpile.

Killing you here and approaching the group with no leverage would've been riskier. I gambled that an opportunity might present itself if I went along with you for long enough, and that gamble paid off.

Of course, it was necessary to make sure Dragon lowered her gun before killing her. A girl with her vengeful nature and killer's instinct? In her dying moments, she likely would've squeezed that trigger tightly and let bullets shower both of us.

This way is better.

Grgh-

He kept on talking. However, whatever he said I couldn't make out. That was the point my consciousness stopped listening and just fought to stay alive. Not that fighting did any good. I'm not sure when I slipped into death. But when I did, I felt nothing.

[Ending – 8 of Clubs]

Assuming that Mouse is present in the hallway when Dog confronts Horse, she'll likely be faced with the option of intervening.

However, Horse is a truly monstrous fighter. It's easy, but fatal, to underestimate his immense power. Unless Mouse immediately flees from that situation, Horse will kill her.

The next ending is if you put the grenade trap in the wrong place.

[Set up the ambush in the cafeteria wrong.]

[BGM: Final Squeal]

Now, we can't place that in the upper left entrance, as it's far too wide. With that in mind, where do you think we should put the grenade?

The right doors.

Hm. It'll be a little trickier to wire it up there, what with the double doors.

Still, I think it should be possible, theoretically speaking.

Great. So then what do we do with the other doors?

With what we have left, I think we can cover the other entrances by placing a pair of scouts right here.

Pair of scouts?

We have a sniper rifle, and you brought back a pistol, right? We should keep the dual pistols with someone safe as a backup plan, so those are the weapons we'll use.

One member of the pair will keep an eye on the upper-right entrance with the sniper, waiting to make the shot if Horse enters through there. The other scout, the one with the pistol, can watch the first scout's back in case Horse enters through the open-air commons.

Admittedly, if he does approach from that position, there is a slight risk, but even still, if the scout with the pistol is at the ready, they should have a significant advantage. Plus, there's only a one in four chance he starts by coming through there.

The conversation plays out the same from here in regards to who the scouts actually should be, and when Mouse accepts Snake's request to join him as the second scout, their conversation plays out like before, too, even though they're standing in a different location.

[BGM: Fire Breath]

It was right as I asked that that it happened. The demon fell from above. Above! How stupid were we! We didn't even think about the fact that there was a walkway on the second floor that looked down on the commons! But I certainly didn't expect Horse to just jump that! Instantly, he snatched the sniper rifle out of Snake's hand and picked him up by the throat.

An obvious oversight. How sad.

Those were his last words before Horse stabbed him in the gut with the dagger. Snake! No, I can't freak out. This time, I wasn't backing down. I tried to fire my pistol at him, but before I could even aim at him he snatched my arm and picked me up by it.

Hee hee. I almost fell for it. ALMOST. But when I came down the right hallway, I saw that the other doors were blocked off by vending machines.

The moment I saw that, I thought to myself, 'Why aren't they protecting these doors?' Then, I realized they probably were. Sorry, but you didn't think this out well enough.

As my body dropped to the floor, all that went through my mind was 'Really? Like this?' Perhaps not my most meaningful last thought. But perhaps this wasn't my most meaningful death.

[Ending – 8 of Diamonds]

After the first few deaths, setting up an ambush will be the inevitable next step. However, if the positioning isn't properly thought out, Horse will easily get past the traps and massacre the group.

But Mouse is smarter than this, right?

If you have Mouse refuse to be the second scout, Horse kills Snake and Bunny in much the same way while Mouse mills around with the others, and they're all gunned down by the assault rifle without any real care. :v: Whoops!

The final ending is, obviously, to make a mistake when locked in the room with Horse at the end of the route. There are two different mistakes you can make- either saying the wrong thing at the start or grabbing the wrong chemical (one that doesn't react with vinegar). I think this might actually be the only ending I don't show in this LP purely because there is nothing to show- if you say the wrong thing, he just goes 'no' and crushes Mouse's windpipe immediately, game over. If you grab the wrong chemical, he puts the mask on and then stabs Mouse and she dies immediately, also game over. Therefore, I'll just skip straight to the ending card...

[Ending – 8 of Hearts]

When Mouse is facing down Horse alone, she'll be at a massive disadvantage. She'll need to catch him off guard by confronting him with the truth.

Even then, if she doesn't learn- or remember- some special trick that would catch even Horse off guard, Horse will end up killing her.

Next update, we start on a different path towards a different route!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mix. posted:

Themis also said they hoped it came across very clear that Horse is NOT split personality in any regard. His whole deal is a person who wants to do evil or give into violent tendencies internalizing the concept of “another” person that he can push all the culpability onto, and using the physical object as a crutch. It's meant to be more of a dissection of the idea of a person who was raised so strictly that they literally had to dissociate to justify doing something wrong, and how that kind of dichotomy would spiral out of control the longer it went unchecked. He's not meant to be viewed as some kind of statement on how aneurotypicals are inherently evil or whatever, it's just a coping mechanism he developed as a teenager that's gone too far.

So, in other words, an actually accurate reference to Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde! (Since the actual point of the novel is that Hyde is just Jekyll under a different appearance, but all his actions are just Jekyll's desires without the moral obligations or consequences to Jekyll. Something every adaptation missed apparently).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Funny how even the writers thought Horse's was one of the weakest routes.

Personally, my judgement of the routes we've done so far is: Monkey > Bunny > Pig > Dog > Snake > Rooster > Sheep > Horse.

The first three are fairly interchangeable, all good routes.

Dog's drags on a little, but it's still a pretty fun route and doesn't really have any gaps. Mouse also gets to be smart.

Snake and Rooster are where it starts falling a bit for me, they both require a bit of suspension of disbelief since they're convoluted murders and the ritual is just kinda silly. Snake edges out Rooster since him being very cunning fits and the Serpentine is a clever gambit.

Sheep's... not great, it feels a bit out of character. It's like they had to figure out a way for her to kill but they already went the 'this person is really not motivated at killing' route with Pig so they tried this and I don't think it landed.

Horse is kinda disappointing since I think he's actually a good character, his route is just kinda weak.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, I do get the issue with Horse being that there's not a lot of there there. Horse is kind of like a more boring Ox with much less (so far) to tie him to the Aaron Morris case. The gang history gives him some interesting ties to Dragon potentially, but since he has to completely disassociate in order to do anything even slightly naughty, I'm not sure how it would come up again.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

i am going to guess that either the man he killed is actually turbo relevant or his daughter was involved in the case somehow.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Yeah, I do get the issue with Horse being that there's not a lot of there there. Horse is kind of like a more boring Ox with much less (so far) to tie him to the Aaron Morris case. The gang history gives him some interesting ties to Dragon potentially, but since he has to completely disassociate in order to do anything even slightly naughty, I'm not sure how it would come up again.

I'd call him a more interesting Ox. They're both blunt, but horse is capable of actually having fun with it. I can't see Ox having the "grab me a soda too" conversation. He's got his subtle affection for protecting sheep as well.

Meanwhile Ox has some more ties to the greater plot, but he's very stick in the mud, likes to take charge and set the plan, but is really dry about it. Although that could just be his prosecutor voice and he might drop the facade get more interesting in his route.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I don't see that many parallels between Horse and Ox - Ox is much more of the thinking type - closer to Mouse in that regard. Ox is also not on the list of people who are good at fighting, and only really potentially beats out Sheep/Pig/Mouse/Monkey by virtue of being physically larger. Even Rooster probably has him beat.

Horse, on the other hand, is slid to the highest on the scale for physical violence, and on the lower end of the scale for puzzle solving. He's far from dumb, but his mental skill set doesn't lend itself well to this situation unless it involves combat.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
The problem with this route is less with Horse himself and more that it does little to advance any of the overarching mysteries. All we really get is that Snake would only trust certain people (presumably people he knows aren't in whatever conspiracy surrounds the trial).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZCKaiser posted:

The problem with this route is less with Horse himself and more that it does little to advance any of the overarching mysteries. All we really get is that Snake would only trust certain people (presumably people he knows aren't in whatever conspiracy surrounds the trial).

His picks are interesting though. Rooster, sure. But Pig directly reported on the trial, and Sheep was his secretary. He also didn't name Monkey, who seemed to be otherwise un-associated with any conspiracy.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Yeah, there's definitely more to it than that. The big question is what; Monkey certainly seems more deeply connected to what's going on than previously thought given her route. Not only did she disappear at the end, but the fact that so many people heeded her words makes me wonder if more than Mouse were acquainted with beforehand. Snake has to know more than he's letting on, because he's the kind of person who values logic, so there must be some reasoning behind who he'd trust at his back and who he wouldn't (even if he's not necessarily correct about who he chooses to trust; I don't think any of us would be in a hurry to have Rooster or Sheep watch our backs after their routes).

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Even with Confessions at full power, it's not possible to reach the end before personalities are revealed, right? (Not that there's a choice at the start to try and convince people to try, but it'd be part of the genre to have new options appear once you've filled out your deck of ending cards.)

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Presumably if you found every single minor trinket you probably could?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZCKaiser posted:

Yeah, there's definitely more to it than that. The big question is what; Monkey certainly seems more deeply connected to what's going on than previously thought given her route. Not only did she disappear at the end, but the fact that so many people heeded her words makes me wonder if more than Mouse were acquainted with beforehand. Snake has to know more than he's letting on, because he's the kind of person who values logic, so there must be some reasoning behind who he'd trust at his back and who he wouldn't (even if he's not necessarily correct about who he chooses to trust; I don't think any of us would be in a hurry to have Rooster or Sheep watch our backs after their routes).

We know that Monkey got to Sheep (who killed Pig), Rooster, Snake, Dragon. She also got to Pig in Pig's route. So that's at least five people, not including Mouse.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I just wanted to say thanks for all the time and effort you've put into this Let's Play! I've spent the last week or so tearing through the entire thread, and I've had a great time. Dog is probably my favourite - his inappropriately laid-back attitude is a lot of fun - but all the characters have their moments. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Mouse's 'perhaps this wasn't my most meaningful death' in the 8 of Diamonds ending is interesting; it's the first suggestion I've noticed that Mouse, or some version of Mouse, might be aware of the existence of other routes.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

We know that Monkey got to Sheep (who killed Pig), Rooster, Snake, Dragon. She also got to Pig in Pig's route. So that's at least five people, not including Mouse.

She probably got to at least Tiger as well, since I'm, uh...not sure Tiger could figure out Sheep was the first killer on her own. Horse probably not though; he doesn't seem inclined to listen to others, he pretty heavily implied he hasn't seen any kind of mental health professional, and he's perfectly capable of murder without a push.

Another minor disappointment in Horse's route: I was expecting there to a be a bit more to Horse wanting to protect Sheep other than they woke up together and maybe she reminds him of her daughter.

Edit: It's also very funny that it retroactively justifies Sheep's first kill in her route. Horse 100% uses the knife if he has it, and killing him by surprise was absolutely the right call.

ZCKaiser fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 24, 2023

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

It's time to start the next route! We're going to be going back and starting once more at the first choice that influences the route- when the group splits up at the start of Round Two, and Mouse gets to choose which group she wants to investigate with. There's actually an option here we haven't chosen yet, but now is the time to see what happens when we go explore with...

I had woken up with Ox, and I felt we had worked pretty well together so far. I didn't see any reason not to work with him.

As a matter of fact, I will work with you.

Okay then, glad to hear it.

If I may ask, why did you ask me to investigate with you?

Well, you seemed rather competent earlier on.

[BGM: Stampede of Truth]

You also seem the most... grounded of everyone else here, which is a shockingly low bar to clear.

Uh, thanks I guess?

So Mouse is going with Ox? Great. Now can we quit talking about searching and just start searching?

Yeah, let's do that. The rest of us can just split up and look around.

Oh, and everybody, remember to input your moves and reconvene here before the round ends.

Got it.

With that, we all spread out and began our search.

Ox and I made our way to the library, which wasn't far from the cafeteria.

So, Ox. Why did you want to search the library?

There were a few reasons. For one, I'd prefer not to stray too far from the cafeteria for now. For another, from what I saw of the library, it seemed a rather large room, so searching it early might be useful.

But most importantly, libraries are often symbolic of information, of learning. It's unclear how much thought the Jade Emperor has put into all of this, but it's possible that he's put something special here.

It'd be fine if that were a Trinket, but I'd be even more interested if he left us some useful information.

Wow. That's a lot of thought for just the first place to search.

I try.

Do you actually think Brian'd leave special info in the library though? Seems like a bit of a stretch.

It is indeed a stretch. But there's no harm in checking it out anyways. After all, we'll have to search everywhere eventually, no?

Indeed. I guess we should just start looking through here then, huh?

Let's.

And just like that, we began to search the library for anything out of place. Ox was right when he identified this place as a rather large room. There was even a separate room connected to the library which stored even more books. With a lot of ground to cover, we began looking through the rooms for anything out of the ordinary.

Ox was very no nonsense. He didn't speak at all. Well, that was fine with me. Even if the silence was a little creepy, it was important to focus on the search. After a while, I noticed one of the library's computers was locked. Normally, I'd write the whole thing off. But why was this one computer not shut down like the rest?

Hey Mouse, I think I've found something. Could you come look at this with me?

I'm sure whatever Ox has found is interesting, but we're going to try and unlock the computer. :eng101:

You're a prosecutor, right? Surely you can handle it yourself, I'm working on something else right now.

Suit yourself.

With that, he turned back to the book he was holding in his hands. And I turned back to this computer. Now, what could the password be? I noticed there was a button to 'give a reminder' that a lot of computers had. Maybe it could help. I clicked on it, and a rather odd message displayed:

The Date It Began

That was way too ominous to be a regular password's hint. As I suspected, this was something Brian had set up. So, what was 'it'? Presumably, he was referring to this race. So then, what was today's date? Well, the day I was kidnapped was the 24th of November... Assuming I hadn't been asleep for over a day, which would be crazy, today should be the 25th. So then, the password should be '11/25', right? Except it looked like I couldn't input a slash. So it'd just be '1125'.

But then, a thought crossed my mind. Perhaps it referred to another important date? I put my fingers on the keyboard.

This is one of the only routes that has any kind of actual obstacle that could get in the way of you getting onto it. There's a small passage that's added here in Mouse's narration that I intentionally left out for brevity's sake; it only shows up if you've already done the route you (the player) learn the date in question on, so you have a reminder if its been a while since you played that route. (And to be clear, this is information Mouse the character already has had the entire time, so its not meant to be any kind of meta knowledge or hinting at something, either- it's just information we (the player) might not have learned yet.)

As for the date in question, it was...

I input the date that Amadeus Bowen was murdered. After a second thought, that was when all of this really started. Right, Brian? As if to answer my question, the computer unlocked. Yes! Now, could I use this to contact the authorities? ...No, it looked like it was disconnected from the internet. Figures. So then, what's the deal with this computer? Why leave it here for us?

I found my answer in a folder labeled 'Reasons For Jury Duty'. I opened it and saw 12 PDFs with various names. 'Jamie Wilbert', 'Manuel Perez', 'Davis Caven'... Were these for everybody here? But wait...

Then why didn't I see my own name anywhere?

I found my answer in the name Richard Brill, a judge who passed away just over a week ago. I had just read about his passing the other day. And I bet he was the judge who ruled in the case against Brian's dad. That would make the most sense. Which means... Was it possible that I was a last minute replacement? That I wasn't supposed to be here? If that was the case, I don't know if I'd be less or even more angry.

So what was with the rest of these files? Out of curiosity, I picked one at random. Davis Caven. Opening the PDF, I saw a mix of pictures, screenshots, documents, and random text. It took a bit before I realized what this all amounted to. It appeared to be a loose collection of evidence highlighting corruption in the prosecutor's office at large, with many incidents connecting to a specific person.

Specifically, Ox. I could tell based on the picture.

So then, did this mean Ox was some sort of crooked prosecutor? Nothing in this document would be conclusive evidence, but laid out like this, it certainly made a compelling case. ...Don't be stupid. Conspiracy theories sound convincing when all the evidence is gathered up in one place. I was looking at the work of a literal madman. He couldn't be trusted, none of this could be trusted.

I turned off the computer in disgust. Nothing good would come of reading Brian's reasons for kidnapping everyone. Even if they had done things in their past they weren't proud of, that didn't make any of this right. It'd be a waste of time if I played to Brian's beat.

Hey Mouse, are you done over there? We should probably get back to the cafeteria soon.

Admittedly, Ox's voice startled me a little. I was really zoning out.

Yeah, I'm good. Did you find anything?

No, I don't think I did. A hint at most.

Ox...

Even though I was mostly dismissing Brian's conspiracy pages, I couldn't completely dismiss what I had seen. I had trusted Ox somewhat since we woke up together. To think that he had actually been involved in something a lot more shady, the thought that in some way this whole thing might be justified... This wasn't a good train of thought to follow.

Moving on, you should input your actions for this round in this room, then come join us.

Alright, I will.

With that, Ox walked out of the room. Once he was gone, I pulled out my tablet and turned it on. There was no need to think much about my choice. I just pressed the button to RUN. Afterwards, I returned to the cafeteria.

The scene upon returning is one we've already seen- everyone returns as usual, Rooster and Dog managed to find a Minor Trinket, and Ox calls attention to the fact that the results are about to display. As usual for Round Two, everyone simply uses RUN. From there, the group starts forming teams once more, and Mouse decides who she wants to explore with.

For this route, Mouse is going to pair up with Pig and Monkey, which we've already seen! :eng101: It's the section where they explore an area connected to the cafeteria with a sectioned off area for printing and filing stuff, where we solved the Kangaroo Words puzzle. Therefore, we're going to skip past that and to the Round Three results, where the group all hit RUN once more. After those results, however...

[BGM: Mousetrap]

Before Round 4 begins, I have an announcement to make.

What?

There is an additional rule I have yet to inform you all of. A quirk of the race, if you will, that you all may be interested in.

No doubt those of you who checked the information tab will have noticed you each have a 'personality' assigned. From the Rat to the Pig, each of your personalities are unique to you.

Most of you probably dismissed that, and for most of you that was the right choice. However, for two of you, this personality is an incredibly important variable.

First up, I'll talk about the CLEVER personality. The clever personality wants to finish the race in first place, just like everyone else. However, this personality type isn't content in a big ol' shared victory.

For this personality to be satisfied, no more than three animals can tie for first. If this condition isn't satisfied, the animal with this personality will be treated as if they have lost. They will be punished accordingly.

Wait, but that means-

Are you kidding? That's crazy!

No...

The other personality to take note of is the DUMB personality. Unlike the other personalities, this personality doesn't actually wish to win the race.

The animal with this personality wants to be in last place when the race finishes. If that happens, all animals except those possessing the DUMB personality and those possessing the CLEVER personality will be executed.

However, this caveat is not applicable if first place is a tie between 9 or more animals.

What a farce.

Does this guy think he's loving with us?

I apologize for not making these rules clear from the start. I fear you might think this would've been good information to have from the start. And you know? You are absolutely right.

Therefore, to make up for keeping this from you until now this round will be extended by 15 minutes. Use that time to regroup. And as always, choose wisely. Heh heh heh.

This couldn't be happening, right? There was no way! That BASTARD! There was no way that that was unintentional! He let us foster a false sense of peace. And then, when we were sure about our safety, he introduced this bullshit rule which forced our hands! Now, no matter what, at least 2 people would have to die.

But even worse... The clever personality.

I had that, didn't I.

Then that meant... the only way for me to live would involve others dying?

I thought... I thought he said that if we did everything right, everyone could escape!

It was our fault for believing that psycho for one minute.

Is he serious?

Probably.

Then people are going to have to die, aren't they?

Everybody, everybody, calm down! We can't descend into madness just like this! First off, the people with the clever and dumb personality types should just admit it now. It'd be best for everyone.

Admit it? B-but...

You moron! You seriously think they'd out themselves like that? They're not that stupid.

Right?

It's not stupid, it's noble.

Think about it people- either 11 people could die, or 2 could. Which sounds better to you?

That's-

If you confess now, we'll make sure you are honored after your death.

That's seriously your offer? Doesn't sound worth it to me.

Criticizing the offer? What, are you one of them?

Nah, no way. Trust me, if I had one of those personalities, I'd admit it. Why would I hide something like that?

Because you want to survive.

Yeah see, I'm not hearing a good reason.

This was my one chance to decide the person I wanted to be. If I really had everyone's best interests in mind, I should just admit it right now. Coming clean like that would almost guarantee my death, but... That might be for the best. Of course, I didn't want to die. Nobody wants to die! But what right did I have to put my own life over so many others? There wasn't anything that separated me from them.

No, that's not true. My mind raced back to the documents I saw on that computer. Unlike the others, I wasn't supposed to be here. I was a last-minute replacement. The others all apparently had committed grave sins. The small amount I glanced from Ox's file was enough to see what Brian was getting at.

These people were all sinners, right?

But that didn't change anything. Or did it? I had to say something quick. It wasn't an easy decision to make at all. But in the end, wasn't there only one thing I could do?

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Stay silent. Traitor Mouse route, let's go!

I don't think Dumb fits Ox, so the other traitor on this route is probably Rooster. Even though he had a route I don't think we learned his personality at the time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

There is exactly a zero percent chance we survive if we confess. Let's do this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Sybot posted:

Stay silent. Traitor Mouse route, let's go!

I don't think Dumb fits Ox, so the other traitor on this route is probably Rooster. Even though he had a route I don't think we learned his personality at the time.

I disagree. Dumb doesn't refer to Ox the prosecutor, it refers to Ox the animal. The one dumb enough to let the mouse hitch a ride on its back to let it win the race. Which is why Clever is assigned to the Rat; it used guile to make up for the physical skills it lacked.

Stay silent. I don't like that last line about everyone here being sinners. We aren't here to judge their crimes. But we know from earlier routes that people who confess wind up confined or tied up in some way. Freedom to move around gives us more options.