Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fritz the Horse posted:

im going to balkanize this thread

I mean, it's funny because in a sense, that did happen at least once before.
Most recently, the broken off section was closed once it was deemed to be inconvenient and replaced with one more restrictive and meant to only allow certain posters and trains of thought within, under threat of ban.

It's honestly a kind of microcosm of how it would play out in the real world. Numerous tweaks and new rules forced on smaller territories that just happen to frown upon the wrong sort of people being allowed to function until it becomes the echo chamber extension of the main body that the ones in power decided they actually wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
lol ok

edit: I'm slightly impressed you managed to take my shitposty response (intended to communicate the US balkanization discussion should probably wind down) and springboard into a rant about the CCCC spinoff threads. If you don't like them, don't post there.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 20, 2023

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

With the recent invention of "modular" nuclear reactors, the White House is now starting a pilot program to push the adoption of these new nuclear reactors in coal communities as a way to transition away from coal, move to lower emissions energy, and keep jobs in the community.

These pilot programs and subsidies are being funded by the several billion dollars dedicated for zero-emission energy technology in the Inflation Reduction Act.

There's still concerns that local communities could block them and the traditional problems of nuclear energy (very expensive to get set up, building new plants is often not economically viable without public assistance, long-term plans on where to store waste, consumer electricity rates for nuclear plants are generally higher than coal, etc.) could prevent their widespread adoption.

There are two demo sites in Idaho and Wyoming that are under construction and the White House's goal is to expand it to double digits. They have worked with some states to make it viable. In West Virginia, nuclear power was banned until recently, but it is now being considered for a modular nuclear site.

There's also different versions and variants for designs and cooling that are still being floated and they haven't settled on a standard for how they should work.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1627512772694081537

I really hope this comes to fruition, at least the part about resurrecting some of the old coal towns in WV and VA. :unsmith:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Youth Decay posted:

I really hope this comes to fruition, at least the part about resurrecting some of the old coal towns in WV and VA. :unsmith:

Yeah turning those areas into green energy and tourism has been a stretch goal for years. I'm really hoping modular reactors do the thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Heck wouldn't mind a couple here

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Heck wouldn't mind a couple here

me either, but apparently Illinois has a law on the books banning any new commercial nuke plants being built.

quote:

220 ILCS 5/8-406

(c) After the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1987, no construction shall commence on any new nuclear power plant to be located within this State, and no certificate of public convenience and necessity or other authorization shall be issued therefor by the Commission, until the Director of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency finds that the United States Government, through its authorized agency, has identified and approved a demonstrable technology or means for the disposal of high level nuclear waste, or until such construction has been specifically approved by a statute enacted by the General Assembly.

As used in this Section, "high level nuclear waste" means those aqueous wastes resulting from the operation of the first cycle of the solvent extraction system or equivalent and the concentrated wastes of the subsequent extraction cycles or equivalent in a facility for reprocessing irradiated reactor fuel and shall include spent fuel assemblies prior to fuel reprocessing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there even a “red state” where the popular vote margin for the republican presidential candidate is higher than ~12%? The whole idea of a red state/blue state as a discrete cultural unit is fundamentally mistaken. Go spend a week in western Massachusetts and see what you think.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is there even a “red state” where the popular vote margin for the republican presidential candidate is higher than ~12%? The whole idea of a red state/blue state as a discrete cultural unit is fundamentally mistaken. Go spend a week in western Massachusetts and see what you think.

Agreed wholeheartedly with the sentiment, but Wyoming (as one example) was 69.94% Trump, 26.55% for Biden.

Convenience sample, don't know if this is exhaustive:

Utah was 58-38
Idaho was 64-33
Montana was 57-41
Oklahoma was 65-32

etc, etc

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make, but western MA is the most left leaning part of the state.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

pencilhands posted:

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make, but western MA is the most left leaning part of the state.

By Western MA, he obviously means Northern Central MA because just lol at Northampton/the Berkshires being a bastion of right wing politics, even with Goshen/Chesterfield right there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I AM GRANDO posted:

There were like 18 states that had a higher margin than 12 in favor of trump in 2020. A few less were the same margin but for Biden.

Only 16 states had a margin less than 10 in either direction.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
A great example is Texas. People talk about seceding all the time. I always ask, "Any of the cities coming with you?" This is a red state only because they give the rural areas so much power. It'd be purple with the right district apportionment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

There were like 18 states that had a higher margin than 12 in favor of trump in 2020. A few less were the same margin but for Biden.

Only 16 states had a margin less than 10 in either direction.

Am I making a very basic error in understanding someone getting 62% of the popular vote as a having a margin of 12%? Trump was at 63% or greater in ID, ND, OK, WV, and WY, plus the NE house districts that went for him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_presidential_election#Results_by_state

Am I doing something really stupid here? It is very possible, as I am very stupid.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ostensibly it's due to an element of one of the non-proliferation/arms limitation treaties we signed with the Soviet (fuel recycling, done one way, can yield weapons-grade material, to oversimplify things immensely). In reality, it's mostly inertia, post-TMI/Chernobyl reflexive fear of ATOMS, and NIMBYism.
Have we figured out a way to do Redox/Purex reactions without generating high level radioactive chemical waste?

It might be NIMBY, but I can't really blame folks for looking at Hanford/Savannah River and deciding they don't want any part of that

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
e: Just noticed the mod note.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Edit: Since you redacted, I will too.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

CuddleCryptid posted:

People want guns because they don't trust the police which isn't going to help when we start drawing ideological lines and then have to figure out how to enforce those lines.

I'm not sure I disagree with your overall point, but this part is 1000% bullshit. Gun owners overwhelmingly love the police.

If you don't believe this, here's a study showing that just 35% of gun owners even want to redirect police funding to social services: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9722519/. The same study found 44% of the overall populace wanting the same thing.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 21, 2023

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Kalit posted:

I'm not sure I disagree with your overall point, but this part is 1000% bullshit. Gun owners overwhelmingly love the police.

If you don't believe this, here's a study showing that just 35% of gun owners even want to redirect police funding to social services: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9722519/. The same study found 44% of the overall populace wanting the same thing.

Gun owners isn't really a demographic. For the sagebrush crowd its largely a hatred of the federal government imposing rules they don't get much say in, starting with ranching and land management rules and progressing into disliking the ATF because they were generally the justification used to bust up armed domestic groups in the 80s and 90s. Most of them are pro sheriff, focusing on very local and very unaccountable legal theories.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

I AM GRANDO posted:

Am I making a very basic error in understanding someone getting 62% of the popular vote as a having a margin of 12%? Trump was at 63% or greater in ID, ND, OK, WV, and WY, plus the NE house districts that went for him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_presidential_election#Results_by_state

Am I doing something really stupid here? It is very possible, as I am very stupid.

The margin of victory is the difference between the percentages, not the amount above 50%. e.g. Trump got 62% in Alabama, Biden got 37%, so the margin is 25%. If there were only two candidates then the margin of victory would be twice the amount above 50%, but if there's other candidates it increases the margin of victory by the amount that vote for them

Soviet Space Dog fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 21, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

lol ok

edit: I'm slightly impressed you managed to take my shitposty response (intended to communicate the US balkanization discussion should probably wind down) and springboard into a rant about the CCCC spinoff threads. If you don't like them, don't post there.

Very strong all my enemies are ranting and all my allies are calmly explaining energy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jesus III posted:

A great example is Texas. People talk about seceding all the time. I always ask, "Any of the cities coming with you?" This is a red state only because they give the rural areas so much power. It'd be purple with the right district apportionment.

Most of the south is like that. If gerrymandering and (more importantly) suppression of the black vote wasn't such a huge thing, the south would be a lot more contestable.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

The red state/blue state dichotomy was a mistake. Yeah, let's define the ideological character of an entire state by how ~50.1% of their voters voted in the last presidential election. Great way to draw your battle lines.

100%

There are more Trump voters in California than Texas, more Biden voters in Texas than New York, more Trump voters in New York than Ohio, more Biden voters in Ohio than Massachusetts, more Trump voters in Massachusetts than Mississippi, and more Biden voters in Mississippi than Vermont.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/firefighters-responding-to-explosion-in-bedford

So who cursed Ohio?

Or is this just how Ohio regularly is and nobody was paying attention before.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
something something Ohio has produced the most astronauts.

I dunno, maybe we should just populate OH with just 2 + how many house reps they have need. (oh and whatever state gov. needs)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Also a genuine question for the science goons in this thread, is there any credibility to the claim that the East Palestine burn killed a lady's chickens?

Ex:
https://old.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/112hi99/woman_who_lives_10_miles_away_from_east_palestine/

Not sure if this is something the government would ever respond to, but it definitely seems like in this modern world public policy makers should respond to videos that gets a lot of views if only to maintain credibility.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

WarpedLichen posted:

but it definitely seems like in this modern world public policy makers should respond to videos that gets a lot of views if only to maintain credibility.

That's literally all they'd be able to do then. There would be no time for anything else.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The new narrative is taking shape

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1627852976839598080

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

That's literally all they'd be able to do then. There would be no time for anything else.

Is a Snopes fact check department impossible for the US government?

Though I can see a department of we only give a poo poo if you get X million views problematic.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

WarpedLichen posted:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/firefighters-responding-to-explosion-in-bedford

So who cursed Ohio?

I think it's just that Ohio is the main character this week. Maybe for a couple weeks. Disasters and poo poo happen all the time, but they're rarely news worthy to the media because it doesn't sell much ad revenue. But if one place seems like it's getting hit over and over again, that gets more clicks and sympathy tweets and the like.

It could also just be a way to avoid talking about the two mass shootings that happened today in Memphis and New Orleans? People in this country are very tired of GUN! chat, so I think the media deliberately seek out stories to tell that let them elide the ... uh ... mundane daily mass murder or two.

eta: napkin math says that today, the 50th day of this year, is also the 107th mass shooting. Lest my tone seem a bit too blithe, I think this poo poo sucks, but as a country it doesn't really even register any more.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 21, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

Also a genuine question for the science goons in this thread, is there any credibility to the claim that the East Palestine burn killed a lady's chickens?

Ex:
https://old.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/112hi99/woman_who_lives_10_miles_away_from_east_palestine/

Not sure if this is something the government would ever respond to, but it definitely seems like in this modern world public policy makers should respond to videos that gets a lot of views if only to maintain credibility.

Birds are way more sensitive to airborne chemicals than humans are. Aside from their small size, their respiratory systems are highly optimized for quickly extracting gases from the air. Stuff that would be harmless or mildly annoying to humans can cause a bird to drop dead on the spot within minutes.

It's a well-known thing with pet birds. It usually comes up with indoor birds, since common household smells like perfume or a boiled-dry pot can be dangerous to them, but outdoor birds like chickens can be badly affected by lovely air quality as well.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Most of the south is like that. If gerrymandering and (more importantly) suppression of the black vote wasn't such a huge thing, the south would be a lot more contestable.

I mean the main thing about the south is that the white people vote 90% republican specifically to deny black people representation. There would be a few more blue districts if the supreme court hadn't killed the voting rights act, but winning statewide is just a huge lift when the state is 56% white and 36% black and Republicans are the white party.

It's easy to forget because it's localized to the south and most red states outside the south are 90% white. If you just look at the overall results Idaho is much more republican than Mississippi, but if white people in Mississippi were as progressive as white people in Idaho it would be a blue state.

All the voter suppression is bad for different reasons and it can affect local elections, but Mississippi is 56% white and Trump got 57% of the vote. Repealing voter ID laws isn't enough to get around that. Georgia is a swing state because its electorate is a bit less white and the white people aren't as racist in their voting patterns (still more so than non southern states).

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 21, 2023

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

WarpedLichen posted:

Ex:

Unless she comes back with toxicology reports, I'd be more inclined to believe that it's the bird flu outbreak that's been happening since last year. They've detected it in wild birds all across the country and was one of the main reasons why egg prices spiked the way they did. I don't doubt that they could have died from being exposed to chemicals but given the misinformation and immediate polarization of the narratives surrounding what's happening, I want proof.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Soviet Space Dog posted:

The margin of victory is the difference between the percentages, not the amount above 50%. e.g. Trump got 62% in Alabama, Biden got 37%, so the margin is 25%. If there were only two candidates then the margin of victory would be twice the amount above 50%, but if there's other candidates it increases the margin of victory by the amount that vote for them

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I was using an absolute margin as an index for how large a republican majority could be imagined to be, although obviously all libertarians are reactionaries.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

WarpedLichen posted:

So who cursed Ohio?

Ohio is just being a forefront example of the consequences of deregulation but it's not unique to them, so there's going to be more

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Improbable coincidences in an infinite universe happen with great frequency, so I wouldn't read much into Ohio aside from rail safety breaking down.

It could be that God is punishing Ohio for some unspecified sin, though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Last year there were around 3 train derailments a day, which actually represents a historic low. It's just people looking for disasters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Morrow posted:

It could be that God is punishing Ohio for some unspecified sin, though.

Or their actual, well-known and numerous sins, like voting for Republicans over and over again.

I'm not saying they deserve it, I'm just saying if it's a vengeful deity loving about, there's reasons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also most of those derailments don’t cause spectacular danger because they were boxcars full of white new balance sneakers or tanks full of corn oil. Maybe if consumer goods burn, they are still carcinogenic, but they don’t burn so well that they make a giant plume visible from low-earth orbit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CuddleCryptid posted:

People want guns because they don't trust the police which isn't going to help when we start drawing ideological lines and then have to figure out how to enforce those lines.

And yes, it would be rather easy for there to be national Healthcare if you cut out all of the wealthy states to make their own society, since social nets are cheaper to maintain if you get rid of a lot of the poor people.

This all just makes me think of people who say that China could be rich and prosperous if they just acted like Singapore, ignoring all the reasons why Singapore is rich in the first place. If Kansas just adopted these social policies then they'd be able to act like California, what with being socially diverse, eco-friendly, having gigantic trade ports, and even bringing some tech firms into the big cities!

Thing is about... honestly, most mainstream Western politics is that they actively reject the whole concept of material conditions, and believe that if you have people in charge with a certain kind of politics, then the 'logical' results will simply happen. Communists will make all the food disappear and the cars turn into Yugos and the women all ugly, while Captains of Industry will make cars go faster and look cooler, money to appear in the bank accounts of the right kind of people and new gidgets and whizmos materialise to beat the commies and fix the silly little problems like climate change, and sensible reasonable liberals will gently tweak the edges of capitalism but mostly just preside with gentle smiles and grand speeches as history ends and there's no real problems ever again. If you abuse socially acceptable pariahs enough somehow a prosperous society will fall out of them. Etc etc.

One reason why it's pretty much impossible to talk about things like deregulation to most people at this point because they've been taught to ignore basic cause and effect and retreat along tribal lines, reciting the answers they've been taught to say and accusing you of being their deluded, evil enemy trying to trick them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I learned about Jimmy Carter's Law Day speech from Hunter Thompson's book The Great Shark Hunt and found this short write up and a clip with Hunter about it.

https://www.openculture.com/2012/07/hunter_s_thompson_remembers_jimmy_carters_captivating_bob_dylan_speech_1974.html

Good book btw.

Here's a better write up about it

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/aug/16/endorsement-fear-loathing-20150816/

quote:

… many of the people who feel so strongly about keeping Jimmy Carter out of the White House don’t know him at all. And a lot of the people who accuse him of lying, dissembling, waffling and being ‘hazy’ have never bothered to listen very carefully to what he says, or to try reading between the lines now when [he says] … ‘I just want to see us once again with a government that is as honest and truthful and fair and idealistic and compassionate and filled with love as are the American people.’

“The first time I heard him say that up in New Hampshire I was stunned. It sounded like he had eaten some of the acid I’ve been saving up to offer him the first time he mentions anything to me about bringing Jesus into my life … But after I’d heard him say the same thing five or six more times, it began to sound like something I’d heard long before I’d ever heard Jimmy Carter’s name…

“It took me a while to dig it out of my memory, but when it finally surfaced I recognized the words of the late great liberal Adlai Stevenson, who once lashed it all together in one small and perfect capsule when he said, ‘… in a democracy, people usually get the kind of government they deserve.’”

E

7c Nickel posted:

Last year there were around 3 train derailments a day, which actually represents a historic low. It's just people looking for disasters.

I was wondering about this and remembering "The Summer of the Shark", where news outlets suddenly went on a binge of reporting shark attacks all over the place. Except the number of shark attacks during that time were the same or even lower than any other time but, in people's heads, it becomes "man, why are there so many shark attacks all of a sudden?"

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 21, 2023