Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Hasselblad posted:

I really wish that infested mines were of use once cleared. They would make amazing basements for storage and such.

Found a dverger archeology site next to a dverger tower (both with defending dverger), and a dverger squat building with an extensive infested basement. Bugs chew through marble WAY too fast by the by.

I think the next patch the eggs (both floor and ceiling) will respawn so that there's a renewable source of royal jelly. It'll be just like the yellow mushrooms in chambers/crypts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wooo! Killed Yagluth for the first time and it was a loving pain in the rear end. Is he always tethered to his altar platform? He spawned in on it and seemed stuck there so I had to melee him on the platform.

I brought my atgeir first (I got used to it thanks to tips earlier in the thread and it is indeed awesome) which did gently caress-all and since he got stuck there, I portaled back home, made and upgraded a blackmetal sword, and came back with 2 stacks of healing potions, healthfood, fire resist, and switched to my fully upgraded padded gear and just facetanked him. It took forever and the melee was really janky on that platform.

I'd hoped to have a bit more level ground to run around so originally came with two pieces of Fenris and the padded helm and the atgeir, and then found he resists piercing damage. So yeah. gently caress him and that took way too long but probably would have been easier if he wasnt stuck on his altar. Still better than Moder though, who is just tedious even if you use spears.

So, off to the Mistlands! I've found two little dvergr ports that are really cute while sailing around and I'm not planning on building a huge base in the Mistlands, just a little outpost for portals and farming since i heard most if not all of the resources you extract from there are teleportable. Anything I should look for?

E: I also really hate the aesthetic of pretty much all the blackmetal weapons. The color isn't bad but goddamn, the iron atgeir and swords just looks so much better. The padded armor looks good though, and the helm+fenris is a nice compromise in armor, speed, and visuals.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 21, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The black metal shield in particular looks stupid as gently caress. I'm really bummed there isn't some mod to replace it with something better.

I like the black metal Atgeir, but yea otherwise the iron weapons look vastly better, in that they look like actual weapons, and not what a Victorian age person imagined medieval weapons to be.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The only Valheim boss I ever died to was the first deer God thing. It was going poorly for me because I was under prepared and so I ran back to my house thinking it would stick around It's spawn point.
I ran into my doorway and turned around just in time to see it Kool-Aid man It's way through the wall and it murdered me while leaving a perfect deer shaped hole in two walls of my home.

After that I over prepared for everything.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

The black metal shield in particular looks stupid as gently caress. I'm really bummed there isn't some mod to replace it with something better.

I like the black metal Atgeir, but yea otherwise the iron weapons look vastly better, in that they look like actual weapons, and not what a Victorian age person imagined medieval weapons to be.
Yeah when I make decorations I use iron weapons unless there is something specific (i think the flint and butcher knives together look great near the butcher block). I also think the ancient bark spear looks awesome and is sadly just not worth building at all, but it at least sits in my forge display eventually.

And the black metal shield looking as stupid as it does is the reason I decided to try out the atgeir in the first place. I'm hoping the Mistlands gear looks better.

E: it wouldn't work for the light armor sets but it might be nice for the heavy armors to be able to keep upgrading. After all, t4 of one tier is equal to t1 of the next, and if you made the costs the same (ie, to go from t4 wolf to t5 wolf would cost the same as padded 1) you could keep whatever heavy armor look you wanted without changing the gameplay at all. And in general, you'd still switch sets because having a spare is nice but if you really wanted to rock a specific helm or whatever you could.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 21, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

The only Valheim boss I ever died to was the first deer God thing. It was going poorly for me because I was under prepared and so I ran back to my house thinking it would stick around It's spawn point.
I ran into my doorway and turned around just in time to see it Kool-Aid man It's way through the wall and it murdered me while leaving a perfect deer shaped hole in two walls of my home.

After that I over prepared for everything.

Lol same. I tried him early on and got my rear end handed to me. Also, I can’t help but call him “Elk-Thor” now after misreading his name like that once.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Anyone know if pre-Mistlands saves will properly generate the Mistlands biomes? I haven't played since before the first major content patch, but that save has a lot of hours put into it, with some enormously complex builds on gorgeous locations that I would hate to give up.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kestral posted:

Anyone know if pre-Mistlands saves will properly generate the Mistlands biomes? I haven't played since before the first major content patch, but that save has a lot of hours put into it, with some enormously complex builds on gorgeous locations that I would hate to give up.

I think it generates it in biomes you have not explored yet so it depends on that

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
Mine is doing very well. I only explored a tiny patch of Mistlands before it came out, and since the update, my world generated a huge swath of properly filled Mistland areas.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kestral posted:

It should, yes, though only in the unexplored areas. Your mistlands area might be smaller as the post-update world gen gives more space to mistlands in general.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I can now confirm that previously explored Mistlands areas - of which I had a lot, unfortunately - don't spawn properly. However! There's a mod called Upgrade World which includes tools by which you can fix this:

Upgrade World posted:

• mistlands: Fully regenerates mistlands biomes. Terrain is automatically updated by the base game and not affected by this operation.
• mistlands_worldgen: Upgrades biome distribution to the Mistlands version. Biomes will change in the outer areas. Areas past 5900 meters will be reseted. Rivers will move everywhere in the world and can destroy bases (even with the player base protection).

Fingers crossed!

Speaking of mods, I am going hog-wild downloading them right now, since the modding ecosystem was in its infancy when I last played. I remember ValheimPlus being a whole big thing, but it seems like it's no longer being updated. Do we have opinions on the piecemeal mods that are attempting to replace it?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/jsmars/status/1628062414536167425

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Kestral posted:

I can now confirm that previously explored Mistlands areas - of which I had a lot, unfortunately - don't spawn properly. However! There's a mod called Upgrade World which includes tools by which you can fix this:

Fingers crossed!

Speaking of mods, I am going hog-wild downloading them right now, since the modding ecosystem was in its infancy when I last played. I remember ValheimPlus being a whole big thing, but it seems like it's no longer being updated. Do we have opinions on the piecemeal mods that are attempting to replace it?

Eh? Where does it say Valheim Plus isn’t being updated?

Upgrade World is great; I used it to add frost caves to my mountains.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Myok posted:

Eh? Where does it say Valheim Plus isn’t being updated?

Upgrade World is great; I used it to add frost caves to my mountains.

Commentary in the Nexus page is that it hasn't been updated since December, isn't fully updated for Mistlands, the project's site is down, and there's no communication from the mod maker. It might not be actually abandoned, but people are starting to treat it like it's abandoned, and other modmakers - particularly the Odin folks - are moving in to devour the corpse by releasing mods that replicate or exceed V+'s functions, but piecemeal instead of one comprehensive mod. I hope the V+ dev comes back, because competition is always good, and a one-stop-shop "make Valheim better" implementation is definitely better for a lot of people.

Unrelated modding funfact: turns out that one of the big Rimworld modders, the person doing RPG Style Inventory / RimWorld of Magic / Rimwar is also a Valheim modder attempting to create a full class system. Gods bless modder-brain, it gives us such delightful toys.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well poo poo, and here I was about to look into getting V+ installed finally. Anyone able to recommend a server side mod that will let Sconces and such burn forever without consuming resin?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Well poo poo, and here I was about to look into getting V+ installed finally. Anyone able to recommend a server side mod that will let Sconces and such burn forever without consuming resin?

I haven't tried them yet but a lot of the bigger mods that aren't compatible link here for a list of smaller mods to replace some of V+ features.

E: I'm still using V+ without issues.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 23, 2023

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
A troll wiped out my two star boar farm. I'll be crying tears of sadness as I eat the sausages I've turned them into.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This next patch is looking to be drat close to hearth and home for quality of life upgrades. Manual snapping by itself a revolution

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Does killing the queen trigger the seekers spawning at night thing, or is it hanging her trophy that does that?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Does killing the queen trigger the seekers spawning at night thing, or is it hanging her trophy that does that?

I think all of those things are triggered by the kill, not the item. In theory you could progress in two worlds and only kill the bosses in one of them while hanging the trophy in the other and the second world would still be sending you the Eikthyr event. I think.

Either way, Mistlands is both fun as hell and a pain in the rear end to find things. I've finally scraped together enough cores to build a refinery and one item bench, and now I'm just looking for more brains to shove into the refinery. (I cheated myself one extractor because I didn't want to kill any of my buddies and they weren't dying to mobs enough).

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 24, 2023

Kayvall
Jan 15, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

This is the mod I use. Not sure about the server side stuff cuz I play solo.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/1878?tab=description

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

When is the new patch supposed to drop? My party burned out because I was working them too hard logging and mining but I think they’re ready for some more lol. We’ve been playing AOE2 instead

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm waiting for the new patch specifically because of manual snapping.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

When is the new patch supposed to drop? My party burned out because I was working them too hard logging and mining but I think they’re ready for some more lol. We’ve been playing AOE2 instead

No date yet, they are still implementing adding more QoL stuff every week, most recently auto stack/sort to containers

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The galdr table is just begging to be usable outside. I'm building a black marble tower thing to put it in but it looks like it should be in a black forest/swamp clearing or something. I love it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ravenfood posted:

I've finally scraped together enough cores to build a refinery and one item bench, and now I'm just looking for more brains to shove into the refinery. (I cheated myself one extractor because I didn't want to kill any of my buddies and they weren't dying to mobs enough).

I have 2 dverger towers, 1 dvergr archeology site, and a squat dverger building with infested (cleared) mine beneath it, all within spitting distance. The latter is what I am expanding on as a base, one of the towers will be for mistland crafting, the other for cooking, Dunno what I will convert the arch site into. Has a dvergr fence around it so was thinking farm for shrooms, but gjall are often spawning here.

What's nice is that I've destroyed the wards so that I can fix up their dwellings and build there, and they are great little guys for defense. The archeology site is the only one without defenders. as gjall wiped them out. It is a pain in the butt to convert the tower upper floor into black marble. Needs to be to be considered "roof", but I cannot seem to remove the dverger wooden flooring so I am carefully snapping marble floor through the gaps in the wood from below.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 25, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, I found an infested mine and might build on top of it. Honestly dont need much; just a jotun puff farm and easy access to sap.

At some point I'll probably build a more elaborate tower or smaller base for fun because the marble does look a bit out of place in my existing plains village, but it still works and I would like to work around the Mistlands architecture and terrain.

E: on that note I do like that it seems like all of the hearth and home and mistlands build pieces have been designed with a lot of snap pieces to make it easier to sink the pieces into each other or otherwise combine them.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Oh my god, mistlands finally realized I was in their personal space and absolutely WALLOPED me this afternoon.

I had just finished clearing a distant infested mine and teleported back to my mistland base. Stepped out the door and heard the neighborhood dvergrs battling bugs, so I ran over to help out and scoop up the bug flesh. 2 star soldier roflstomped all 4 of them, and came trotting after me. I went to retreat to my base only to have a starred gjall hovering right above it. Lured it to the dvergr tower with the soldier nipping my heels, the soldier followed me into the tower and both it and a swarm of dropped ticks ended me. Respawned in my base, and a tick was waiting for me. 1-shot.

Long story short, I retreated to my other seed, geared up, logged back over, and ran from my base to another neighborhood (populated) dvergr tower. The soldier did not follow me that far but I could just see the gjall from my vantage point, repeatedly loving up my base.

This is going to be a horrendous cleanup.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
A couple of screw-ups for me, too. Last night, I ganked by a 1-star Seeker on my longboat without a nearby base and had to sail back up from home in a karve (and bring new nails and sails for the longboat; thank you, game, for not having any way to recover stuff like that). And then today, I thought I’d open a crate in the middle of a crowded archaeological site, and I really should’ve anticipated the dwarves turning on me after that.

Oh, and as I was writing this I got attacked by a pufferfish. Almost died, too, because I had no idea what was happening.

Anyway, sailing home with my first extractors, and I turned that dig into a pretty nice base. Feel bad about killing the dwervr, though.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 26, 2023

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Do Extractors summon/agg Seekers, or is that just my imagination?

It seems like anyplace my group drops an extractor is almost immediately swarmed with bugs.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

It seems like anyplace my group drops an extractor is almost immediately swarmed with bugs.

Not that I'd noticed. Bugs do seem to spawn on the low-lying areas where the roots would be.

Learned something new today:
In game the spelling is Dvergr
When devcommand spawning them it is Dverger

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 26, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Not that I've seen, but so far my only extractor is right on the border of the plains and I'm only there to harvest the sap and run.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Nah that's just the mistlands doing its thing. Its not the extractor, its just that you're sitting in one place for any length of time.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

rjmccall posted:

Oh, and as I was writing this I got attacked by a pufferfish. Almost died, too, because I had no idea what was happening.

The first time I sailed into the mistlands a pufferfish wedged itself under my seat and I kept taking poison damage. I thought that was something to do with the mist itself before I realized what happened.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
So, I’ve been in the Mistlands for a few weeks. Sailed past a few broken rocks to a plausible island, built a stone house, started exploring. Turned out to not be so big after all: dvergr tower, ancient armaments, petrified ribcage, that’s it. That’s fine, I just swam to the next. Climb, swim, jump, fight. Cleared out an infested mine. Eventually I’d explored the whole archipelago. I figured, alright, that zone was small and must not have had everything, let’s try again.

So I sailed south to another patch of Mistlands. Same thing, archipelago, lots of jumping and swimming. This one had some slices of forest/plains across it, and it was clear to see: the game had generated a long, thin landmass, and wherever it was Mistlands, it broke that landmass up into a bunch of small, rocky islands. So I figured, that’s cool, that’s just how the biome is. Climb, swim, jump, fight. “Found” an abandoned dig, cleared out another mine. Still obviously missing something. For one, I’d built the new forge, but all it had was a few specialty weapons (and crossbow bolts). I’d even made the two-handed sword, and it had upgrades I couldn’t reach. I had a few sap extractors, but I couldn’t find anything to extract from. And I’d completely explored my second broken archipelago. On to the next?

Anyway, I sailed north from that zone and immediately discovered that continental Mistlands is a thing that does actually exist. I’m guessing the generator just wants to put broken islands around the edges, and if the zone is narrow, that’s all there ends up being. Kindof a pain! But I’ve found a whole lot of roots to tap, so I think I’m finally about to make some real progress.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who willingly puts their boat anywhere near a mistland biome is a braver person than me.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Eifert Posting posted:

Anyone who willingly puts their boat anywhere near a mistland biome is a braver person than me.

I... I literally just left my precious longship in a Mistlands cove while I begin my first serious expedition into the interior :ohdear: Should I turn back and move it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

When you're first exploring the area or even trying to settle it makes sense. Plus I actually really like dipping into the archipelago areas and exploring there. It's fun sailing and seeing the non-misty mistlands is quite pretty.

Kestral posted:

I... I literally just left my precious longship in a Mistlands cove while I begin my first serious expedition into the interior :ohdear: Should I turn back and move it?
I've been sailing around without much difficulty, but boats are always, always safer disassembled. If you do leave it out I'd have materials for a backup at least.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I didn’t realize I had a choice, really. Earlier experiences have left me pretty gunshy about just sailing around the edge of new biomes, and all the instances of it that I found initially were not attached to other continents.

It actually hasn’t been a huge problem, the game doesn’t seem to spawn stuff when you’re not around.