Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hadlock posted:

How many leaves do you think a kid shreds before they start 1st grade

How many stars are in the night sky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with tongue ties? i took my son (turns 3 in april) to the dentist last week and she said that he had a tongue tie and recommended some 800 dollar laser surgery to correct it. there are a few things that make me feel skeptical about this.

his pediatrician has never said anything about it (although i can't really remember if she has taken all that close of a look at his tongue...), this is not his first dentist appointment and other dentists have not said anything about it, and he saw a speech therapist last year for several months and she didn't notice anything either. looking at symptoms and signs, he certainly never had any problem breastfeeding, his oral hygiene is great according to the dentist (which made me feel good because i am the one who brushes his teeth lol), and while his pronunciation isn't perfect by any means he seems to be doing okay? he can certainly make t, d, s, and z sounds which are supposedly something a tongue tie can interfere with.

anyway. i know dentistry is among the scammiest of medical arts so my first impulse is to be skeptical of this. i am thinking of just waiting until his 3 year checkup and asking the pediatrician about it.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Talk to your pediatrician.

Also lol they want to do it with a laser for 800... They can just numb and snip it. Get a second opinion then get a new dentist.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wanted to post this here too, I have to vent a bit and say that it really sucks how much organized kids activities can vary in quality and depend on the other kids involved.

We've been doing "music together" classes. very much not my comfort zone or Thing but that's part of the reason to take him to experience new stuff. The first set of classes was good, and he went from "what the gently caress is this?" to trying to sing and getting excited when he heard the start of certain songs. The second set was fantastic. there was considerably better song selection and Mini Pony started dancing some as well as improvising variations on the songs at home. There was a rather annoying kid who tried to get up to stuff on occasion, but the class was fairly small and the parents kept him in check so it worked well.

This third set of sessions is so bad we are dropping it midway through, gently caress the money we paid. The songs suck rear end with only one being anything like an earworm and the class is full so there's less room.

But most of all That Kid is back and has graduated from being annoying to being a full blown rear end in a top hat kid. any time another kid is doing anything but sitting with their parents That Kid runs up to them and stays inches away from their face actively blocking them from continuing to do what they were doing. Not only does That Kid sprint to turn off all the lights for a quiet song instead of taking turns, in the rare case that he doesn't make it first he will undo another kid's actions by turning the lights on for a few seconds then turning it off again while grinning at the kid. If an instrument gets accidentally dropped by another kid you'd better believe That Kid will be there to grab it and run off. His parents now might come along 10 seconds after he does whatever but at that point the damage is done.

This last time That Kid elbowed his way in front of the window that Mini Pony was looking at (only to turn and grin at Mini Pony instead of looking out the window) and when Mini Pony kinda started to dance later in the class That Kid sprinted up to Mini Pony holding the foam baffle out from a drum and (lightly) smacked Mini Pony in the arm with it while preventing the dancing by standing inches away. Mini Pony has gone from singing and dancing at midway through the class to getting into one of the 2'x2' storage cubbies along the back wall and shaking his head when we ask if he would like to dance or sing (playing the instruments is still a win).

Sorry Huxton, you are A Fucker right now. I really hope you parents wise up to the reason they only ever find out about a play date after it happens and reconsider their parenting strategy of letting you notionally be a complete jerk to other kids for fun.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Wife is going to be gone this entire week for work. I've tried to plan for special events for kiddo (8) from special bedtime to buying a new switch game solely for us to have special time while wife is gone. Meals are planned, I'm good on prep, now to see how things go! Hopefully bedtime isn't rough.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Shifty Pony posted:

I wanted to post this here too, I have to vent a bit and say that it really sucks how much organized kids activities can vary in quality and depend on the other kids involved.

I hate going to classes / activities and finding out that there is a "that kid" involved. loving worst pieces of poo poo, and the only thing you can really do is teach your kid to try to be more assertive and stand up for themselves while hoping "that parent" is not completely heads down in their Facebook scrolling to recognize they have a poo poo kid.

I don't have an answer other than, jerks are in the world, and kids have to learn to deal with that.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

So kids can pretty much sense when you have a day off and make sure to develop enough symptoms to keep them out of day care, huh.

But the future refused to change.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

killer crane posted:

Talk to your pediatrician.

Also lol they want to do it with a laser for 800... They can just numb and snip it. Get a second opinion then get a new dentist.

Yeah talk to your pediatrician—my son had a tongue tie and the pediatrician did a quick numb & snip when he was a few weeks old. Don’t know about doing it at 3 but I can’t imagine needing expensive laser surgery for it.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Shifty Pony posted:

Sorry Huxton, you are A Fucker right now. I really hope you parents wise up to the reason they only ever find out about a play date after it happens and reconsider their parenting strategy of letting you notionally be a complete jerk to other kids for fun.

I’ve never heard this name before and I apologize in advance for insulting anyone in this thread’s choice in names, but I feel like it is a name that greatly increases the odds of That Kid Syndrome in your kid.

X’s in kids names in general seem like a tough sell unless you’re going with old awesome Greek (Alexander, Xenophon, Xena) or Mexican (Xochitl, Xolani) names. If you take a normal name and think “this X would make it super spicy and dangerous” I don’t think your kid Jaxley or Brixxany is going to appreciate it.

If your kids do have cool X names no need to doxx them, I believe you, just makes me think of the Taylee/Navie/Lakynn mom more often than not.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah talk to your pediatrician—my son had a tongue tie and the pediatrician did a quick numb & snip when he was a few weeks old. Don’t know about doing it at 3 but I can’t imagine needing expensive laser surgery for it.

My son has a tongue tie but it didn't affect nursing or his speech development at all so nobody cared and we've done nothing about it.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

sheri posted:

My son has a tongue tie but it didn't affect nursing or his speech development at all so nobody cared and we've done nothing about it.

My son had a tongue tie and it really affected his ability to breastfeed, but by the time we could get an appointment for anyone to do anything about it he had completely lost the ability to do so. Oh well.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I had* a tongue tie myself. One of my mom’s most vivid memories is carrying me, a 3 mo, from the snipping procedure appointment as I cried, bloodied.

*It healed back and I still have it. I can’t pronounce rolling Rs, which is a speech impediment in my native tongue

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My son had a tongue tie and it really affected his ability to breastfeed, but by the time we could get an appointment for anyone to do anything about it he had completely lost the ability to do so. Oh well.

Yeah this was the case with our son; he couldn’t breastfeed at all until he got his tongue tie snipped. It was rough watching him try so hard and get nothing. :(

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I had a tongue tie until I was 23 (cut during an unrelated procedure). It was never an issue. Ask your pediatrician about it. While it certainly can present problems, it isn’t necessarily something that has an effect.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone have recommendations on what to do about a kid during potty training that won’t sit on the potty? Like we don’t think she’s scared of it, but we try to put her on and screams and cry’s and does a contortionist act so we can’t get her to actually sit on it. My wife today tried to show her it was ok using stuffed animals and letting her pour water into it and stuff but she just does not want to sit.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Have the potty in the bathroom, sit on the big toilet yourself, and invite them to sit on the little toilet while you do your business.

Your kid might also not be ready yet. Just have the toilet there, and also talk A LOT about how that potty is the coolest loving thing ever. Incorporate it into play. Normalize it, and they'll warm up to it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

i took my son (turns 3 in april) to the dentist last week and she said that he had a tongue tie and recommended some 800 dollar laser surgery to correct it. there are a few things that make me feel skeptical about this.
As a rule I don't let dentists touch anything other than teeth and even then, sparingly.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

An exciting toy that only gets to be played with while the butt is on the potty worked for us.

We used play doh. He went from popping off immediately to wanting to sit for an hour.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
We used Peppa pig, and then had to stop Peppa pig and switch to books when she started taking a potty break every twenty minutes.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nap atmosphere and soft music to calm things down. I have this piano track about frogs and lily pads that have water sounds behind it. Whatever you want, just mk ultra condition your baby with something consistent . Vamp and improvise for time for the rest. My sessions are usually 10 minutes, still only got 7 confirmed potties after doing months of this

As far as your toddler struggle, I just kinda kept my guy on the potty physically, yaknow just kinda countering the contortions and there was only enough energy for him to wrestle for 10 minutes back when he used to wrestle sthen we'd do 5 of pleasant potty sitting time. So he doesnt like freak out about it anymore. So have faith this could be temporary. Its starting to get convenient enough to take him potty practice any time I gotta pee.

Regardless, It's gonna be a long process.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 21, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter keeps periodically taking out all the Valentines she got at school and looking them over saying how nice they and how nice everyone was for giving them to her

I am dying,

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would like to give a big shoutout to my son for getting sick AFTER a us federal holiday, rather than, on one.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

i would like to give a big shoutout to my son for getting sick AFTER a us federal holiday, rather than, on one.

No one likes a braggart.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Crescent Wrench posted:

No one likes a braggart.

he got sick the weeks of thanksgiving and christmas lol, i deserved this!!!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter keeps periodically taking out all the Valentines she got at school and looking them over saying how nice they and how nice everyone was for giving them to her

I am dying,

:kimchi: that’s very sweet

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So we've been struggling with poop on the potty. He's 4 now but has been withholding since 18 months. We decided to rip the band-aid off, no more pull ups, and if he needs to poop then we sit on the potty for however long we need. He knows when he needs to poop, he just tries to not do it. It's been 3 weeks of this with mixed success.

Whenever we're trying to poop, he sits on the potty and yells I CANT DO IT. I always respond with, yes you can! You can do anything! You can do this!

That's not what this post is about though. This post is about I have pink eye, and how I'm a colossal baby when it comes to anything coming near my eyes.

My kid saw me standing here, staring at my eye drops, summoning the courage to put them in. He comes up behind me and starts shouting, YOU CAN DO THIS DADDY! YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! I feel so attacked. I've been unintentionally owned by a 4 year old.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Renegret posted:

So we've been struggling with poop on the potty. He's 4 now but has been withholding since 18 months. We decided to rip the band-aid off, no more pull ups, and if he needs to poop then we sit on the potty for however long we need. He knows when he needs to poop, he just tries to not do it. It's been 3 weeks of this with mixed success.

Whenever we're trying to poop, he sits on the potty and yells I CANT DO IT. I always respond with, yes you can! You can do anything! You can do this!

That's not what this post is about though. This post is about I have pink eye, and how I'm a colossal baby when it comes to anything coming near my eyes.

My kid saw me standing here, staring at my eye drops, summoning the courage to put them in. He comes up behind me and starts shouting, YOU CAN DO THIS DADDY! YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! I feel so attacked. I've been unintentionally owned by a 4 year old.
Lol

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
The child has discovered “motherfucker.”

He’s also still on his “I love you! I’m gonna smack you in da FACE” thing.

Time to see how my partner’s “I don’t shelter him from profanity, because I’ll teach him the importance of context!” plan works out 😅

Also we took him to the state fair where he saw pregnant cows and kept telling us the cows were gonna “spit out the babies.” Obviously another conversation that has not happened 😂

Love this kid, though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

Hell yeah!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CherryCola posted:

The child has discovered “motherfucker.”

He’s also still on his “I love you! I’m gonna smack you in da FACE” thing.

Time to see how my partner’s “I don’t shelter him from profanity, because I’ll teach him the importance of context!” plan works out 😅

Also we took him to the state fair where he saw pregnant cows and kept telling us the cows were gonna “spit out the babies.” Obviously another conversation that has not happened 😂

Love this kid, though.

Ha. Mine learned how to spell vagina correctly very early on and proceeded to input this into the label maker. so we had vagina mirrors, tons of vagina cabinets, vagina refrigerator etc etc. vagina everywhere!

She also referred to me and my sis in law's boyfriend (who shares the same first name as me), going "two" (name), "two penises!" back when she was maybe 3? Pre-labelmaker.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter handed me a slip of paper and said "this is a bad word" and when opened it said COK

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tiny shitposters and empty quoters

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My dad loves to tell a story about how when I was little I came up to him all secretive and told him I know what the "f word" is! It's...fart!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I remember being 5 and begging people to reveal the f word to me and I was disappointed to find out it was a word I already knew :sigh:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Renegret posted:

My four year old started playing video games last year. When he dies I say: "it's ok! Try again! You can do it" so now if I'm playing a game, die, and grunt in frustration, he's all like: "dada it's ok just try again! You can do it!"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Renegret posted:

When I was in 2nd grade I thought if I just held it in long enough I would never poop and my body would learn how to remove all waste from peeing.

Kids are dumb

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GoutPatrol posted:

Kids are dumb

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Renegret posted:

I feel so attacked. I've been unintentionally owned by a 4 year old.

Strong thread title contender vibes

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Ha. Mine learned how to spell vagina correctly very early on and proceeded to input this into the label maker. so we had vagina mirrors, tons of vagina cabinets, vagina refrigerator etc etc. vagina everywhere!

Oh my god this is the best story ever, I am cracking up!

Re: swear words: my daughter bellowed “JESUS CHRIST” the other day and I couldn’t stop laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter is overnight at Nana's for the first time and I feel SO weird