Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Payndz posted:

Now wondering if I'm the only person in this thread old enough to get the 'Etaoin Shrdlu' joke.

I wondered if I should call it out, but I figured anyone who's played Hangman or Wordle would get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for February 17, 1927, and we might as well start with another Fred G Cooper word blizzard epic.

Two from Herb Roth:

Marge:

MB Walker only associates with the highest quality of degenerates.

Two from Frank Hanley, including an idea that didn't catch on...yet.

And speaking of innovations, the part of the magazine where they hide all the words includes this capsule review of a new novelty book.

Just in case you thought those "cross-word" puzzles were the limit, it's a book full of quizzes. Quizzes of trivia. The things people pay good money for in 1927... :rolleyes:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Selachian posted:

I wondered if I should call it out, but I figured anyone who's played Hangman or Wordle would get it.

Humanity peaked with the Linotype machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGjFKs9bnU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 20, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 19, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

How do you pick names for characters? I read that article on the comic that translated the title as Scary Alien Baseball Team and I really like your translation of Demons of Baseball to capture the 'scary intense outsider baseball players' feel, it's a lot less literal but I feel hits the described mood of the Korean title better. And clearly you're picking more western given names while keeping family names of characters, but I'm wondering if part of that is to capture connotations of names? Like, Planck is a reference to Planck's constant, right? How did you pick that name? Does Two Guns use a nickname in Korean, too? I know you made Maggie and May match because they're sisters, but does Copper have a metallic name in Korean, is Hardy's name a reference to him being tough? Sorry, I'm just really curious! I'm really really enjoying The Demons of Baseball and I've been sharing it with a friend off-forum that loves it, too.

Since I'm curious about the same, quoting this for the next page. Before reading the article, I just kind of assumed the comic's author had chosen most of the western-type names because they sounded exotic.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/19/03

Brenda Starr 6/11/50

Smokey Stover 1/18/53

Everyday Movies 2/16/36

"On account of Moe's wedding last night I got an awful hangover today. I wish they'd made it Saturday night so this would be Sunday."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/25-27/40

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Scarlet is making already beat-up players convinced they have serious head injuries.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Crossposting from the meme thread:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 13, 1955)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Comics Kingdom is giving me the "you've reached your maximum limit of comics" even in a new browser and even after clearing my cookies, so no Curtis for a while I guess.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

Comics Kingdom is giving me the "you've reached your maximum limit of comics" even in a new browser and even after clearing my cookies, so no Curtis for a while I guess.

If you right click the image in the "Buy A Print!" option, and open it in a new tab, you can get the comic.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

because he doesn’t understand that all of space isn’t a vacuum

https://twitter.com/nasaexoplanets/status/1561442514078314496?s=61&t=TcvrpaMFQGl7tkbwxDLORQ

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Pancho Jueves posted:

Crossposting from the meme thread:

Oh, hey, I did that first one here a few years ago. Saw it posted on twitter once or twice too. Neat.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 2, 1935)

Peanuts (February 23, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 7, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 21, 1939)

Out Our Way (February 13-15, 1941)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"I'll have you know I wasn't spying on the yoga studio for you it's just what I do."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Anderson must have wanted a well-deserved day off.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Didn't Want To Post Yesterday So Here's What You Missed: loving Nothing and Kevin Thinking That Failing To Win A Contest Will Automatically Lead To A Crushed Spirit and Dereliction of a Hobby

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Spud knows what's up.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

MarxCarl posted:

If you right click the image in the "Buy A Print!" option, and open it in a new tab, you can get the comic.

I think this is a trick for Gocomics, not ComicsKingdom. The CK "Buy Prints" option links to a mailto link, for some reason.

Anyway, it's all too much work to go through for Curtis.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

I think this is a trick for Gocomics, not ComicsKingdom. The CK "Buy Prints" option links to a mailto link, for some reason.

Anyway, it's all too much work to go through for Curtis.

You can also just go to Arcamax when CK isn't cooperating. That's where I got Rhymes with Orange this morning.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Notable because I laughed. Usually it's a hate read.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Popcom

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU
CW: suicide

Fingerpori

Snufkin from the Moomins has "snuff" in his name in at least Finnish, Swedish & English. That's the joke.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Notable because I laughed. Usually it's a hate read.

Once in a very rare occasion, Dustin will have a legitimately funny gag.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrxAy0MLxps

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Let's be serious, the only thing stopping Snufkin from dealing drugs is the fact that he hates money.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/12/50

Archie 8/1-3/46

Tobacco Road was a popular novel about poor, filthy, degenerate Southern farmers that became a general synonym for rural poverty.

Between this and Scarlet, the Forties were apparently rotten with millionaires falling out of boats.

A millionaire with his own private "boys' paradise." :hmmyes:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Lucky dog indeed.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

No Sunday crabgrass because GoComics left the line art layer off.

Old School Peanuts (Mar 5-6, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 25-26, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 21, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ugh this Crabgrass thing is just dumb now. It feels like a Holbrook poo poo.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ugh this Crabgrass thing is just dumb now. It feels like a Holbrook poo poo.

I’m like 99% sure this arc is a prolonged dream sequence, so unlike Holbrook stuff we won’t be sitting with the long term consequences of this forever.

But yeah, I’ve been ready to move on for over a week now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm starting to get the feeling that the pressures of syndication kills interesting comics.