Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SoR Blaze posted:

Have a code for DooM2, if anyone somehow doesn't already have it. Got it in the fanatical bundle as a mystery game. If you enjoy a good FPS, this is my all time favorite and an absolute classic of the genre that has aged extremely well. Play it in gzdoom for proper mouse look and get ready to have a never-ending stream of great levels created by the community for nearly 30 years.

If you've never played it with the doomrl arsenal mod, that's highly recommended as is the zeta-dimensional shopping system for persistent credits and unlocks across different wads. I cannot recommend this enough if you've never done it, and have plenty of other mod suggestions if you're interested(not just Brutal DooM because I'm not a basic bitch)

Key below:

QBCF4-T7RGX-V3XLY

snagged thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

victrix posted:

it's a very good action game, bullet hell is reductive because it implies it has an impossible barrier to entry, or that it's constantly stressing you with impossible challenges, neither are true

Yeah, I think this nails what I was trying to say. It's, uh, "bullet hell" as an aesthetic, I guess?

The actual gameplay is in no way overwhelming and stressful, which are the primary characteristics that I associate with those games. It's obviously not a cover shooter, but the minute-to-minute gameplay is just like any other relatively fast-paced 3rd person action game.

Anyway it's good. I might vaguely agree with the takes that it's kind of expensive at full price for what it is, but it's good enough to be worth the money even if you don't get infinity gameplay hours out of it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of bullet hell games and I like Returnal a lot. I've played it on PS5 and now PC and I would say that using a keyboard and mouse takes the difficulty down quite a bit, which might also be a point in its favor depending on what it is that you dislike about bullet hell games.

Hmmm, I love the game, but I suck at it on ps5. I wonder if getting on PC would be worth it. Did you notice any quality differences between the 2 platforms? May I also ask what gpu/cpu you have?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
embrace your inner anime and call it a "bullet curtain" game instead
that's what the genre is called in magical nippon and it's a lot friendlier

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some demos that are easy recs for this mystery fest:

Norco
The Case of the Golden Idol
The Darkest Files (upcoming release)
Who's Lila
Tangle Tower
Later Alligator
Gamedec
Loco Motive (upcoming release)
Lucy Dreaming
The Silver Case (yea for some reason they have demos of older adventure games in this fest?? like there's Nancy Drew demos lol)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kragger99 posted:

Hmmm, I love the game, but I suck at it on ps5. I wonder if getting on PC would be worth it. Did you notice any quality differences between the 2 platforms? May I also ask what gpu/cpu you have?

Looks better to me on PC, but I wouldn't say it's a mind-blowing difference or anything. I've got an i9 9900k/3080ti and it runs consistently above 100fps on 3440x1440 with everything cranked up.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thanks for the answers! I'll keep an eye out for a sale, but sounds like it might be good for me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

any thoughts on how Asterigos turned out? I remember seeing it last year but never heard about it after it came out. I'm extremely sus of anything that calls itself a soulslike these days as most of the ones I tried landed somewhere between mediocre and terrible (lords of the fallen, the surge, mortal shell etc) but a few comments said this doesn't really play like one so I'm giving it another look.

It's one of my all-time favorites but it's absolutely not for everyone. The Souls influence is pretty clear but it's a lot easier than most of the other games in that genre and that puts it in kind of a weird middle ground between games that have a simple combat system and those that require a high degree of technique and precision. It's also a big game with a lot of words, and it's easy to miss things that are buried deep in a conversational menu. The worldbuilding is great, though, and the major characters are very well-developed.

e: Also, if you want to get the best ending, be prepared to either play through a few times or use a guide. Some of the requirements are pretty drat obtuse.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 21, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
eh nvm

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sab669 posted:

I think you're on to something here; a lot of that could be said about Ziggurat which was my most-played of the genre by a significant factor. I usually don't like 2D bullet hells, but in a 3D space where you're running and jumping and bopping around, it feels very different. Like I said the core gameplay did feel good, I just wish it were a "normal RPG" where I find all those guns and pick and choose how to upgrade things accordingly. I want permanence drat it :(

It vaguely reminds me of Unreal or Titanfall or Tribes [just with all the things that make this not simply an arena shooter, obviously] which I love the movement systems of.

Yeah I can see that. I think it might have been a better game if it were more of a straightforward rpg, frankly. Assuming they could make they happen.

But, that would multiply the work required by a decent amount. In a sense rogue type games are made to keep the work creating the game down but the overall impact and enjoyment time up. And allow minutes polishing of the actual gameplay.

What I do like about it is that the story is entirely based around that structure. To the point that nothing about the game would make sense without it. And the story is dark indeed, which I like

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

It's one of my all-time favorites but it's absolutely not for everyone. The Souls influence is pretty clear but it's a lot easier than most of the other games in that genre and that puts it in kind of a weird middle ground between games that have a simple combat system and those that require a high degree of technique and precision. It's also a big game with a lot of words, and it's easy to miss things that are buried deep in a conversational menu. The worldbuilding is great, though, and the major characters are very well-developed.

e: Also, if you want to get the best ending, be prepared to either play through a few times or use a guide. Some of the requirements are pretty drat obtuse.

cool, I'll add it to the list and it looks like it has a content DLC coming out in a couple days so that might get it some more attention.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Atomic Heart

You might notice the subtitles in that screenshot above are a little... small. They actually are even smaller for real-time NPC dialogue, like impossible to read.

If all you've seen is random trailer footage of the game, you might be wondering what the hell this game is actually about, besides being yet another culture war battleground for performative allies and idiots who worship putin unironically. The game has a 74 OC which is not a great score for a AAA game. I played the opening hour since it FINALLY went live tonight on Xbox.

First, the game is intended to be a Bioshock-like, and it doesn't even pretend to be anything else. The game opens in a Utopian city in the clouds, with a vibrant river ride that reminded me a lot of the opening to Burial at Sea Pt 1 where Elizabeth jogged through Paris. Everything is going well in a way that lets you know everything is eventually going to go to poo poo. This city of the future, populated by humans and robot helpers, is about to activate a neuro technology they've plugged into their brain that will supposedly allow them to learn new things extremely quickly like Tank loading the Jump program in the Matrix. So that's probably going to go very wrong. But you don't get to see that, as you're a soldier whisked away on a mission on the ground, where different poo poo is going wrong. No sooner do you arrive at a laboratory than the robot helpers start attacking you... and then you learn that this has been going on for a while, as you are tasked with stopping the apparent/alleged 'traitor' who developed the very technology that everyone up in the sky is sticking in their heads. Uh oh!

The combat mostly feels okay, but what people are humming about is... what's the vibe here? Because reviews have oscillated between 8s and 5s, with the naysayers highly disliking the protagonist and storytelling. Here's my feeling through the first hour. I went with Russian voice acting rather than English voice acting, and at least for now, the main character's vibes are more 'grumpy' than being a huge antagonistic rear end in a top hat. His AI pal who lives in his magic glove (that's right, he's talking to a FREAKING CUFF! ok no it's just a glove but still...) is curt and rude at him and he is rude right back. It's sort of typical jerk against jerk banter that besides being similar to Forspoken's dynamic is also something I see in Eastern European games a lot, so idk if it's just something that is more relatable to the devs of those countries? It's not like American devs haven't had this kind of dynamic either in games, I guess.

I think the biggest strike against the game, one that I'm not sure they're going to be able to get past, is that they are not offering a very inventive take on the genre. The environmental 'storytelling' amounts to writing on the walls like "THEY CAN HEAR US" and "TURN BACK" type writing, and the audio logs are really stereotypical... for as long of a gap as there's been between Prey and Atomic Heart, there needs to be, I dunno, some sort of iteration or evolution at play, and not just playing 'the hits'. The story beats so far are basically just past Bioshock beats. Yes, it's dressed in USSR fashion and likely will be satirical as such, but is this game going to offer anything novel of its own? The most interesting thing in the opening hour is Baba Zita, a granny whose farm you find that helps you escape the robots, while firing at them with assault rifles and a rocket launcher she pulls out of, IDK, malletspace? She seems cool. But otherwise, it's going to be an uphill battle for Atomic Heart to climb above Ctrl-Alt-Ego in my ImmSim mindspace.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 21, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

These games keep re-inventing the wheel, when System Shock 2 is really where this genre peaked. The "dead cat bounce" was when Prey 2017 came out.

Maybe some of them have a shiny coat on top of them in comparison, but none end up matching the sublime perfection of SS2

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm extremely excited for System Shock 1 remake. It looks real loving good.

Also, I wish Prey didn't have the mimics, because I'm gonna be honest, I'm a big pussy and the thought of having to deal with mimics again makes me not want to replay that game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The SS1 remake's aesthetic is so good in action, I was blown away by it when I played the demo. A lot of games have tried to emulate pixel art vibes in a FPS but the SS remake is the first one that has done it right. Everything from the heavily-pixelated monitors to the blocky pixel-emulating level geometry without being "lo-fi" is superb

Jack Trades posted:

Also, I wish Prey didn't have the mimics, because I'm gonna be honest, I'm a big pussy and the thought of having to deal with mimics again makes me not want to replay that game.

Just carry a turret with you everywhere you go, it does like 80% of the game's combat for you and takes care of mimics before you even see them. There are very few places in the game where it's not possible to carry a turret with you.

When I played it I had like 2-3 turrets at any given time that I was gradually leapfrogging past one another :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 21, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What are the thoughts on Company of Heroes 3 for those who have played the beta tests? Going to be a good game hopefully? It comes out finally in a few days.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Idk if I'm gonna buy it because my comp is middling but I really like watching coh2 matches for some reason so I hope it's good

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Just carry a turret with you everywhere you go, it does like 80% of the game's combat for you and takes care of mimics before you even see them. There are very few places in the game where it's not possible to carry a turret with you.

When I played it I had like 2-3 turrets at any given time that I was gradually leapfrogging past one another :v:

Okay but...what if the turrets start shooting me too? :ninja:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

What if the turret is also a mimic. :stare:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I'm psyched to finally get another 0451 style game, even if it looks a bit heavy on the shooty side.
This is the future we were promised with System Shock, now we're lucky to get a single competent one every five years :argh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's a Mystery Sale going on.
Does anyone have a gameplay-focused game from the sale that they can recommend?

I really liked GNOSIA, a single-player game where you play matches of Werewolf/Mafia/Amogus, to learn about different characters and try to reach different goals and learn skills that make manipulating other characters more in-depth.
I really enjoyed the story in that one too, but the gameplay was really interesting and unique.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Oh poo poo I forgot I was busy with Gnosia. Im going to have to get back into it. I remember being pretty poo poo at it hahaha.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

There's a Mystery Sale going on.
Does anyone have a gameplay-focused game from the sale that they can recommend?

I really liked GNOSIA, a single-player game where you play matches of Werewolf/Mafia/Amogus, to learn about different characters and try to reach different goals and learn skills that make manipulating other characters more in-depth.
I really enjoyed the story in that one too, but the gameplay was really interesting and unique.

Here are some more mechanically focused games

The Case of The Golden Idol
Strange Horticulture
Late Alligator (if you like minigames)
Overboard (all about manipulating characters but in an adventure game way)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kragger99 posted:

Looks significantly sharper but that's mainly due to comparing 4K on PC vs non-4K on PS5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temntOfITRQ

I've enjoyed the game enough on PS5 that I might really re-buy it on PC just for the spiffier graphics and the ability to play it on the Steam Deck :negative:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's definitely a free-to-play mobile game of some kind. afaict they haven't gone into detail about monetization systems but that's the most likely guess since that's where all the money is in f2p mobile rpgs (especially in asia)
it seems like there will only ever be 12 characters but there are alternate versions of the characters called "identities" obtainable through some mechanic or other (probably gacha). for example the page for their "pre-register" campaign mentions giving away "Blade Lineage Yi Sang" for 150k twitter followers

Oooohhh the upcoming ProjectMoon game is mobile gatcha trash? gently caress, I was really excited for this... :(

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

While waiting for Sons of the Forest, I've been playing something from my backlog - Gedonia. It looks and feels quite janky, but surprisingly fun to play, a little bit at least. The UI is familiar if you've ever played an open world ARPG or oldschool MMO's, with skill trees and various enemies scattered around.

There's a weekly deal on right now on Steam, if this kind of jank is your cup of tea:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114220/Gedonia/

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is Returnal the game with the absolutely bonkers plot that people were mad about a while ago?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Pwnstar posted:

Is Returnal the game with the absolutely bonkers plot that people were mad about a while ago?

There's some weird twists and poo poo, but I don't think people were super mad about it in the way they were about Deathloop or that other groundhog game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not particularly difficult to understand, just kind of cliche if you've played any kind of horror game in the past 6 years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pwnstar posted:

Its not so much bonkers as it's like the same plot twist I've seen in at least two other games independently, and probably a few movies

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
When I asked the PS5 thread if Returnal had a dumb ending, someone in there just spelled out the exact ending and plot twist unasked-for and it made me never play the game again. Not necessarily because the story or ending is particularly bad, but without any kind of plot intrigue to drive me along, the gameplay kind of fell flat for me. But I guess that is kind of an indictment of the story itself too because it completely took any interest out of seeing what happens next, which doesn't feel like it should happen if you accidentally find out the ending of a good story.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's not particularly original but it's well delivered and most importantly stays the gently caress out of the way of the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fortunately if you just play the game and don't have it spoiled for you it's doled out in a very intriguing way that makes me want to keep playing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think selene's voice actress elevates it a lot too. this is the first game i've actually listened to audio logs in since uhhh bioshock 1? they're short and sweet and weird and get you tantalised about what's coming up in the game. and not some random disembodied voice talking directly at the player because the devs were too lazy to show instead of tell.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This game is stupidly charming for indescribable reasons. I put 30 hours into it back in October pretty quickly, but the game was (is?) Early Access then and was clearly missing stuff once you got to the higher levels.

I should re-install and see what's been added since then...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sab669 posted:

This game is stupidly charming for indescribable reasons. I put 30 hours into it back in October pretty quickly, but the game was (is?) Early Access then and was clearly missing stuff once you got to the higher levels.

I should re-install and see what's been added since then...

It sounds fun so went ahead and gave it a buy. Anything to know before starting? Seems to work on Steam Deck but has some trouble unless you toggle on vsync

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't really remember much about the mechanics honestly. I remember some of the skills being kind of obtuse and the general community opinion seemed be a sort of "Figure it out ;)" kind of attitude, so I'd just say don't over think things. If it sounds fun or whatever give it a try.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This review convinced me to (eventually) try out Gedonia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITqDd63btdI

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Im looking at Returnal. I'm terrible at video games -- like, to beat Elden Ring bosses, my only hope was to grind experience until I was impossibly over-levelled. Is that (or some meta-progress equivalent) possible with Returnal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You will gradually unlock traversal skills and weapons/items that will get added to the pool and make subsequent runs easier, but you'll never start with higher HP or damage from a fresh run.