Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Make the rules so that everyone must play run 'n gun style imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Ah yes. Less football. More ads. What we all want.

College football is already nearly unwatchable from stoppages. Now we need to make the actual gameplay faster and keep the overall run time the same. Capitalism baby.

F1 is so refreshing because you just sit down and watch the loving race from beginning to end.

It's this exactly. Networks aren't going to change the time slots for these games so all that saved time will just go to more media timeouts.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

If the clock isn't stopping as often, doesn't that leave less room for ads?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fifty Three posted:

The commercial stoppages will remain, but the time between will just tick off faster—leaving more room in the 4hr TV slot for Applebees ads.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

It could yes. I'm a bit more pessimistic and believe they will eventually add in more forced media timeouts which will bring the game back to its regular length.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fifty Three posted:

From Big TV's standpoint I think it leaves more room for ads in between games and gets rid of that pesky 5 hour game that you've sold all of your ads for already so you just have to sit through it.

They'll go hard with the 30 second ads I'd assume if a game goes long. But if you can cut long games out halftime and postgame shows just seem like free ad time someone has paid for. *note that I am not an insider and have no idea how this actually works, that just seems to be how it works to me. The less football on TV, the more time for a few minutes of talking heads and more ads to play.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kind of already touched on, but college football's problems aren't game clock stoppages. It's how long it takes for replay reviews and all the loving media timeouts (often these two are combined!)

It's ruining the live game experience too because there's so much down time.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
The end stage of this is we implement everything they do in soccer that's stupid but at least keeps games from stopping for commercials but still have two hours worth of loving Applebee's commercials per game. Let's just slap a big old Piggly Wiggly logo on the Bama helmets and get it over with.

They already do this in the NBA and the sponsors are mostly low rent podcast level advertisers. I think 3/4 of them are Crypto companies.

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 20, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MLB umpires have had giant FTX patches on their blazers for over a year now which gets funnier and funnier every time

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LeeMajors posted:

Ah yes. Less football. More ads. What we all want.

College football is already nearly unwatchable from stoppages. Now we need to make the actual gameplay faster and keep the overall run time the same. Capitalism baby.

F1 is so refreshing because you just sit down and watch the loving race from beginning to end.

Pretty sure broadcast TV has laws about how many minutes per hour can be ads. An NFL game is pretty reliably over in 3-3:30; you don't see the broadcasts for those artificially blown out to 4 hours.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If they made the games short enough that they could move start times up then the changes would definitely be worth it. Since I’m not watching the between game shows anyway, I’m still eager for them to speed up the game. College games take way too loving long.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

If they made the games short enough that they could move start times up then the changes would definitely be worth it. Since I’m not watching the between game shows anyway, I’m still eager for them to speed up the game. College games take way too loving long.

Putting reviews on a timer and ending TV timeouts would do a lot for the watchability of the game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

The end stage of this is we implement everything they do in soccer that's stupid but at least keeps games from stopping for commercials but still have two hours worth of loving Applebee's commercials per game. Let's just slap a big old Piggly Wiggly logo on the Bama helmets and get it over with.

They already do this in the NBA and the sponsors are mostly low rent podcast level advertisers. I think 3/4 of them are Crypto companies.

They're unfortunately the opposite of low rent (for most teams) which is why they're crypto, because it basically requires a business model where user/sucker acquisition is the primary goal of massive advertising blitz. Them being kind of low rent was actually the initial pitch to try and make fans accept them (the idea being they would be mom and pop conglomerates generally based in the city the team plays, pretty much only true for Fed Ex and the Grizzlies). But it sort of turns out it doesn't matter if fans accept it or not.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

Putting reviews on a timer and ending TV timeouts would do a lot for the watchability of the game.

Oh god yes please. Nothing worse than the 3 minute review. Give them max 90 seconds. If they can’t figure it out, call stands and move on.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oh god yes please. Nothing worse than the 3 minute review. Give them max 90 seconds. If they can’t figure it out, call stands and move on.

poo poo, give them 40 seconds. One playclock cycle.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Just do the challenge system and limit it to two per team, with no automatic reviews for turnovers, scoring plays, or anything else. Eliminate automatic review for targeting, and also eliminate targeting.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I'd love them to adopt what rugby does. No ads during the game. However during downtime in the game they shrink the screen by maybe 25% or so and fill the area around it with ads. Could easily do that at things like change of possession, 30 sec timeouts, or reviews. Keep advertisers relatively happy and keep the game moving. Halftime is a ton of ads, but I'm fine with that honestly. I wish I could find a screen cap of what I'm talking about, but I can't figure out what to search for.

And I know that this is contraversal to say, but if uniform ads eliminated broadcast ads that's a trade I'm willing to make. Of course that's not how it works, but if it was? I think I'd be ok. So long as it wasn't full Nascar or lower lever European hockey bad.

Honeslty after having the kid the fact that rugby is over in under 2 hrs, and the international leagues are small makes the game so easy to follow. European start times aren't bad either since hey I'm up by 7 on weekends anyway.

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 21, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:rip: in piss, racist rear end in a top hat booster

https://twitter.com/culturemapsa/status/1627824190215847936?s=61&t=BX1ZkyRa6TwyQoqIN1FeHQ

wonder if this means he'll finally stop trying to buy out Pagosa Springs too

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Picturing all our Vol posters like this from now on
https://twitter.com/Bill_Dance1/status/1627473107932876801?s=20

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Eww, Hunt's.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Rule changes so we have to watch the same 2-3 ads on ESPN over and over.

WHOPPER WHOPPER

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Just lol if you don't have the same espn3 splash screen and 30 second music loop every commercial break

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Getting rid of the "incomplete stops the clock" thing is like...that's a fundamental part of the game. You might as well make a fifth down or 12 yards for a first.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm not looking to shorten games, or at least gameplay. Season flies by as it is.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

whos that broooown posted:

I'm not looking to shorten games, or at least gameplay. Season flies by as it is.

100% this

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
It's looking for a solution to something that isn't broken. TV and commercials make the game longer. Same as in baseball. They don't want to give up lucrative ad revenue, so they look for other artificial ways to shorten the games. And while yes, some pitchers took a ridiculously long time between pitches, that was not the biggest driver in game length.

I'm not opposed to eliminating back to back timeouts, but how often does that really happen. Also not opposed to going to NFL first down clock rules, but I do enjoy the little changes like that that distinguish between the two. I absolutely do not like the incomplete pass change. That would completely change the game, especially the end game.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I do feel like back to back timeouts happens a surprising amount at the end of the 1st half. You have coaches doing really stupid poo poo and you have them icing kickers 2 times in a row and other such things.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Leach stories

If people want I can post more for those without Athletic subs

quote:

Falk: We’re playing Oregon my senior year. We’re up by like 17. I’m checking runs and short, quick-game passes at the end, trying to run the clock out. We end up kicking a field goal with two minutes left to really seal the deal. I go to the sideline and he was so displeased with me that I wasn’t being aggressive and trying to score a touchdown. He was like: “What are you, just uh, uh, uh, a career bunter?”

quote:

James Whalen, Kentucky receiver: I made a mistake (in a game). He came up to me and was getting after me pretty good. I said something to the effect of, “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” He looked at me and his eyes got big and, boy, he got pissed. And he said: “If we were in Rome, I’d feed you to the f—— lions.”

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

whos that broooown posted:

Truth. I didn’t even mind the “incomplete pass nearly every down” Kevin Sumlin teams in person. I am not trying to do anything other than go to the game that day.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

Leach stories

If people want I can post more for those without Athletic subs

“Well, what if the cheerleader went to the 50-yard line and took a sh–?”

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Being compared to Bill Dance? I'll loving take it. Bill rules.

One of my fondest memories of my grandfather was watching Bill's fishing show with him. I still go and watch older episodes.

Then of course there's the bloopers which, if you've never seen please watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK_h-2kot6s

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

some pitchers took a ridiculously long time between pitches, that was not the biggest driver in game length.

I think "game length" was a polite way of saying "that makes the game boring."

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Those rule changes fuckin suck!!!!!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Leach stories, part 2

Steve Spurrier Jr posted:

When we were at Oklahoma, he had a plastic bag with two slices of bread in it. Every day, he brought two slices of bread. I watched him one day. He got a piece of bread and balled it up. One whole slice of bread and just balled it as tight as he could. I can’t quite figure out what he’s doing. Is he going fishing? He’s just sitting there for a couple minutes squeezing it. Then he took the ball and he put it in his mouth and swallowed it whole. So I asked him. He said: “Well, my wife said because I drink so much coffee and it’s not good for my stomach that I need to eat two slices of bread a day — and I hate bread. So I ball it up and swallow it up.”

Hal Mumme posted:

We make this big trip to Florida in 1991. On the way back, we’re driving along and I looked at him. “I think I might be able to get the job at The Citadel. How would you like that?” He looks at me and goes, “I don’t want to play soldier.” … He said, “If I was going to play something, I just want to play a pirate.” He goes into this long oration about how you could have a school where everybody dressed like pirates. You could have cannon practice and swing-your-sword practice.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

don't even know who this new guy is, but get Toney out of here

https://twitter.com/ClowESPN/status/1628258706176499713?s=20

Ehud fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 22, 2023

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ehud posted:

don't even know who this new guy is, but get Toney out of here

https://twitter.com/ClowESPN/status/1628258706176499713?s=20

Was a GA for Napier. Young guy, with 2 years as DC at USM, but apparently folks have some high opinions of him.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

lol at the NFL draftniks falling in line to go ga-ga over Anthony Richardson.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

Draft dudes getting boners over measurables is nothing new.

Stafford’s highlight reel had like a dozen 95mph fastballs off Massaquoi’s shoulder pads, and 85yd overthrow incompletions.

Richardson will probably not work out—like basically every other QB ever.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

D.N. Nation posted:

I just saw a mock on the Athletic where the Raiders traded up to five to get him. :wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Draft dudes getting boners over measurables is nothing new.

Stafford’s highlight reel had like a dozen 95mph fastballs off Massaquoi’s shoulder pads, and 85yd overthrow incompletions.

Richardson will probably not work out—like basically every other QB ever.

Josh Allen being the 1 in 100 prospect of his kind that actually works out will vindicate scouting science for another 30 years.