Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SourKraut posted:

I imagine leather on a mouse is going to become grungy and disgusting over time.

Provided it’s actual high quality leather and not some cheap rear end leatherette, it will develop a nice patina over time, rather than become grungy. Plus
Leather can be cleaned and conditioned in ways that soft touch plastic can’t.

We already use leather for surfaces that get touched a lot - gloves, phone cases, steering wheels, furniture etc.

Plus one of the things that I like about the lunar instruments mouse is that the entire thing is designed to be easily user serviceable and each part easily replaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

doingitwrong posted:

Why don’t people like the Magic Mouse? The new charging situation seems unaccountably dumb.

Entirely aside from not being able to use it while it’s charging, it’s a hybrid trackpad/mouse that doesn’t actually have the functionality that makes a mouse useful for the situations where you need a mouse. The shape is extremely poorly designed - it’s too flat and to small to grip in a way that you would grip a proper mouse in order to do anything that requires precision mouse movements and it doesn’t have actual clickable buttons which means you can’t rapidly/precisely click.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The tragic macpad is actually not tragic at all and is in fact good

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

I imagine leather on a mouse is going to become grungy and disgusting over time.

not any more than a wallet or bag/purse, assuming that the leather is high quality enough

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Warbird posted:

What’s so so special about it/the drag feature?

Drag and drop is the one action with a trackpad that's I've always found much more awkward and unnatural than using a mouse. Both needing to use the physical click and "drag lock" isn't great imo.

But with three finger drag you hardly have to think about it, just put down two more fingers once the cursor is over the title bar / icon, then let go when it's where you want. Combined with other multi-touch gestures (4 finger expose / app switching, forward/back) and tap-to-click, with Apple's overall driver/software, it's just excellent and I don't find myself missing a mouse for anything that isn't games.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SourKraut posted:

Unlike plastic or god forbid rubber, leather can be treated to get back to normal rather easily. I have a leather office chair from ikea that only needs a cleanup ever couple of years or so to get back to factory condition, while my keyboard and mouse will look poo poo no matter what.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 19, 2023

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Escape Goat posted:

Magic Trackpad with three finger drag turned on makes mice obsolete outside of gaming for me

Three finger drag is fantastic, and its really weird/bad that its no longer a default option and you have to go into accessibility to turn on

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The tragic macpad is actually not tragic at all and is in fact good

Have you considered that this opinion is wrong? The leather mouse is the ultimate pointing device, the world just isn't ready for it yet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Turned on the 3 finger drag, it’s pretty nice, neat. Speaking of nice/keyboards, I presume all
the gestures have hot key versions?

Additionally, is there a rundown of how window management works with multiple displays? It looks like you can have multiple full screen apps/desktops per display but I’m not 100% sure.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SlowBloke posted:

Unlike plastic or god forbid rubber, leather can be treated to get back to normal rather easily. I have a leather office chair from ikea that only needs a cleanup ever couple of years or so to get back to factory condition, while my keyboard and mouse will look poo poo no matter what.

Yeah, in many instances I agree; it just seems like the way a mouse is built, it'll be potential frequent and tedious cleaning/re-treatment, and not worth it since it's solely an aesthetic choice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, in many instances I agree; it just seems like the way a mouse is built, it'll be potential frequent and tedious cleaning/re-treatment, and not worth it since it's solely an aesthetic choice.

probably not any worse than a leather seating surface or a frequently-used belt/bag/wallet. The innards of a mouse are pretty inert and durable these days

all you really gotta do is power/charge it

the only tedious cleaning issue I’d foresee is anywhere there are seams or where the leather meets metal/etc—like anywhere that could accumulate dirt and body soil/etc is probably gonna get kind of nasty

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Brain Issues posted:

Have you considered that this opinion is wrong? The leather mouse is the ultimate pointing device, the world just isn't ready for it yet.

Tim apple please make a leather trackpad.

It puts the leather treatment on its skin

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mouse leather leather mouse

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

LEATHER MOUSE MOUSE LEATHER

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
4 Stam 4 Strength leather mouse

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Leather mouse made from mouse skin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fine Corinthian mouse leather

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Yeast posted:

Three finger drag is fantastic, and its really weird/bad that its no longer a default option and you have to go into accessibility to turn on

I had no idea this existed because it would never have occurred to me to check accessibility on top of the main trackpad panel for all the options. Having set it up, this rules.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah its buried deep in accessibility but this is a gamechanger. I spend an inordinate amount of time janitoring files in my Onedrive and drag'n'drop was always terrible on the macpad

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

when i was setting up this 14" MBP, i was coming from a ten year old 13" MBP

i was losing my mind trying to find the three finger drag, it was the first thing i had to change. no idea how people live without it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I’m too good at holding down with one finger and dragging with another I guess, cause I’ve never really wanted three finger drag. I always set sensitivity to the max though, so I can keep the holding finger in one place and still move to anywhere on screen.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
what is the three finger drag

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Not much, what’s three finger drag with you?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there a mouse that does horizontal inertial scrolling that's not the magic mouse??

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I feel lost when I use a laptops without BetterTouchTool custom gestures for three fingers swiping/opening/closing tabs in browsers and finder.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is there any practical downside to getting the older model of LG 5k? I can buy for $400 locally

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

teraflame posted:

Is there any practical downside to getting the older model of LG 5k? I can buy for $400 locally

There are a few things. Only the newest rev supports 94W charge power output to a MacBook Pro; older versions are something like 60W or 70W. I think they also upgraded the color gamut a little, and a couple other minor feature bumps.

If you just need a display, have a compatible computer, and it's in good shape (I assume it's used), that's a nice deal.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Lady Radia posted:

what is the three finger drag

Same thing as click-drag.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Seems like it would be useful to have something like a dedicated button off to the side that you could comfortably click and hold to drag things, instead of a single surface.

oh wait

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Drag lock is the best, except it has made me unable to select text in windows with a trackpad.

Who wants to hold down a button while they trudge through folders to move a file.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

zachol posted:

If this can be a leisurely project I'd recommend those screw extractor pliers with the really sharp tips, see how well you can twist out the rivets one at a time. Trying to peel off the keyboard seemed ridiculously messy and unpleasant.

OK well I valued my sanity more than money so I just bought an A grade keyboard upper on eBay and finished the swap this weekend.

Altogether the process was fairly simple, although I now have a healthy dislike of ribbon cables and tiny screws (of which I have a non-zero amount of "spares" after the operation).

All in all it didn't go perfectly, but I'm content enough that it's not going to fall apart, seems to work well enough after quick burn-in, so I'm not going to bother going in and trying to figure out which extra screws are actually things I forgot to attach vs whatever I have surplus of, because I bought a second upper.

And that's the last time I'll ever open an Intel MacBook Pro.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

teraflame posted:

I saw a post elsewhere recently about them, depends which older one I guess? 2016 vs 2019:

"For what it's worth, I've heard far, far, far fewer complaints of misbehavior from the 2019 revision of the UF5K (27MD5KL) than the original 2016 version (27MD5KA). Anything in the channel at this point should be the L version. Tiny sample size, but neither of mine has ever misbehaved, and both have quite good panel quality (though the 2021-build one is noticeably better than the 2019-buiild one)."

zachol posted:

Seems like it would be useful to have something like a dedicated button off to the side that you could comfortably click and hold to drag things, instead of a single surface.

oh wait
I feel like rarely use the thumb to click/drag at this point but it still works fine on the Magic Trackpads :shrug:

Zenostein posted:

Drag lock is the best, except it has made me unable to select text in windows with a trackpad.

Who wants to hold down a button while they trudge through folders to move a file.
I forget, is that done with tap tap-drag? If so the main issue I've always had is that it adds a delay on regular tap clicks, or something like that that throws me off (since I only tap to click).

(...or it's an independent option that works with the superior three finger drag and I just completely forgot)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

japtor posted:

I saw a post elsewhere recently about them, depends which older one I guess? 2016 vs 2019:

"For what it's worth, I've heard far, far, far fewer complaints of misbehavior from the 2019 revision of the UF5K (27MD5KL) than the original 2016 version (27MD5KA). Anything in the channel at this point should be the L version. Tiny sample size, but neither of mine has ever misbehaved, and both have quite good panel quality (though the 2021-build one is noticeably better than the 2019-buiild one)."

I feel like rarely use the thumb to click/drag at this point but it still works fine on the Magic Trackpads :shrug:

I forget, is that done with tap tap-drag? If so the main issue I've always had is that it adds a delay on regular tap clicks, or something like that that throws me off (since I only tap to click).

(...or it's an independent option that works with the superior three finger drag and I just completely forgot)

Is that what causes that absurd delay? I assumed that was just osx being stupid about tap clicks. But yeah, it's double-click, drag, click. Much better if you run out of space on the trackpad, or need to scroll a window to find the right folder to drop/spring, rather than hoping you don't hit the timeout and drop whatever you were dropping somewhere.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Is that what causes that absurd delay? I assumed that was just osx being stupid about tap clicks. But yeah, it's double-click, drag, click. Much better if you run out of space on the trackpad, or need to scroll a window to find the right folder to drop/spring, rather than hoping you don't hit the timeout and drop whatever you were dropping somewhere.
I haven't tried the option in years but yeah iirc it's drag lock that causes it. I think it's basically waiting for the second tap or not to determine whether you're doing a click or drag.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Just bought an M2 Pro 14" MBP to replace my M1 mini as I foresee portability becoming a requirement at some point in the next few months, but it's still going to be a mostly deskbound machine. What's the deal with docks?

I mostly want something unobtrusive that a) works, and b) can drive 2x 4K displays at 60Hz, has some USB-As and Cs, audio out, and SD card reader - and isn't something where you have to double dongle, cause I wanna stick it to the back of one of my monitors near a side edge.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Get ready to drop like $200+, tbh.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Zenostein posted:

I can't help with the other things, but you don't ever have to "run out of space on the trackpad."

Once you press down with three fingers to select the file you want to drag, as long as you maintain contact with the trackpad you can lift (at least) one of your fingers to maintain the drag. I use index, middle , and ring fingers to start the drag then only use my index finger to actually move the item, lifting and repositioning the index fingertip as needed.

This also works for things like sizing the box when capturing a portion of the screen for the built-in screenshot function.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Kibner posted:

Get ready to drop like $200+, tbh.

I don't mind dropping that much as long as I don't get bitten with the thing sucking unreasonably, which seems to have been my experience with any dock I've been given from work.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

handoferis posted:

I don't mind dropping that much as long as I don't get bitten with the thing sucking unreasonably, which seems to have been my experience with any dock I've been given from work.

The CalDigit TS4 is probably your best bet: https://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-station-4/

They are designed to be compatible with Macs first and foremost and generally are ahead of everyone else when it comes to features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve got the 3+ flavor of that and it works pretty well. It has the annoying habit of the screen connected via the daisy chain USBC/TB port not being recognized when coming up from sleep though. It’s easily fixed by unplugging and replugging the dock to the computer, but still annoying. I should email their support sometime to see if there’s anything that could be done.