Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Skimmed the OP and the last page and didn't see anything conclusive, is there a thread favorite? I might add a front & backup cam to my car with neither, probably hardwire so I don't have to waste the 12v plug

I feel like it might be the Viofo A129, but I might be biased because I have two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have the same one, it's great.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I feel like it might be the Viofo A129, but I might be biased because I have two of them.

It's the one that gets recommended the most, yes.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I got the A129 Pro Duo based on recommendations in here and I'm 100% satisfied with it

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I got a Viofo A119 several years ago and it's been great. I had a minor issue after a couple of years (which required me to update the firmware on it) but that was easily fixed and I haven't had any issues since then. Absolutely solid dashcam

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Another member of the Viofo club here, A129 Pro Duo. I had an issue with the shipping firmware where it would sometimes fail to record video for the front camera, it just froze on a certain frame, but a firmware update resolved that issue and it's been fine ever since.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My A129 duo just died. Hangs on the title screen. I tried new firmware, a new card, and eventually disassembled it in case one of the ribbon connectors came loose as per someone else's repair.

I'm torn about getting a new one since I don't drive the vehicle to commute anymore. I probably will though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well poo poo. I just realized something.

How do you mount a rear dashcam when you have a powered rear sunshade? Off in one of the corners? Or not use the sunshade? It's a black car, we hit 84 today too - it's a loving oven in there already. I plan to keep the rear sunshade up when it's parked outside or when driving during the day.

I don't think I can easily modify the sunshade and just leave it up either - it automatically retracts when I put the car in reverse.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

STR posted:

Well poo poo. I just realized something.

How do you mount a rear dashcam when you have a powered rear sunshade? Off in one of the corners? Or not use the sunshade? It's a black car, we hit 84 today too - it's a loving oven in there already. I plan to keep the rear sunshade up when it's parked outside or when driving during the day.

I don't think I can easily modify the sunshade and just leave it up either - it automatically retracts when I put the car in reverse.

Can you cut a hole that allows the lens to see through it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nocheez posted:

Can you cut a hole that allows the lens to see through it?

STR posted:

There's kind of sort of a big beefy plastic frame around it. It would directly hit the rear camera if I mounted it to the glass.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 21, 2023

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'd see about a drive cam system that has a camera on a cord that can be sent out to the rear of the car, like those aftermarket back-up cameras that bolt on with the license plate bracket

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

STR posted:

There's kind of sort of a big beefy plastic frame around it. It would directly hit the rear camera if I mounted it to the glass.
Don't cut the frame, drill a hole. Or get a small enough camera that allows your sunshade to be applied right over. You can also mount the camera for their back from the glass on the fixture inside the car like a deck lid or pillar something. So the shade goes in front of it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

NoWake posted:

I'd see about a drive cam system that has a camera on a cord that can be sent out to the rear of the car, like those aftermarket back-up cameras that bolt on with the license plate bracket

I've been screaming for a system with 2 tiny remote cameras that can be wired to a central unit for recording purposes for a while.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I had good success just putting a hard drive magnet above the trim in my car and then a flat piece of sheet metal on the camera mount. This lets it be near the window without having to mount it directly to the window. It will still get knocked off in a crash but otherwise it's been very reliable.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

opengl posted:

I've been screaming for a system with 2 tiny remote cameras that can be wired to a central unit for recording purposes for a while.

You can find some things like this if you search for "motorcycle dash cam"
I haven't really looked into them. The wires might be too short for a car - not sure if they sell em with longer wires or if the wiring can be extended easily.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

powered sun shades on the interior? is this some aussie thing

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I wanted to suggest an alternative to the usual Australia compilation

https://www.youtube.com/@BadDriversOfItaly

Some of the videos segments are almost no survivors material but at least it's a bit more varied than the average Australia vid.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I picked their latest video and heard someone yell "Mama Mia!" In under a minute, so I'm sold

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Google translate engine is usually unable to cope with dialects and the average regional cursing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I am absolutely adding rear end in a top hat of poo poo to my regular cursing rotation.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
omg the rabbits in the newest video :allears:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/1201uun/porsche_macan_tries_to_cut_into_slowing_traffic/

OP posts a video of this accident he's in but several people notice:

he cuts the audio levels to cover up his engine noise when he accelerates into the person cutting him off

and he cropped the video so it doesn't show his speed, even though in prior videos he didnt crop the speed out

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/1201uun/porsche_macan_tries_to_cut_into_slowing_traffic/

he cuts the audio levels to cover up his engine noise when he accelerates into the person cutting him off

and he cropped the video so it doesn't show his speed, even though in prior videos he didnt crop the speed out

I occasionally check that sub and there's a surprising amount of people that will post incriminating videos of themselves being idiots just in the hopes that some strangers will approve their dangerous behavior because they were "technically correct" or sometimes not even that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

I occasionally check that sub and there's a surprising amount of people that will post incriminating videos of themselves being idiots just in the hopes that some strangers will approve their dangerous behavior because they were "technically correct" or sometimes not even that.

one of the many weird ways people try to clout chase in the modern world

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

It also looks like he literally turns into the guy lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnO3HXKgPZU

This is the road rage version of the GBS goon who burned down his neighbors house for "internet popularity"

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

I wanted to suggest an alternative to the usual Australia compilation

https://www.youtube.com/@BadDriversOfItaly

Some of the videos segments are almost no survivors material but at least it's a bit more varied than the average Australia vid.

These are fantastic, I wonder how much of its lifetime the average Italian city car spends at WOT.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 24, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

redgubbinz posted:

These are fantastic, I wonder how much of its lifetime the average Italian city car spends at WOT.

Most of the time really, a sizable amount of the city cars sold are under specced to limit insurance costs. Meaning we have lots of 1l three cyls moving a 1.5t car.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Not mine, but holy poo poo :stare:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

The tire went "gently caress this car specifically"

"Come back here, I ain't done with you yet"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Takes No Damage posted:

I like how the tire hits it one last time at the end, just to be a dick

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Takes No Damage posted:

Several years ago, I saw a brodozer Excursion lose a wheel in a similar manner. Luckily, nobody else was involved in that crash.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Wheel spacers with too short studs?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

glyph posted:

No, pause the video near the end and you can clearly see a brake rotor still bolted to the wheel. The hub gave up, and was probably making all kinds of noise long before it did.

Edit: right as the wheel comes back for more

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

glyph posted:

Probably. Or other cheap mods that gave the wanted look, while over stressing stock suspension. Brodozers ruin everything.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, pause the video near the end and you can clearly see a brake rotor still bolted to the wheel. The hub gave up, and was probably making all kinds of noise long before it did.

"But my truck is so tough it can take anything!"

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 27, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

The fact that the wheel/tire is like 10" pushed further out than it should be puts a shitload of extra wear on the hubs, right? So loving stupid. Plus it throws rocks into everyones windshields constantly.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My Ford has a USB port on the dash to power poo poo, does anyone know if there's a way to surgerize a USB cord to the barrel kind of power plug that's on my Thinkware U1000? It seemed like there should be from my research but I tried it and didn't get it to work. Connected the ground from the dashcam cord to the black wire on the USB cord, and both power wires from the dashcam cord (switched and constant power) to the red power wire inside the USB cord. It seems like the colors inside USB cables are supposed to be universal (red for power, black for ground, white and green for data) but not sure how to tell I guess.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

bird with big dick posted:

My Ford has a USB port on the dash to power poo poo, does anyone know if there's a way to surgerize a USB cord to the barrel kind of power plug that's on my Thinkware U1000? It seemed like there should be from my research but I tried it and didn't get it to work. Connected the ground from the dashcam cord to the black wire on the USB cord, and both power wires from the dashcam cord (switched and constant power) to the red power wire inside the USB cord. It seems like the colors inside USB cables are supposed to be universal (red for power, black for ground, white and green for data) but not sure how to tell I guess.

I would just use a multimeter to confirm both the USB and the Barrel jack pinouts/wiring.

There is a USB color standard, but the last one I did for a project had all black wires soooo, wouldn't trust it.

How much power does the U1000 need? Basic USB ports can provide as low as .5 amps, but if this is mainly a charging port I'd suspect 2.1amp.

Edit: vv ah yeah, if it's looking for 12v then usb isn't the answer. vv

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 27, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bird with big dick posted:

The U1000 seems to want a 12v input, so you're not going to get that out of a 5v USB port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Cheap USB cables are notorious for not always using the colours correctly. If you've got a multimeter to check continuity you'll be fine wiring up a cable yourself. Question is, does the normal cable provide the 12V straight from the battery, or does it step down to 5V like USB uses? If its a 12V cable, using USB won't work. I just did a very cursory google and I feel like its a 12V cable.