Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cicero posted:

With Russia so committed to the war in Ukraine, it seems like if anything now would be the ideal time to assert more independence? Russia doesn't exactly have a lot of manpower to spare.

By whom? Batka has jailed or banished eveyone who could challenge the status quo, and he is totally dependent on Vova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I wonder if Lukas resistance to throwing his own troops into the war is making Putin want to just say the hell with it and annex the country.

I think it's less Luka being resistant and more the army itself. If he tried to push it he's more likely to get coup'd than succeed.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I think it's less Luka being resistant and more the army itself. If he tried to push it he's more likely to get coup'd than succeed.

but that would also likely happen with annexation too, no? i don't really have the pulse on belarus at the moment, but trying to absorb one country which would rather be separate while you're fighting a hugely costly war with another one seems like a recipe for two insurgencies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

but that would also likely happen with annexation too, no? i don't really have the pulse on belarus at the moment, but trying to absorb one country which would rather be separate while you're fighting a hugely costly war with another one seems like a recipe for two insurgencies.

I don't think there are any big events planned for as long as the war continues. This is why it was important to defeat opposition parties in Russia and Belarus before it all started. If everything had gone according to the invasion plan, well, the situation would be very different in Belarus now (and Transnistria, and Moldova...).

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nenonen posted:

I don't think there are any big events planned for as long as the war continues. This is why it was important to defeat opposition parties in Russia and Belarus before it all started. If everything had gone according to the invasion plan, well, the situation would be very different in Belarus now (and Transnistria, and Moldova...).

that's certainly true. had that decapitation strike worked things would have gone much differently.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

I mean... didn't everyone already expect this? Is it really breaking news?
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1627805927502913542

Luka may get that rank of Russian Colonel after all. :ussr:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

beer_war posted:

Minister in charge of window inspections

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

beer_war posted:

Or plank of Russian coroner.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charlotte Hornets posted:

:belarus:

Also Luka hosed up by allowing Russia to use its territory in the initial invasion. Probably read too many RAND reports. So now both of his testicles are in Putin's drawer and he can't "multi vector" anymore.

He hosed up when he decided that the right solution to being called out for stealing yet another election was to start killing and kidnapping random people. That was what gave the 2020–2021 protests enough energy to pose a credible threat to Lukashenko, and instead of taking the high way out to live in Switzerland as a retired billionaire, he chose to be bailed out by the Kremlin. Russia doesn't do charity, however – enter then 2021 Union State “upgrades” and the massive cash infusion. As you say, his regime is on a one-way street now, but I fear the de facto loss of sovereignty moment came in August 2020. Remembering those events does also make me wonder how much of his security detail these days is FSB.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Putin's address to Federal Assembly started and so far it seems it's just the usual blaming the West for the war and ranting about gay marriages

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1627960483801100289

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, my impression is that it's more of the same so far, grandpa huffing his farts. So much for hype and the dank fake billboard memes.

Seems that February is the month of summaries, with +2 to weekly production in all castles publishers. Anyone catching up or feeling forgetful:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 21, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Okay, I'm watching the full thing now for my lunch break, instead of disjoint clips, and this is incredibly weak lol. My man losing a war in Ukraine and his big annual presser is "OSCE said they care about the poors. Those were lies!!"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I mean this is peak fart huffing, literally the Tankie narration, but repeated by the big boy. Still working on spheres of influence logic, still thinking that Ukraine has no autonomy in this setting, he is not showing any sigs of self-reflection.

Ah poo poo boys we're in for the long haul.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Is it just me or is Russia Trump a lot less eloquent than he used to be? I remember Putin being somewhat witty, even, but I'm not getting that impression now.

But regardless, it really looks like he's believing his own bullshit.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sirfloriank/status/1627974935615348736?t=VWkw--dK8S3WnWtYReIIoA&s=19

On one hand, you have to listen to unhinged fascist ranting about good old glory days and gays coming after your children. On the other hand, at least booze is free at the reception afterwards.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Is it just me or is Russia Trump a lot less eloquent than he used to be? I remember Putin being somewhat witty, even, but I'm not getting that impression now.

Putin liked to do an odd wisecrack or joke, but he's always been a pretty mediocre speaker.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

So far I have read that according to Putin everything is fine, the economy is fine, the troops are fine, and we have lots of tanks and artillery left nothing to worry about. Oh, and we're suspending START.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Alchenar posted:

Putin liked to do an odd wisecrack or joke, but he's always been a pretty mediocre speaker.

Eh, I think he's been a fairly decent orator historically – awkward in live audiences, but good at serving a speech to an audience. And Antigravitas is onto something there, this one was a decidedly lower-energy speech, and he comes off a bit worn – quieter, misspeaking a bit more than you'd expect, and so on. I'm not sure if he just can't be arsed to keep up appearances, or if he's developing resistance to whatever stimulants kept him through playing Red Alert campaign IRL last year, but for the annual address to the Federal Assembly, in the present circumstances no less, this is a remarkably unremarkable speech.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, my impression is that it's more of the same so far, grandpa huffing his farts. So much for hype and the dank fake billboard memes.

Seems that February is the month of summaries, with +2 to weekly production in all castles publishers. Anyone catching up or feeling forgetful:

That FT article is great, really informative with well presented data.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The address was so devoid of anything meaningful, it feels like it harkens back to the good old days when Brezhnev would address the Communist Party Congress. I wonder why they had to postpone so much if the only topical thing in the entire speech was references to ongoing theological debates in the Church of England.

What's interesting to me is how well Putin's rhetoric that is clearly aimed at 'the Global South' play there? Based on UN votes and proclamations, there hasn't been any huge shift in official policies of African and South American countries, but there isn't much coverage in the world news of how the war in Ukraine affected political and media landscapes in those countries. Is there an overview of that somewhere?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

How Moscow bought a new sphere of influence on the cheap
https://www.ft.com/content/0c459575-5c72-4558-821e-b495c9db9b6f

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Antigravitas posted:

How Moscow bought a new sphere of influence on the cheap
https://www.ft.com/content/0c459575-5c72-4558-821e-b495c9db9b6f

Paywalled, any chance of an executive summary?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's a very long-form article about exactly Paladinus' question.

The FT paywall can usually be bypassed by putting the title into google verbatim and opening the link from there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

It's a very long-form article about exactly Paladinus' question.

The FT paywall can usually be bypassed by putting the title into google verbatim and opening the link from there.

To be precise, it's one of a 4-article series, where 3 of them address different parts of Paladinus's question, from an African perspective.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1627970168923082752

I wonder if this is a long-expected scheduled visit, or an extension of the tantrum Meloni threw over the Macron-Scholz-Zelenskyy dinner at the Élysée.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 21, 2023

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Internet archivers are our friends

https://archive.is/Yh3FL

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To be precise, it's one of a 4-article series, where 3 of them address different parts of Paladinus's question, from an African perspective.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1627970168923082752

I wonder if this is a long-expected scheduled visit, or an extension of the tantrum Meloni threw over the Macron-Scholz-Zelenskyy dinner at the Élysée.

Great now when Putin says there are powerful Nazis in Ukraine he'll not be lying

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

Great now when Putin says there are powerful Nazis in Ukraine he'll not be lying

Given all the Russian generals getting blown up I'd say there have been powerful Nazis in Ukraine for about a year, minimum.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Agronox posted:

Internet archivers are our friends

https://archive.is/Yh3FL

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Just to be clear, all you gotta do is paste the url into archive.is and viola.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does Putin call it a war now? Is that word not verboten anymore? Or is this a (mis)translation into English?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Putin call it a war now? Is that word not verboten anymore? Or is this a (mis)translation into English?
Putin uses war in the context of an imaginary war in which the West attacked Russia and they are only defending.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

The SMO is part of the larger war against the west. Which they started.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

spankmeister posted:

The SMO is part of the larger war against the west. Which they started.

To be precise, according to him Russia wages no war against the west either. The west did just force Russia's hand to defend itself, for which Russia had to declare SMO as it is not a country that wages wars, you see.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Charlotte Hornets posted:

:belarus:

Also Luka hosed up by allowing Russia to use its territory in the initial invasion. Probably read too many RAND reports. So now both of his testicles are in Putin's drawer and he can't "multi vector" anymore.

this was already basically the case after the 2020 elections. when major western powers are giving audiences to the would be government in exile and saying "they won the election and you should cede control", your prospects for improving relations with them are pretty clearly limited. they're now more limited, but whatever

Antigravitas posted:

at least early on, Putin was mocked for being a very shy, hesitant speaker. old kukly episodes are a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myByD8UE2YY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcD13UvCRyc

he did improve once he realized that presenting a confident tough guy image made him very popular with a lot of russians, and the intelligentsia that didn't care for all disliked him already anyway

Burns
May 10, 2008

The parents mentioned something about Luka being MIA for a few days. Any word on that online?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Warbadger posted:

Given all the Russian generals getting blown up I'd say there have been powerful Nazis in Ukraine for about a year, minimum.

Yes but now the first one has reach Kyiv.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Burns posted:

The parents mentioned something about Luka being MIA for a few days. Any word on that online?

He “disappeared” for like a whole day after meeting Putin on the 17th, Friday. Potato Force One was tracked flying from Moscow to Tver' on 18th, and yesterday (Monday) he was already running the government's business as usually. In other words, it was a weekend.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Any thoughts on the direction of the battle for Bakhmut? Looks like Russia got about 2/3 of the way to encirclement but started stalling out again in recent days. Any other views? Ukraine holding out in Bakhmut would be a crushing blow to Russia's "renewed" offensive.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just to be clear, all you gotta do is paste the url into archive.is and viola.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Vox Nihili posted:

Any thoughts on the direction of the battle for Bakhmut? Looks like Russia got about 2/3 of the way to encirclement but started stalling out again in recent days. Any other views? Ukraine holding out in Bakhmut would be a crushing blow to Russia's "renewed" offensive.

At some point they either have to counterattack to push back the lines or else withdraw from the city. A few weeks ago I would say they'd withdraw by the end of the month rather than waste offensive capability on strategically questionable objective, but if the Russians really do exhaust themselves, it is possible we see a limited counterattack to extend the battle into March/April. Should be pretty clear what is going to happen over the next week or so I think.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think I've seen a lot of speculation that the Russians wanted to capture Bakhmut by 2/24 to mark the anniversary of the invasion, and my feeling is that the defenders are motivated to hold out until that date at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I think I've seen a lot of speculation that the Russians wanted to capture Bakhmut by 2/24 to mark the anniversary of the invasion, and my feeling is that the defenders are motivated to hold out until that date at least.

Yeah, if I were a betting man, I would be at ease about bidding on “Ukraine shall control Bakhmut until February 25 Moscow morning news”. That said,

Vox Nihili posted:

UAF seems to have stabilized some lines of advance. CIT say that this was a reasonably precise map as of yesterday (some semi-random pro-Ukrainian TG is the source), and my gold arrows are the reported successful AFU counter-pushes.

Basically, the enemy is at the gates, but the high-density urban combat is not really there yet. Well, as high density as the pulverised Bakhmut can offer, anyway. Shaded areas with red highlight order are supposed to be contested, and the my pink circles show large industrial facilities, and the teal circle is a cooperative gardening zone/cottage village.