Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

I was just at Universal and the Simpsons 3D ride is loving hilarious, it's from right at the height of their powers

Really? I've always thought it was very much in the realm of post-good Simpsons, though perhaps the best example of it. It came out shortly after the movie did, in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That hardly sounds like Ned at all. Marge sounds worse and worse but Ned doesn't even sound like someone trying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Really? I've always thought it was very much in the realm of post-good Simpsons, though perhaps the best example of it. It came out shortly after the movie did, in 2008.

Most of the humor value comes from the videos and theming while you're waiting in line, which is mostly clips from Golden Age episodes like "Itchy & Scratchy Land". But also there's a lot of new bespoke interstitial stuff that feels like it fits right in texturally with all the good stuff.

What it does a really good job of is reminding you of when all of that was a thing, and what it felt like.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

bobjr posted:

That hardly sounds like Ned at all. Marge sounds worse and worse but Ned doesn't even sound like someone trying.

Shearer stopped caring about the show years ago, could hear in it Burns seasons back

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

bobjr posted:

I was genuinely going to ask if he had been recast at some point. He sounds tired, like there's no flair or fun inflections in his reading. He's just reading.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

He's been very vocal about the Simpsons only being a paycheck for him since the single digit seasons

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Simpsons from the outset was always a cynical product, not an artistic endeavour. The quality of the first few seasons is more a testament to Sam Simon and the original writers room they got together. Not just the people but the writing process and inertia of the ideas was good enough for a decade of great content.

Nostalgia largely blinds us to Bartmania and the sheer amount of merch and licensing deals that made the show a cultural juggernaut in the early 90s. The satirical nature of the show (even towards itself or its owners) has done a great deal to subvert its own legacy.

I can't blame the voice cast for only doing it for the money. Especially this far in when any creative spark has long faded. No matter the effort, you're getting paid and Fox/Disney are making a profit. The product will continue to be marketed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

zetamind2000 posted:

"It's just a slight heatwave"

I watched this for way too long and got a rogue wave, an ice circle, and meteors falling down the chimney.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
“It’s just a will…

… o’ the wisp!”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The line of thinking that led whatever writer to believe that Chalmers yelling "siinNNERRRS!!" like he's saying "SKINNER" is a good joke, egad

I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a gag

e: also wait a minute, is modern Simpsons still doubling down on the weird "Flanders as a teacher" / "prayer in schools is actually fine" stance that seemed so bizarre back in the day when it first happened

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Das Boo posted:

I watched this for way too long and got a rogue wave, an ice circle, and meteors falling down the chimney.

The Bermuda Triangle

https://clips.twitch.tv/HonorableRelentlessBisonPJSugar-VQAPahyhahFmEVsF

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This is the closest it will ever get to steamed hams

https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedSilkyCattleBabyRage-o6oOKz2q53kRTe0Q

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Data Graham posted:

The line of thinking that led whatever writer to believe that Chalmers yelling "siinNNERRRS!!" like he's saying "SKINNER" is a good joke, egad

I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a gag

It's one of those things where you can see the thought process clearly "Things sound alike", but you cannot for the life of you understand why someone would think it is funny.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I don’t know exactly how to articulate this, but is The Simpsons the laziest continued exploitation of a successful media IP?

Like I get it, media companies are going to milk their hit IPs for all they can get - Marvel, DC, Star Wars, HP, the Disney cannon, Roald Dahl, Mario, Pokémon, Call of Duty, Warcraft, etc. We’re going to get sequels, spin-offs, remakes, reboots for the rest of our goddamn lives.

But is The Simpsons unique in that their strategy to continue to exploit their IP is just… keep developing content for the original show forever?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

I don’t know exactly how to articulate this, but is The Simpsons the laziest continued exploitation of a successful media IP?

Like I get it, media companies are going to milk their hit IPs for all they can get - Marvel, DC, Star Wars, HP, the Disney cannon, Roald Dahl, Mario, Pokémon, Call of Duty, Warcraft, etc. We’re going to get sequels, spin-offs, remakes, reboots for the rest of our goddamn lives.

But is The Simpsons unique in that their strategy to continue to exploit their IP is just… keep developing content for the original show forever?

I mean they tried some spin offs (Wiggum PI, The Loveomatic Grandpa) but none of them seemed to stick

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halisnacks posted:

Wow looks like someone's never experienced the deep lore and compelling new characters from The Simpsons Tapped Out

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Familiarity is the one thing the Simpsons still has going for it. It's the only reason anyone tunes in to new episodes to keep the thing going. There's no clever jokes or character development, you're just there to see Disco Stu say "eyyyyy" and get that warm glow of knowing that that is indeed a thing that he says.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

No Dignity posted:

I mean they tried some spin offs (Wiggum PI, The Loveomatic Grandpa) but none of them seemed to stick

On a less joking note there's Futurama and Disenchantment.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

No Dignity posted:

The Simpson Family Smile-Time Variety Hour erasure is real.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On a less joking note there's Futurama and Disenchantment.

Does something being from the mind of the same creator mean it’s the same IP (appreciating there is the consistent Groening style)?

Star Wars and Indiana Jones aren’t the same franchise, for instance.

Although I guess I put “Roald Dahl” in my initial list so I’m not winning any consistency contests here.

Halisnacks fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 22, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Late Futurama is garbo and disenchantment threw away all its potential, so I'd say they follow the shared canon just fine

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

Star Wars and Indiana Jones aren’t the same franchise, for instance.

Looks like someone is ignoring those R2D2 and C3PO hieroglyphics in Raiders to suit their narrative.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
My only narrative is that the Simpsons is creative garbage in more ways than one: the content they churn out, as well as their IP strategy.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

IUG posted:

Looks like someone is ignoring those R2D2 and C3PO hieroglyphics in Raiders to suit their narrative.

R2D2 was also on One-Eyed Willy’s pirate ship at the end of The Goonies, along with being on the mothership in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

What I’m saying is R2 gets around.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Remember newspaper comics? I'd say those are the laziest ip revenue generators.
Someone somewhere is raking in the big bucks from Haggar the Horrible merch I'm sure

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Maaaaaaaaaaarge! You’re breaking my hearrrrt! Maaaaaaaaaarge!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

dont get on my bad side mate

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Wow looks like someone's never experienced the deep lore and compelling new characters from The Simpsons Tapped Out

Heh. Facebook just reminded me that ten years ago today, I became Neighbors in The Simpsons(tm) Tapped Out with my old buddy Jason. I wonder if he ever got enough donuts to buy the Duff Brewery?

And I still say Das Bus is the inflection point between Good Simpsons and Bad Simpsons.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We never came home, Bart. We died on that island. 20 years ago.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Heh. Facebook just reminded me that ten years ago today, I became Neighbors in The Simpsons(tm) Tapped Out with my old buddy Jason. I wonder if he ever got enough donuts to buy the Duff Brewery?

And I still say Das Bus is the inflection point between Good Simpsons and Bad Simpsons.

Season 9 as a whole is full of a lot of good gags that are surrounded by the sloppier style that will ultimately become the Simpson's downfall.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I accidentally watched the Simpsons the other day and the voices are so terrible now who's even paying attention to the bad stories?

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
Watched part of a newer episode the other day where Flanders had sex with a woman he barely knew and she was married to sideshow Mel. Ned Flanders yelled something like "youre a cuck?!"

Show seems to be doing fine.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, I saw the one where Lisa dreams of eating meat because of a viral infection and Krusty's kid stops her using a popular tiktok dance.

I'm pretty sure I made that up but same goes for the above post.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I saw one a week ago where Bart starts a fashion line with a child clone of The Weeknd

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The full episode summary doesn’t help explain things

The Rich Texan attempts to escape from a ruthless debt collector named Kostas Becker and his henchmen Seamus and Collette, but is captured and murdered for not paying his debt.

Later, Homer and Ned Flanders are collecting trash in the park when Ned stumbles down a hill and finds a bag containing over $173,296 in cash, which he donates to a local orphanage in the name of his grandfather, Sheriff Ned Flanders. Kostas finds out that Ned is the grandson of the former Sheriff, whom he killed over a debt. Kostas finds Ned at church and demands that he retrieve the money. Ned takes Barb, the director of the orphanage, on a date to a festival, and they return to her home to make out, but Ned leaves in disgust upon learning Barb is in an open marriage with Sideshow Mel.

Homer is captured by Seamus and Collette after they mistake him for Ned. Knowing they have captured the wrong man, Kostas calls Ned and threatens to kill Homer if Ned calls the police. Marge asks Ned if he knows where Homer is, but Ned lies and tells her that Homer left for Shelbyville.

Marge looks for Homer around Springfield and ends up at Lard Lad's donut shop while Kostas is eating breakfast there. After Seamus and Collette attack Comic Book Guy; Fat Tony and his minions Johnny Tightlips, Legs, and Louie confront Kosta and demand that he leave Springfield, but Kostas single-handedly kills them, which also results in the deaths of Disco Stu and Mr. Burns. Kostas spares Marge and leaves, but drops Homer's work ID on his way out, and Marge realizes Kostas has kidnapped Homer.

While Kostas tortures Homer, Ned prays at church, horrified at himself for the debt, for risking Homer's life and for making out with Barb.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

The full episode summary doesn’t help explain things

The Rich Texan attempts to escape from a ruthless debt collector named Kostas Becker and his henchmen Seamus and Collette, but is captured and murdered for not paying his debt.

Later, Homer and Ned Flanders are collecting trash in the park when Ned stumbles down a hill and finds a bag containing over $173,296 in cash, which he donates to a local orphanage in the name of his grandfather, Sheriff Ned Flanders. Kostas finds out that Ned is the grandson of the former Sheriff, whom he killed over a debt. Kostas finds Ned at church and demands that he retrieve the money. Ned takes Barb, the director of the orphanage, on a date to a festival, and they return to her home to make out, but Ned leaves in disgust upon learning Barb is in an open marriage with Sideshow Mel.

Homer is captured by Seamus and Collette after they mistake him for Ned. Knowing they have captured the wrong man, Kostas calls Ned and threatens to kill Homer if Ned calls the police. Marge asks Ned if he knows where Homer is, but Ned lies and tells her that Homer left for Shelbyville.

Marge looks for Homer around Springfield and ends up at Lard Lad's donut shop while Kostas is eating breakfast there. After Seamus and Collette attack Comic Book Guy; Fat Tony and his minions Johnny Tightlips, Legs, and Louie confront Kosta and demand that he leave Springfield, but Kostas single-handedly kills them, which also results in the deaths of Disco Stu and Mr. Burns. Kostas spares Marge and leaves, but drops Homer's work ID on his way out, and Marge realizes Kostas has kidnapped Homer.

While Kostas tortures Homer, Ned prays at church, horrified at himself for the debt, for risking Homer's life and for making out with Barb.

It is a Fargo parody hth

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zetamind2000 posted:

When [Shearer] dies the show will deepfake him for 80 more years
They should really start now. Kavner's voice is bad but it sounds like a more labored version of the original Marge voice. Shearer seems to have lost enough of the higher frequencies in his voice that he can't properly do Flanders anymore. That clip sounds about as much like Flanders as "You can change the voices and nobody will know the diddly-ifference!" (And I'm sure not giving any shits at all for the last 25 years probably doesn't help.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs3bXmPVy-U

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Animal Friend posted:

Nostalgia largely blinds us to Bartmania and the sheer amount of merch and licensing deals that made the show a cultural juggernaut in the early 90s.

oh the days of black bart t-shirts and "The Simpsons Sing the Blues" inexplicably selling millions of copies, even though 11 year old me wanted to turn inside out from secondhand embarrassment listening to it

PostNouveau posted:

That stupid game was mighty confusing to me in the time before FXX being The Simpsons Channel. "Carl's Icelandic? What the gently caress is a Grumple?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Ned accidentally joins the Mafia, then turns snitch when Lisa points out to him that he's in the Mafia.

It's bad. 3/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Ned accidentally joins the Mafia, then turns snitch when Lisa points out to him that he's in the Mafia.

It's bad. 3/10

Don't forget the gently caress you directly to the audience when the family laughs for like 5 minutes straight about how they "always thought it would be Homer that would have reached out to the mafia for help" (and it's Marge that says it! :bang:)