Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If I had Rowling money I'd open up a biolab to create a virus to specifically turn Alex Jones gay. It probably wouldn't work, but I'd release very public reports that work was ongoing.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

she's aiming at replacing churchill as the Greatest Englishman
At least Churchill spent the later bits of his life too piss drunk and high on opium to annoy people too much. It doesn't excuse what he did with the rest of his life but it's a better moral template than being terminally online.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What a nasty, hate-filled little country great Britain is becoming. Was it as bad as this before the brexit vote? I was abroad for most of a decade before that.
I remember a lot more stories in the years before about neo-nazis coming from Ukraine and nearby places and beating up Black kids and stabbing Muslim granddads to death to try and start a race war.

Some of them were transparent attempts to stir up poo poo between Eastern European and BAME communities, but others were depressingly true.

in the theme of

Jedit posted:

He opened it, and to his surprise a genie came out.
I wonder if any of those pricks thought "I hope a bunch of big fash lads come to my home town and bomb all the subhumans" and are now having some second thoughts about that.

e: The .280 British was a technically competent round that was scrapped by Churchill because he wanted to spaff a bunch of money on nuclear rockets instead.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

e: The .280 British was a technically competent round that was scrapped by Churchill because he wanted to spaff a bunch of money on nuclear rockets instead.

Well that and the Yanks didn't want us using it (until they did decide a lighter round was useful, a bit later, which is where we get 5.56 NATO that was basically the same idea. Thanks guys).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Could get Dornoch Castle for a cool £2.5m, or the price of a 3 bedroom house in parts or central London

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/85778667

You can buy an entire fort for the price of a cupboard in London and with Rowling money you could turn it into World TERF HQ.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126820367

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Z the IVth posted:

You can buy an entire fort for the price of a cupboard in London and with Rowling money you could turn it into World TERF HQ.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126820367

Aye, I suppose with Potter money you could refurb it nice & good. Nice headquarters for the Red Army of Dyfed, or RAD. With the added bonus you're not far from Fishguard & the ability to escape to Ireland

OK, here you go goons, this is it: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/131303015#/?channel=RES_BUY

£25,000 for a 1 room shack that used to be a telephone exchange. "It comes with its own rowan tree, planted to ward off witches". Upside, you get to live in one of the most fun places to say in the country that isn't also a rude word, Achiltibuie. Also you get gorgeous views across to the Summer Isles & the north west is absolutely gorgeous. Downsides, you get a dilapidated wooden shack, you're 30 miles from a train station as the crow flies but 55 miles drive & more than a little of that is going to be single track. Oh yeah, no running water hooked up to the site yet either. Still, at £25k it's cheaper than what my parents paid for a 3 bed 1 bath house with a decent sized garden in 1990!

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 21, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, that's the funniest/ saddest thing about it all: she's one of the few people in the world who has the opportunity to live her life in literally any way she likes, and she chooses to spend it in sour-faced Twitter posting and hating on trans people. Like, she's curled up in a massive sofa in a massive sitting room in some big loving mansion, obsessively searching her own name on Twitter, as a butler brings her tea and the daily newspaper on a silver platter (I assume that all rich people have butlers, like Lara Croft).

Elon Musk, who is orders of magnitude richer* than Rowling seems to have spent £44 Billion just to become the IT support person for a load of the worst people alive.
Like if you read the Musk thread here on SA, there are so many examples of how Musk appears to get tweets from people with names like Catturd02 about how he's not getting enough likes, and suddenly it becomes Musk's top priority.

How do you have that much money and you willingly subject yourself to such horrors?

* = In theory. His wealth is mostly speculative, unlike Rowling who legitimately sold a lot of books.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

forkboy84 posted:

Upside, you get to live in one of the most fun places to say in the country that isn't also a rude word, Achiltibuie.

My gran lives there (well, Polbain). We rent a house in Achiltibuie each year to visit.

It's got awfully touristy in recent times, though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Aye, I suppose with Potter money you could refurb it nice & good. Nice headquarters for the Red Army of Dyfed, or RAD. With the added bonus you're not far from Fishguard & the ability to escape to Ireland

OK, here you go goons, this is it: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/131303015#/?channel=RES_BUY

£25,000 for a 1 room shack that used to be a telephone exchange. "It comes with its own rowan tree, planted to ward off witches". Upside, you get to live in one of the most fun places to say in the country that isn't also a rude word, Achiltibuie. Also you get gorgeous views across to the Summer Isles & the north west is absolutely gorgeous. Downsides, you get a dilapidated wooden shack, you're 30 miles from a train station as the crow flies but 55 miles drive & more than a little of that is going to be single track. Oh yeah, no running water hooked up to the site yet either. Still, at £25k it's cheaper than what my parents paid for a 3 bed 1 bath house with a decent sized garden in 1990!

Ooh Summer Isles! Does it come with added pagan rituals, wicker men and human sacrifice?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

No, it comes with a Free Church & they disapprove of anything that may be regarded as fun

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Question IRL posted:

Elon Musk, who is orders of magnitude richer* than Rowling seems to have spent £44 Billion just to become the IT support person for a load of the worst people alive.
Like if you read the Musk thread here on SA, there are so many examples of how Musk appears to get tweets from people with names like Catturd02 about how he's not getting enough likes, and suddenly it becomes Musk's top priority.

How do you have that much money and you willingly subject yourself to such horrors?

* = In theory. His wealth is mostly speculative, unlike Rowling who legitimately sold a lot of books.

When I was in India at my work's offshore callcentre, I got talking to one of the staff. This guy owned an ostrich farm which employed 10 farmhands and a manager who oversaw the farm's day to day running. The profit from the farm was essentially passive income for him, and he lived in a luxury flat in an upmarket part of the city.

And yet, this guy willingly went to work every day in a loving call centre, to speak to people in the UK about stuff that happened thousands of miles away from him. His explanation was "If I didn't have something to do, I'd just drink".

:psyduck:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Reveilled posted:

When I was in India at my work's offshore callcentre, I got talking to one of the staff. This guy owned an ostrich farm which employed 10 farmhands and a manager who oversaw the farm's day to day running. The profit from the farm was essentially passive income for him, and he lived in a luxury flat in an upmarket part of the city.

And yet, this guy willingly went to work every day in a loving call centre, to speak to people in the UK about stuff that happened thousands of miles away from him. His explanation was "If I didn't have something to do, I'd just drink".

:psyduck:

I mean, I'm sure he could've found something better to do with his time, but that's a lot more common than you think

And hobbies don't really fill the same niche, because they're self-directed and you'd probably just sack them off to drink anyway

Alcoholism is a bitch

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Guavanaut posted:

At least Churchill spent the later bits of his life too piss drunk and high on opium to annoy people too much. It doesn't excuse what he did with the rest of his life but it's a better moral template than being terminally online.
Sounds a bit like Lowtax really

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Are these rich people so unimaginative that they can't even figure out poo poo to do with all this money?

Don't tell me it's hard because I've already got 4 pages

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My boss is the sort to work up till 8pm at night and resume working at 7am and it sounds really harsh but I can only think people work like that to reduce the time they are staring at a wine glass

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

I mean, I'm sure he could've found something better to do with his time, but that's a lot more common than you think

And hobbies don't really fill the same niche, because they're self-directed and you'd probably just sack them off to drink anyway

Alcoholism is a bitch

When did people lose the ability to enjoy doing nothing? It's great. It never gets old.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gone are the days when you could just go to a club or coffee shop or any other third space and find like minded people with time on their hands to chat to or play games with on any random day

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why would you willingly go seek out other people

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

When did people lose the ability to enjoy doing nothing? It's great. It never gets old.

Do you mean literally nothing, or do you mean, like, playing games or watching telly or whatever

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

So when I win the lottery (might take a while since I don't play it) I'll buy Dornoch Castle and turn it into UKMTHQ

"Do you have stairs in your castle?"

"Yea, I am protected by stone walls and arrow slits"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I would simply just play guitar. In fact sometimes instead of working I wander away from my desk for a while and play a little bit of guitar, it's nice

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My boss is the sort to work up till 8pm at night and resume working at 7am and it sounds really harsh but I can only think people work like that to reduce the time they are staring at a wine glass

My brother aka Tory Boy is a partner in a professional firm with one other.
He has wanted to quit for several years but the other partner had a very expensive messy divorce and works those sort of hours 7 days a week (probably for the reasons you postulate) and expected TB to do the same. TB was becoming quite ill with it but finally managed to give notice (which is several years - not just a few weeks) when he got a cancer diagnosis and to start training a successor. (No point working 24/7 and being filthy rich if you're never going to enjoy the fruits of your labour).

It's a bit more complicated for partners to quit than straightforward employees but I don't know the ins and outs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Do you mean literally nothing, or do you mean, like, playing games or watching telly or whatever

Bit of both. Doing nothing important, just enjoying leisure time. Sometimes I'll just go outside and chill on a bench overlooking the sea. Not for long, half an hour or so, it's good

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

I lost it around the time I spent the best part of ten years mostly unemployed. If I won the lottery I might open a shop and not care too much about making a profit, but the idea of being idle rich is awful.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
At least some of the performative oh-it's-just-so-boring-having-all-this-leisure-time poo poo is an op, btw. If a richie-rich is suffering with ennui, what are you gonna do with a four-day week, pleb? Best just keep working your 60 hours and get paid for 40, there's a good peon.

It's infantilising the-devil-makes-work-for-idle-hands moralising. Go to four-day weeks, people will figure it out, I promise.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
This is what pisses me off about the mega wealthy. If I was rich the depravity and wild ambition of my ideas would go down in history. I’d be having coke fuelled orgies in space, inventing new psychedelics, going to cities and declaring everyone’s drinks on me for the night, commission a loving personal mech suit, skydive on Buckingham palace because gently caress you I’ll pay my way out of it. I’d have a pet loving bear. I’d learn to kitesurf and do all that poo poo. I’d build a submarine to rival James Cameron. That would just be the start.

gently caress, wealth is wasted on these boring cunts

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've got a laundry list of things that I'd do with stupid Euromillions style money. Starting or funding a Rewilding project for a start.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have literally never in my life thought “gently caress, I could really go for some sitting at my desk in front of a spreadsheet right now, it’s sucks that I’m doing *anything else* instead”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Probably around the same time as

forkboy84 posted:

No, it comes with a Free Church & they disapprove of anything that may be regarded as fun

If you can have fun doing nothing then Prod Jesus gets super angry.

Drinkslinger posted:

Sounds a bit like Lowtax really
Prevented from being an abusive poo poo by the power of narcotics and expensive biscuits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will have the time off if nobody else wants it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have literally never in my life thought “gently caress, I could really go for some sitting at my desk in front of a spreadsheet right now, it’s sucks that I’m doing *anything else* instead”

Which returns us to the original point: being rich means you get to do what you want to do instead of what someone else wants you to do.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Also, do not be under any illusions that the idle rich, of whatever stripe, are having a bad time of it. They are loving life. You hear about the nutjobs and space cases and the pills and the booze and the divorces and the car crashes and the estrangements and and and and cos it makes news, but the vast majority are better than fine. The ones who make the news get into that poo poo cos they're either terrible people generally or they make bad decisions, not because they don't "work".

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

A friend of mine works at a hedge fund, and the founder is there five days a week, working full time hours.

His net worth is £1.25 bn.

Just...... why?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Because they're hedging it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Define ‘working’

At the company I quit in October the multi-millionaire CEO came in every day, clocked in 9-5, and then just wandered around or disappeared entirely for hours at a time, which was ‘work’.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Red Oktober posted:

A friend of mine works at a hedge fund, and the founder is there five days a week, working full time hours.

His net worth is £1.25 bn.

Just...... why?

I've edited more interviews with senior members in finance and banking than I can think of and let me tell you, they are weird, alien people who exist solely for making a profit. Not what that money can buy, just the concept of putting 50 in and getting 60+ back.

It is loving nuts how utterly myopic they are about this.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

I feel like Graeber's Bullshit Jobs should be required reading, honestly. So many people getting sanctimonious about how 'busy' they are pushing numbers around a spreadsheet or dealing with mailing out or opening and filing a paper system that doesn't need to be there.

For all AI automation is bad*, there absolutely are a ton of people who's job could be fulfilled by a halfway competent mail merge, and they're largely the ones getting shittiest about 'layabouts' and 'spongers.'

That's the thing that gets me, that it's somehow more 'virtuous' for me to spend over half my life cosplaying the intro to the Stanley Parable than it is to enjoy this world of technological wonders and so called pinnacle of modern neoliberalism.

What the gently caress is the point of any of this if we don't have time to enjoy it?

* I have a whole seperate rant about how so many of the tasks being automated are things disabled people used to be able to eke out a living at, and now some turd at MIT is driving down the financial compensation by flooding the market, but I feel like this post is already getting away from me.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can't wait for the NHS to just be a Tesco Self Checkout -

"Are you ill?"
*presses Yes*
"Please press yes to continue"
*presses Yes*
"An error has occurred an assistant will be with you shortly"

-No assistants come because everything is automated.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Diet Crack posted:

Can't wait for the NHS to just be a Tesco Self Checkout -

"Are you ill?"
*presses Yes*
"Please press yes to continue"
*presses Yes*
"An error has occurred an assistant will be with you shortly"

-No assistants come because everything is automated.

This is happening.

Yesterday I wanted to book a GP appointment. After navigating the phone menu, waited on hold 45 minutes to speak to the receptionist, then the earliest appointment was six weeks away.

I fondly remember when I thought two weeks was a long time to wait.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*dies*
"Unexpected item in bagging area."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

frytechnician posted:

I've edited more interviews with senior members in finance and banking than I can think of and let me tell you, they are weird, alien people who exist solely for making a profit. Not what that money can buy, just the concept of putting 50 in and getting 60+ back.

It is loving nuts how utterly myopic they are about this.

It's basically Cookie clicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I can understand the idea of a millionaire/billionaire working a job.
Maybe their mind needs a structure that they can't give themselves.
Maybe they need imposed limits to enjoy free time. (A holiday is only a holiday if you ha e specific non working days.)
Perhaps they have a form of mental illness/greed where they want to make money for the sake of making money.

I'm not saying any of these things are good, but they at least make sense.

The point I was getting at are the Musks and Rowlings of the world don't even have that excuse. They just need the attention of millions of people to tell them, "You are a genuis and right about everything. "

And even one person saying "I don't think you are right"* is enough to drive them mad and earn all their focus.

* = Not even full-on troll them. They can filter that out and block them. But someone only being 62% on their side is enough to mess up their day.