Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I mean, it’s pretty clear who has kids in the past 15 posts and who doesn’t.

I don’t need buyers protection on my weekly payment to a little sweet old lady and her sister. If I thought there might be a chance I would, I wouldn’t have chosen her in the first place.

Back to the original topic: gently caress the Zelle app and their 3-minute login

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't have a kid but this sounds like something that would turn me off from that particular daycare if I had a kid. If they're going to skip out on business related expenses/paperwork like this what else are they doing?

It’s very funny to me that you think you would have options like “go somewhere else” or “work with the kid around”.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean it sounds pretty clear why their Venmo got suspended if they wanted you to PayPal them a business transaction but marked as a "gift" to avoid surcharges and taxation purposes.

I don't have a kid but this sounds like something that would turn me off from that particular daycare if I had a kid. If they're going to skip out on business related expenses/paperwork like this what else are they doing?

Turns out in a lot of cases you don't have a choice. Like your other choice is to take your kid to work or quit your job.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

when my kid was younger he went to what was considered an extremely affordable daycare that cost as much as the rent on our house

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Warbird posted:

It’s very funny to me that you think you would have options like “go somewhere else” or “work with the kid around”.

The first and only time I thought I could work while my 2 year old stayed home was very humbling. It turns out him wanting to hit all the keys on my keyboard, touch my laptop screen because he's used to everything being a tablet, or just wave to everyone on my call the entire time I use it, does in fact get in the way.

You just have to hope they get sick enough that you can throw Bluey on and they don't want to move off the couch.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I hear the word “daycare” I think of like a registered business with a rented workspace in a building, with like custom made signage, insurance, employees, and the works. In that sense I would totally be weirded out if they wanted me to “gift” them money so that they could avoid losing a 2% or whatever cut over setting up a business account.

But the way you are describing daycare makes it sound more like “person you trust with your kids at their homes” which sounds more like babysitting? I dunno. Either way, this situation I wouldn’t be weirded out at all for them wanting to not set up a business account for business transactions.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
A LOT of parents use the latter because the former is booked for six to twelve months and they need childcare NOW.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I hear the word “daycare” I think of like a registered business with a rented workspace in a building, with like custom made signage, insurance, employees, and the works. In that sense I would totally be weirded out if they wanted me to “gift” them money so that they could avoid losing a 2% or whatever cut over setting up a business account.

Yes these can afford the 2% because,

Weedle posted:

when my kid was younger he went to what was considered an extremely affordable daycare that cost as much as the rent on our house

Everyone I know with younger kids in “daycare” legit spends thousands a month on it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

But the way you are describing daycare makes it sound more like “person you trust with your kids at their homes” which sounds more like babysitting? I dunno. Either way, this situation I wouldn’t be weirded out at all for them wanting to not set up a business account for business transactions.

Yeah, in my case it's an older lady in her own home watching X number of kids, fully within the legal ratio. She is a legit registered business/daycare with the county and all that, has a proper tax ID, gives us weekly payment receipts, and gives us tax forms at the end of the year. I trust her with my toddlers enough to where I know she's not just going to pack up and take off with my weekly payment. I can see why her Venmo/Paypal accounts were limited/locked, but there's pretty much no reason to just freely give Paypal/Venmo 5% or whatever of the 10s of thousands of dollars I pay a year to her. The payment protection is unnecessary in my case. I'm just frustrated in the Zelle app sucking rear end every Monday morning and having it's weekly limit so low.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 16, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's certainly a spectrum from babysitter to daycare with A LOT of illegal operations in the middle. While I personally think a legitimate business when I hear daycare I also interact with a handful of small businesses and how they maintain their business from a legal and payroll perspective can be an absolute crapshoot, regardless of the industry.

I have two kids in daycare and it costs us $441/week. This is a legit business with a license and state-mandated maximum number of kids per employee. That being said the employees are a mix of the owner, her daughter in law, and then whoever they can get. The latter spans from retired teachers to college age kids that sit on their phone.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

A LOT of parents use the latter because the former is booked for six to twelve months and they need childcare NOW.

We’re at 18 months so far and the earliest possible chance we have of getting a spot is August and then only maybe.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Dumbarse. Protection on payments always seems pointless, until something unexpected happens.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well if your kid is maimed / killed I doubt you’ll be itching to go claw that $400 back

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
I know there are a million markdown editors for iOS, but is there a nice one that would allow me to access the iCloud folder for iA Writer that doesn't cost £50? I have iA Writer for the Mac and like it a lot, but can't justify spending the money on the iOS version. Being able to access those files (and edit, obvs) on the go now and then would be handy, though...

e: typewriter scrolling would be nice

HorseHeadBed fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 21, 2023

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Panda, the new editor for Bear, has much better Markdown support, is lovely to use, and can open files anywhere in iCloud Drive.

https://beta.bear.app/t/panda-for-ios-welcome-to/1088

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone have a good iPhone app to maintain a list of dated entries? Like if I want to keep track of my car maintenance in one place, but doesn’t need to be car specific. Notes app kind of supports this but not really date focused.

Violator
May 15, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Panda, the new editor for Bear, has much better Markdown support, is lovely to use, and can open files anywhere in iCloud Drive.

https://beta.bear.app/t/panda-for-ios-welcome-to/1088

It feels like this editor has been in alpha and development for years. Shocked they just now announced iOS testing. I’ve long since moved to other apps like Craft and Taio.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

smackfu posted:

Anyone have a good iPhone app to maintain a list of dated entries? Like if I want to keep track of my car maintenance in one place, but doesn’t need to be car specific. Notes app kind of supports this but not really date focused.
I just make a separate calendar for maintenance stuff and add things to that. Then you can e.g add an entry for next year’s service with a two-week reminder to actually call and book the thing.

E: if you do want a dates-based thing with more capability I remember Agenda being good, though it’s been years since I’ve used it.

TACD fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 21, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, that’s a clever solution. Add notes to the calendar, not dates to the notes.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

smackfu posted:

I needed something like this and just made a shortcut that would append to a specific note with the current date/time and prompted for a message next to it, if you don’t need anything too complicated.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

smackfu posted:

Ah, that’s a clever solution. Add notes to the calendar, not dates to the notes.

Carfax Car Care might be helpful too. It was recommended elsewhere on the forums, and I just set it up myself. Pretty handy with a good overview of when basic items are due. Will try to give it a bit more of a deep dive too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve been moving off of gmail to icloud for my mail, but I would like something that does the auto filtering that gmail does. Any options for this without using another provider like spark?

I guess what I really want is server side filters which iCloud doesn’t have.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

priznat posted:

I’ve been moving off of gmail to icloud for my mail, but I would like something that does the auto filtering that gmail does. Any options for this without using another provider like spark?

I guess what I really want is server side filters which iCloud doesn’t have.
If you have an always on mac I think you can execute rules.

I checked out Shortcuts to see what you can do with emails. Well you can't really do anything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, no Mac to run and the rules for automation are reeeeally limited.

It’s disappointing that the icloud web is so basic.. if it even had some ability to filter and sort emails it would make moving off gmail way easier.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I recommend paying for Fastmail. It's good

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Oh I hadn’t heard of that one, it looks interesting. I will try out the trial. I had used spark way back when and it seemed good too. $50/year seems reasonable for a good email service.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

priznat posted:

Oh I hadn’t heard of that one, it looks interesting. I will try out the trial. I had used spark way back when and it seemed good too. $50/year seems reasonable for a good email service.

I don't know if spark offers email service but I had some privacy concerns although I enjoyed using the app for a week to read my fastmail account; it was better than any other iOS or mac mail app imo. They rewrote the app recently and I hear it sucks now.

Besides the existing privacy concerns, they're in Ukraine and Russian cyberattacks there "surged by 250% in 2022 when compared to two years ago," and well I'm sorry fellas I hope it works out for your company.

I have used fastmail for like a decade, it's got a great rules system and can be used with basically any email client.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah iirc there was some privacy concerns with Spark (this was well before the hostilities too) and I didn’t feel like it would be a good move. They seem to have got a GDPR stamp of approval on their site so perhaps it is ok now. Fastmail still looks more compelling though.

Would it work ok to forward icloud to fastmail as well? Just to keep using that email.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

priznat posted:

Would it work ok to forward icloud to fastmail as well? Just to keep using that email.

Probably, I forward my old school e-mail address there and some filtered ones from my gmail.

1Password has an integration with them to create masked emails too (also you can create your own email aliases like yourusername@one-of-their-domains.tld)

I still use the iCloud separately for signing up to random bullshit and that has also improved a lot with hide my email, which does the same thing and seems to work in more auto fill boxes than 1Password on safari mobile.

Violator
May 15, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Yep, I switched from Gmail to FastMail when they started phasing out the old business plans and I’m super happy with FastMail.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Really liking the app and the filter options! Was super easy importing too. Lots of options for mail accounts.

Do they ever do sales on Black Friday etc to top up?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I love fastmail, though as far as I can tell it doesn't have a feature to automatically sort emails into promotions/social/updates buckets, which I miss, though I completely understand why a privacy-focused provider wouldn't offer that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Clark Nova posted:

I love fastmail, though as far as I can tell it doesn't have a feature to automatically sort emails into promotions/social/updates buckets, which I miss, though I completely understand why a privacy-focused provider wouldn't offer that

I know what you mean. I do get a lot of mileage from making a white list of email addresses for Real poo poo and letting email addresses to any others go to a different folder. Filtering by "unsubscribe" or "subscription preferences" has helped too.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

You can do a lot of good things with Sieve if you're willing to put in the time, but your mileage may vary (and be careful so you don't accidentally delete all your incoming emails)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
This and earlier email discussions have always left me wondering what you mean by filtering and how you’re using your email clients? Am I missing out in a fancy feature that would improve my life or do you people deal with a lot more emails than I do?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Xabi posted:

This and earlier email discussions have always left me wondering what you mean by filtering and how you’re using your email clients? Am I missing out in a fancy feature that would improve my life or do you people deal with a lot more emails than I do?

Gmail automatically sorts promotional emails/notifications from social media into separate inboxes. So if you've got tons of newsletters/updates for an app you signed up for and used one like a decade ago, they get filtered away to pages you never need to look at and you end up with a nice clean primary inbox of actual emails.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

People will spend hours setting up complicated email filters instead of just clicking the “unsubscribe” button on the newsletters they don’t want.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I recently spent about 4 hours straight doing just that and it’s pretty liberating. Deleted something like 6k emails across all my accounts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Applying tags to things as they arrive is great. And it’s cool how fastmail lets you set auto delete on folders/tags after a period of time, so I don’t have newsletters from 2 years still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FCKGW posted:

People will spend hours setting up complicated email filters instead of just clicking the “unsubscribe” button on the newsletters they don’t want.

Someone on Something Awful suggested an email filter with “unsubscribe” in the text and I immediately went :aaaaa: at how well that works.