Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

bowser posted:

I'm looking for a book on the historical development of anti-communism and the Red Scare.

I'm not intimately familiar with the literature but here are a couple suggestions:

American Midnight from Adam Hochschild is new and is fun to read because Hochschild is a great writer.

The American Liberals and the Russian Revolution by Christopher Lasch is a bit more subversive and a great read, but a bit more of a potted take. This is not directly on the red scare, but I love Christopher Lasch so obviously I think you should read this, if you are gonna read anything.

Spider Web The Birth of American Anticommunism by Nick Fischer is a more comprehensive overview but maybe spends a bit too much time on right anticommunism and not enough on liberal anticommunism.

Beverley Gage has some stuff that might be up your alley.

Andrew Hartman has a book on American marxism that is coming out soonish, so that would also be something to check out.

I would also note that there was also a mini red scare in the united states following the Paris Commune, so you might want to start your journey earlier than the ww1 red scare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Looking for a book to read as a prelude to Caro's LBJ books, it turns out the most comprehensive-looking JFK biography has no ebook available. Here comes another delivery...

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Which one is that?

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
In college, I read We Must Not Be Afraid to Be Free and Founding Faith, which gave context and history to the first amendment (original conditions which led to its development, and major rulings after). Are there a similar history books about the second amendment?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

In college, I read We Must Not Be Afraid to Be Free and Founding Faith, which gave context and history to the first amendment (original conditions which led to its development, and major rulings after). Are there a similar history books about the second amendment?

You could do worse than reading some of the historian briefs from Heller/McDonald and the primary and secondary sources they cite. (Public copies of a number have been lost to bitrot, unfortunately, so you'd have to use a legal research service to pull them.)

https://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/08-1521_amicus%20Legal%20Historians.pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/20100703...LegScholars.pdf

One of the better legal history articles (shorter than a book, if that's of interest) on the topic is Carl Bogus's Hidden History of the Second Amendment. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1465114 . If you read it, you'll note that obviously things have changed in the law since it was written 20+ years ago, but you'll also see hints in Bogus's piece about what eventually happened.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Put in a request for shattered sword this week.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011

Kalman posted:

You could do worse than reading some of the historian briefs from Heller/McDonald and the primary and secondary sources they cite. (Public copies of a number have been lost to bitrot, unfortunately, so you'd have to use a legal research service to pull them.)

https://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/08-1521_amicus%20Legal%20Historians.pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/20100703...LegScholars.pdf

One of the better legal history articles (shorter than a book, if that's of interest) on the topic is Carl Bogus's Hidden History of the Second Amendment. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1465114 . If you read it, you'll note that obviously things have changed in the law since it was written 20+ years ago, but you'll also see hints in Bogus's piece about what eventually happened.

Anything less academic?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Does anyone have any recommendations for a broad history of Mongolia, prior to the appearance of Mr Khan?
I'm particularly in anything that delves into the pre-Mongolian Empire social and cultural behaviours - how the people saw the world around them (and their place in it); how they interacted with each other; what they saw as the role of men and women; what did they believe, etc.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picked up shattered sword from the library today and good god is it dense.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It was the first history book written for adults I ever read in my life. For my part I found it incredibly breezy and approachable despite knowing little about the course of the first six months of the Pacific War.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Lawman 0 posted:

Picked up shattered sword from the library today and good god is it dense.

It's definitely thick, very good though.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
For my whole life beforehand I had been too intimidated by the adult histories' thickness and afraid that they would be full of arcane economic and political theory concepts to try them. So the book really opened a whole new world for me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FPyat posted:

It was the first history book written for adults I ever read in my life. For my part I found it incredibly breezy and approachable despite knowing little about the course of the first six months of the Pacific War.

Yeah it's well written but there is just alot to absorb on every page.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
My knowledge of the battle previously came from Battlestations: Midway on the Xbox 360, so there were quite a many revelations. I will however say that Roland Emmerich's Midway movie does benefit from having read the book.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and they had two big rear end hardcover books about Waco in the new releases section. Waco by Jeff Guin and Waco Rising by Kevin Cook

Are either of those any good?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can anyone suggest a good book on the planning of the D-Day landings? Not so much the landings themselves or the Normandy campaign just all the planning and logistics involved?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Neptune by Craig L. Symonds has decidedly more to say than the books focused on the land warfare.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks, that looks like exactly what I was hoping for.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just got to the part where the Japanese were wargaming midway.
One word: lol

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

fuf posted:

Can anyone suggest a good book on the planning of the D-Day landings? Not so much the landings themselves or the Normandy campaign just all the planning and logistics involved?

Speaking of absurd logistical miracles, anyone know of a good book on the logistics of the war in the pacific? I've seen some bits of what the US did to fight a war across a few thousand miles of ocean and it looks nuts (see here for an example), so I'd love to learn more.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
My local library did have a copy of the volume of the official history of the war in the pacific dedicated to logistics. Unfortunately, I think it was the kind of history that goes "we built a base here, and moved some ships about, and so on."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lawman 0 posted:

Just got to the part where the Japanese were wargaming midway.
One word: lol

Is that in Shattered Sword? This page suggests that the only source for the existence of that war game was Fuchida Mitsuo, and I'm pretty sure I've heard Jonathan Parshall say that he thinks Fuchida is generally full of poo poo, so I'd be surprised to see it repeated uncritically...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FPyat posted:

My local library did have a copy of the volume of the official history of the war in the pacific dedicated to logistics. Unfortunately, I think it was the kind of history that goes "we built a base here, and moved some ships about, and so on."

As opposed to the "a person did this, then they did that, and so on" type of history?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Is that in Shattered Sword? This page suggests that the only source for the existence of that war game was Fuchida Mitsuo, and I'm pretty sure I've heard Jonathan Parshall say that he thinks Fuchida is generally full of poo poo, so I'd be surprised to see it repeated uncritically...

They do have an account of it in Shattered Sword, but I don't think they cite Mitsuo at all for their description of how the wargame transpired.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

withak posted:

As opposed to the "a person did this, then they did that, and so on" type of history?

You have clearly never read any military logistical histories. Those things are extremely focused on when new shipping depots opened and how much tonnage of materiel could be moved through them, and how much that affected the overall tonnage reaching the front, and how much was being held back for the push on this island for a battle that ended up not happening, and so on.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I thought he was drawing on another source since the entire thing of this book is that "oh man guys I got the personal papers of the general staff" and I thought he was getting handed new stuff from his Japanese colleagues.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Moreau posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a broad history of Mongolia, prior to the appearance of Mr Khan?
I'm particularly in anything that delves into the pre-Mongolian Empire social and cultural behaviours - how the people saw the world around them (and their place in it); how they interacted with each other; what they saw as the role of men and women; what did they believe, etc.

I only read the sections on ancient history so I'm not sure how far it directly covers the groups that would become the Mongols, but The Cambridge History of Early Inner Asia is about the broad region's pre-Mongol Empire history. It's archaeology heavy but that's going to be inevitable for anything pre-Genghis. Conversely if ancient stuff is actually your jam, I'd heartily recommend Ancient China and its Enemies, which goes pretty comprehensively over the formation of a lot of the steppe/sinic cultural divides that would go on to define most of the histories of the two regions for most of their history.

Worth noting there's also a 2-part Cambridge History of the Mongol Empire out this July that I imagine will be a lot closer to what you're looking for (it'll doubtless have a bunch on pre-Genghisid stuff); their recent volumes make a conscious effort to pay attention to social/gender histories even where evidence is thin in a way they did not back in the 1990s.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 22, 2023

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

withak posted:

As opposed to explaining on a higher level of abstraction things like management techniques, technologies, planning methods.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finally reached the part of Peter the Great where he sets off on his grand embassy. 900 page books really are something - making you read a whole novel's worth and only scratch the surface.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FPyat posted:

Finally reached the part of Peter the Great where he sets off on his grand embassy. 900 page books really are something - making you read a whole novel's worth and only scratch the surface.

Honestly I don't really know about that other than he like stole the Dutch ship designs.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Turns out the Dutch were very eager to share everything they knew about shipbuilding, in order to improve trade relations with Russia.

Edit: But Dutch design by intuition was of limited use to teaching Russian shipwrights, so he turned to England instead.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 1, 2023

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Massie spends 250 pages building up a picture of a friendly, curious young man, then boom, he hits you with the purpose built facility with fourteen torture chambers for mutineers.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Well he was still a Russian autocrat

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've read Imagined Communities (Benedict Anderson) and The Discovery of France (Graham Robb), both were very interesting despite the difference in style. Would love any recommendations of readable histories of nations coming into being as nations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

distortion park posted:

I've read Imagined Communities (Benedict Anderson) and The Discovery of France (Graham Robb), both were very interesting despite the difference in style. Would love any recommendations of readable histories of nations coming into being as nations.

I recommend Linda Colley's Britons: Forging the Nation 1707-1837 as a classic example of the genre.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://twitter.com/ClementsAustinJ/status/1631353029495758848?s=20

sube
Nov 7, 2022

distortion park posted:

"Peasants into Frenchmen" is a very good book about this topic

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Does anyone have any recommendations for a general survey of Soviet history?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a general survey of Soviet history?

If you want a thick expensive in-depth textbook, Ronald Grigor Suny's The Soviet Experiment. If you want a short, readable, cheap survey, Sheila Fitzpatrick's The Shortest History of the Soviet Union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm looking for some books about Tbe Franklin Expedition and stuff about Artic and Anarctic exploration in general