Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I subscribe to like 130 YouTube channels and my subscriber pane is just all of their videos in chronological order :confused:

The home tab is a completely worthless mass of unrelated videos and auto generated playlists but the subscribed list is just the videos from the people I follow

That's really where the problem lies. Only like 30% of views are subscribers, everything else is The Algorithm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Offler posted:

Youtube is apparently so weirdly proud of their lovely algorithm that it now sabotages its own search page with algorithmic nonsese. Seriously, searching for videos where you don't remember the title or the creator has now become remarkably frustrating since the site will only show you 2-3 videos at a time before you need to scroll past 4-5 "for you" or "previously watched" videos that have nothing at all to do with your search terms.

I like the part where youtube search only returns about 10 results then just shows recommended bullshit that has nothing to do with your search.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bottom Liner posted:

I like the part where youtube search only returns about 10 results then just shows recommended bullshit that has nothing to do with your search.

Nor can it handle its own filters, like sort by date will not show new stuff that's visible in the other view, and god help you if you use "within last week" or similar. I wish a search-focused company owned Youtube.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Don't worry I hear the video algo at X.com will be lit 🔥🔥🔥🔥🤣🤣

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've somehow managed to keep my youtube algorithm unpoisoned and it just recommends me cat videos, music, and video games.

not for a lack of effort on its part, I once tried to look up a bojack horseman clip and it insisted that the second most relevant result was some garbage chat between Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Ben Shapiro, and I couldn't even hit the "never reccommend this poo poo" button because it was a search result

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

priznat posted:

Youtube sickens me with their bullshit, i watched and liked Jim Stephanie Sterling’s heartfelt, powerful video on the hogwart’s legacy game and it decided it needed to recommend a matt loving walsh video what the everloving christ.

Yup, for the longest time JSS's videos wouldn't show up for me even though I had subscribed and clicked the bell and all that crap. I thought they retired. Her HL video was loving harrowing, made me refund the game (I stupidly thought that I'd 'minimized harm' by donating the same amount of money to an organization that assists trans people, because On ThE wEbSiTe of HL theY sAiD JK RoWling Is NoT pArT of ThE prOcEss. After the video I just donated that money as well.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Songbearer posted:

Don't worry I hear the video algo at X.com will be lit 🔥🔥🔥🔥🤣🤣

I hear those guys take potshots at illegal aliens though.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

gschmidl posted:

As always when Youtube comes up, I'll recommend the Blocktube extension, which can be wielded with blunt force to make the site bearable again.

You can block shorts, playlists, videos under or over a certain length, any channel or video containing any keyword or regex you like and, of course, specific channels and videos, and more.

I also recommend Clickbait Remover for YouTube. It switches out the thumbnails to an image from the video and decapitalizes the titles. So a video called "You will NEVER believe THIS! CRAZY neighbour HANGS DONG" becomes "your will never believe this! crazy neighbour hangs dong".

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

You guys are just now discovering the changes Youtube made in 2015. The algorithm hasn't changed any since then, when they removed "related videos" as a concept.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Turbinosamente posted:

Wtf, that's how gamergate started? poo poo I feel like I'm getting trolled. All I ever knew was the initial fallout: a bunch of terrible, mostly male, people suddenly extremely mad that women make, review, and play video games too.

Yes, but as others have said, it was just the match that lit the powder.

Places like reddit had already spent a couple years getting young men frothingly angry over feminists and "SJW"s at that point. GamerGate wouldn't have existed without spaces like /r/TumblrInAction, which subsisted entirely on "it might not be true but it says a lot that I thought it was" style thinking in response to the nonstop trolling they fell for.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Prettz posted:

You guys are just now discovering the changes Youtube made in 2015. The algorithm hasn't changed any since then, when they removed "related videos" as a concept.

Yeah, the biggest thing is selectively purging your watch history, because the algorithm is hard-wired to use ~hIsToRy~ to determine your recommendations, and just one odd video on the list will throw off the results. I had to dig through three dozen videos just to find the strange one out that caused 80% of my recommends to change to "WATCH this LOGIC man DUNK on WOKE SJWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and as soon as I cleared it, the recommends was cat vids again.

Ebaum Musk is just RILED that his tweety algorithm can't dump him into everyone's feeds without also dumping the sweet, sweet dis tracks that result. :lol:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I had to look up a YouTube video just to learn how to block Fox News. They really didn't want to make it easy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The best part of these dumb algorithms is that they pick based off history and they also autoplay based off the algorithm at the end of the video.

So say you have a job that involves working all night and you come home to doze off to some stupid youtube video? The algorithm literally sets itself. I pretty much just ignore its suggestions at this point.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
"Elon's politics are complicated...."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1627807178110169091?cxt=HHwWhsCz4aCAkZctAAAA

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1627922809069371394?cxt=HHwWhICwxe7KxZctAAAA

Edit:

Oh boy, yet ANOTHER one!

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1627098945359867904

This one's a bit funnier than the others, because it's literally just Matt whining about how no one loving cares.

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1627098952699981826

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 21, 2023

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is funny because I learned how scummy and disreputable both the games industry and the gaming press industry were years before gamergate from listening to James Stephanie Sterling's various horror stories about their time working at The Escapist and Destructoid and how they were blacklisted by game publishers from receiving review copies of games because they would do the unspeakable thing of voicing their honest opinion and calling bad video games bad sometimes.

So when people started screeching "This is all about ethics in video games journalism!", and I was like "Okay, so what are you going to do to help reform this cess pit?" and when the answer was "GET TURBO MAD AT AND TRY TO MURDER WOMEN!" I just laughed my rear end off.

wait- this is the same escapist that employs yahtzee? is he the only one who gets a pass to poo poo on games from major publishers?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

PIZZA.BAT posted:

wait- this is the same escapist that employs yahtzee? is he the only one who gets a pass to poo poo on games from major publishers?

Well he is a cis white dude who is usually angry funny so gamers (tm) tend to give him a pass even though he's not a gamer (tm)

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Mistle posted:

Yeah, the biggest thing is selectively purging your watch history, because the algorithm is hard-wired to use ~hIsToRy~ to determine your recommendations, and just one odd video on the list will throw off the results. I had to dig through three dozen videos just to find the strange one out that caused 80% of my recommends to change to "WATCH this LOGIC man DUNK on WOKE SJWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and as soon as I cleared it, the recommends was cat vids again.

Ebaum Musk is just RILED that his tweety algorithm can't dump him into everyone's feeds without also dumping the sweet, sweet dis tracks that result. :lol:
that sounds like a lot of effort. if you want to look at a video that's questionable or might mess up recommendations, just watch it in a private window.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

IBroughttheFunk posted:

This one's a bit funnier than the others, because it's literally just Matt whining about how no one loving cares.

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1627098952699981826
Pretty lol that Taibbi is at the "why won't the lamestream media acknowledge my work??" stage.

Imagine seeking validation from the same apparatus you apparently have no time for.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Saying "ChatGPT is a Democrat" is identical to saying "ChatGPT is not a Neo-Nazi"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

This reporting I get paid by do for free for Elon Musk isn't interesting wah wah wah

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Matt Taibbi furious he got tricked into working "for exposure".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What would they even report, it’s just endless walls of text

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

do it elon, throw money at creating BasedGPT without any of the filters OpenAI put in place to keep ChatGPT in line

i'm sure other companies will rush to license an engine which constantly goes off on weird racist tangents

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it wont say the N word so it's biased lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yahtzee doesn't impact the metacritic score of a game, so he is allowed to do whatever

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is funny because I learned how scummy and disreputable both the games industry and the gaming press industry were years before gamergate from listening to James Stephanie Sterling's various horror stories about their time working at The Escapist and Destructoid and how they were blacklisted by game publishers from receiving review copies of games because they would do the unspeakable thing of voicing their honest opinion and calling bad video games bad sometimes.

So when people started screeching "This is all about ethics in video games journalism!", and I was like "Okay, so what are you going to do to help reform this cess pit?" and when the answer was "GET TURBO MAD AT AND TRY TO MURDER WOMEN!" I just laughed my rear end off.

Well it has had an effect on gaming reviews, publishers don't really need to bribe with ad space anymore. People that write for sites like IGN are loving terrified of giving high profile games bad scores anymore, anytime they did their inbox would get flooded with angry emails and death threats.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Durzel posted:

Pretty lol that Taibbi is at the "why won't the lamestream media acknowledge my work??" stage.

Imagine seeking validation from the same apparatus you apparently have no time for.

I get it, I posted a few bangers of tweets over the years and the media has been entirely, and consistently, silent on it. It's like they're going out of their way to not talk about my cat tweets on the news.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I'm getting mad at not having video games to play in my car

I wanna play witcher 3 and cyberpunk in my manually driven vehicle, this sucks!!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Prettz posted:

Shorts is more recent than 2015.

The algorithm was bad before but in the past three or four months it seems to have gotten worse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's getting better at playing it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how Bari Weiss got like 2 Twitter files before she turned on Elon

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bobjr posted:

I like how Bari Weiss got like 2 Twitter files before she turned on Elon

lol that was pretty funny

Taibbi is a loving moron

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Oh boy....

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1627909106064412672

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

My fav part of The Communist Manifesto was when Marx wrote about pawning emeralds from his dads mine.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Random Stranger posted:

The algorithm was bad before but in the past three or four months it seems to have gotten worse.
I think the shorts preferences are separate from the main videos, but it may be the same algorithm. Mine mainly look the same now, aside from how heavily it fixates on a single channel at a given time, but those first few weeks were eye opening on the kind of right wing garbage it feeds you by default.

Like, that was my sole time seeing The Quartering outside this thread and it was just him reposting a trans teacher’s video then stitching 1 second of his fat head yelling “groomer” onto the end. It spent weeks feeding me vids from this heavily tattooed ROMA Army girl even though I never watched them. I left it alone since I was curious if she was anti-feminist or just anti-lovely online girls, but finally took her channel off when she posted a defense of Andrew Tate right before he got arrested.

After blocking those two from my recommends, I pretty quickly just started to get the same kind of pop science, video game, meme and streamer clips I’m used to.

yook fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 21, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

a rare miss from the E

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

I wouldn't consider the addition of shorts part of the recommendation algorithm. and thankfully I don't see those, they showed up once on my home page, I clicked X, and that was it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They show up on mine every 30 days, because they are apparently terrified I might change my opinion in a month.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elon's 50% of the way there on internet marxists being 6-figgy computer janitors and/or landlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kazil posted:

a rare miss from the E

The Boerlickin' Bee