Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Bottom 6 can’t score? Hextall is going to trade for Patrick Kane so that the top 6 can score even more goals to make up for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I agree there are defensive issues, mainly springing from the fact the team has for years systematically gotten rid of the kind of fast puck moving dmen that work best in Sullivan's system and stocked up on the exact opposite kind of dmen. But this looked like a struggle-for-the-8-seed roster going into the season and, lo and behold, they're struggling for the 8 seed. Bad coaching is not the problem here, extreme age and egregious lack of depth are the problems here.

Also we were unanimously all "gently caress YEAH!!!! Who cares if the team's not very good, more SidGenoTanger!!!" about running last season's roster back a year older and with less depth so we shouldn't be acting shocked and appalled now that they are, in fact, not very good.

Honestly everyone they've brought back with the exception of Letang and maybe Rust have been good to great.

It's all the other moves that are killing them. Petry and Rutta for Marino and Matheson was the most sideways move. And the whole bottom six sucks. And their goaltending hasn't been good enough. And special teams are killing them.

Just a lot of holes. Down to just +2 goal differential. Gonna be minus after playing the Oilers I imagine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I live in daily dread of what feels like the inevitable trade of four draft picks and Ty Smith for Patrick Kane, as Burke/Hextall belatedly scramble to save their jobs and Kane is the splashiest name they can snag with the meager futures capital they have to offer.

Once it happens, I can then live in daily dread of the Penguins finishing 11th in the conference and the Blackhawks owning two Bedard lottery tickets.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Bottom 6 can’t score? Hextall is going to trade for Patrick Kane so that the top 6 can score even more goals to make up for it

Not if Kane plays in the bottom 6!

:Head tapping guy meme:

(I do not want Kane anywhere near the Pens)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rust in the bottom 6 is not a terrible solution for the issues at hand but good god, we really need a Mikael Backlund/Jordan Staal-esque 3C who can eat those lovely minutes more than anything.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Taking a team that thrived on speed and then slowing it down with even less capable players in the bottom 6 and the defense has done wonders. I look forward to more of the same.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If there's one thing the Penguins need more than anything right now, it's for Brian Dumoulin to stop playing for them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Taking a team that thrived on speed and then slowing it down with even less capable players in the bottom 6 and the defense has done wonders. I look forward to more of the same.

Definitely has all the feel of him doing something really boring at the deadline.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Pens should trade for Jack Rathbone

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

must be annoying to be a GM for a team like Buffalo that has SIX games in hand on Florida and the Islanders and needs to decide what they're doing at the deadline

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sabres have a tough schedule coming up, lotta good teams and only a few cupcakes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
gently caress the penguins tho

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Pens should trade for Jack Rathbone

The latest example of a Canuck prospect having a tough three game stretch and management deciding to end his career as a result.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Chad Sexington posted:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

secret volcano lair posted:

must be annoying to be a GM for a team like Buffalo that has SIX games in hand on Florida and the Islanders and needs to decide what they're doing at the deadline

Kevyn Adams seems to be leaning toward doing nothing because he doesn’t want to break up the vibez. Then again, their blue line is pretty thin so trading for a defenseman wouldn’t hurt. I wouldn’t say Jacob Bryson or Ilya Lyubushkin have particularly strong vibes. They have a lot of good prospects but idk if he would be willing to sacrifice any of them for the possibility of immediate success.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Sabres have a tough schedule coming up, lotta good teams and only a few cupcakes.

I made a post about this earlier but they’d have to win like 2/3 of their remaining games and almost all of them are against good teams in the East. They won the last two thankfully so they’d have to win about 18 of their remaining 28 games. It’ll be tough but the fact that they are even still in the running in late February is a huge improvement over the past decade. Some fans will be bummed if they miss the playoffs but this was always meant to be another development year, the playoffs would just be the icing on the cake.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

secret volcano lair posted:

Buffalo isn't good enough to be buyers at the deadline, but is playing well enough that they shouldn't be sellers either. They have a great future and a long window but this season they're competing with a bunch of bad teams for the last wild card spot with a tough schedule. Nobody they add is going to put them in a position to beat Boston. If they make any moves, it should be a lateral one that shores up depth for this and next season.

Detroit is in a tough spot because they're in the race too, with an equally tough schedule, and have to decide between selling Bertuzzi or holding on to try to make the playoffs. There's a real risk of losing him for nothing, but we also don't need more depth players, we need top end talent, and there might not be anything better coming back than a 2nd round pick.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Detroit should figure out what they are doing with Larkin before they do anything else. If he isn't staying then letting him walk for free would be awful asset management

Edit: rip my duckey av :(

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

HE'S STAYING gently caress YOU LALALALALALA

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Chad Sexington posted:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Buffalo isn't good enough to be buyers at the deadline, but is playing well enough that they shouldn't be sellers either. They have a great future and a long window but this season they're competing with a bunch of bad teams for the last wild card spot with a tough schedule. Nobody they add is going to put them in a position to beat Boston. If they make any moves, it should be a lateral one that shores up depth for this and next season.

Detroit is in a tough spot because they're in the race too, with an equally tough schedule, and have to decide between selling Bertuzzi or holding on to try to make the playoffs. There's a real risk of losing him for nothing, but we also don't need more depth players, we need top end talent, and there might not be anything better coming back than a 2nd round pick.

Any buying Buffalo does would be to help them just make the playoffs at all. I don’t think anyone believes they could win a series but just ending the drought would be a huge accomplishment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

This but the Devils and the Rangers

It's really annoying that pretty much no matter what the Devils do for the rest of the season they could still make their season a complete disaster in the first round of the playoffs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A really weird take on a team that has been in the playoffs one (1) time in the last 10 years

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I mean it would suck, but that's like saying the 2005-2006 Rangers season was a disaster, it would be great just to get back in with a team that looks like it's entering a long window of contention.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Losing to the Rangers in the playoffs would be such a giant helping of poo poo that it would really make me forget the rest of the season. (On the other hand they could win that series too)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

mcmagic posted:

It's really annoying that pretty much no matter what the Devils do for the rest of the season they could still make their season a complete disaster in the first round of the playoffs.

The contrast between DAS coming out of their rebuild this year vs RAS last year is hilarious. Are you just expecting a hall pass out of the first round?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Losing to the Rangers in the playoffs would be such a giant helping of poo poo that it would really make me forget the rest of the season. (On the other hand they could win that series too)

it really has been a long time since you've made the playoffs. this is big time Loser Mindset. you gotta go in and hope that, even if you lose, Miles Wood or whoever brains one of our players and causes us to lose in the next round. no risk it no biscuit baby

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

The contrast between DAS coming out of their rebuild this year vs RAS last year is hilarious. Are you just expecting a hall pass out of the first round?

Nah. i could deal with losing to any team other than the Rangers. I have too many ranger shitheads that I have to interreact with irl.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

The latest example of a Canuck prospect having a tough three game stretch and management deciding to end his career as a result.

It's pretty clear that Rathbone is never going to get a shot with the Canucks, and he would be a legitimately good piece for the Pens.

It'll never happen, though.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Devil's are in the learn to win via losing phase of team building

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

it really has been a long time since you've made the playoffs. this is big time Loser Mindset. you gotta go in and hope that, even if you lose, Miles Wood or whoever brains one of our players and causes us to lose in the next round. no risk it no biscuit baby

Hell, they may even be able to concuss someone like Panarin and sneak by completely undeservedly

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think it's Jonathan Cheechoo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

C'mon.

It's Gary Leeman.

Both are good answers.

Jacques Richard had 160 goals in his career, and 52 in one season. His GPG for his career is 0.29

Cheechoo had 170 goals in his career, and 56 in one season. His GPG for his career is 0.34.

Leeman had 199 goals in his career, and 51 in one season. His GPG for his career is 0.30.

For me, Cheechoo and Leeman at least had other seasons where they scored 30 goals (Cheechoo did it once, and Leeman did it twice). Richard only hit 27 one other time, and the rest of his goal totals are under 20.

I have been thinking about who is the most anonymous 40-goal scorer. And, for guys this century, it may be Brad Boyes. Kulemin may be the answer for most anonymous 30-goal scorer this century. There's too many players before 2000 to consider.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 21, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

You have the guy who tries to hand out concussions on your team my man.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hell, they may even be able to concuss someone like Panarin and sneak by completely undeservedly

i know! this rules when it happens. this used to be Devils' Whole Thing. how quickly they forget...

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Jacob Trouba is a saint

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The money play is Wood torpedoing Shesterkin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Jacob Trouba is a saint

So is Mother Teresa.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

You really need to stop letting us know how much it’s going to bother you if the Rangers beat your team because I’m going to be even more unbearable.

Honestly the Devils have little to really complain about, great season, great outlook for the future, the constant hand-wringing and doomposting is really pathetic but that’s fandom I suppose!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

WeaponX posted:

You really need to stop letting us know how much it’s going to bother you if the Rangers beat your team because I’m going to be even more unbearable.

Honestly the Devils have little to really complain about, great season, great outlook for the future, the constant hand-wringing and doomposting is really pathetic but that’s fandom I suppose!

At least you can go in assuming you're going to win before you lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah leave the doomposting to the experts, the Penguins fans