Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
American Infrastructure report card for the last 20 years

Rail gets a 'B' which is funny given the past couple weeks and the "1000 derailings a year"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I had to check that "1000 derailings a year" thing because it sounded absurd. Apparently it's real, but it also includes every rail yard accident where a car gets bumped off the rails during normal operations, which make up the bulk of it. The actual "running train falls off the track" part is a minority, so there aren't 1000 of those.

I also have no idea what the gently caress Pete is smoking when it sounds like a defense of business as usual, rather than a rallying cry to increase funding and tighten up operations, particularly in cases of toxic and explosive hazards being transported through/near residental areas and near/over major waterways.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pete’s job isn’t to make transportation safe and efficient. His job is to bust unions.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Rail gets a 'B' which is funny given the past couple weeks and the "1000 derailings a year"

How dare anyone say that America is not the greatest nation in the world!

I'm just glad we finally established ports in 2013

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mercury was just seen as a very useful fluid. Turns out a superdense metallic fluid has a lot of practical applications! Shame about the toxicity.

Its how they used to pull impressively strong vaccuum before we got good at pumps.

So that explains why the vacuum gauges I get are in inches of Hg.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

do you have anymore details about this? i am trying to picture how that box worked. was the mercury floating on the gas somehow..?

e: oh im dumb, like an upside down fish tank stuck in a giant pool of mercury

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Xxsc8ry.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bird in a Blender posted:

So that explains why the vacuum gauges I get are in inches of Hg.

Kind of.

The mercury manometers that define the scale of your digital or dial gauges are different instruments than mercury‐based vacuum pumps.

But ultimately both devices rely on the same material properties of mercury to do their jobs.

Here’s a video of a guy who’s married to mercury making a vacuum pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJ3T-1KZqY

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Platystemon posted:

Kind of.

The mercury manometers that define the scale of your digital or dial gauges are different instruments than mercury‐based vacuum pumps.

But ultimately both devices rely on the same material properties of mercury to do their jobs.

Here’s a video of a guy who’s married to mercury making a vacuum pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJ3T-1KZqY

Merkry 💘 Cody

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

F rating for kerning.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That's like something out of a Hitman game.

Why are they having a birthday party in a shipping container?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Another one where I can't even tell the gender.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Are the balloons filled with hydrogen?!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

We're running out of helium, I applaud their efforts not to be wasteful. Also considering the burn time it seems they put it in pure and not mixed with oxygen straight out of some funky electrolysis setup, that would've been a much worse time.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think that's a B as in bad

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

thisusedyet posted:

I think that's a B as in bad

ASCE Report Card Grades Explained:

A = rear end
B = Bad
C = Crap
D = Dookie
F = Fuckin' Christ Almighty...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

That's like something out of a Hitman game.

Why are they having a birthday party in a shipping container?

Like 90% of videos on the internet it’s also very possible it was done on purpose for clicks.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

My wife called me for help because she had a flat tire on the highway. No biggie, let’s see what happened…

Hmmm…

:dafuq:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Is there a bullet hole on the other side?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mean streets indeed

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

bit of tape and a pump and it'll fix right up

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Is there a bullet hole on the other side?

Yeah I was gonna say, I’d expect a matching hole in the actual tire, maybe a round got lodged in the tread and picked up, and eventually (or immediately) cooked off against the pavement?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Did she run through a police roadblock by any chance? Something like a five star GTA pursue?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Any sudden, unexplained wealth in the form of sequential bills or gold bullion?

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

No idea. Yea there was a nasty hole in the tread itself but no sign of what caused it. I did check the body of the car for bullet holes though haha. I assume she ran over a short chunk of rebar of something similar and it wedged itself just right to go through the wheel.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Aperture Priority posted:

No idea. Yea there was a nasty hole in the tread itself but no sign of what caused it. I did check the body of the car for bullet holes though haha. I assume she ran over a short chunk of rebar of something similar and it wedged itself just right to go through the wheel.

Whatever was inside .... it's on the loose now!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_poyvd5hu9t1y0s4d1.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqecdyojlQ1r0uzl6.mp4

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

When the track is too wet in NASCAR they should just get the drivers to switch and race these around until it's dry.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, I’d expect a matching hole in the actual tire, maybe a round got lodged in the tread and picked up, and eventually (or immediately) cooked off against the pavement?

That wouldn't work. Bullets only have velocity because of the barrel. Did you remove the tire from the rim? Whatever it is might still be in there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

C.M. Kruger posted:

"literally no way to prevent this" says transportation czar in country where it regularly happens
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1626324897260572676

Note that this is an all-time low since the FRA started keeping data. There were almost 9000 in 1978.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Why be thrown from a wreck in one direction, when you can be thrown from the wreck in all directions?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

This also works as a gender reveal.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

Phanatic posted:

Note that this is an all-time low since the FRA started keeping data. There were almost 9000 in 1978.

I wonder what that value is as a percentage of routes or hours traveled in a year. I’m guessing there was a lot more rail traffic in 1978.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just saw this a few minutes ago.

I don't know what that machine is (some kind of flooring machine?), but they were towing the big metal job box on casters with an extension cord. Whatever was in it was heavy as gently caress, judging by the way it was moving. The tender was having to work to keep it from getting out of line and it ran up on the back wheels a few times.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lord Hawking posted:

I wonder what that value is as a percentage of routes or hours traveled in a year. I’m guessing there was a lot more rail traffic in 1978.

Nope. There's about twice as much now.

Source: https://www.railserve.com/stats_records/freight_railroad_traffic_volumes.html

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think I saw another chart that indicated that the mileage is very slowly trending down (but still pretty steady), but tonnage transported has shot up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Increasing that accident efficiency. Derail smarter, not harder!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

you must be reading it wrong, it's not possible for something to be better now than it was before

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

Thanks for the info. I had pictured an overall decrease given the shrinking reach of railways that I’ve observed in my lifetime. It’s even more damning for the corporations that they’re transporting more, yet ignoring the infrastructure and workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I read that post as wondering more as a matter of rates per train rather than per ton-mile. Maybe per crew-mile would be a good way to put it? Seems like as Cthulu Carl mentions less trains running much longer could throw off ton-mile based figures.