Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

HoI4 still hasnt fixed that?!? lol, lmao

They at least added that zones in between the airport and the targeted one are taken into account, so you can't magically teleport (as well as before) over zones you don't have control over.

e: can't wait for 1.2 to be out of open beta to try it out. Up to doing the third starting scenario (hegemon?). I keep telling myself that every new paradox game, but Vic3 is the one I'll get all the chieves for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Enjoying the game so far. Finally got the hang of it I think as Sweden. Just pumping out fancy furniture for the world. Norway is killing me by not building sulpher mines so I'm working on getting enough of Denmark to do the diplo play for scandanivia.

I was really suprised to see New Orleans isn't on the map. This time period was huge for that city. It was the third largest city in the country and the wealthiest. Not to mention the part it played in the Civil War. Some parts of the map are beautiful and some are just.... Questionable.

Is there any point in running the arms manufacturer at higher production levels? It just loses tons of money but doesn't seem to make your army stronger? Am I seeing this correctly?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I can't wait until foreign investment makes it into the game. I don't want to have to subjugate Honduras just to get some dyes!

I also hope they put in synthetic dyes, and I understand pollution mechanics are on the way.

https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/chemistry/colourful-chemistry-artificial-dyes

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Zig-Zag posted:

Is there any point in running the arms manufacturer at higher production levels? It just loses tons of money but doesn't seem to make your army stronger? Am I seeing this correctly?

Increasing arms production doesn't make your army stronger, but it reduces army upkeep by making the goods cheaper in your market. It's worth doing as long as the factory is barely profitable, or if you can export some to keep it afloat.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

TwoQuestions posted:

I can't wait until foreign investment makes it into the game. I don't want to have to subjugate Honduras just to get some dyes!

I also hope they put in synthetic dyes, and I understand pollution mechanics are on the way.

https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/chemistry/colourful-chemistry-artificial-dyes

Eh? Aren’t synthetic dyes already in the game? I vaguely recall seeing the option as a production method somewhere or other.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Tomn posted:

Eh? Aren’t synthetic dyes already in the game? I vaguely recall seeing the option as a production method somewhere or other.

They might be, can't say I've played past 1900.

Also I hope they add more production methods with different tradeoffs, like making Groceries out of Fish or Meat, or making shot out of Iron or Steel if Lead isn't available. Right now, it seems like the only differences most of the time are "here's more production, but it takes more resources and less/more qualified labor".

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Tomn posted:

Yeah, there's a whole new factory that unlocks for synthetic dyes/silk. I think the tech's Aniline?

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

It's the thing that exists to dump 'fertilizers' into to keep your chemical works afloat because just making more high explosives isn't enough.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

edit: quote is not edit, sorry for the doublepost

Yeah I think you should be able to use "Take Treaty Port" against them for their TP in Thrace, which is something that I did not realize that that is how it works (I thought I had to conquer state). Something may have changed (I did the DEI game on the 1.1 patch) and/or I may be mis-remembering something, but I know for certain that I took Singapore from England in that game (I cant remember if I was higher or lower rank at the time).

After reading some threads in Paradox’s bug reports forum there seem to be a current bug with taking back treaty ports.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Star posted:

After reading some threads in Paradox’s bug reports forum there seem to be a current bug with taking back treaty ports.

Yeah, I couldn't work out how to do it. Might be if you annex the entire country that owns the port you'd get it, but that's not always practical.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tbh diplomatic plays were buggy before too, I remember when I couldn't do anything to DEI and couldn't find any reason why

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Star posted:

poo poo, that sucks, I'm sorry man.

Popoto posted:

They at least added that zones in between the airport and the targeted one are taken into account, so you can't magically teleport (as well as before) over zones you don't have control over.
My gripe is that if my ground forces are advancing with air cover, once the ground forces push past a certain arbitrary line, the planes dont go with them (unless you attach them to a specific army, which helps but doesnt fix the problem for me). Like... if you assign troops to advance from Alcace-Lorraine to cross the Rhine, and assign planes to air superiority in A-L, then your troops cross the Rhine and start getting bombed by Stukas... well, tough poo poo little guys, my orders say not to cross the Rhine. All this to say I'm glad planes arent that advanced in V3 so we dont have to worry about that kind of crap.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 21, 2023

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Star posted:

Should be fixed in this week's beta patch.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wiz posted:

Should be fixed in this week's beta patch.

Will already started games be compatible with it? Will it save my Muhammad Ali’s Ambition run?!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's an explicitly buggy and under construction beta with no promises of save compatibility until after the stable 1.2 release, so probably not

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I had a save survive the last patch with no obvious issues fwiw, so it's worth a shot. My construction totally stopped in 1930 but that was decades after resuming the save so I assume it was an unrelated bug

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Star posted:

Will already started games be compatible with it? Will it save my Muhammad Ali’s Ambition run?!

Yeah, should be no issue with old saves, though we don't guarantee it because beta build.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eiba posted:

That's really weird. I've seen the capitalist AI to start building coal mines on its own just by switching a single production method to use coal. If you were driving up the price of coal in the Russian market, even if the national AI has other priorities, the capitalists should have started building coal mines. Maybe they were and it just wasn't enough?

And you say it's 1890? Something weird has happened in your game. I just booted up my Argentina game and in 1877 there are half a dozen major markets with cheap coal I can import. Including the Russian market. Though I just realized coal is crazy expensive in my own market and I've just been dealing with it.

Are you sure they're literally not developing coal mines at all, or just not fast enough to keep up with your presumably high level intensive industrialization? If you don't have a domestic source of coal, well, yeah, you should be kind of limited on your ability to expand coal production. Russia may have more important things to develop for the sake of Russia, and their capitalists might not have much money to work with.

Or things may be broken in a weird way. Who knows.

Coming back to this a bit late, but I have a few saves so I went and checked; in 1850 the situation was pretty dire; 1 coal mine in Tobolsk was all they managed to build, despite urban centers (and my industry) guzzling coal like it was going out of style. Maybe it was the fact that I'm a subject, so they didn't "count" my requirements somehow? But they're right there :confused:

more than 20 years later, in 1872, it's better but not by much - there's a bunch of ragtag mines around in Kiev, Perm, Irkutsk and another couple places, but still only #9 producer in the world with just 1-4 levels for each mine

3 years later, in 1875, still pretty much the same

it's ridiculous in 1880, where most of the increase comes from me open palm slamming coal mines in Congo after narrowly swiping it from the dastardly French colonizers... come on Russia go home you're drunk

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I hope a production slider is in the works for the next big patch so I can allocate 5% of my clothing factories to producing luxury clothes without having to do all the clicking.

Unless there’s a mod for it already? Please tell me there is.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Is the best opening gambit in a Japan start to initiate a civil war to get the shogun/landlords the gently caress out? I’ve had runs that are basically just 60 years of stagnation because I can’t get them to budge at all. Even in a recent run where I finally managed to pop a civil war that led to the end of the landowners it came at the cost of being a British protectorate so I can’t finish the last restoration. I also can’t seem to get the serfs freed either as no political movement exists to try. Every other reformation bit is complete but man is that a challenging start.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Weird BIAS posted:

Is the best opening gambit in a Japan start to initiate a civil war to get the shogun/landlords the gently caress out? I’ve had runs that are basically just 60 years of stagnation because I can’t get them to budge at all. Even in a recent run where I finally managed to pop a civil war that led to the end of the landowners it came at the cost of being a British protectorate so I can’t finish the last restoration. I also can’t seem to get the serfs freed either as no political movement exists to try. Every other reformation bit is complete but man is that a challenging start.
You can start industrialization before you remove the shogunate from power. Build industries and universities to make other groups more powerful. Put someone, anyone, in government who will support reforms that move you away from pro-shogunate laws, like the bureaucrat one or your military organization. Just remove anything that gives power to the landholders whenever you can, piece by piece.

Eventually changing laws and increasing industry should make dealing with the shogunate more manageable.

You shouldn't need a civil war, but it will kind of feel like you're languishing for decades.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah with japan it's a long, slow crawl out from under the boot of the shogunate landlords but you just need to take care of it one piece at a time, and by the time you finally finish the restoration you're ready to gently caress things up on the global stage

immediately bolster the intelligentsia and industrialists. switch between a landlord/peasant or landlord/priest government, depending on which of the non-landlord IGs support the laws you want. you should be able to make little reforms that slowly eat away at the landlord IG's clout as you build the clout of opposing IGs. a good early pickup is either professional military or national militia, both of which undermine the landlords without making them upset (something to do while you're waiting for the landlords to stop being mad about other reforms). likewise, push the intelligentisa into power to support reforms like appointed bureaucrats or wealth voting

a full reform of japanese society isn't the beginning of your game, it should be the end of the japan-specific game. japan gets a ton of advantages that need to be checked by the weird enforced isolationism - you can build an entire internal autarky with little colonialism, or you can do stuff like building out gobs of arms factories and dumping cheap muskets on the qing market if you can pick up an early reform away from isolationism. just remember to be constantly building factories intermixed with universities and government admin - more factories means more industrialists and trade unions, more universities and admin means more intelligentsia, and all of it means more petty bourgeoisie - and less peasants, leading to less income and support for the landlords. but moreso than any other country you've got to just be playing the all japan, nothing but japan game until that point

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
In my Japan games I've never felt like I was stagnating. Switching to professional army is the usual first step - if I'm not going for colonies- but that's just while I bide my time and start the internal economy loop of iron -> tools -> more construction. Once the industrialists have even a small amount of clout you can chip away at the landlords through incremental changes and liberalization to get better tax laws that will fund more construction and more construction means more urban jobs. And as always, try to rush colonizing Indonesia for your future rubber needs.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Does anyone know if there's plans for "plowshares to swords" type Production Methods that are going to get added to the game? Watching this I couldn't help but remember all the machine shops that started making weapons and materiel for WWII.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1628389824875966464

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TwoQuestions posted:

Does anyone know if there's plans for "plowshares to swords" type Production Methods that are going to get added to the game? Watching this I couldn't help but remember all the machine shops that started making weapons and materiel for WWII.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1628389824875966464

Is that a thing that really happened in the Victorian era? HOI4 has it - you can swap civilian factories to military ones at a much cheaper cost that represents this sort of retooling.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

New beta update:

quote:

FIXED ISSUES IN THIS UPDATE!

The sound effects of a new Feed Notification added was fixed.
The indicator bar for convoy capacity works properly now.
Severe budget deficit which was happening because of private construction is now fixed.
Building completion time estimations are fixed.
“Conquer State” wargoal against a Native Uprising is now fixed.
Countries are unable to lean against a country they have a Truce with in a Diplomatic Play or influence the status of the opponent.
Japanese heirs from the Meiji Restoration event do not appear before they are born anymore
Some numbers in the Population Detailed List menu are displayed properly now.
Multiplayer now is free from OOS after hotjoining(AI).
Our third build for Open Beta is free from crash in Observing mode when opening information panels.
Mass Migration is balanced and fixed.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

New beta update:

Some misc stuff that I've noticed:
- New icon when you have a shortage of something. Hovering over it shows what it is and how many factories that are affected.
- Take treaty port war goal fixed (Hurray!)
- New icon showing when a state is unincorporated, for example when you are constructing buildings in several states
- Available decisions button under the Current Situation

Star fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 23, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oh yeah, the treaty port thing was my main remaining problem.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

This is the list of changes from their Discord:

quote:

The following list of changes and bug fixes for this updated beta version of 1.2 is not an exhaustive list and may be subject to change.

Changes:

Construction Queues now have a frame around them
UI now shows that a Pop can only have Radicals or Loyalists, not both.
New tooltip when hovering over "0 projects" on the Construction widget
Improvements to the Convoy Cost tooltip on the Trade Route panel
Player can now mobilize commanders as long as they control some part of the HQ area
Transcaucasia has been changed from Unrecognized to Recognized
AI will no longer demand Treaty port and open market war goals at the same time, they want to keep that market exclusive.
AI East India Company is less aggressive at the beginning of the game
Reduce difficulty of some Tanzimat objectives
Concept added for Popup, Toast and Feed
Reset Building Production Methods and Reset Building type Production methods added to right click menus
Added Ctrl+B to pause/unpause Construction in your Country
Map list for Issue Decree interaction now shows predicted authority cost
Private construction now shows correct time per building expansion
Sound effects for when a new Feed Notification have been muted
Updated version of message settings Icon
Small pop assimilation logic changed
Countries are unable to lean against a country they have a Truce with in a Diplomatic Play or influence the status of the opponent
AI now should always try to have an extra general to garrison their coastal HQs
AI should properly develop resource industries
AI no longer produce too much military industry
General Moved to Front notifications only apply to your own generals now
Changed calculation of Building profit prediction to only show the pure income vs expenses of the new level
AI now properly consider economy of scale
Building Group Inheritance now considers if values have been set by a reader or not
Bolivia cannot annex player-controlled Peru anymore
AI will mobilize at least some troops during native uprising play and send them to the important frontlines, especially if frontlines are far away and/or lack troops
AI does now consider construction efficiency when building
Primary War goals are now highlighted with a frame around them
The player now has the ability to assign one state as designated strategic objective in each enemy theater larger than 1 state
Mobilization notifications are now turned off by default
Traditionalism and Serfdom Changes
Private construction no longer causes severe negative budget balance
USA should focus more on its western frontier as well as colonies rather than aggressive conquest of Africa
Revoke claim now applies to colonial claims, as well as your own states
Shortage information changed from a Situation to an Alert
AI should be less aggressive with Diplo Plays now
Can no longer add Conquer State war goals against a native uprising
Convoys give you a scaling effect, like other Capacities now
Can click on the sides of the Front Marker to navigate to the Front Panel
Made it possible to switch the Appearance of a Notification Type directly from the Notification
Clearer indication of if you are wasting Construction or not via construction widget and alert for ‘No Construction ongoing’
Indian Territory is no longer annexed through Manifest Destiny
‘A Renewed Japan’ now gives a claim for all 5 states of Joseon

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bug Fixes:

No longer possible to select unreachable states as Strategic Objectives
belle_epoque_ach_possible variable no longer transferred twice in on_revolution_end on_action
Impassable terrain no longer counts towards war occupation
Forming Transcaucasia now requires Azerbaijan instead of Yemen State Regions
"Establish a Trade Route" tutorial under Learn the Game button for “Tell Me Why” is no longer greyed out
Back button on Step 4 Tell Me Why "Expand a basic Building" tutorial is now greyed out and shows requirements as unchecked
Pop Panel Tutorial 1/9 no longer highlights Charts instead of Detailed List
Typo removed in Step 1 of Tell Me How "Increase Immigration" tutorial
Space added on Back button tooltip on Step 2 of "Tell Me How" " Increase Market Access by Decree tutorial
"How to Establish a Trade Route" tutorial Back button available on step 2 should now work
Tell Me Why "Establish a Trade Route" tutorial Step 1 Overview tab instructions now correct
Market price text no longer cut off in Monthly Price Report under Highlights tab in Market panel
Issues with keybind "Back" in Highlights tab on Market Panel
Back button now works on Step 5 in Tell Me Why on "Bolster an Interest Group" tutorial
Back button now works on Tell Me How "Recruit and Promote a Commander" tutorial
Back button now works on Step 2 in Tell Me Why "Passing an Institutional Law" tutorial
Oregon Treaty should now give the USA a claim over Idaho and remove Columbia District's claim
Show More buttons shouldn’t appear in population panel when all are shown anymore
Header bar of Interest Group Modifiers panel is no longer slightly misadjusted
Banana Plantations are now visible in the Fruit Applications tab
Goods Panel "Applications” now lists all buildings instead of only 5
Animated population in the 'Population' menu now stay in their frames
Non-tradeable goods no longer tooltips suggesting you should trade them
Front tooltip no longer covers information in front marker
Russia is now willing to puppet or annex Orta Zhuz
Localized key on event "Slavery and Colonial Labor"
When Haiti stops existing France no longer has "Haitian Independence Payments"
Road Maintenance applies only to Infrastructure from Population
It is now possible to create Chiapas Treaty Port state
Disabling all soundtracks no longer spams the error log
No longer able to queue constructions above max allowed
AI diplo play boldness score calculation now takes weak army into account
Generals that are moved from their HQ due to a secession can't be mobilized after the territory is regained – fixed
After leaving a market you can now establish trade routes
Some third party notifications are now sent
Nations with Revolutions will now peace out, only works in new save games!
Can now take back treaty port province if both parts are GPs
AI shouldn't want to take treaty ports from countries in their market
Unlocalized link to Military Unit tooltip now localized
Movements to preserve no longer give loyalists on stopping enactment
Private constructions with empty Investment Fund no longer cause constant budget fluctuation
War goals are sometimes not removed after being enforced, the war goal is now invalidated and war ended
Opened Construction subtab no longer causes game slowdown
Event "Do You Hear That Too" (production_tech_events.300) no longer can occur in NULL_STATE
"Visitors from Colonies" (africa_colonial_events.7) doesn’t fire as often anymore
Ottoman empire can no longer worsens relations with themselves in event
Powerplants now show on the map when built
In the Politics & Technology screens the close button is no longer partially blocked
Japanese heirs created by event meiji.1 no longer have negative age
No longer missing Pause/Resume construction button on the construction queue for directly controlled investment pool
Sorting by Acceptance in Diplomatic Actions should no longer have a performance impact
AI no longer adds & removes same buildings in quick succession to the construction queue
Queued Buildings that are not currently being constructed no longer display infinite time estimations
CTD after opening battle window fixed
Construction will no longer get stuck at 99%
CTD after opening construction queue fixed
OOS on ELECTIONS during normal gameplay fixed
Mass Migration isn't causing any migration – should have migration now
CTD in construction (CState::IsBuildingAllowedInState (state.cpp: 4965)) fixed
Strategic Objectives are now removed after all related plays are resolved
Unable to open Journal Entries, fixed
Unable to open Diplomatic Play window, fixed
Unable to open Front Line window, fixed
Battles no longer sometimes get stuck at 100% advancement without firing
AI should no longer move generals back and forth between fronts constantly
CTD Construction queue button tooltip links CDataWrapperTooltipRegister<CDataCountry fixed
OOS after hotjoining fixed
OOS on RANDOM_COUNT during normal gameplay fixed
CTD after opening multiple country information panels (ExtractCountry or CCountryPanel::CanShow) fixed
Clout power graphs no longer break
Graph bug with loyalists and radicals should no longer go out of its border
Opium Plantations should now be removed from the queue or otherwise ignored by the Private Construction sector while the Opium Ban is in place
Every value in the Set Up a Trade Route Map List is missing a tooltip, tooltips added
CTD by opening lenses and trying to click any option, fixed
Localized string 'BUDGET_DIVIDEND_TAXES' in the 'Population' menu
Fix for CSA not being annexed when they lose.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
*edit* Gort was faster.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

"Countries are unable to lean against a country they have a Truce with in a Diplomatic Play or influence the status of the opponent." - what does this mean exactly?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

"Countries are unable to lean against a country they have a Truce with in a Diplomatic Play or influence the status of the opponent." - what does this mean exactly?

My read is:

Leaning is basically a way of signalling to other players that you're interested in being swayed to their side of the diplomatic play.

Since you've got a truce with the opponent and can't be swayed to oppose them, they've patched it so you can't lean against them either.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"AI should properly develop resource industries"
"AI now properly consider economy of scale"

Very good. Hopefully the first thing helps countries like Japan kickstart their industrial expansion as well. They still had zero tools or mines of any kind 40 years into my 1.2.1 Germany campaign. And hopefully the second thing makes it so your private sector doesn't spam the same building types everywhere anymore, spreading out your industry instead of take advantage of EoS.

It looks like build queues are wiped when loading any saves made in the prior beta patches. It's just a one-time setback, and it fixed my ruined Soviet Union save, so that's cool. I'm still not sure if they actually fixed the issue with having a frozen private queue when going Command Economy though since I haven't seen any patch notes specifically about that.

edit: I will say that it certainly seems like CE is economically viable now. I am making an absolute shitload of money as the USSR. I don't really have a good way to compare how it would be with a capitalist economy instead now, but it seems like I'm earning way more with a full build queue than I was before. (around a million pounds a week of net income with very low graduated taxation, no consumption taxes, and three thousand points of steel-frame construction in 1895). My SoL also shot up in a straight line to 20.3, putting me in the #1 spot by a wide margin. :ussr:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 23, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

My read is:

Leaning is basically a way of signalling to other players that you're interested in being swayed to their side of the diplomatic play.

Since you've got a truce with the opponent and can't be swayed to oppose them, they've patched it so you can't lean against them either.
Thats why I'm curious because I'm 99% sure that having a truce doesnt prevent an AI country from being swayed against who they have a truce with. In my DEI game I fought China and Austria non-stop for like 20 years because they would stay out of my poo poo. Even little nothings like Sulu or Mingdonao drew in a whole bunch of assholes I had just beaten the crap out of.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Starting as EIC is tough, unless I'm missing something. Very powerful landlords, lovely laws, and you discriminate against drat near your whole population! Bottomless population pool though, and lots of resources.

Is there a good way to accept your population, or is it a case of praying to the RNGesus that you get a leader who wants Multiculturalism?

EDIT: I think I'm getting better at the game now, I stopped being a chicken poo poo and let the Landowners have their Civil War tantrum and then it got easier. I passed Universal Suffrage, and made me a Rural Folk state until the Landowners started getting power again and demanded Census Suffrage.

TwoQuestions fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 23, 2023

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

BetaPatch posted:

Countries are unable to lean against a country they have a Truce with in a Diplomatic Play or influence the status of the opponent

I hope this does not prevent me from abusing Asian and African minors to destroy the UK in a century.
Every game so far I ended up doing exactly that, once I was strong enough to easily challenge the UK, I go to war with them. After that I pick fights with minors in their influence area, they join, I add wargoals and mess them up before our initial truce run out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TwoQuestions posted:

Starting as EIC is tough, unless I'm missing something. Very powerful landlords, lovely laws, and you discriminate against drat near your whole population! Bottomless population pool though, and lots of resources.

Is there a good way to accept your population, or is it a case of praying to the RNGesus that you get a leader who wants Multiculturalism?

EDIT: I think I'm getting better at the game now, I stopped being a chicken poo poo and let the Landowners have their Civil War tantrum and then it got easier. I passed Universal Suffrage, and made me a Rural Folk state until the Landowners started getting power again and demanded Census Suffrage.

You gotta use the period after the civil war to advance laws that remove all of the landowner power bonuses, not just voting reform.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You gotta use the period after the civil war to advance laws that remove all of the landowner power bonuses, not just voting reform.

I did, that's not a problem. Felt pretty good too, reforming the military and bureaucracy, I don't think I have any Landowner-boosting laws left by the time they started gaining power again, just a lot of farms and Aristocrat-owned things.

What's holding me back now is the EIC's incorrigible racism, which I can't find a way to deal with, even Cultural Exclusion doesn't help a whole lot. Luckily they start with Total Separation which helps a bunch, though they get events from the Anglicans preaching that causes minor problems, but they make sense and it isn't game-sinking.

I started a game as Brazil, which seems like a tougher version of the US at start, and it went pretty well especially after I joined France's customs union.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The other thing to watch out for is landowner generals and admirals. I usually start my games sacking enough of those to bring the landowners to -9 happiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

For EIC, I had the same trouble. Letting the land owners revolt and letting the various vassals/princes and the UK and whatever states remained loyal let me knock the land owners down a peg. Then I could do the necessary reforms to keep the land owners out of power. It was way easier than other mega-revolts I had like tossing serfdom as Japan and every state turned against me and no friends to help.

To get multiculturalism once the peasants were in power, I got the intellectual IG into the government and did the free speech laws so I could get the guaranteed liberties home affairs law. That triggered an event to get the intellectual IG leader the radical trait which let me finally get multiculturalism going.