Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

colonelwest posted:

I’ve been reading/watching some videos about how 343 and Microsoft are scrapping Halo Infinite and starting over in UE5, because their custom engine was such a mess of technical debt that they couldn’t even add more game modes or simple poo poo like playable Elites.

I don't know anything about Halo but isn't this game already released? They're planning to switch engines after release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

I don't know anything about Halo but isn't this game already released? They're planning to switch engines after release?

They can't add to Infinite due to engine issues. The switch is for new games

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IncredibleAliveKoalabear-mobile.mp4

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

chadbear posted:

Fair enough, Star Citizen in its current form brings in the money. I believe that Chris really wants to create his magnum opus in Squadron 42 though, and starting over in a new engine could happen there. The man needs his fidelity

Yeah that’s the main way I could see the Crobbler ordering an engine change. He’s too stupid and arrogant to be swayed by any technical argument, but He’s obsessed with graphics and Star Citizen looks anywhere from one to two generations behind at this point; it gets worse and worse looking as you progress from small enclosed environments like the habs to large outdoor spaces. And it’s missing now standard features like ray tracing, HDR and DLSS/FSR.

For all we know they’ve scrapped SQ42 yet again and are remaking it in UE5 as we speak. I mean CIG is such a black hole when it comes to information and SQ42 has been MIA for three years now. The last we saw of it was just a camera panning around art assets for a few minutes back in 2019. But then again, as others have said they have no real incentive to ever finish a game since the money keeps pouring in.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 20, 2023

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Given Chris "No moral fibre" Roberts' polygon addiction, one might think Nanite would be right up his alley.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

that's one PESsed off cat

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dear CIG: Thank you so much for the prison updates in 3.18 posted:

I'm generally an unlawful player. I often log off with several homicides to my name, and I'm used to logging on in prison with my sentence completed.

But in 3.18, prison sentences are significantly longer, and its harder to earn merits to get out. In 3.17, it took me 15 minutes to work off a 6 hour sentence, with oxygen missions. Now, it takes me hours to work off a 24 hour sentence. That's awesome. It adds more consequences to the criminal player, it adds more gameplay in prison, and it incentivizes people to use the newly revamped SPK.

So sincerely, CIG, thank you for making prison awesome in 3.18.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

“Mining the ore space boss! Taking a hotdog break Space boss!”

I won’t be satisfied until it’s 1:1 and a 24 hour sentence takes 24 real in game hours to work off and the timer stops if you’re idle for more than 30 seconds.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Someone doesn't know it, but they are in fact already dead.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

How long does it take to work off a 6 hour probe in SA?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Actually I totally understand thanking CIG for forcing you to not play the game

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I like the fantasy that they are changing engines.

If everybody was focused on the new engine, it would explain the total lack of updates about SQ404 or the lack of significant patches on SC.

I hope it's true and we will see a game coming out of this mess someday.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sandweed posted:

The talk is that the leadership threw a lot of the red engine people under the bus for the botched CP77 launch and they all left/got fired. CDPR then had to switch to UE5 or train up a new engine team.

leadership getting owned by being incredibly short sighted is always good schadenfreude

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JugbandDude posted:

If everybody was focused on the new engine, it would explain the total lack of updates about SQ404 or the lack of significant patches on SC.

As if changing engines would do jack poo poo (besides keeping the backers backing) Their issue is building the game backwards, without any actual planning, under the supervision of Chris Roberts.

No engine will help with that.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

That's one angry Pangolin.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

JugbandDude posted:

I was going to ask if they'd been posting job openings for people with experience using game engines other than CryEngine, but then I remembered that CIG's job postings are basically a mirage anyway. The same positions are listed all the time, none of them are ever filled, and yet for some reason they need more (and more expensive) office space.

I guess they could be trying to do an engine switch entirely in-house, just...asking their CryEngine gurus and their Full Sail newbies to learn UE5 in their free time or something, but that sounds like a really stupid way to do it. Which I guess would be how they'd do it if they were going to, so...hm.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1627371763662303235

world tour or a traveling freak show?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Big "our previous venues want to have nothing to do with us" vibe

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Manchester, again? Can't we do it in Ibiza?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I heard Maui has a huge Star Citizen community.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It’s still crazy to me that they can generate this sort of enthusiasm after 11 years of nothing. The thread on Spectrum is full of people begging them to come to their towns. What would you even talk to one of the devs about? If you ask about some feature they’re just going to give them same canned non-answer about server meshing T0 or “we’re considering thinking about planning a meeting to talk about that.”

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

colonelwest posted:

It’s still crazy to me that they can generate this sort of enthusiasm after 11 years of nothing. The thread on Spectrum is full of people begging them to come to their towns. What would you even talk to one of the devs about? If you ask about some feature they’re just going to give them same canned non-answer about server meshing T0 or “we’re considering thinking about planning a meeting to talk about that.”

Don’t worry, Qanons, the great military tribunal is definitely happening and the 10 days of darkness will come. You will be ushered into a grand new age and everyone who doubted you will grovel at your feet. It WILL happen. Don’t worry that it hasn’t happened yet. That’s all part of the plan. Trust the plan, even though you have no idea what it is.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
did the agent ever post that stuff he had about star citizen's funding or whatever

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

colonelwest posted:

they probably want those "banu cube" codes that CIG was giving at such events

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Horizon Burning posted:

did the agent ever post that stuff he had about star citizen's funding or whatever

There's definitely something that was promised that hasn't arrived, yes. Don't recall the subject. Could be the hint was that it was sensitive and needed to be redacted/anonymised in some way.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Horizon Burning posted:

It got bumped to Q4 2024. Remember The Agent posting roadmap is an estimate NOT a promise and is subject to change at any time.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 21, 2023

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
He said he was very busy and got a lot going on, but he will get around to it.

Much like Star Citizen, the epic about failing to develop a game, its leaks must also be ripened so they can be savored properly.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

colonelwest posted:

I'mma guess that the top-tier citizens don't exactly have busy social calendars.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Had a bit of a laugh going through the Hogwarts Legacy subreddit. For every one person enjoying the game there are like ten who complain that you should be forced to go to class and take tests and that sort of thing. Seems like there are more people wanting artificial lives outside the SC community.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Had a bit of a laugh going through the Hogwarts Legacy subreddit. For every one person enjoying the game there are like ten who complain that you should be forced to go to class and take tests and that sort of thing. Seems like there are more people wanting artificial lives outside the SC community.

Haha yeah I’ve seen all sorts of terrible takes from Potter fans on the game. It’s grown rear end adults wanting to fully live out a children’s magic school fantasy. They should be shocked with the worst form of electricity.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

I've known a lot of people who have wanted to live in harry potter world since the books came out. I'm not even a little surprised they want this game to be a life replacement.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hello checking in on the status updates for video game Star Citizen how cool is it these days?

I bet they've released so many worlds to play in

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen just released and I got an advanced copy by my main man Croberto himself!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

These really are the sort of people who power trip as "cops" on GTA and Gmod RP servers.

"Man I love doing hours of mindless bullshit to work off my prison time in a game!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

We might need another 400-500 million first, though. Buy a Nu-Idris, now with twice the polygons.

Reminds me of the 640x480 texture for a crossbow bolt in Daikatana

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

"Man I love doing hours of mindless bullshit to work off my prison time in a game!"

speak for yourself, I can't wait to virtually mop the floors on someone else's space-yacht

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Angry_Ed posted:

Reminds me of the 640x480 texture for a crossbow bolt in Daikatana

Even worse than that, it was apparently 1300x960 i.e. bigger than a typical monitor resolution.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
I just can't really believe it's been so many years since the glory days of this thread. I mean, how long has it been? A long time. And SC still shambles along.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

This poo poo is never happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

ashpanash posted:

Don’t worry, Qanons, the great military tribunal is definitely happening and the 10 days of darkness will come. You will be ushered into a grand new age and everyone who doubted you will grovel at your feet. It WILL happen. Don’t worry that it hasn’t happened yet. That’s all part of the plan. Trust the plan, even though you have no idea what it is.

SC and Q have that in common, the believers just need to have faith and then everything will be fixed by some 3rd party and then everyone who doubted you will be so sorry and your kids will have to talk to you again.