Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Elden Ring, I appreciate that the Lake of Rot contains pretty much only enemies that don't actually do damage, but only build up an instant death effect. Thanks to that you don't have to worry about using healing except for dealing with the turbo poison the area inflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I got Borderlands 3 for a hella of a deal on steam.

Shotguns now launching people is awesome. I had a really nice shotgun with bayonet where I would shoot enemies to launch them then stab them in midair.

There are, granted I’m only like 5 hours in, some very impressive gun variety in both how they look and how they shoot. Having to turn a car ignition to turn on my gun is very funny.

Some of the writing is really good. We finished a side mission where we were stealing a coffee mug from an enemy commander and everyone treating coffee like the single most important thing in the world was really funny. The rest of the writing is typical borderlands schlock.

Enemy scaling in multiplayer seems to be on a player by player basis. I had a friend join my world when I was level 6 and they were level 1 and they were able to contribute to the fighting. I remember borderlands as a series where being even 2 levels under someone means you do massively reduced damage so that was a nice surprise.

You get to spend time in a place that’s not a drab grey military base or a brown shithole. I was not expecting futuristic Tibetan monk aesthetic.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Feb 19, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm in the last couple of levels of Tomb Raider PS1 now, the Atlantis level specifically.

It's been interesting going back to the classic tomb raiders because of how so many mechanical things get taken for granted nowadays, for example, the manual for TR2 says that Lara can wade in shallow water -the first game doesn't have any shallow water, wading didn't exist yet. I hadn't noticed that it was either deep enough to swim or no water at all, until the manual from TR2 started talking about wading and I realised I hadn't seen that in 1. Also there's no flashlight because the game didn't HAVE a dynamic lighting engine, that came later in the series too. You don't notice how primitive some games are til you compare them to other games in the same series.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also there's no flashlight because the game didn't HAVE a dynamic lighting engine, that came later in the series too.

But you could throw flares, right? Little green glow-in-the-darks or something?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

credburn posted:

I haven't found any flares. I remember they existed in Last Revelation, but not in the first game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Elden Ring, I appreciate that the Lake of Rot contains pretty much only enemies that don't actually do damage, but only build up an instant death effect. Thanks to that you don't have to worry about using healing except for dealing with the turbo poison the area inflicts.

There’s another workaround too, but it’s something you might not even realize since they’re basilisks and not wolves/dogs: the Beast-repellant Torch deaggros them, they still do the initial leaping deathblight attack but are otherwise content to just stare at you

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm in the last couple of levels of Tomb Raider PS1 now, the Atlantis level specifically.

It's been interesting going back to the classic tomb raiders because of how so many mechanical things get taken for granted nowadays, for example, the manual for TR2 says that Lara can wade in shallow water -the first game doesn't have any shallow water, wading didn't exist yet. I hadn't noticed that it was either deep enough to swim or no water at all, until the manual from TR2 started talking about wading and I realised I hadn't seen that in 1. Also there's no flashlight because the game didn't HAVE a dynamic lighting engine, that came later in the series too. You don't notice how primitive some games are til you compare them to other games in the same series.

Also back in that day, and sometimes even now, even touching water in a lot of games instantly killed you.

The Tomb Raider series is kinda remembered for being one of the first games since the original Prince of Persia to be a platformer with an emphasis on more or less realistic action, that Lara moved around and reacted to things more or less like a real person.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

credburn posted:

didn't come in til tr2

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also back in that day, and sometimes even now, even touching water in a lot of games instantly killed you.

The Tomb Raider series is kinda remembered for being one of the first games since the original Prince of Persia to be a platformer with an emphasis on more or less realistic action, that Lara moved around and reacted to things more or less like a real person.

Didn't it start out as a Prince of Persia game...?

An Actual Princess posted:

didn't come in til tr2

This is some Barenstain Bears poo poo

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

This is some Barenstain Bears poo poo

3d card support, hair physics, rounded boobs, flares.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Vic posted:

3d card support, hair physics, rounded boobs, flares.

We didn't light the fire.

Did I do it? Did I do the joke right? :P

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BioEnchanted posted:

We didn't light the fire.

Did I do it? Did I do the joke right? :P

It was always burning

also they added quickturning!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I did a playthrough of the classic Tomb Raiders a while back and I recommend the expansion packs they did, which sees the devs experimenting with how far they can push the level designer.

TR2's The Golden Mask is particularly great, especially the Nightmare in Vegas level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0MrkzjgF_c

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Into the Radius is already the most memorable and engaging VR experience I've had, but they added a neat little feature in the last update that makes sniping way too much fun. The game already has a virtual stock mode that steadies your aim and makes long distance shots feasible, but now they also have focus mode, which allows you to take a breath, slow down time slightly, and steady your aim even more. What's brilliant about it is you have to already have a long weapon shouldered, and you have to take your thumb off of the control stick to press the button to activate it, so it's not a feature you can use reactively or while moving. It's purely just for when you're standing still and want to pull off a sick-nasty sniper shot.

And holy poo poo does it light up a great little part of my brain to strap a 4x scope to the side rail of my SCAR and bullseye a void monster with a single shot from 100 meters away. It's the only VR sniping I've ever enjoyed and it's extremely rewarding after 40 hours of up-close encounters with a Makarov

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

BioEnchanted posted:

You don't notice how primitive some games are til you compare them to other games in the same series.

This got me thinking about Sonic 1 vs. Sonic 2 and the introduction of the spin dash. The spin dash certainly isn’t a “little thing” in the Sonic series but holy moley the difference it made in Sonic gameplay was insane. I feel like it completely changed level design philosophy and really gave weigh to Sonic’s “gotta go FAST” aesthetic. I remember a lot of levels in Sonic 1 having a lot of stop-n-go gameplay, especially Marble Zone, where where you have to wait for a moving platform. Whereas in Sonic 2, you can just zoom-zoom-zoom through levels.

Until you hit those underwater moving platforms in Chemical Plant Zone :bang:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

rip ken block :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow, I've finished Tomb Raider 1 and started 2 just to see how different it is and movement is SO much faster. Lara just feels like she runs faster now. Not a fan of how the secrets are just meaningless items, I liked that the first game had them be bonus pickups, but that may just be how it seems to far. They just don't seem that useful right now, although it's nice that the levels keep track of them. Barely started though, still on the first level. Also being able to save anywhere is a godsend.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, I've finished Tomb Raider 1 and started 2 just to see how different it is and movement is SO much faster. Lara just feels like she runs faster now. Not a fan of how the secrets are just meaningless items, I liked that the first game had them be bonus pickups, but that may just be how it seems to far. They just don't seem that useful right now, although it's nice that the levels keep track of them. Barely started though, still on the first level. Also being able to save anywhere is a godsend.

TR2 only gives you the bonus items if you find all 3 secrets in the level.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kanfy posted:

TR2 only gives you the bonus items if you find all 3 secrets in the level.

Funny you should say that (from opposite thread:)

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm not a fan of how Tomb Raider 2 does secrets. In the first game, finding a secret meant getting more resources and it felt rewarding even if you only found a single secret because of that. However, in 2 you have to find all three secrets in a level to get anything useful, so it feels less like rewarding you for exploring and more like punishing you for failing to explore thoroughly enough.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

You couldn't save anywhere in the first Tomb Raider?

What the gently caress is with my memory. I was certain you could drop little green flares and save anywhere. I didn't even have other Tomb Raiders, I only had the first one growing up.

You could do the handstand thing in the first one, right?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

You couldn't save anywhere in the first Tomb Raider?

What the gently caress is with my memory. I was certain you could drop little green flares and save anywhere. I didn't even have other Tomb Raiders, I only had the first one growing up.

You could do the handstand thing in the first one, right?

I don't remember the details, but Tomb Raider 1 had significantly different save systems on the PC and the Playstation, which might be a factor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I was a kid, for a short period I didn't have a memory card to go with my ps1. I was blown away by Crash Bandicoot's bonkers password system where it gave you a 20-some string cheat code comprised of ps1 face buttons for your exact completion. There are 8 million combinations. I still have no idea how they did it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

When I was a kid, for a short period I didn't have a memory card to go with my ps1. I was blown away by Crash Bandicoot's bonkers password system where it gave you a 20-some string cheat code comprised of ps1 face buttons for your exact completion. There are 8 million combinations. I still have no idea how they did it.

8 million combinations works out to 23 bits of data (2^23=8388608). That's 23 things like "has completed this level", "has redeemed this key", etc. I've never played Crash Bandicoot, but that still sounds kinda small...for comparison, the only data Super Mario World tracks is how many exits you've cleared, and there's 96 of them, which means any password would need to be able to represent 2^96 potential different states. Now, some of those states are impossible -- for example, you can't beat level 3 of the first zone without beating level 2. But the potential space is still vast.

That said, if you have 20 characters in your cheat code, and each one uses one of the 8 face buttons (ABXYUDLR), then that's actually 1 byte per character. And that means that your password space is 8^20, or about 1 quintillion different combinations. You can store 20*8=160 different flags that way. Still not enough to record things like "maximum score achieved on this level", but easily enough to track which levels you've beaten, what secret stuff is unlocked, etc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Our work is moving towards mandated 15-character passwords so maybe I'll just use some old Crash Bandicoot saves.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not gonna lie, I still don't understand how Animal Crossing passwords work. I'm probably just dumb but they seem like magic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Sun had the loving mother of all passwords.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lobok posted:

Our work is moving towards mandated 15-character passwords so maybe I'll just use some old Crash Bandicoot saves.

"Ok, I see X and O, but where the gently caress are the square and triangle buttons?"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ImpAtom posted:

When my friend got an SP I bought his old half busted launch GBA off him purely for the transfer yeah

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Ok, I see X and O, but where the gently caress are the square and triangle buttons?"

Squares I know how to do. Just have to email some emojis and then get them from the Sent folder.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

8 million combinations works out to 23 bits of data (2^23=8388608). That's 23 things like "has completed this level", "has redeemed this key", etc. I've never played Crash Bandicoot, but that still sounds kinda small...for comparison, the only data Super Mario World tracks is how many exits you've cleared, and there's 96 of them, which means any password would need to be able to represent 2^96 potential different states. Now, some of those states are impossible -- for example, you can't beat level 3 of the first zone without beating level 2. But the potential space is still vast.

That said, if you have 20 characters in your cheat code, and each one uses one of the 8 face buttons (ABXYUDLR), then that's actually 1 byte per character. And that means that your password space is 8^20, or about 1 quintillion different combinations. You can store 20*8=160 different flags that way. Still not enough to record things like "maximum score achieved on this level", but easily enough to track which levels you've beaten, what secret stuff is unlocked, etc.

This is kinda mindblowing especially about the potential space they had and didn't/couldn't use. Thank you for explaining it in such simple terms!

edit: And yeah, Crash actually is a pretty small game versus the numbers available! The wiki actually has the direct math which is cool:

LOL it was billions, not millions, I was misremembering. :cripes:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Feb 22, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

It must be seen to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbpRQ2-OvCo&t=164s

It's 6 pages long. Simply marvelous.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Now that I've beaten the first level in Tomb Raider 2 I just wanted to say that (while the secret system sucks as it more punishes failures to explore rather than just rewarding exploration by itself) I do like that the levels feel a lot more natural. Water just pools wherever and there are rock slides in random places that you can jump around and they don't lead anywhere. In 1 it felt like if there was a ledge, it was there to be used, whether for a secret or critical path, but the second game feels like they just happened to be there as some of them serve no real purpose.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fun fact, the famous "Justin Baily" cheat from the original Metroid that let you play as suitless Samus isn't a cheat at all. It's just a regular password that happens to be some guy's name. This code isn't even just for playing as suitless Samus, it starts you in Norfair, with the Varia suit, hi-jump, wave beam and screw attack, plus both Kraid and Ridley defeated. So a hell of a lot more than just starting suitless.

Since you have the Varia Suit, Samus has an alternate pallet, with green hair and pink skin. This is the source of the misconception that Samus had green hair in the original Metroid, she actually had brown!

The game does have one coded in cheat:

NARPAS SWORD0
000000 000000

This makes you invincible, have unlimited missiles and start in Brinstar with all upgrades. Any other code you can input is just a regular password, setting your starting point and what upgrades and health you have.

Veotax has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Feb 22, 2023

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Now that I've beaten the first level in Tomb Raider 2 I just wanted to say that (while the secret system sucks as it more punishes failures to explore rather than just rewarding exploration by itself) I do like that the levels feel a lot more natural. Water just pools wherever and there are rock slides in random places that you can jump around and they don't lead anywhere. In 1 it felt like if there was a ledge, it was there to be used, whether for a secret or critical path, but the second game feels like they just happened to be there as some of them serve no real purpose.

the first level is great but the next string of levels are terrible. beware.

I just played through the base trilogy a month ago and tr3 was definitely the best of the lot. 2 brought a lot more qol to the table but I think the levels are just dogshit

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Played the 2018 God of War since it came to PC to test my GPU upgrade. Fun game. Mostly. I'm a sucker for tough optional bosses, so as soon as i got that nail to open the locked vaults, i went Valkyrie hunting. Turns out, it would take me a long time and a lot of boring story progession before i could unlock the last few (Niflheim :argh: ).
But anyways, after the second story trip to the mountain and me finally getting access to the last Valkyrie realm, i said "gently caress Tyr's chamber" and went to complete the Valkyries.

I was so single minded that i completely missed the chests that appear when you beat Göndul in Muspelheim, and so completely missed that there's more trials in that realm until the very end of the game when i checked the achievements and went "... wait i thoguht i was done there".
Anyways. The fight against the Valkyrie queen Sigrun was fun, and hard, and everything i was hoping for - it kinda felt weird to go back to the boring old quest for the tower of Jötunheim after that. She's very much the optional superboss and supposed to be sort of a post-game challenge, i just did it at the earliest the game let me.

Well anyways, the fun little thing is that when you finally reach the long lost missing tower to Jötunheim, you can light the last fire on top of it - and it gives you a charm that does something like decrease all damage taken from valkyries by 25% or something.

When I picked it up, Atreus said "Man, that would've been helpful in the fight against Sigrun, eh?" and Kratos gives an annoyed grunt.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Veotax posted:

Fun fact, the famous "Justin Baily" cheat from the original Metroid that let you play as suitless Samus isn't a cheat at all. It's just a regular password that happens to be some guy's name. This code isn't even just for playing as suitless Samus, it starts you in Norfair, with the Varia suit, hi-jump, wave beam and screw attack, plus both Kraid and Ridley defeated. So a hell of a lot more than just starting suitless.

Since you have the Varia Suit, Samus has an alternate pallet, with green hair and pink skin. This is the source of the misconception that Samus had green hair in the original Metroid, she actually had brown!

The game does have one coded in cheat:

NARPAS SWORD0
000000 000000

This makes you invincible, have unlimited missiles and start in Brinstar with all upgrades. Any other code you can input is just a regular password, setting your starting point and what upgrades and health you have.

My favorite one of these is the original Metal Gear accepts the password “FUCKME11111111” or however it fits in the spaces, and it puts you on the second to last screen in the game with no ammunition.

It’s been claimed that it’s unintentional, but I don’t believe it.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Any conversation around game passwords wouldn’t be complete without a mention of River City Ransom

(Yes that’s 6733 possible combinations)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The only ones I'm familiar with are the sandcastle codes from Banjo Kazooie. :allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've only played a bit of the original River City Ransom but it feels like the primordial ancestor of a shocking about of Japanese open-world style games, including Shenmue and Yakuza. Probably how you raise your stats by eating every kind of meal. And how Kunio goes from beating the poo poo out of everyone on the streets to being very polite and cheerful sitting down for lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

HenryEx posted:

Well anyways, the fun little thing is that when you finally reach the long lost missing tower to Jötunheim, you can light the last fire on top of it - and it gives you a charm that does something like decrease all damage taken from valkyries by 25% or something.

When I picked it up, Atreus said "Man, that would've been helpful in the fight against Sigrun, eh?" and Kratos gives an annoyed grunt.

GoW Ragnarok solves this problem by just not letting you access the superboss equivalent until you beat the main story.

There's also a different superboss that I think you can challenge before hand, but the postgame spawns some relatively easy enemy camps that are meant to be your source of the final tier of upgrade materials for some armor and shields before you go take on the hardest ones.