Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Okay but Genesys iirc had some good stupid like the Arnold terminator bonding with the liquid metal t-1000 stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FFT posted:

Okay but Genesys iirc had some good stupid like the Arnold terminator bonding with the liquid metal t-1000 stuff

Also, magnetic brass knuckles.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Now I want to see 2 Terminators programmed with martial arts skills and loving each other up MMA or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu style

Also, the Predator talk reminds me that I still need to watch "Prey"

I watched Glass Onion and it was pretty decent but I thought that the ending basically being reduced to a revenge fantasy instead of a clever "just one more thing" moment from Blanc in a whodunnit film was a little unsatisfying

When I finished it, I immediately went over to Tubi and watched some Columbo episodes

Well, I mean Benoit was pretty pissed off at what it ended up being as well. You aren't alone in this.

Dammit I just realized the dude who played the Asian cop in Genesys want the same dude who played Jimmy woo in the MCU and now I feel dumb and racist.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Feb 20, 2023

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

BiggerBoat posted:

Now I want to see 2 Terminators programmed with martial arts skills and loving each other up MMA or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu style.

Any excuse to post the TSCC elevator fight.
https://youtu.be/jv-NI4X_Amg

For a show with a tv budget, they had some pretty memorable showdowns.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BiggerBoat posted:

Now I want to see 2 Terminators programmed with martial arts skills and loving each other up MMA or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu style

Isn't MMA basically just a marketing gimmick for Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (which has little to do with OG jiu-jitsu but is very effective but not very cinematic since 90% of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is just dudes laying on the ground and grappling each other)?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Last of Us Episode 3 Why is Bill, the survivalist, capable of laying traps and possessing an entire armor of weapons, standing in the middle of the street to engage in a firefight with a bunch of raiders? I understand he might want to draw fire away from the the house with Frank inside, but you can also accomplish that with a machine gun in the second floor of another building. Great episode otherwise.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

The closest thing you're gonna get is an episode from the 1960's Avengers tv-series, that specifically inspired the Terminator the movie franchise. Episode is called The Cybernauts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cybernauts and mostly holds up if seen with fresh eyes today.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't MMA basically just a marketing gimmick for Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (which has little to do with OG jiu-jitsu but is very effective but not very cinematic since 90% of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is just dudes laying on the ground and grappling each other)?

The original UFC tournament was kinda that, nowadays pure BJJ is less popular but you definitely need some kind of grappling to compete at high levels.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

OG jiu-jitsu has swords and nunchucks and whatnot which is probably not very practical but looks cool.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It makes some sense that terminators wouldn't have any intelligent way to break each other.

10. THROW TARGET THROUGH WALL
20. GOTO 10

would work pretty well for everything they're designed to fight

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Brute force algorithms.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

OG jiu-jitsu has swords and nunchucks and whatnot which is probably not very practical but looks cool.

Hard disagree, stabbing someone with a sword sounds like a great strategy in an unarmed fight

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Foxfire_ posted:

It makes some sense that terminators wouldn't have any intelligent way to break each other.

10. THROW TARGET THROUGH WALL
20. GOTO 10

would work pretty well for everything they're designed to fight

In T2 the T1000 knew exactly where to impale Arnie to knock out his primary power supply, so it's assumed they have an idea of each other's weak points.

Using acid to melt the T100 in the other sequel was creative but it would have been a more entertaining throwback to douse it in liquid nitrogen, shatter it, then just microwave the little pieces afterwards or something.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

The Last of Us Episode 3 Why is Bill, the survivalist, capable of laying traps and possessing an entire armor of weapons, standing in the middle of the street to engage in a firefight with a bunch of raiders? I understand he might want to draw fire away from the the house with Frank inside, but you can also accomplish that with a machine gun in the second floor of another building. Great episode otherwise.

so that he could be dramatically gutshot. I hope that helps.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Potential explanation: Bill is good at planning things out ahead of time but isn't good at thinking straight in the heat of the moment.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Potential explanation: Bill is good at planning things out ahead of time but isn't good at thinking straight in the heat of the moment.
More Last of Us Ep3 He probably hasn't meet anyone aside from Joel & Tess since Frank first arrived. It is possible that this has let Bill to somewhat lower his guard, so he goes to check what was tripping his alarms with a gun thinking it is a zombie and gets caught in the open with his pants down when the raiders starts shooting. Then he just panicks and starts blasting away.

For how good he was at hypoteticals (IE: set up the preppy bunker, built a fortress), he has been shown to be bad at handling people every single time - heck, he immediately invites Frank, the first person who fell into one of his traps, inside...voiding most of his previous preparation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That was kind of the root of the joke I was attempting, yes.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Finally got around to watching Prey and it's incredible right up until the easter egg at the end pulled me out of the film completely.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched Glass Onion and it was pretty decent but I thought that the ending basically being reduced to a revenge fantasy instead of a clever "just one more thing" moment from Blanc in a whodunnit film was a little unsatisfying

When I finished it, I immediately went over to Tubi and watched some Columbo episodes

Yeah, but as was pointed out, he could only show the truth, not bring about justice. The only way justice could be performed was by Helen acting out as she did, because the only other witnesses would just clam up and refuse to incriminate the big bad.

I mean, I do think it was much more farcical than the first one, and not as good, but I thought it was perfectly fine.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Samovar posted:

I mean, I do think it was much more farcical than the first one, and not as good, but I thought it was perfectly fine.

It's main selling point for me, I found the first one po faced and obvious.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I spent way too long thinking Aubrey plaza was in prey.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pilchenstein posted:

Finally got around to watching Prey and it's incredible right up until the easter egg at the end pulled me out of the film completely.

You mean the gun that ties things back to Predator 2? I thought it was a nice touch honestly, wish more movies would include little nods or canon like that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I thought Pilchenstein was talking about the predator ships showing up in the credits animation.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Big same.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BOOTY-ADE posted:

You mean the gun that ties things back to Predator 2? I thought it was a nice touch honestly, wish more movies would include little nods or canon like that.

yeah that worked great imo. its just there, no wink no nudge. it makes sense for where she is and it doesnt require you to have a seen any of the other films

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BiggerBoat posted:

That was kind of the root of the joke I was attempting, yes.

Sorry

Keep in mind that I'm not very smart and was probably drunk.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sorry

Keep in mind that I'm not very smart and was probably drunk.

Don't even worry about. I make lovely jokes on this forum all the time.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah that worked great imo. its just there, no wink no nudge. it makes sense for where she is and it doesnt require you to have a seen any of the other films
The vibe of that scene is celebrating her victory against the odds and the obvious implication of the gun is that the predators come back and murder her for it, which kind of dulls the mood and goes against the ending of the film it's directly referencing, where they give that gun away as a prize for beating one of their own in a fair fight. It is, as it says above the door to this thread, a tiny thing that it's irrational to be irritated by :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pilchenstein posted:

The vibe of that scene is celebrating her victory against the odds and the obvious implication of the gun is that the predators come back and murder her for it, which kind of dulls the mood and goes against the ending of the film it's directly referencing, where they give that gun away as a prize for beating one of their own in a fair fight. It is, as it says above the door to this thread, a tiny thing that it's irrational to be irritated by :v:

Maybe she gives it to them as a consolation prize after kicking their rear end again :shobon:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean, technically it can mean that either she, or one of her tribe was worthy of a hunt and passed it along as a treasured keepsake. Doesn't really mean she gets hunted and died, just means someone in her tribe went up against em and put up a hell of a fight.

Yea it's not fantastic options but it's not the ONLY thing it can mean.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I just watched the new Antman. I like to have fun, so I let a lot of poo poo slide, and it is pretty fun. The part that got me though was in the credits scene: When they have all the Kang variants in some temple, it feels very "Council of Rick's". I'm sure someone is going to let me know that is what R&M was spoofing in the first place, but it was still the first thing I thought of and it made it feel very hokey.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You guys would be VERY confused if you ever watched Legion.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ommin posted:

I just watched the new Antman. I like to have fun, so I let a lot of poo poo slide, and it is pretty fun. The part that got me though was in the credits scene: When they have all the Kang variants in some temple, it feels very "Council of Rick's". I'm sure someone is going to let me know that is what R&M was spoofing in the first place, but it was still the first thing I thought of and it made it feel very hokey.

There is an equivalent in the comics but IIRC in that case it’s actually just the same Kang from different points of his very long timeline

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

MokBa posted:

Legion was a ride. I get a lot of the criticisms of the show, but I really enjoyed how much they were willing to just go wild with it, especially in season three

Hamish Linklater will always be the square dude at his first rave in Groove to me, though

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MokBa posted:

Everyone who watched Legion was confused.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Alhazred posted:

Everyone who watched Legion was confused.

I was confused the first time I saw Downton Abbey and realized the awful truth that Dan Stevens is British

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

christmas boots posted:

There is an equivalent in the comics but IIRC in that case it’s actually just the same Kang from different points of his very long timeline
That makes sense, but this was definitely multiversal because there were different alien versions of him, not just human.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I assumed Council of Ricks was based off the Fantastic Four and the Council of Reeds

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I was confused the first time I saw Downton Abbey and realized the awful truth that Dan Stevens is British

I was confused why anyone liked that show because every character was insufferable and British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mauser posted:

I was confused why anyone liked that show because every character was insufferable and British.

But you repeat yourself.