Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In fairness, pulling a Jumanji and starting with the characters as actual players and doing a fish out of water thing would help it set the movie apart from your typical action-fantasy flick.

That’s pretty much all you could do though, the D&D setting itself is just as bland and generic as every other fantasy setting.

D&D's settings are about as interesting as you (or the DM) writes it. Even the 'default' Forgotten Realms has enough weird stuff like the interdimensional illithid-gith conflict and demon politics.

Still, I am disappointed WOTC doesn't do more with Eberron. A world undergoing magic-based industrial revolution with trains, aircrafts and sentient robots have so much potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Gonz posted:

My knowledge of D&D is limited, but even I know that it’s not really a D&D movie without a gelatinous cube.

And I saw one in that trailer, so, uh….so far so good?

Those mad lads at Kid Robot have done it

They've made gelatinous cubes

ADORABLE!!! :glomp:

These are apparently actual licensed D&D : Honor Among Thieves merchandise. Or if mimics are more your thing, they've got that covered too. Did I mention they glow in the dark?

e: unrelated but too good not to share

Cool Kids Club Soda fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 21, 2023

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a big pet peeve for me when you have a fantasy world and every character just talks like they stepped out of a Marvel movie. Yeah, I kind of actually do want it to take itself seriously - doesn't mean it can't have any comedy in it, but it just looks like generic blockbuster pap to me and not the cool fantasy epic that I would ideally want a DnD movie to be. Like aside from production values being much higher and some better casting, it practically looks identical in style to the 2000 DnD movie.

Maybe it'll still be alright for what it is, but you ain't getting me into the theater for that poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

HJE-Cobra posted:

You could use the players at the table as a framing device for the story, do like a Princess Bride kind of thing where you show players around the table occasionally, have the DM as the narrator.

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising did that and it was quite good for what it was.

Honestly, that's probably the best D&D movie we're ever going to get.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Vandar posted:

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising did that and it was quite good for what it was.

Honestly, that's probably the best D&D movie we're ever going to get.

The six minute BG3 intro has got to be the best D&D movie out there. Leaning straight into the weird.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Great now all I can think about is the PS2 game summoner with the D&D animated skit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did they ever call back to that in Harmontown?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Dragonslayer is the best D&D movie :colbert:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Gamers (that's the 2000's era student film that cuts between nerds in a dorm and larp level cosplay of their adventure, right?) is exactly that, yeah. It's also, anecdotally, quite amusing to people that play and a complete dud for everyone else.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like most movies, television shows, etc about roleplaying games use the framing device of showing people playing the game around a table. If anything the first D&D movie is an anomaly at this point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Tarsem Singh's Dungeons and Dragons (2006)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Zack Snyder's Darths & Droids

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Here are my issues with the D&D movie trailer:

1) The humor blows
2) World-ending stakes blow blow blow
3) A better D&D movie would lean into a retro 80s look and feel in its vibe and production design

The third one is my problem, the first two are the movie's problem.

For once I just want the stakes of one of these fantasy properties to be about stealing a treasure or killing a big skeleton guy in a dungeon. I guess that just doesn't feel "epic" enough to justify a movie in the eyes of some studio executive, but it's way closer to what an average D&D campaign's story and scope is.

First season of The Witcher kinda had that vibe, but jettisoned it for subsequent seasons.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 21, 2023

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
One of the issues with any kind of D&D movie is you're going to get wildly different takes on what a D&D movie should feel like.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

You could use the players at the table as a framing device for the story, do like a Princess Bride kind of thing where you show players around the table occasionally, have the DM as the narrator.

I would hate this.

Enough with the meta poo poo (as I continue to read and write meta poo poo lol)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Dragonslayer 13th Warrior is the best D&D movie :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

For once I just want the stakes of one of these fantasy properties to be about stealing a treasure or killing a big skeleton guy in a dungeon. I guess that just doesn't feel "epic" enough to justify a movie in the eyes of some studio executive, but it's way closer to what an average D&D campaign's story and scope is.

You know, I agree with this, it's not even a fantasy thing either. Everything these days needs to be a big epic that leads to several sequels. It would be nice to have a "small" self-contained story, without a sequel hook.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Gamers (that's the 2000's era student film that cuts between nerds in a dorm and larp level cosplay of their adventure, right?) is exactly that, yeah. It's also, anecdotally, quite amusing to people that play and a complete dud for everyone else.

The sequel, Gamers 2, is also pretty solid.

Never saw the third one and learning that the creators did like 10+ minute walk n talk at a convention about Firefly I sorta passed on anything else they did after that.

Also I still like the third D&D movie, because it's 100% "GM's first evil campaign" right down to all the clichés of a Paladin masquerading as an evil guy (and forced to do eeeeevil things), and that one player who really, really loves playing evil characters.
The story is naff but it's so fun seeing all the clichés being played seriously that I can't help but to love it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This discussion is making me remember how much I enjoyed Zero Charisma. If they were ever to do a "players get sucked into the game" thing, basing it on that sort of group dynamic would be the only way I think I'd be able to enjoy it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

That asking questions scene is 1000x better than any quippy Marvel dialogue. Quip is fine! All of our beloved Harrison Ford and Arnold characters had quip, moxy, spunk, etc. The difference is when you use the humor to undercut any dramatic or tense moments and pull the viewer straight out of the movie, which is running the Joss Whedon playbook - something Marvel just can not stop doing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

The sequel, Gamers 2, is also pretty solid.

Never saw the third one and learning that the creators did like 10+ minute walk n talk at a convention about Firefly I sorta passed on anything else they did after that.

Also I still like the third D&D movie, because it's 100% "GM's first evil campaign" right down to all the clichés of a Paladin masquerading as an evil guy (and forced to do eeeeevil things), and that one player who really, really loves playing evil characters.
The story is naff but it's so fun seeing all the clichés being played seriously that I can't help but to love it.

The third was poo poo, it was about a tcg tournament and just didn't work.

The second one (the aforementioned Dorkness Rising) is really good though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’d like an epic World’s Largest Dungeon movie with the climax being that end boss in the dungeon. It seemed amazingly epic

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ocean's Eleven, But It's The Tomb Of Horrors.

...it's gonna take a lot more than eleven guys, isn't it?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
as long as we keep getting a steady supply of fantasy movies, i'll take some "hey what's up guys" as long as i get "greetings traveler, long hath i awaited thee" sometimes too

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

as long as we keep getting a steady supply of fantasy movies, i'll take some "hey what's up guys" as long as i get "greetings traveler, long hath i awaited thee" sometimes too

How about you get it in the same scene, and the first guy then says "Oh right, we're in the North now!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just give me a brand new 80's style sword and sandals movie, that's all I want

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8OIFXrD6o

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

as long as we keep getting a steady supply of fantasy movies, i'll take some "hey what's up guys" as long as i get "bear seek seek lest" sometimes too

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In fairness, pulling a Jumanji and starting with the characters as actual players and doing a fish out of water thing would help it set the movie apart from your typical action-fantasy flick.

That’s pretty much all you could do though, the D&D setting itself is just as bland and generic as every other fantasy setting.

True of Forgotten Realms, but D&D has actually cool and funs ettings that for some reason they don't use as much as loving Forgotten Realms.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

MonsieurChoc posted:

True of Forgotten Realms, but D&D has actually cool and funs ettings that for some reason they don't use as much as loving Forgotten Realms.

I like my halflings cannibalistic and my thri-kreen psionic

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark Sun movie when, you cowards?

RAVENLOFT MOVIE WHEN?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

"You did NOT just say that."

*"Back in Black" starts playing*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is Spelljammer part of Forgotten Realms? I’d be down for a wild sci-fi/fantasy blend with living organic ships and colonial space hippos.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is Spelljammer part of Forgotten Realms? I’d be down for a wild sci-fi/fantasy blend with living organic ships and colonial space hippos.

Spelljammer lets you fly your space catamaran between settings if you feel like it

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Grab a Bloody Mary with Strahd, then hop over and humiliate the Red Wizards of Thay on your way to recruit some copper draconians

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Figure out how to adapt Planescape Torment and then do that.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Featuring Kevin Hart as Morte

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vandar posted:

Dark Sun movie when, you cowards?

RAVENLOFT MOVIE WHEN?

Just two hours of the party trying to convince Strahd to work on himself and maybe he could get the girl

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Grendels Dad posted:

Zack Snyder's Darths & Droids

bowl of white cheddar cheese puffs goes flying slow motionishly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Featuring Kevin Hart as Morte

:frogout: