Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gatto Grigio posted:

Oh, that will be interesting to see! I think my complaint about the origins/clade thing is that it feels nondiagetic and unnecessary other than for Brand Identity. The concept of splats in general is ok, but it often feels forced and awkwardly handled.
Splats were great, at first. They functioned as character classes in games without character classes, and at their best, hooked people into the setting. But in a decade they did like 9 games with corebooks, and they all had splats. Character types without splats were uneven and treated as ancillary, and in the case of Mummy they came back around and repackaged them with splats. It got really old and felt really forced by the end.

I remember having these online arguments where I'd say that splats are tired and overdone to the point of being implausible, and people would reply that it's a successful business model and a tool for new players, and we just kinda talked past each other. But I don't think Mummy: the Resurrection was anybody's first White Wolf game. Hunter is another game where the splats felt really, really forced and unnecessary.

MJ12 posted:

I think if you really wanted to make Vancian casting a thing in a clean-sheet RPG, a good way to do it is to let every PC be a spellcaster with a spell list but only a small number of spell slots, and remove the idea of a 'dedicated spellcaster' in general. So fighters would get combat-related spells, Rogues might get espionage-related spells, etc. If you blow all your spells, you can still contribute in your niche in a more mundane fashion.

It'd be an interesting experiment IMO, although I doubt D&D could withstand such a change because D&D is, at this point in time, a game based around being a D&D simulator.

srhall79 posted:

My little reading of Jack Vance, I recall the caster, quite powerful, able to contain just four spells in his head. Granted, the spells did seem more powerful than much of a D&D wizard's spellbook. It worked well for fiction, setting things up so each spell would be used.
Here are a few, I guess I'll call them, interrelated suggestions.

First is what MJ12 suggests: go the Runequest route and give everybody magic relevant to their role. If you're taking actual inspiration from Vance, well, anybody can memorize spells as long as they can read a spellbook and memorize a long formula that has a sort of Lovecraftian sentience, and speak the command word correctly. (Assuming you're using a contemporary edition of D&D and arcane spellcasting is based on INT, wizards will just get more spells than everybody else.)

Another way is to change the paradigm where spellcasters get lots of spells and are mostly poo poo at everything else. Turjan of Miir could only memorize 4 or 5 spells, but he could also ride, track, fight, sneak, bargain and do everything a lone sword-and-sorcery protagonist needs to do.

As I recall, the spells he memorized for his first big adventure were Time Stop (Spell of the Slow Hour), Invisibility (Phandaal's Mantle of Stealth), Magic Missile (The Excellent Prismatic Spray), and a plot device spell that summoned a cloud which he rode to another dimension like Mario skipping levels.

It's not such a big deal for the Wizard to be able to do everybody else's job if they can only do it a few times per day and Knock is competing with Time Stop for the same spell slot. In general, I think the answer has to include both reducing the total number of spells per day and making the Wizard something other than a helpless babby when the spells run out.

(Oddly, I've never seen any D&D style game do the kind of spellcasting that appears in Vance's Rhialto stories, where the most powerful wizards mostly set aside spells in favour of doing all their magic through sandestins, various types of djinn and such with godlike powers. The Dying Earth RPG even suggests a "martial" counterpart to these archwizards.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Halloween Jack posted:

Splats were great, at first. They functioned as character classes in games without character classes, and at their best, hooked people into the setting. But in a decade they did like 9 games with corebooks, and they all had splats. Character types without splats were uneven and treated as ancillary, and in the case of Mummy they came back around and repackaged them with splats. It got really old and felt really forced by the end.

I remember having these online arguments where I'd say that splats are tired and overdone to the point of being implausible, and people would reply that it's a successful business model and a tool for new players, and we just kinda talked past each other. But I don't think Mummy: the Resurrection was anybody's first White Wolf game. Hunter is another game where the splats felt really, really forced and unnecessary.

The best is when they tried to force it without any real understanding of the purpose that splats were supposed to serve, so you ended up with Warrior, Guardian, Spiritualist, Trickster, and <Confused Noncomittal Grunt>

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

I recall changeling 20th saying that childling wilder and grump were phases you could move between, but in general C20 cleaned up a lot of dumb poo poo. Scientists weren’t inherently banal, although there were certainly banal scientists.

Correct. You can be an old childling or a young grump, so to speak.

As for my experience with people playing different kiths mentioned thus far:

Boggans: As this was before Lord of the Rings (the movies), nobody cared about playing a hobbit. They were NPC support staff all night and day and I can't particularly blame anybody not giving them a closer look. It is only the most dedicated of player who's going to look for a spicy hook there.

Eshu: Really cool concept that was also sadly underplayed, although one or two people were really good at spinning up a story when they blew into town (or 'logged onto WW's chatrooms'). Eshu are just fun. Their kithbook was written by somebody who really loved them and it showed... to the point where it made them a bit too extra with their own sub-kith of nobility that was Super Special (although their thing was being rooted to a place, so it wasn't as fun). Good kith, though. Stamp of approval.

Nockers: You know what most players don't want to hear? That their splat is ugly. For some this is catnip but for most it means they take a pass. Nockers don't even have any attribute penalties for Appearance so it's just weird flavor. That said I never saw many play them as most of them would just want to make overpowered chimerical death machines because gamers. That said I have fond memories of a good friend who basically played Tank Girl but a nocker and built Killdozer.

Pooka: Can pooka be Changeling's kender? Yes! Do they have to be? I tell you goons, no, they do not. You have to get over some players going "I WANT TO BE A TIGER POOKA" or similar and who really just actually want to play Werewolf and the others who play 'innocent trickster' as just colossal dicks because 'in character' but they don't have to be. Their kith book went over some ways that 'not telling the truth' didn't have to be 'bald faced lie.'

Redcaps: Like nockers, but worse. The few who played redcaps did so for the aesthetics. Being mean and ugly is not for all tastes. They're fun if you break out of the stereotype as 'hyper aggressive thug' and play them with a complete personality, not unlike Brujah and not unlike Brujah that doesn't mean you can't also be a hyper aggressive thug.

Saytr: Hoo boy. It is tough riding herd on a kith whose deal RAW is getting laid. They bring players... who think they're players. Other players are not big fans of being told they have to drop everything to have an orgy because the satyr player toots as he pleases. Very quickly it was disallowed to let anybody we didn't know real well make one. There are some cool concepts with a satyr but... I mean, really, are we sure Phil Brucato didn't have a hand in their development? Their C20 power is much revised. It's more about making it easy to party, not the musical prelude to a letter to Penthouse.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

I recall changeling 20th saying that childling wilder and grump were phases you could move between, but in general C20 cleaned up a lot of dumb poo poo. Scientists weren’t inherently banal, although there were certainly banal scientists.

Figure there's Banal everything. That bit I took my Rips-Out-Lungs thing from was, IIRC, part of the original Changeling jumpstart with the Autumn Person owning a toy store.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

The best is when they tried to force it without any real understanding of the purpose that splats were supposed to serve, so you ended up with Warrior, Guardian, Spiritualist, Trickster, and <Confused Noncomittal Grunt>
Don't forget 1e Exalted, which had Fighty, Sneaky, Leadery, Brainy, and poo poo We Have Some Skills Left Over for the Solar splats.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Everyone posted:

Figure there's Banal everything. That bit I took my Rips-Out-Lungs thing from was, IIRC, part of the original Changeling jumpstart with the Autumn Person owning a toy store.

You are correct, you nailed a scene from "Toys Will Be Toys" pretty accurately. Other than the Garou :v:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Soulbound: Era of the Beast

Morathi's counter-rampage ends only when she runs into Kragnos himself. Her spells are unable to pierce his mighty shield, Tuskbreaker, and even her massive monster-body cannot defeat him. Morathi almost falls in battle, but is saved by the intervention of Lord Kroak, who combines his spells with hers to tear a hole in reality and hurl Kragnos through it, stranding him in the Ghurish hinterlands.

Kroak made an illusion of Draconith warriors which he chased into the portal.

Morathi-Khaine is willing to admit that Kragnos is physically powerful, but she has no respect for him due to his simpleminded nature.

I think the shadow snek goddess is huffing copium here, seeing as it wasn't she who managed to trick Kragnos and take advantage of his simple-minded nature..

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Warden posted:

I think the shadow snek goddess is huffing copium here, seeing as it wasn't she who managed to trick Kragnos and take advantage of his simple-minded nature..

I mean Morathi (and Nagash) is "I'm genious!......OH NO" meme already

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Zereth posted:

Don't forget 1e Exalted, which had Fighty, Sneaky, Leadery, Brainy, and poo poo We Have Some Skills Left Over for the Solar splats.

I mean 2e had the same with the Dragonblooded.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Joylessdivisions World of Dorkness Presents: Changeling the Dreaming
Part 4

Sidhe (Shee)

The exiled nobility of the Dreaming, the Sidhe remember when they were the undisputed rulers of the Dreaming. Known and feared as the “Good Folk”, their whims enchanted and terrified mortals for millennia.

For the Sidhe, the age of wonder has ended, and they mourn its passing, though this mourning does not cripple them. Though they fear death and Banality like few other Fae, they stare back at oblivion and sneer. Older Kithain consider them cold and arrogant, which is true, however their refusal to lie down and die is their greatest strength. Beautiful and terrifying as any dream, they pursue their return to the Dreaming with fanatical dedication.

Some Sidhe however grow hopeless and self-indulgent, allowing their freeholds to fall into disrepair, while others become Unseelie tyrants, ruling through cruelty and intrigue. Some simply drop out of the nobility games and live among the commoners. Notorious for switching between courts without warning, it is little wonder that so few of the Kithain trust them. No matter what they choose to do, the Sidhe always do it with grace, and while they may seem detached, those close to them know the blessing and curse of the Sidhe is to live more deeply in the Dreaming world than most Fae ever will, giving them a glazed and unfocused air.

Banality is a deadly curse to them, as they suffer more under its crushing weight than other Fae. Death is likewise a great terror for them, as they do not reincarnate as other Fae do upon death. Some consent to being given a wake, few do as they will reincarnate as a Commoner, considered a fate worse than death. These two elements weigh heavily on the Sidhe mind, and they deeply resent the Arcadian Fae for locking them out of paradise. Some quest for a return to Arcadia, while others throw themselves into orgies of Glamour gathering, as they cannot bear the thought of simply fading away.

They inspire a supernatural awe, even in other Kithain and their very presence in their true form will capture the hearts of mortals and color the Dreaming. And angry Sidhe is such a terrible sight that even Redcaps hesitate in attacking a raging noble. All Sidhe are dignified, with courtly manners and social grace, and it is nearly impossible to make them look foolish (despite the best efforts of the Pooka) and their passions run deep, never forgetting a love or slight. Whatever course they choose, they follow it with a ruler’s power and a lion’s courage.

Appearance:

All Sidhe resemble humans of unearthly beauty, perfect bodies with pleasing features and rich and colorful hair, pointed ears, angular features and a commanding gaze. Ethereal and carrying a hint of sadness even when laughing, they are tall and lean, fierce and regal, their eyes are odd yet striking colors and are rarely seen wearing anything but the finest clothes.

Seemings:

Childling highborns are spoiled, and even the best will throw tantrums when things don’t go their way.

Wilder are proud and spirited, indulging every whim in youth and assuming knightly honors later.

Grumps are regal but sad, distracted by the weight of their positions, yearning for their lost youth.

Lifestyles:

The bluest of blue bloods, they hold most Fae lands through title and often hold influential positions in the mortal world.

Affinity: Because they have spent less time on earth than the other Kithain, they have yet to develop an affinity.

Birthrights:

-Awe and Beauty: Radiating power with their mere presence, all Sidhe get two extra dots in Appearance (even if it bumps the trait over 5) and always stand out in a crowd. Difficulties associated with Social rolls (especially Empathy or Intimidation) made by an impassioned Sidhe are lowered by two. Anyone who attempts to attack an angry Sidhe directly must make a Willpower roll (difficulty 6 or higher if facing a powerful lord or lady)

-Noble Bearing: All Sidhe are dignified, any Cantrip that would make them look foolish immediately fails and Sidhe cannot botch on Etiquette rolls.

Frailties:

-Banalities Curse: Banality affects the Sidhe as if it were one point higher than it actually is, and each point of Banality earned is two points instead. They are also prone to fits of depression that are overcome by switching between their Legacies.

Sidhe are fine, I personally wouldn’t play one because I generally don’t have a ton of interest in the nobility elements of this game, and considering the Sidhe are basically the noble Kith, it just doesn’t appeal. Noble Bearing is a pretty dope power though, if maybe a little limited in it’s potential use.

Sluagh (Sloo-ahh)

The outcast of Fae society, even the Redcaps are afraid of them, with good reason. Even the Seelie Slaugh prize their secrecy and do not view strangers with kindness. Intruders into their domains regularly leave with nightmares.

Of course, the Slaugh enjoy the effect they have on outsiders, as there is a power and grim humor in the disgust of others. They are unsettlingly polite, despite Boggan rumors of secret rituals and wild carnage in their hidden subterranean homes. Referred to as “Underfolk” by surface dwelling Kithain, the Slaugh are rumored to have originated in Russia, living under mountains and in mortal hearths. Now, they live in the out of sight cracks of the world, hidden until they choose to visit their surface-dwelling neighbors. Occasionally they will openly visit the surface courts, making friends and making oathbonds with outsiders to the great confusion of the Kithain who dwell above.

Just as Boggans are fond of collecting secrets, the Slaugh do as well, sometimes even selling the information to interested parties. Some try to use their knowledge for noble reasons, many are happy to make a living through blackmail. They have an affinity for broken toys, strange knickknacks and vulgar souvenirs as objects of trade, and the value they place on these objects mystifies others.

All Slaugh are said to follow the Unseelie ways, though rarely do they throw in with one court or the other, content to keep to themselves instead. Among their own kind, they are generous and painfully formal, regarding each other with deep respect and banding together against outsiders when necessary. This teamwork tends to make intruders a rarity, as those that attempt it are dogged, harassed by voices and shadows just out of sight, showered with unthinkable things and finally ambushed if they still haven’t taken the hint.

The Slaugh speak in whispers, unable to speak any louder. Social interactions irritate them when forced to participate, and like most Fae, the Slaugh are contrary, orders given are typically ignored or perverted out of sheer spite. Despite their reputation, most of the Slaugh are not evil or stupid, just strange, often going out of their way to aid or protect an outsider who has been kind to them. These acts of kindness are typically misinterpreted by more suspicious Kithain. For the Slaugh, revelation is joy, and the more unsettling the revelation, the greater the joy. Using other Kithain as social guinea pigs, they toy with the expectations of others and study their relationships. Perhaps simple curiosity drives them, or this voyeurism is a form of revenge, striking back at their “betters” by digging through their dirt. After all, success is the sweetest revenge.

Appearance:

Pale and grotesque, but oddly compelling, the Slaugh seem to have an unnamable deformity that clings to them. Their human seemings can be morbidly attractive, but their Fae forms lack teeth and have small, tired and mysterious eyes. Regardless of form, they smell vaguely of decay, an attribute that only increases with age. They favor archaic, often intricate black clothing

Seemings:

Childlings resemble drowned rats, skittish, wild eyed and awkward. The definition of street urchins.

Wilder underfolk are pranksters and defenders of hidden places, generally shorter than the average human with dark, hollow eyes and elongated limbs and digits.

Grumps have papery skin that peels more frequently with age, as their hair becomes streaked with gray, and their bodies become stooped and crooked.

Lifestyles:

Rulers of the sewers, crawl spaces and access corridors the world over. Civil to each other but notoriously shy and territorial, in their human seemings they are generally hermits, street people or mad geniuses with hidden labs.

Affinity: Prop

Birthrights:

-Squirm: by dislocating their joints and squirming, Slaugh can easily escape from bonds or imprisonment. They cannot change their basic shape or mass; however, they can contort into disquieting shapes with an unnatural ease. A Dexterity + Athletics roll (difficulty 6 to 10) is required and takes several turns to accomplish. If the bonds are made of Cold Iron, the birthright is negated.

-Sharpened Senses: Difficulty of all Perception rolls made by the Slaugh are lowered by two (to a minimum difficulty 3) as well as being able to see through illusions with a Perception + Alertness (difficulty 7) roll and cannot botch Stealth or Alertness rolls. The downside is that they have an aversion to light and loud noises, increasing difficulties by two or more.

Frailties:

-Whisper: Slaugh cannot speak above a whisper, no matter how hard they try, making it difficult for them to be heard and understood. They are also agoraphobic, adding a +2 to the difficulty of any Social rolls.

Okay, if you said “Well surely he’ll like the Sluagh because he likes all the goth groups in these games”, shut up you don’t know me! But yeah, I do totally love the Sluagh. I am a simple man, I love me some goth characters in my spooky RPG, and the Sluagh are just the kind of sad weirdo characters that I empathize with and am interested in exploring. The only being able to speak in whispers bit actually sounds like a very fun thing to roleplay at the table, and is a great general character trait. Squirm sounds extremely useful, but the downside for Sharpened Senses feels a little harsh with the increase to difficulties, but also makes sense from a narrative point so I think it balances itself out.

Trolls (Trol)

Warriors without peer, duty, strength and honor are the trademarks of the Trolls. They revere the old ways of plain speaking and simple truths. Other Kithain speak of Trolls as being as reliable as the mountains and as reliable as the spring snow melt, though most consider them hopelessly naïve, the Trolls see trust and dedication as the measures of their worth.

Guardians by destiny, Trolls are the bedrock of many a freehold and a kingdom is only as safe as long as its Trolls can be trusted. Honor is a way of being for them, and a Troll who breaks a trust will weaken until the offending deed has been atoned for. Many Trolls expect this same honesty of all Fae and are bitterly disappointed regularly. Trolls of the Seelie court are known as Giants and have a Nordic look to them, ruggedly proud and handsome, while their Unseelie brethren, sometimes known as Ogres, are massive cavemen, hairy and coarse featured. Regardless of their legacies, all Trolls have rumbling voices and great strength and size. Most Trolls see their strength as a gift from the divine and consider using it without just cause to be unbecoming. The Pooka, Eshu and Satyrs have plenty of fun at Trolls' expense, and it is a testament to their patience that the offenders are not more regularly beaten into submission. When a Troll’s patience has been exhausted however, they fly into monstrous rages that leave everyone and everything around them in pieces until they calm down or are taken down.

Even the foolhardiest Pooka knows when to cut the poo poo when dealing with a Troll. A brave and stoic lot, even the Unseelie display steadfast courage. They are simple, not stupid folk, with a tendency to trust others too much. Unlike the common image of Trolls, they are civilized, using formal titles when addressing other Kithain, hold doors open for ladies and dedicate their souls to those they treasure. Ardent romantics, they will go all out when courting a lover.

Ancient legends say that the Trolls were the first noble Kith, and that when the Sidhe appeared a great war began. Unfortunately for the Trolls, they lost, but graciously swore loyalty to their new rulers, an oath that binds them to this day. Unseelie bards have been known to recount these tales in Troll run holdings, with less than subtle intimations that the Giants take back their rightful place as rulers. Most Trolls simply toss the Bards out, but on occasion the idea takes root and a Troll band revolts. Even Sidhe knights fear such insurrections.

Preferring a simple lifestyle, Trolls dress and home furnishings are simple and practical, while the Unseelie tend to be slobs, leaving trash and remains in their wake, the Seelie by contrast keep clean, spartan living quarters. Some say a Troll’s anger can be gauged by the darkening of their eyes.

Appearance:

Trolls are large, between seven and nine feet tall with thick bones and weightlifter's muscles. Giants carry an air of nobility about them, favoring a Nordic look, they have slaty blue skin and thick black hair. All Trolls have icy blue or pale green eyes and large powerful jaws with wolflike teeth and small ridged horns on their foreheads.

Seemings:

Childling Trolls do not remain young for long, though protected, they are encouraged to assume an honorable age and put childhood aside

Wilders have reached their prime, and often remain this age for decades or centuries

Grumps are slower, but stronger than their younger counterparts. Frequently they settle into the exclusive guardianship of a place or person.

Lifestyles:

Favoring the wilderness over cities, their mortal seemings tend towards being athletes, police officers, rangers, and farmers. Regardless of guise, they are notoriously honest.

Affinity: Fae

Birthrights:

-Titan’s Power: All Trolls are large and strong. Wilders gain an additional dot in Strength (even if it exceeds 5 dots) and a free Bruised health level. Grumps gain an additional dot of Strength and Bruised health level, however all their Dexterity rolls are increased by one. No Troll can botch an Athletics or Alertness roll.

-Stubbornness: Because of their devotion to duty, Trolls in service to a cause add two dice to all Willpower rolls.

Frailties:

-Bond of Duty: Tying a Trolls physical health to their duty, a Troll who reneges on a sworn contract or oath becomes sickly and loses their Titan’s Power. Only by atoning for the lapse of trust (usually by taking a new oath) can they regain their strength and durability.

I love the Trolls. This is a Kith I could absolutely see myself playing either as a Grump doing the parent thing for a younger changeling or the stoic warrior or something. Trolls are loving cool, big hosses with honor. I love them so much. Maybe the best Kith? At least one that has potential to be very fun to play narratively and mechanically because Titan’s Power is crazy good. Boosts to Strength and an extra health level, plus you can’t botch two very commonly used ability rolls? Hell Yes.

Houses

Yay, more nobility stuff.

House Dougal

Founded by the great Fae smith Lord Dougal, who first mastered the weaving of Glamour into steel so that the Fae could handle it, members of the house are practical, gruff and good with their hands. Precise in their speech, House Dougal members are focused on a love of architecture, mechanics and smith working. Those that become rulers govern their fiefs in practical, matter of fact ways. The Blazon of the house is three golden gears on a red field above a black arm and hammer on a gold field.

Boon: Once per story, members of House Dougal can convert temporary Glamour points into temporary Willpower, up to the limit of their current Willpower. This must be done during physical exertion, such as hard work, exercise or participation in combat.

Flaw: Sidhe of House Dougal always have a physical handicap that must be compensated for with cunning craftsmanship. This handicap extends to their mortal Seeming as well.

House Eiluned (Ee-loon-ed)

Known as the House of Secrets, Eiluned is tainted by the reputation of its founder, Lady Eiluned, a sorceress who has dealt with dark and mysterious beings. Fae of this house are valued for their vast knowledge, uncanny ability to gather secrets and natural talent for intrigue. Fiefs controlled by members of Eiluned are full of secrets, and it is said that the house voluntarily accepted exile to Earth as punishment for some long-forgotten crime against the Dreaming. The house’s blazon features two silver crescent moons on black above a black pentacle on silver.

Boon: House Eiluned’s magic has always been stronger than that of the other houses, and all Cantrips cast by Eiluned Fae gain an automatic additional success.

Flaw: Members of this house are unable to prevent themselves from investigating mysteries and frequently display a treacherous streak. The difficulty of all social rolls made by these Fae is raised by one, and they must spend a point of Willpower to avoid investigating a mystery or involving themselves in a plot.

House Fiona

Passion defines this house, and it is said that its founder, Lady Fiona, stayed on earth for love of its pleasures (while some say it was for love of a mortal). Fae of this house are known for their skill in the arts, their tempestuous passions and radical views. Overly fond of physical pleasures, they are often called away from higher pursuits to chase their baser desires. Perhaps the most accommodating of the houses, House Fiona is the most laissez-faire, with members rarely pulling rank on commoners and the fiefs they control being happy albeit a bit wild. While the house claims to have hundreds of traditions and customs that are followed in strict fashion, no two members can agree what they are. The house blazon features a silver lion walking on a red field, looking over its shoulder.

Boon: The Sidhe of House Fiona are known for their great courage, and any attempt, either magical or natural, to generate fear in them automatically fails, unless their lovers life is threatened.

Flaw: Drawn to epic and usually tragic romances, House Fiona Fae tend to fall in love with outlaws, strangers and mortals. While some of these romances prove true and cannot be denied, some of the houses overcome this flaw by becoming hateful towards all romance and obsess over preventing it, especially within their own house.

House Gwydion

Perhaps the most “Noble” of the houses, Lord Gwydion was a brave knight who remained on earth to defend the other houses from the impending doom of Banality. Members of the house tend to be conservative, duty-bound and focused on the entirety of the Fae, rather than themselves, though when in power they rule by extreme arrogance, believing that only those of their house are fit to rule. Known for a bloodthirsty streak, the warriors of this house are known to go berserk when angered. The blazon features a gold falcon, facing left with a gold leaf in its beak, wings raised, and legs splayed against a green field.

Boon: On a successful Perception + Kenning roll (difficulty is the target’s Willpower), members of House Gwydion can sense if someone is speaking the truth (as they know it). For reasons unknown, members of House Eiluned are immune to this power.

Flaw: While great warriors, members of this house are prone to great rages. Whenever they reach the “Wounded” health level (either through chimerical or physical damage) or their honor is insulted, they must make a Willpower roll (difficulty 5). Failing the roll sends them into berserk rage, with the threat of potentially attacking allies. During this rage they ignore all penalties related to health level.

House Liam

The quietest of the houses, its founder was exiled to earth because of his love of mortals. For many years, it was only Liam who stood against those that wished to slaughter all the mortals. The members of this house do not see their charges as perfect, however they feel that humanity has earned the right to exist and are well known for their hatred of Ravaging and Banality. House Liam members do not typically advertise their allegiance, as many of the other houses look down on them, though House Gwydion will not allow them to be mistreated. The house blazon features a silver oak tree with bare branches and exposed roots on a blue field.)

Boon: Members of House Liam can enchant mortals at the cost of one less point of Glamour than would normally be needed, however they also start with an additional point of Banality because of their mortal affiliations.

Flaw: Members are considered oathbroken, and as such, no Kithain feels obligated to honor oathbonds, hospitality or justice in relation to House Liam members.

The houses are all fine, as I said previously the more nobility focused elements of this game don’t grab me, it's just not the kind of game I’m generally interested in, and while I understand it’s place here and its analogues in Wraith and Vampire, it still feels like the least interesting aspect of the game to actually interact with.

Legacies

Each changeling chooses a Seelie and Unseelie legacy and followd the appropriate legacy depending on how they wish to be perceived. A change in legacy during gameplay is expected and should be brought to the ST’s attention when the player realizes it. Provided are the various legacies along with their Quest and Ban, with quests explaining how to regain Willpower, and bans acting as a guideline for roleplaying and not a law.

Seelie Legacies

-Bumpkin: Prepared for most eventualities, you love to solve concrete problems and pointing out obvious solutions. You don’t trust innovation for its own sake, but it’s an acceptable means to an end.
Quest- Whenever you apply a practical solution to any problem, you regain Willpower
Ban- Never act above your station, never look down on anyone.

-Courtier: Great students of etiquette, psychology and all the little details of how sentient beings relate to each other. Because of your acumen for negotiation and compromise, you are the glue that holds a group together. Harmony is your purpose in life.
Quest- Whenever you manage to make your group more stable, you regain Willpower
Ban- Never violate the prevailing social norms

-Crafter: The world is an imperfect place, and it needs people like you to shape it into a more pleasing form. You love order and meaning, not as means to an end but as tools, needed techniques in your workshop of life. The desired product is a well-crafted whole, united in meaning, effect and form, shaped with unerring technique out of the crude materials you started with.
Quest- Your life’s work is creation, whether material or social. Willpower is regained whenever you improve the value of something through hard work and effort, leaving it better than when you found it.
Ban- Never leave a place or situation without improving it in some way.

-Hermit: Reclusive by nature and preferring your own company to that of others, you tend to withdraw to solitary places, preferring a life of seclusion and quiet.
Quest- Whenever you find the solution to a problem through inner reflection rather than brash action, you regain Willpower.
Ban- Never reveal your inner spiritual life to anyone. Never grant a straight answer to any question.

-Orchid: You have lived a pampered life, but now circumstances have forced you into the big, wide world. While you fervently wish someone would come along and rescue you, it’s hard to tell the heroes from the monsters.
Quest- Whenever you manage to escape a dangerous or frightening situation with your sense of well-being and innocence intact, you regain Willpower.
Ban- Never trust a stranger, never reveal yourself to anyone.

-Paladin: The quintessential competitor, your story is that of the brave, stalwart hero or athlete. Without the trill of striving against others (or yourself), life quickly becomes dull and meaningless.
Quest- Whenever you successfully overcome a truly challenging situation, you regain Willpower
Ban- Never refuse a fair challenge

-Regent: The living embodiment of a realm, the one chosen to speak for many. More than any other Kithain, you feel the heavy burden of bans, duties, and ritual obligations. As your realm fares, so you fare.
Quest- Whenever you successfully resolve a tough situation through your own leadership, regain Willpower.
Ban- Never compromise or shirk your law, whatever it may be.

-Sage: You are the advisor, wise one or teacher. You have traveled to many places and seen many things. While you tend to live a threadbare, seemingly aimless life, those who come to you for advice can always count on you to guide them onto the right path. As for yourself, you seek only wisdom and the answers to enigmas.
Quest-Regain Willpower whenever another follows your advice and succeeds at their chosen task.
Ban- Never stand in another's chosen way.

-Saint: You feel the pain of others and strive to ease their suffering. You are more concerned with sustaining and repairing those around you than with creating or destroying. Time and uncontrolled change are your enemies.
Quest- Regain Willpower whenever you manage to protect someone else or alleviate someone’s suffering.
Ban- Never cause distress, willingly or unwillingly.

-Troubadour: The world is a majestic, beautiful place and all events can be interpreted as works of art. You walk in beauty and feel emotions more strongly than other people. You are confident that somewhere out there waits an ideal, perfect place, person or situation, your true love. Someday you’ll find it, and everything will be perfect. Until then, the world is a stirring place.
Quest- Regain Willpower whenever you complete a task in the name of a higher ideal (Love, friendship, romance, etc.)
Ban- Never hide your feelings of love or affection.

-Wayfarer: Your story is that of the endless wanderer, the rootless child with nowhere to rest. You live for the moment, without thought for the past or future, which tends to land you in the most amusing situations. Fortunately, you’ve always managed to extricate yourself from these situations through cleverness and skill.
Quest- Whenever you survive a life-threatening scene through your own cleverness, you regain Willpower.
Ban- Never plan for the future.

Unseelie Legacies

-Beast: You are the roaring, hungering monster. You conquer all who oppose you, destroying them if possible. All exist for your pleasure and often you draw others to you in order to destroy them in your lair.
Quest- Whenever you manage to remove significant opposition to your goals, you regain Willpower.
Ban- Never retreat, never compromise your territory.

-Fatalist: Everything in the world is deeply flawed and the only joy to be found is in pointing out these flaws to others. Because everything is doomed to end disastrously, there is no reason to struggle. Better to dwell on the gloomy failures of the present than tire yourself out by becoming a failure in the future.
Quest- Regain Willpower when you prove to others the world is fundamentally flawed
Ban- Never laugh except in bitter disappointment.

-Fool: There is no meaning in the world, no reason for anything. You are the divine trickster, the one who laughs last. What the humorless masses cannot understand is that you aren’t seeking anything deeper than your own amusement. In the end they are as foolish as you, more so because they have paid for their “meaning” with pain, struggle and boredom.
Quest- Regain Willpower whenever you manage to deflate the seriousness of any situation
Ban- Never search for the “whys” behind your life.

-Grotesque: You love disgusting others. The sicker, grosser and more horrible others find you, the happier you become. Perhaps it’s because it is the only way to gain the spotlight, or because frightening people is easier than earning love and respect, or it is because you are secretly convinced that you are truly worthless, and people’s reactions confirm this self-image. Or you just really enjoy being gross.
Quest- Regain Willpower whenever you cause someone to falter or lose composure.
Ban- Never display an overtly pleasant, appealing side to yourself.

-Outlaw: You owe society nothing while it owes you everything. You do not see yourself as a villain, instead you work against the monolithic culture that imprisons the freedom of the people living within. You feel that most people, knowing what you do, would make the same decisions.
Quest- Whenever you shake up the social status quo in some way, you regain Willpower.
Ban- Never do anything that helps others more than it hurts them in the long term.

-Peacock: You are the loveliest, smartest, best person in the world, and you want to make sure everyone knows it. You will do anything to gain and maintain others' notice, even resorting to tantrums or violence. Sometimes you help an ugly duckling find their own talents, but only to make yourself look generous.
Quest- Whenever you conclusively prove you’re the best at something, regain Willpower.
Ban- Never admit failure.

-Rake: The world is an unending stream of pleasure flowing towards you, and you are eager to absorb it all. You care little for other people but lavish unending time and devotion to worldly things. As part of your obsession, you are extremely selfish and refuse to share your accumulated wealth with anyone. It is best to keep a close eye on what you have and defend it from anyone and anything that might try to steal it.
Quest- Regain Willpower whenever you succeed in your pursuit of personal pleasure
Ban- Never give anything away without either hope of reward or a hard fight.

-Riddler: You are an enigma, in love with secrets and never giving a truly straight answer, even your outwardly straightforward utterances mask hidden meaning. Perhaps you simply tell lies, or you truly love secrets for their own sake. You are especially careful to shroud our own psyche in deepest mystery, and your greatest fear is that someone will learn who you really are.
Quest- Whenever you manage to confuse or mislead someone, regain Willpower.
Ban- Never allow others to discover the truth about your origins.

-Rogue: You don’t need to work for a living, there are so many others who can pay your way. You prefer the path of least resistance by letting the world work for you. When it’s time to collect rewards for hard labor, you’ll be there to take your cut off the top, but for now, relax.
Quest- Whenever you achieve something that you do not really deserve, you regain Willpower.
Ban- Never work.

-Savage: There is nothing but predation, reproduction and the law of the forest. The closer you come to the origin of life, the purer you become. The only viable way to live is like the naked animals of the forest, eating what you catch, mating when the urge strikes and fighting to establish superiority. Everything else is a senseless deviation from the purity of the prime.
Quest- Regain Willpower whenever you conquer “Civilized” foes through your own cunning and might.
Ban- Never indulge in civilized follies.

-Wretch: You have no positive self-image, assuming everyone hates you as much as you hate yourself. Sometimes you seek pity and aid from others, other times you seek to punish them for what you see as their unreasoning dislike of you.
Quest- Whenever others vilify you as worthless (even throwing up their hands in frustration, despairing of ever getting through to you) you regain Willpower.
Ban- Never admit to success.

Legacies feel like a more cohesive version of the Nature/Demeanor elements from the previous games, and I think they work pretty well here.

Attributes

Specialties

Any Attributes or Abilities rated at four or higher gains a specialty and allows for reroll of 10’s scored on actions directly involving the specialty. The player keeps the original 10 scored, and can reroll for additional attempts at success, rerolling any subsequent 10’s scored.

Strength
Covers the characters physical strength, with one dot equal to bench pressing 40lbs and five dots equal to benching 650lbs.

Dexterity
Measuring a character's general physical prowess, such as speed and agility, one dot is equal to utter klutziness, five dots equaling mastery to the point of juggling knives blindfolded.

Stamina
The measure of general health and resistance to pain, one dot equals a frail constitution while five dots equal superb, potentially Olympic competitor conditioning.

Social Attributes
These handle the characters' appearance, charm and familiarity with the human mind.

Charisma
Relating to the characters’ aptitude for enticing and fascinating others with one dot equal to people avoiding you and five dots equal to the ability to lead a nation.

Manipulation
How well can you convince someone to do something for you? One dot is equal to poorly expressing oneself in as few words as possible, and five dots equal to the selling a brush to a bald man (or ice to Eskimos)

Appearance
Your attractiveness and the force of your presence. One dot attracts the hostility of others while five dots give the first impression of awe, intense jealousy or complete solicitude.

Mental Attributes

Perception
Your awareness of the environment around you. One dot is blind to all but the most obvious, five dots allow for the finding of the impossible (a needle in a haystack)

Intelligence
Representing both memory and ability to learn and think. One dot is equal to an IQ of 80, five dots is equal to an IQ of 160+

Wits
Representing the ability to react quickly to new situations as well as general cleverness and sharpness of mind. One dot is equal to the mind that willingly sends money to a televangelist, five dots equal a mind like that of a supercomputer.

Abilities

Talents

The untrained and intuitive abilities, Talents are typically not learned via training (Brawl being an exception) but through direct experience within the story.

Alertness
Describes how alert and aware of your surroundings and the world in general you are. One dot equals a slightly above average awareness, while at five dots you notice everything.

Athletics
Describes your general athletic prowess and assumed familiarity with sports and complex physical activities requiring more than one motor action. Lifting a box does not use athletics while vaulting a fence would. One dot is equal to a Little Leaguer, and five dots are equal to an Olympic gold medalist.

Brawl
Handling all forms of hand to hand, generally non-lethal combat. One dot is equal to knowing how to throw a punch but without much experience, five dots is equal to a Golden Gloves boxing champion.

Dodge
Describes your ability to avoid both melee and projectile attacks. One dot is enough to hit the ground when someone yells “Duck” and five dots you’re essentially dodging bullets like Neo.

Empathy
Describes your ability to sympathize with and understand the emotions of others. At one dot, people approach at parties to offload their problems, at five dots you are capable of finishing others sentences.

Expression
Describes your ability to get your point across whether through written word or verbal debate. One dot is a tabloid reporter, five dots are equal to Shakespeare.

Intimidation
Describes your skill at intimidation, either through subtle suggestion or outright violence. One dot is enough to make a child give you the right of way, while five dots will send redcaps running from you.

Kenning
The ability to sense Glamour as well as analyze its power. One dot allows for seeing powerful chimera, five dots allow for the sensing of Glamour at great distances.

Streetwise
Describes both your familiarity with the local scene as well as your ability to gain information from it. One dot means you know who sells drugs, and five dots means if you are unaware of it, it hasn’t been said.

Subterfuge
How well you can conceal your motivations. One dot relates to telling a few white lies, while five dots would make Perry Mason jealous.

Other Talents
No dots are provided for these additional talents: Instruction, Intrigue, Search, and Seduction.

Skills

Refer to abilities that have been learned or studied. When attempting a feat involving a skill with no rating, the difficulty is increased by one.

Crafts
Allows for the crafting of items, the quality of which is dependent on number of dots in the skill. One dot is equal to that of a High School shop class, and five dots being equal to a master artisan.

Drive
Can you drive or not, with the difficulty increasing or decreasing depending on the number of dots. One dot is equal to driving an automatic, five dots allow for the ability to navigate LA traffic with ease.

Etiquette
You understand how to conduct yourself in both mortal and Kithain society. One dot being equal to knowing when to shut up, five dots being equal to the ability to avert a world war.

Firearms
How familiar you are with firearms, however, does not account for heavy machinery such as tanks or other artillery. One dot is equal to a lesson or two at a gun shop, five dots is total mastery.

Leadership
How well can you lead others and get them to obey you? One dot is enough to coach a Little League team, five dots is equivalent to a great leader, such as High King David.

Melee
Relates to proficiency with handheld weapons. One dot is equal to a six-week fencing course, five dots means that even dragons fear you.

Performance
Deals with your ability to artistically perform, such as singing or playing an instrument, however writing and speaking are not included here, instead they are covered by Expression. One dot is equal to playing in a garage band or college play, five dots mean your works will be remembered for ages.

Security
Relates to proficiency with tools used for such activities, such as lock picking or hot-wiring a car. One dot allows for picking a simple lock, five dots make for a master thief.

Stealth
How well you can hide and sneak, typically rolled against a target's Perception. One dot allows for hiding in the dark, five dots is equal to a master of a ninja clan.

Survival
How well do you know how to survive in the wilderness. If using Stealth in the wilderness, you cannot roll more die for Stealth than your Survival rating. One dot can survive a five-mile hike, five dots would allow for finding an oasis in Death Valley.

Other Skills
No provided dots for Archery, Boating Disguise, Piloting and Repair.

Knowledges
These abilities cover all mental related skills.

Computer
You understand how to operate and program computers. One dot is equal to knowing how to boot up a game, five dots would allow for potential creation of AI.

Enigmas
Assists in the solving of puzzles presented by the ST. One dot equals the ability to assemble a 100-piece puzzle, five dots equate to understanding the deepest mysteries.

Investigation
Provides the ability to find clues, perform forensic analysis and predict crime patterns. One dot is equal to an amateur detective, five dots equal Sherlock Holmes.

Law
Covers knowledge of the law. One dot is equal to practical knowledge or that of a police officer, five dots is equal to a Supreme Court Justice.

Linguistics
Each level of this ability equates to an additional language you are fluent in besides your native language.

Medicine
Related to the understanding of the structure and function of the body, the use of medicine and the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. One dot is equal to basic first aid, five dots is equal to a medical specialist.

Mythlore
Encompassing knowledge of the myths, legends and rituals of the Kithain and all things Fae. One dot is equal to knowing the names of the most common Kith’s, five dots is equal to knowing the secrets of Arcadia.

Occult
Knowledge of all areas related to the occult, including curses, voodoo, magic and mysticism. One dot is equal to dabbling, five dots are equal to full initiation into various great mysteries.

Politics
Relates to the familiarity with both mortal and Kithain politics. One dot is equal to an observer, five dots are equal to a Machiavelli.

Science
Related to the practical application of science. One dot is equal to being able to create smoke bombs from a chemistry set, five dots are equal to a scientific mind like Einstein.

Other Knowledges
These are not provided with dots: Art, Bureaucracy, Finance, Genealogy, Geography, History, Journalism, Military Science, Philosophy, Psychology, Theater, Theology.

Skills and Attributes are about the same as the previous books. One of these days I’ll actually compare two corebooks to each other to see if they really were just copying and pasting large chunks of this chapter between books. Other than the skills that are specific to that game like Mythlore.

Backgrounds

Backgrounds describe special advantages available to a character. How the character gained these backgrounds should be part of the character concept and be answered by the player while creating their character. Background traits can be used to gain info, resources or favors. Some attributes can be rolled with backgrounds such as Manipulation + Title to bully another Kithain into following an order.

Chimera
The player possesses a chimera (object, weapon, armor or creature) If a creature is chosen, the type, its appearance and personality must be specified by the player. Creatures will be allies that can aid the player when called and their power is based on the number of dots in the background. One dot is equal to a minor chimera, with five dots equaling an incredibly powerful chimera.

Contacts
Who do you know? Major contacts are friends and allies who will provide accurate information and should be fleshed out either during play or prior to the story beginning. Minor contacts are also covered by this background, however summoning minor contacts requires a Contacts roll at difficulty 7, with each success equal to reaching one minor contact. Each dot is equal to the same number of Major contacts.

Dreamers
A group of mortals you regularly patronize to gain Glamour. While not as reliable as the Retinue background, each dot is equal to the number of dreamers you patronize.

Gremayre
Relates to the characters connection to the Dreaming and unconscious knowledge of the Fae. Players can roll dice equal to their Gremayre score (difficulty 6) when needing to know something concerning the Fae. The number of successes determines how much information is gained, with one dot equal to hazy bits of information and five dots equaling astounding insight.

Holdings
Relates to the size of the characters personally held Freehold as well as how much Glamour they can gain from the freehold per day. One dot is equal to a very small freehold producing one Glamour a day, while five dots is a huge freehold producing five Glamour a day.

Mentor
The elder Fae who looks after the character and protects them from danger and informs them of social opportunities. One dot is equal to a Mentor who knows little, five dots equal a Mentor of great wisdom.

Resources
Describes the players' financial resources or their access to said resources. Each dot provides both the appropriate level of the trait as well as the monthly allowance the character can access. One dot is equal to a small savings and apartment, and if liquidated would net the character $1000 cash. Monthly allowance is $500, while five dots is fantastically rich with liquidated funds being $5,000,000 in cash and allowance of $30,000 a month.

Retinue
The number of enchanted mortals under your sway. A Retinue is always under your direct control either through Glamour or mundane means of control. Each member should have a weakness and members can leave or betray the player if treated poorly. One dot is equal to two members of the Retinue, with five dots equaling 32 members.

Title
Denotes the characters rank among Kithain society and bestows little actual power. One dot is Squire, and five dots are a Duke or Duchess.

Treasures
Items imbued with Glamour, giving them the power to perform specific Glamour based effects. Dot rating equals the power of the Treasure. One dot is a minor treasure, five dots are a treasure of incredible power.

Tempers

Temper describes the three core aspects of the character, Willpower, Glamour and Banality. Temper is not rolled, but instead simply spent. Temper scores are the points used to perform exceptional acts. Each has a Temporary (square) rating and a Permanent (circle) rating. The permanent rating describes the total potential of the character, while the temporary rating describes the current state. Spending a point of Willpower removes it from the square tracker.

Dice Pool Restrictions
The maximum number of dice cannot exceed your total Tempers score (adding up all the squares). Generally, this won’t be an issue, but comes into play more often later in a chronicle when the characters have been weakened.

Converting Points
If a player has no temporary points left in one of their Tempers, they can convert one permanent point into temporary points equal to their new permanent total.

When a player gains 10 temporary points of Banality, the ST can decide to inflict an extra point of permanent Banality.

Players cannot gain more temporary Glamour or Willpower than their permanent ratings.

I don’t remember if this mechanic of spending a permanent point in X element could grant a boost to the temporary pool of that element in the previous games. Maybe you could do always do that with Willpower? If it’s a new mechanic, I think it sounds pretty fair. If it’s an old mechanic that somehow just didn’t stick in my brain, well it’s still a good mechanic and I probably praised it before.

Glamour

The daydreaming spirit, it is also the power used to exert control over the Dreaming and casting Cantrips. All magic used by the Fae is known as Glamour and appears in Fae sight as multicolored light. Kithain must be subtle in their use of Glamour in front of other Kithain or risk alerting them.

Uses for Glamour

Spend one point to place an additional Bunk card

Create a token to enchant a mortal

A point of Glamour can be used to avoid discarding a Cantrip after use (or if using dice instead of cards, a point of Glamour is required to cast a Cantrip)

Can be spent to extend the duration of a Cantrip.

Gaining Glamour

Epiphany: Achieved through Ravaging, Rapture or Reverie

Sanctuary: Spending a night in a freehold grants one point of Glamour, and freeholds can only support X changelings equal to 2x its level. If the character does not dream, or their sleep is troubled or interrupted, the ST can choose to not grant the point of Glamour.

Dross: Most forms of Dross do not allow for restoration of Glamour but can be used in place of Glamour from the player's pool.

Losing Glamour

Temporary Glamour is lost by spending it, however permanent Glamour is lost with age. The transition from Childling to Wilder is a –1 permanent Glamour loss, as is Wilder to Grump.

Are you wondering why I mentioned “Cards” a couple of times there in the explanation of Glamour? Oh friends, just you wait until we get to the Arts section, all will become clear.....sort of.

Willpower
Measures the character's ability to control their urges and desires. Temporary Willpower fluctuates during the story and is rated on a 1 to 10 scale.

Using Willpower
-One point of Willpower can be used to gain an automatic success.

-Resisting a ST call of instinct or primal urge requires spending 1 Willpower

-Seeing through Bedlam or containing it requires at least 1 point of Willpower, with additional points required to control it further (though never permanently)

-Permanent Willpower must be purchased with XP, however temporary Willpower can be regained through the methods discussed below.

Recovering Willpower
-At the end of a story (not a session) the characters regain full Willpower

-Sleeping and dreaming while in mortal seeming grants 1 point of Willpower

tbc.......

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just can't get over how the moment they returned the Nobles conquered the Changelings who'd stayed on Earth, and even shanked them all in the Night of Cold Iron.

That'S the kind of thing that creates lasting grudges!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sidhe were the kith we had to say 'sorry, no openings' when it came to people wanting to play one because everyone wanted to play one. You know what's catnip to a player? Two dots for Appearance for free. Semi-related, while I do think the original idea was for the players in most WoD were to play the rebels of whatever society or at least ones fighting for some kind of change, Changeling didn't feel that way at all because oops, look, we have several noble houses with cool rules. (More would come later, including House Scathach, which is basically the house of brooding loners with trenchcoats and katanas.)

Sluagh and trolls are cool and good. No notes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

House Scathach is also the Hosue that stayed behind and were okay with commoner rule, making them the good kind of class traitors.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I love that they got DiTerlizzi to draw a bunch of weird elves again, I earnestly feel like the art in Changeling is notably better than in a lot of other WoD books, whatever its flaws.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just can't get over how the moment they returned the Nobles conquered the Changelings who'd stayed on Earth, and even shanked them all in the Night of Cold Iron.

That'S the kind of thing that creates lasting grudges!
Accurate! There’s an entire book about it (one of the last in the line unfortunately, iirc)! Sidhe are the villains of any proper CtD game.

From what I remember, Changeling particularly suffered from 1/early 2e WW’s “all the bad guys teams know each other and work together” mandates; “Seelie/Unseelie” are supposed to be a facets of your character they swap between (some more frequently than others), yet right out of the core book we get into “Unseelie is a permanent state and makes you BFFs with Sabbat vampires, Black Spiral Dancers, Pentex, and The Technocracy - all groups that naturally make sense working together, yes”

Even the core book wasn’t immune, presenting only the “Seelie” noble houses as options, which only calcified with the house splatbooks.

Dawgstar posted:

(More would come later, including House Scathach, which is basically the house of brooding loners with trenchcoats and katanas.)
Wasn’t Scathach the one whose deal was “we’re House Liam, but moreso”? I remember there being at least two “we’re the sidhe that stayed on Earth with the commoners” houses, which is A) confusing, B) heavily dilutes the concept, and C) probably shouldn’t be recognized by the returning sidhe as a noble house at all*?

*although this opens up a whole other :can: in that, iirc, part of the success of the returning sidhe was exploiting dormant Oaths and magics - swinging in and saying “I’m in charge” works better when The Dreaming itself says “it’s true, that dude’s in charge, your great x5 ancestors said so” and your freehold and own will respond as such
(and then where that doesn’t work, they shank the leaders with soul-killing iron and gaslight the rest with magic; sidhe are bastards**)

** this is without even starting on their “version” of the changeling way ritual

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I love that they got DiTerlizzi to draw a bunch of weird elves again, I earnestly feel like the art in Changeling is notably better than in a lot of other WoD books, whatever its flaws.

I agree with the cavet of anything that Tim Bradstreet did. He's easily my favorite of the OWOD artists

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Changeling historically had a problem with what I have seen described as "I'm not saying all Unseelie are murderous psychopaths? But all Unseelie are murderous psychopaths." They're theoretically player character options but all their Legacies are evil or deranged or both.

C20 attempted to fix this, and did by making the up-front description have them as legitimately being about passion and freedom and not hoarding Glamour, but whoever did their mechanics just copy-pasted all the evil/deranged Legacies with no changes, so.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Deviant: The Renegades, Chapter 4: Systems; Chapter 5: Antagonists (Pt. 1)

In theory, Deviants is entirely self-contained; the fourth chapter lays out the story how a system in concise terms well enough that you could theoretically use it to make and fighting human characters too. I really wouldn’t, the rules are sparse and constantly recommend checking the corebook for more information on important topics, but this chapter is neither a direct lift from its equivalent in the main book unedited to fit its new home nor so abbreviated as to be unusable. The only interesting thing there is new rules for what it calls “goon combat”. Essentially, combat-optimized deviants can take down basically any conventional enemy one-on-one and not all conspiracies have hordes of devoted or black ops troops to throw at problems, so you need a way to throw enough thugs at the party to threaten them without taking an hour to resolve all their turns. Goon combat takes any number of identical enemies and treats them as one’s vague character, each attack that does significant damage driving one or more enemies out of the fight. I’m not sure I’m a big fan, the way rolls work for goons means even a relatively small group gets terrifying bonuses to damage, but it’s certainly usable and worth checking out if you want something similar in your games.

Chapter 5 breaks down the conspiracies on a mechanical level. The conspiracy system doesn’t have a formal name as far as I’m aware, but the book calls campaigns that use it Web of Pain Chronicles, after the concept that links different conspiracies together, so I call it the web of pain system for short.

We start the chapter with fluff, discussing how conspiracies develop – while conspiracies can form anywhere in theory, they tend to precipitate wherever power gets expressed through ceremony or bureaucracy thick enough to repel outsiders, letting people concentrate power further while hidden by the system. Some conspiracies start out in the government, usually either as off-the-books programs or assembled by functionaries who discover something supernatural in the course of their duties and build a power base around it; these ones can be found everywhere from the federal government to the County Clerk’s office and tend to make great use of their inherent authority as government agents. Some start in the corporate world as either dedicated research teams or whole organizations founded around exploiting something; they vary wildly depending on how much oversight they get, but they usually have an eye on making use of deviants for material gain or advancing knowledge. Some are outright cults, either new religious movements or radical offshoots; they tend to be more isolated than most conspiracies, relying on their followers for influence. Some germinate at the top of society, either as decadent secret societies or sources of power; most of those rely on connections and deflect consequences onto others. And a few are outright criminal enterprises out to make a buck at the expense of others. But whatever they start as, most conspiracies turn into secretive organizations obsessed with control. Humans in the World of Darkness are weak and helpless in the face of supernatural creatures, and powerful people hate feeling helpless. To them, at least on psychological level, conspiracies are a survival mechanism that uses the supernatural against itself.

That brings me to the web of pain. I don’t think I’ve actually defined it yet, but the term refers to something specific: the way conspiracies endlessly network, meaning no deviants will ever run out of targets because they will always find someone else who had a hand in what happened to them. Conspiracies are never large enough to completely handle every situation they run into or they’d be too visible to count as a conspiracy; they either have to call in patsies (which runs the risk of exposure) or deal with other conspiracies. Sometimes they form alliances or merge outright, but usually they make deals where one conspiracy’s area of expertise compensates for weakness of another; a university department with a steady supply of cadavers “loses” some of them where a cannibalistic secret society can find them, and the society’s wealthy patrons donate to the university, funding their secret necromancy program. Some conspiracies hollow out others and use them as expendable shells, some fight turf wars over supplies or ideology, and some even split in civil war when one branch tries to purge a liability or the cabal at the top breaks down. However, invariably they route their connections to their peers through individual to limit how many people get burned if those connections break down. Since basically no conspiracy exists in complete isolation, that means even if a deviant completely destroys the conspiracy, in the process they’ll find the names of a couple representatives of other groups who helped them – and since they make natural conviction touchstones, it means the deviant is likely to latch onto them and start pursuing their conspiracy in turn. The web of pain is an endless nightmare for the people involved, and the very nature of divergence traps deviants into following it to their deaths.

That’s all fluff. Mechanically, conspiracies act half like Sine-Nomine style factions and half like ultra-simplified characters, right down to having a health track. To make one, you start with their standing, which corresponds directly to the threat level of the campaign (or whatever PC they created if different PCs use different threat levels). Standing goes from 1 to 10 with conspiracies below six rarely spanning more than a respectable country and ones at or above six being rare and exceedingly powerful. Every trait they have directly ties to their standing and is limited by it, though conspiracies can change their size and expand as they take actions during play.

Internally, conspiracies follow a sort of gamified cell structure. Some follow a true distributed cell structure in practice, some enforce an internal hierarchy, and some try to centralize power (which usually leads to internal chaos), but mechanically they all work the same. Each conspiracy has a number of nodes (specific component organizations and operations) determined by a standing, and each node comes in a specific flavor:
  • Hierarchical nodes represent whoever gives the orders, and all but the largest conspiracies only have one.
  • Temporal nodes are holdings, establishments, and investments. Police departments, law firms, secret libraries, huge bank accounts – it doesn't matter what, as long as it’s something the conspiracy invests in until it needs to break out the big guns.
  • Exploitative nodes are ways the conspiracy directly interacts with the world – stuff like deviant production lines, kill teams, smuggling rings, or even particularly strategic blackmail material, assets that don’t have the punch of temporal nodes but constantly give dividends. The game does a really bad job of explaining the difference between temporal and exploitative nodes, but I think that’s how it works.
  • Structural nodes handle logistics, whether we’re talking about a trucking company, the HR department, or cult functionaries. Hierarchical nodes use structural nodes to keep the other two nodes in line and on task.
Each node has a linchpin, a single character that holds it together (usually its leader, but sometimes the power behind the throne or just that one clerk who knows everything). Some nodes (usually half the conspiracy’s standing rounded up) also have icons, specific mechanical bonuses the node provides the conspiracy; the book doesn’t give concrete guidelines on what looked like, but it has a few examples I’ll be cribbing from when we get to conspiracy creation. On a structural level, players attack conspiracies by identifying a node, removing the linchpin to destroy it, and following the links that lead to other groups to find more nodes.

But we haven’t talked about how conspiracies are mechanically-speaking simplified characters yet! Let’s start with base stats. Instead of the full nine attributes, conspiracies have power (used for big, immediately impactful actions in the outside world), finesse (used for more subtle external actions), and resistance (for purely internal actions). To use power, finesse, or resistance, the conspiracy needs at least one intact temporal, exploitative, or structural node respectively, and taking out all the relevant nodes in a category limits what they can do until they reestablish them. Conspiracies also get virtues and vices (though in this case virtue describes what members are willing to sacrifice pursuing their goals and vice represents some indulgence or distraction its internal culture permits), as well as aspirations in the form of principles. Principles are simple long-term goals in the form of declarative statements that guide a conspiracy’s planning. They both serve as storyteller tools to streamline conspiracy behavior and as things the players can challenge to damage their health track (which I’ll get to next paragraph).

Finally, you get a couple other bits to round out everything. Every conspiracy has as many connections to other conspiracies as it has structural nodes (the book implies those connections should be between structural node linchpins but there’s nothing stopping you from making those connections whenever you want), plus an optional one between the hierarchical node and another conspiracy it’s allied to. Finally, you put together the association track with three + resistance boxes, literally the conspiracy’s health track – as in, they take bashing damage from minor sabotage and subversion, lethal damage from destroyed nodes and exposure, and aggravated damage from destroyed hierarchical nodes. While conspiracies can replace destroyed nodes and heal damage with some effort using downtime actions (I’ll talk about conspiracy actions next update), if the association track fills with lethal damage, the conspiracy begins to die and takes one aggravated damage per session, unable to do anything other than hemorrhage members until the track fills up and it dissolves. Conspiracies can flush anything short of that by permanently eliminating a node or decreasing their stats, but replacing an inactive node is a lot easier than re-creating it entirely – and if a conspiracy has fewer active nodes than its standing or it loses its last active hierarchical node, it collapses on the spot.

That said, I think it’s time for me to take a break before delving into how conspiracies work and play – and I’ll do that by discussing conspiracy creation and making one to show it off. We left off the first session at the end of the character creation, where people transition into talking about the conspiracies that made them. I said earlier the book assumes you’ll be fine with multiple conspiracies active, but that’s only half right; buried in this section it tells you most games will either have a bunch of conspiracies or just one big one, and recommends even if you have lots of conspiracies, you should only focus on one at a time. Each additional PC that comes from conspiracy adds a couple attribute points and a node, meaning even small-time conspiracies producing small-time deviants can end up surprisingly powerful and complex if they made the whole party. With standing and stat values out of the way, the storyteller puts together the principles, virtues, and vices of each conspiracy with the input of the table, then lets players design one node each for the conspiracy that made their characters and half the icons (rounded up) for each conspiracy. The web of pain structure does not exist purely as a DM tool; it’s something players can see and plan based on, a contract with them that lets them influence the course of the campaign. After that, the storyteller assigns attributes, makes the rest of the icons and nodes, and fills out the web of pain for everyone involved in private (presumably after the first session wraps), and the campaign is good to go.

So let’s go ahead and map out the project that created Janet according to these rules; I’ll be doing Shael’s much more elaborate conspiracy next update, but here we can break down what a simpler conspiracy looks like.

quote:

Name: Project Charlie Echo Sierra
Standing: 2
Connected Characters: Janet Montreras
Principles: we must make the science repeatable; ask what you can do for your country; the future relies on brawn and brains together.
Virtue: Well-Funded
Vice: Paranoid
Actions: 1
Association: 7
Attributes
  • Power: 4
  • Finesse: 2
  • Resistance: 4
Hierarchical Nodes
  • PCES Command: the organ in charge of coordinating the project, consisting of scientists, officers, and bureaucrats sworn to secrecy. Linchpin: Gen. I.L. Frank, bitter USAF research division grandee.
Temporal Nodes
  • New Camden Airbase: otherwise unremarkable airbase used as a recruiting ground, coordination center, and meeting point in case of emergencies. Linchpin: Cmdr. Brian Nelson, heartless head of base staff.
  • Walkerfield Project Labs: the top-secret location where scientists create deviants for military use. Linchpin: Dr. Osmanoglu, amoral government scientist.
Exploitative Nodes
  • Suborned Recruiters: a group of USAF bureaucrats with connections across the military in charge of quietly identifying potential volunteers and routing them to the project. Linchpin: Mary Townsend, snake oil recruiter. (Patriotism: Townsend brings her long experience as a former recruiter for the Church of the Deep into both convincing potential volunteers and fudging the paperwork. Whenever the project recruits another devoted, it gains an additional devoted for no extra effort).
Structural Nodes
  • Room 178: a quiet office in another city where bureaucrats handle the project’s logistics and paperwork, often not even realizing what they’re working with. Linchpin: Max Huguenot, well-informed minor functionary.

So, a few notes:
  • It took me about two hours to assemble this thing, but I spent the vast majority of that time dithering on fluff choices before giving up and deciding it didn’t really matter. Once I committed to getting everything down, the whole process took maybe 20 minutes.
  • Note that one of Janet’s conviction touchstones is a linchpin. There’s nothing stopping you from naming linchpins as touchstones, and in fact the book implies you should do that regularly as a way to drive narrative action.
  • Note how some nodes are groups of people and some are physical locations. Judging by the examples in the back of the book, most conspiracies have a roughly even mix of those and (if the conspiracy’s big enough) front companies and organizations
  • I still can’t tell you what makes a good or bad icon; the book gives next to no guidance there and it just throws examples at us. It does, however, provide a full mechanical breakdown of over a dozen conspiracies in the settings section, all of which have unique icons of their own, so I just stole one.
  • As relatively small conspiracy, PCES here has just enough nodes to cover all four categories, so taking out the right nodes can prevent it from acting entirely in certain ways until it takes the time to set a new node up; smaller and tightly focused conspiracies may lack nodes in certain categories entirely, and standing 1 conspiracies don’t have enough nodes to fill all four categories in the first place.
But we are hardly done yet. I’ll be referring back to our little sample conspiracy here as we go forward, because next up will cover how conspiracies work during the campaign, what devoted actually are, and what a much larger and more developed conspiracy looks like.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Rand Brittain posted:

Changeling historically had a problem with what I have seen described as "I'm not saying all Unseelie are murderous psychopaths? But all Unseelie are murderous psychopaths." They're theoretically player character options but all their Legacies are evil or deranged or both.

C20 attempted to fix this, and did by making the up-front description have them as legitimately being about passion and freedom and not hoarding Glamour, but whoever did their mechanics just copy-pasted all the evil/deranged Legacies with no changes, so.

I mean, given that in the basis material all fairies are psychopaths and the difference is whether they dance with you until you die or just hack your head off with a rusty scythe, that's at least some improvement.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I just keep getting distracted by the art. Is this someone using an electrified fish as a weaponr?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

PurpleXVI posted:

I just keep getting distracted by the art. Is this someone using an electrified fish as a weaponr?
Listen: Manticores help you how they can, not how you'd like.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Deviant's Art is just so weird, and not in a good way. I keep wondering what the hell it's depicting, and the monochrome color scheme doesn't help with a lot of the perspective problems.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Listen: Manticores help you how they can, not how you'd like.

I’d have taken the manticore companion merit for an character and made one if the entry wasn’t just the book going “fuckin’… Have the storyteller make something up worth the points, I don’t care”. The art’s a lot bigger in its natural habitat and I had to shrink it down so it looked good in the update, so I doubt that helps how it looks. Sizing it down, however, doesn’t change the fact that the art direction thought, say, a lady T-posing a poorly photoshopped demon to show dominance was good, evocative artwork.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah that's really the composition is just so bad, it's not evocation, and largely confusing.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Falconier111 posted:

I’d have taken the manticore companion merit for an character and made one if the entry wasn’t just the book going “fuckin’… Have the storyteller make something up worth the points, I don’t care”.
Yeah that's one of those places I'm hoping the various companion-piece PDFs have additional rules, when they come out, roughly a million years from now. Kind of like how CtL's token creation rules in the core book are lackluster at best, and filled out years later. The classic of Onyx Path.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Joylessdivisions World of Dorkness Presents: Changeling the Dreaming
Part 5

Banality

Describing the extent to which the mundane has infected the Fae soul, if your Banality rating exceeds your Glamour at the end of the story, the character reverts to their mortal Seeming and begins to forget their Fae nature. To use Glamour on a mortal, first you must overcome their Banality, generally 7 or higher, while children, drunks and lunatics are a 5 or under. Banality can also be used to resist another Kithain’s Cantrips.

Gaining Banality

-Temporary Banality is earned each time a character uses their own Banality to resist a Cantrip

-Failure to overcome a mortals Banality earns one temporary point of Banality

-ST can arbitrarily assign Banality if they think the player is being too mundane

-Destroying treasures and some chimera can cause a gain in temporary Banality

-Killing a Changeling’s Chimerical form causes the attacker to gain a point of temporary Banality

-Two points of temporary Banality are earned when a character kills another Kithain’s mortal seeming.

-If a character's temporary Banality score reaches 10, they gain one point of Permanent Banality.

Getting Rid of Banality

-Taking a Nightmare card instead of taking a point of Banality any time you are supposed to gain one.

-When gaining Glamour, the player can choose to remove a point of temporary Banality instead and it is the only time when this exchange can occur.

-Undertaking certain quests (like the ones provided) can reduce permanent Banality.

Quests

-A quest of great deeds, in which the Kithain must swear to undertake some fantastic quest

-Inspiring someone to greatness, however the Kithain is forbidden from directly interfering, they can only inspire.

-Attempting to bring the Dreaming into a mortal’s life. The target is usually firmly entrenched in their own Banality and must be successfully enchanted.

Failure to complete one of these quests, for any reason, leads to the gaining of one point of Permanent Banality.

Aside from “Just throw a point of Banality at them because gently caress it, they’re not being whimsical enough” which is a dick move and feels like something an adversarial ST would do, the other sources of Banality all seem sensible and balanced. Although still only temp Banality points for killing a Changelings mortal body huh!

Health

Changelings heal as normal humans do, and as such use the Health Level tracker and its penalties for wounds. Healing is sped up when staying in a freehold, as well as being able to suffer chimerical damage. Weapons of cold iron cause additional damage to the Fae. Further information about each will be provided later.

Health Levels
1.Bruised
2.Injured
3.Wounded: cannot run
4.Mauled: can barely walk
5.Crippled: severe injury
6.Incapacitated: Completely incapable of movement

And that brings us to the conclusion of Chapter Six and Book Two. As I said above, I like the Legacies a lot more than the Nature/Demeanor mechanic, and the Tempers mechanic of giving yourself a temporary boost of temp points by spending a permanent point feels like a fair risk/reward mechanic that doesn’t seem like it would be too punishing to the players, but stings just enough to add a little drama to things. The noble houses are neat, but as much as I appreciate the “Powers that be” elements of these games, it’s also not the parts that I'm all that interested in engaging with. Yeah sure, the nobles (or the Hierarchy, or the Camarilla, etc.) are doing their thing over there, I want to see what's going on down on the street level with the other nobodies with cool powers just trying to survive the crazy world. More power to you if you’re here for the high court drama stuff, but I wouldn’t be the ST for you in that case.

Let’s keep moving onto

Book Three: Grump

The finale of our narrator from the previous introductions, now a Grump, discussing the weight of Banality and the loss of their friends. It’s actually kind of poignant and I liked the little narrative that flowed through these segment introductions.

Chapter Seven: Glamour

Get ready folks because this is going to be a long chapter, chock full of information including the Arts and good lord is that going to be fun.

Glamour is the spiritual energy that flows from the Dreaming to Earth, the concentrated stuff of dreams, magic, life and beauty. It is a precious commodity now that Autumn has come and the Long Winter looms on the horizon. Once the air was filled with Glamour ripe for the taking, and now it is rarer and it’s gathering more difficult.

Knowing the Dreaming

No one is sure how Glamour travels from Arcadia to Earth, but the process seems to be connected to humanities creative and artistic facilities, as the human imagination can open channels to the Dreaming, becoming a gateway for Glamour. Why this occurs at certain times is still unknown, just as why Glamour is found in not only people, but places and objects never touched by human beings or left abandoned for years.

While Glamour is fundamental to a Kithain’s existence, they have a difficult time explaining what it is, as they have difficulty separating their feelings from their perceptions, and the feelings associated with Glamour are beyond human description. Banality causes many to forget Glamour all to quickly as it is difficult to retain memories of a beautiful Glamour filled moment when one has to go to work or school the next day.

Storytelling Glamour

When telling stories involving Glamour, you must remember that it is a power source unlike any other. It has its own will, it can be capricious, fickle and constantly changing. All guidelines presented in this chapter should be ignored if they interfere with the flow of the story being told. Glamour should always be mysterious, unpredictable and exhilarating. If the players only think of Glamour as points on the sheet, then you’re not doing your job correctly.

One way to convey this is through description of use, appealing to all the players senses. Glamour feels warm or cold, soft or rough, smells of rose petals, dark musk, a midnight breeze, tastes of honey and wine and looks like a rainbow caught in a tie-dye factory. Glamour can also be described in allegorical terms, “It is as bright as a hope and as solid as a wish”. Most important is that Glamour never stands still for long, always churning, moving and flowing. It can never truly be held down or contained.

Three Paths to Epiphany

The Kithain need Glamour to live, at least as Fae. They constantly seek it and discover mortals who possess and create it, then either wrest, tear or tease it out of them. These emotionally transcendent moments are known as Epiphanies and are said to be the result of the Kithain’s spirit connecting to the Dreaming, while others claim it is the shock of total receptivity to the truth.

Regardless of what it may be, Epiphanies are moments of intense revelation, ecstasy and delight, brief moments where a lifetime can be relived, a truth realized, or a pattern understood. Epiphanies can also trigger changes in personality, court affiliations and goals.

Kithain spend much of their time seeking epiphanies and the Glamour that comes with them, they are an addictive experience, as well as producing the vital Glamour a Kithain needs to survive.

However, not all mortals have Glamour, and finding the dreamers that do is challenging, as potentially only one in a thousand mortals are such dreamers. Dreamers can come from all walks of life and age groups, their only unifying trait is that they dream vividly and are capable of true, original insights. The harvesting of Glamour comes in three forms, the way of taking (known as Ravaging), the way of inspiration (Reverie) and the way of self-creation (Rapture).

Ravaging

The simplest form of Glamour harvesting involves simply ripping it from a mortal, though this taints the epiphany with the psychic anguish of the ravaged. While mortals can replenish their Glamour in time, those who have suffered a Ravaging take longer to recover. Those that are repeatedly and frequently ravaged have their creativity eventually extinguished permanently. The use of this form of Glamour harvesting also carries the risk of the Kithain gaining Banality themselves. Considered foul and heinous by most Seelie, the Unseelie have no issue with the practice, and despite their protests, the Seelie have been known to get a quick fix this way on occasion.

Victims of Ravaging experience no physical damage from the process, however their souls are flooded with Banality, and are often left terrified and completely exhausted by the events. Prior to a Ravaging, the Ravager must know their victim, having established some sort of relationship with them and understand how they dream. Once this relationship has been established, the Ravager may attempt to Ravage the target whenever they are in direct physical contact with them.

-System: Once the relationship is established, the player rolls their Banality rating (difficulty 6), with the number of successes indicating the number of Glamour points gained. If the roll is botched, the player gains a permanent point of Banality. Victims of Ravaging are unable to create or perform anything original or inspired for one day per Glamour point stolen. They experience writers block, become dazed or zone out on TV or video games.

Reverie

The more noble method of Glamour harvesting is Reverie, which inspires the dreamer and takes considerably longer than Ravaging but is more sustainable and beneficial to the mortal. Kithain who engage in this form of Glamour harvesting are commonly known as Muses, typically studying their subject for a period to discover what causes the dreamer to blossom as an artist or creator. It’s up to the muse to say or suggest things that will inspire the dreamer to create more wondrous and imaginative art. The more time the muse spends, the more productive the dreamer becomes. Love is often the best inspiration, and many muses have intense relationships with dreamers. However, this can be problematic if the Dreamer becomes enraptured by the muse instead of the work.

Muses experience Reverie and gain Glamour from interacting with the product of the dreamer's imagination, and when the muses influence is vital, Glamour is gained whenever the product is experienced by a new audience. However, in some cases, the impact is lost when the product becomes more wildly available, instead becoming mundane and producing no more Glamour.

-System: Player must know the dreamer and what inspires them. Charisma + Kenning (difficulty 8) is rolled, and the number of successes earned determines how much time must be spent getting to know the dreamer.

1 success – A year or more
2 success – More than a month
3 success – A couple weeks
4 success – A few days
5 success – instant connection

Once the dreamer is understood, a roll to inspire them can be made. Perception + Empathy (difficulty 6) determines the number of Glamour points gained per success scored. The ST can lower or raise the difficulty depending on how long the character is willing to spend with the dreamer, and some dreamers may only produce one or two points of Glamour. A botch indicates the dreamer has been thrown off track and becomes distant and must be studied anew to be mused again. The ST can choose how long it will take for the mortal to create again after a botch, using the appropriate Attribute + Ability of the dreamer to determine this based on the above-mentioned success chart.

Rapture

Because Kithain possess both a mortal and Fae soul, they can reach into their mortal essence and contact their inner Dreaming. This is a lengthy and difficult process known as Rapture and requires a Zenlike balance between the Kithain’s two sides and has the potential for major gains.

The Glamour gained is from the Kithain’s own imagination, and the epiphany associated with it is one of pure and total ecstasy. In this moment, the Kithain experiences the true power of the Dreaming, and their two sides are made whole. Many Kithain seek Rapture as it is the ultimate high and achievement, however many are incapable of this, just as most mortals are.

System: Rapture only occurs when the Kithain has made a creative or artistic breakthrough, and such a moment can only be determined by roleplaying. This involves choosing an art (one that the character patronizes is best), coming up with a vision and then choosing the medium to express this vision.

Once the ST has determined the character has reached the appropriate moment, the player makes the appropriate Attribute + Ability roll (difficulty 8), with the number of successes equaling the amount of Glamour gained. Botching is a complete failure and causes the character to gain one point of temporary Banality. Five or more successes however grants a permanent point of Glamour.

Dross

Glamour that has been trapped in a physical form, either through natural or magical processes is known as Dross and is less vibrant than other forms of Glamour. Dross comes in numerous forms, including items and relics of great people, such as Elvis’s socks, Picasso’s paintbrush or JFK’s pen. Dross is measured in points as Glamour is and can be used in most situations where Glamour would be used but cannot be used to replenish characters own Glamour points. Generally, Dross contains one to five points of Glamour, however some items of great importance can contain ten or more points. To use the Glamour in an item, it must be destroyed in some fashion, beyond the possibility of repair. Dross does not trigger Epiphany and the Glamour gained must be used immediately, however not all the contained Glamour in the item needs to be used at once, simply breaking part of the item will work to release some of the contained Glamour. Dross is used mostly as a form of currency for the Kithain and use of the Kenning talent can provide information about how much Dross is contained in the item.

Types of Dross

Dream Stones – a catch all term for natural items that contain small amounts of Dross and are unique and easily distinguishable from other similar items, such as a crystal that glows with an inner light or a patch of moss of a different color than what surrounds it. This type of Dross is typically found in Glens and wilderness grottos, and usually contains between one and three points of Glamour.

Mementos – items associated with people or places of great inspiration, such as one of Madonna’s costumes, the pen used to write the Gettysburg Address or a moon rock from the first lunar landing. These items generally possess more than ten points of Glamour, depending on the item’s rarity and the greatness of the person or event associated with the item.

Treasures – Items generally designed to be destroyed for their Glamour reserve, however destroying a permanent treasure will incur a point of temporary Banality.

Chimera – Killing a chimera has the chance of bestowing Glamour. The amount gained is dependent on ST judgement related to the power of the chimera, and unlike other forms of Dross, Glamour taken from the destruction of a chimera can be used to replenish a character’s Glamour pool. Chimerical items need only be broken to release their stored Glamour, however for chimerical beasts, the flesh of the creature must be consumed. Consuming the flesh of a chimerical beast is dangerous however, as the flesh of many chimera can cause various effects from purgative to poisonous.

Founts – Secret places in the world with direct connections to the Dreaming are called Founts, and the Glamour here typically appears in natural features such as a spring. The amount of Dross gained from imbibing this Glamour infused water is up to ST decision, but is generally no more than 10 points, at which point the Fount takes until the next full moon to fully recharge.

Using Dross

Each time a character uses Dross in any way, the player rolls a single die, with a 1 remaining a botch and a 10 indicating a positive side effect occurring. Only one die is required no matter how much Glamour is being spent, and the ST decides exactly what the outcome is, though the effect may not be immediately obvious.

Banality and Glamour

Like the opposite sides of a magnet, Glamour and Banality are in constant conflict as Banality seeks to neutralize Glamour, and Glamour seeks to destroy the icy grip Banality has on the human soul.

Banality enforces normality and the mundane aspects of existence, and those that hinder Glamour, aid Banality. Inspiring an artist who fails to create a work causes the gain of a point of Banality, as well as the destruction of an item created by inspiration or Glamour causes Banality to spread a little further.

Banality should always be described as a cold, gray, antiseptic force, never wild or unpredictable, instead extremely ordered and patterned to perfect symmetry. It is the enemy of hope, wonder and true beauty.

Laws of Glamour

While referred to as laws, the following are more the properties and guidelines related to Glamour, and it is up to the ST to decide to follow these laws or not.

-Glamour is ever changing, no use of Glamour can take the same shape twice
-Glamour is real, if a Cantrip produces an effect that overcomes Banality, it is as real as anything else in the world.
-Glamour, though real, can never replace truth. It is impossible to use Glamour to make a perfect copy of something, there will always be some slight imperfection, and if a Cantrip produces an effect that is later overcome by Banality, it vanishes as if it never existed.
-Glamour is personal, and every use is flavored by the user. Proper use of the Kenning talent allows for the discernment of the nature of the being who has cast a particular Cantrip, especially when there is evidence of the Cantrip.
-Glamour is infectious, and a Kithain can sense nearby Glamour. The Fae soul will always respond to the presence of Glamour.
-Glamour is impossible to ignore, and if active in a setting, it will be readily apparent, even if the source is hidden.

A Final Note about Glamour

While ST’s are encouraged to create their own laws of Glamour, it’s important to give the players a lot of leeway when using Glamour. It should be fun, exciting and wondrous. If the players seem to be getting tired of their powers, liven them up with new side effects and strange new ways for Glamour to react when used. Keep them guessing and make them understand they are dealing with a capricious power.

Cantrips

With time and study, the Kithain can learn to shape Glamour, known as an Art. Each art has its peculiarities, strengths and weaknesses. Each Kithain also has an affinity with an aspect of the world, known as Realms. The five realms have been studied by Kithain lore keepers, however the affinities are largely determined by the changelings Kith, though it is possible for a character to open themselves up to new Realms.

By combining the active use of an Art and the innate familiarity with a Realm, the Kithain can shape Glamour into a tangible form known as a Cantrip. The Art defines the nature of magic, while the Realm describes the focus of the effect. But Glamour is fickle and demands certain things of the caster lest the Glamour falter. Success or failure of a Cantrip depends on the Kithain’s ability to fulfill Glamours demands, known as Bunks. While it is impossible to predict the demands, experienced weavers of Cantrips can learn the various Bunks required to cast a specific Cantrip, allowing for preparation to satisfy the Bunk.

Glamour Cards
The system for using Cantrips is based on cards, with the player using cards to signify the Art and Realm they are using, and then drawing a Bunk card to determine the requirements of casting that Cantrip.

Making Glamour Cards
If you don’t want to purchase Cantrip cards from your local game store (or you live in the future and the only way to get your hands on them is getting lucky with an eBay listing) you can photocopy the blank card sheet in the back of the book to create your cards.

Art Cards – describe the types of effects the character can produce. Each card has a short description of the Art, the attribute governing the Art (used in conjunction with the ability listed on the Realm card if a roll is required) and the player should have one Art card for each dot in Arts that they have.

Realm Cards – describe the who or what the Cantrip works on, and the players should have one Realm card for each dot in Realms they have.

Bunk Cards – describe the demands of Glamour before the Cantrip can take effect as well as indicating the degree of success from one to five. Players begin with Bunk cards equal to their total dots in Arts and should be kept in a separate pile from the Art and Realm cards.

Ready to Play

Once all cards have been assembled, the players should have their Arts and Realms cards in their hands, and the Bunk cards in a pile face down.

Basic Cantrip Casting

-There is never more than one Art card in play, however multiple Realm and Bunk cards can be played.

-Select Art and Realm: To create a Cantrip, the player must choose an Art and Realm card describing the type of effect they wish to create. The ST may tell the player what Realm is required, though generally it will be up to the player. Two or more Realm cards can be combined to create an effect with a greater sphere of influence; however, one point of Glamour must be spent for each additional Realm played after the first.

-Draw a Bunk: After the cards have been laid out in front of the player, they draw a Bunk card from the deck, which expresses the requirements that must be fulfilled before the Cantrip can take effect. If the player cannot, or will not fulfill the Bunk, the Cantrip fails. Before drawing a Bunk card, the player may spend a point of Glamour to draw two Bunk cards, allowing for an increase in degree of success. When two Bunk cards are drawn, the number of successes are added together, and both Bunk requirements must be fulfilled to activate the Cantrip. Only one additional Bunk can be drawn in this fashion, and once the point of Glamour has been spent, both cards must be drawn.

-Describe the Effect: After the requirements of the Bunk card(s) have been met, the player describes the type of effect they wish to create. The effect cannot require more successes than the total on the Bunk(s) and the ST is the final arbiter, though players are encouraged to get creative.

-Overcome Banality/Establish Success: If a Cantrip affects an enchanted creature (Changeling/Chimera/Enchanted mortal) or is used within a freehold, the degree of success is determined by the number of successes on the Bunk card. If the target is a mortal or can be created in the presence of mortals, the player must first overcome the mortals Banality.

The player rolls dice equal to the rating in the Attribute listed on the Art card plus the Ability listed on the Realm card against the difficulty of the target (or witness) Banality. In the case of multiple targets, the highest Banality rating is used. Max successes are determined by the Bunk card(s), and if the roll fails, the caster gains a temporary Banality point. A botch earns a permanent point of Banality. Players can invoke their own Banality to resist the effects of a Cantrip, immediately gaining them a point of temporary Banality, and the caster must then roll against the target players Banality rating as if they were mortal.

-Discard/Refresh: Once the effect of a Cantrip has ended, the player picks up their cards and places them back into their hand, except for one card chosen by the player to be discarded. If a player spends a point of Glamour, they do not need to discard. If the Bunk card is not discarded, it is shuffled back into the deck. Cantrip decks are refreshed between stories, and Epiphanies gained through Reverie or Rapture refresh cards equal to the number of Glamour points earned. Ravaging does not count.

Advanced Cantrip Casting

-Oathmates can use each other's cards to cast their own Cantrips. The Oathmates Cantrip must be played while the original is still in effect. Playing Cantrips like this allows for the powering of other Cantrips through the already active cards. If a card is involved in an active Cantrip, it is not discarded.

-If the Bunk is the same suit as the Art (both are of the Wayfarer art) an extra success is scored.

-If you are forced to gain a temporary point of Banality, the player can choose to take a Nightmare card from the ST instead (at the ST discretion) The level of the Nightmare card is determined by the amount of temporary Banality the player currently possesses (divided player Banality score by two to determine Nightmare level), however this can be changed per the ST choice. Nightmare cards are placed in the Bunk deck and shuffled by the ST. ST does not need to reveal the type of Nightmare card. Whenever a Nightmare card is drawn, its effects are activated immediately and then discarded. There is no limit to the number of Nightmare cards that can be in a player's deck.

Alternative Dice System

For the ST who doesn’t want to deal with a bunch of cards for antagonists/folks playing a twenty-year-old game in 2023 who don’t want to be bothered with making their own cards or finding them on eBay, we have rules for casting Cantrips with dice instead. Arts and Realms still describe the general magical capacities, and the players still need the proper scores in their Art and Realm (depending on the intended effect) to cast the Cantrip. Bunk cards are still supposed to be drawn and fulfilled as normal; however, the ST can assign a Bunk or create a chart (which are provided later).

If targeting another changeling or enchanted being, one success is given for free, and then the caster rolls the appropriate Attribute + Ability (difficulty 6), adding any successes earned to the automatic success already gained. Overcoming the target’s Banality is Attribute + Ability (difficulty is target’s Banality score) and no free success is given.

If the caster wants to use their own Banality to resist the effects of a Cantrip, they roll dice equal to their Banality score (difficulty 6). Successes gained are then subtracted from the opposing casters total. If the opposing casters successes are reduced to zero, the Cantrip fails.

Cantrips Made Simple

1.Choose Art and Realm cards that best describe the effect you wish to create, place them face up in front of you
2.Draw a Bunk card and fulfill the requirements listed. Spending a point of Glamour allows for a second Bunk to be drawn
3.Describe the effect of the Cantrip. The ST describes how it works exactly
4.If affecting a mortal target or there are mundane witnesses present, roll Attribute and Ability listed on the Art and Realm cards against the difficulty of the target’s Banality. The number of possible successes is limited to those listed on the Bunk card.
5.Discard one card of your choice that was used in casting the Cantrip or spend a point of Glamour to keep it.

Storyteller Advice
Are you saying to yourself this whole card business seems like a huge pain in the rear end and likely to be confusing as hell as the ST? Don’t worry, here’s some advice.

-You have the right to amend or veto any use of cards. Don’t be afraid to use it. Don’t ever let Cantrips ruin your story
-Reward players who use their Glamour cards to add to the story and create Cantrips that have the feel of Faerie magic. Restrict or disallow Cantrips that violate the Theme, Mood and wonder of Glamour.
-Don’t let the players get away with murder. Encourage them to be freeform, but don’t allow them to abuse the system.

Example of Cantrip Casting

For our example we have a Sidhe noble attempting to enter a mental hospital by opening a door in a brick wall. Wayfare 3 “Portal Passage” allows for this, so playing this card with the “Noble” Fae Realm card (Fae 2) sets up the Cantrip. They draw their Bunk card “Graffiti” that requires they draw some sort of graffiti on the wall and is worth three successes. Once played, they explain they intend to step through the wall.

However, there is a mortal guard that has seen them, so the Sidhe rolls his Wits (Art) and Politics (Realm) against a difficulty of eight for the guards Banality. They score four successes (+1 for the Wayfarer Bunk), however because of the three successes on the Bunk card, they can only use three of their five successes. The three successes are enough to keep the passage open for three turns, and they then discard their Realm card instead of the easy to complete Bunk or the useful Art card.

I admit that it took me two readings to really get a grasp on how Cantrips are supposed to work, with the cards or with dice, but I think I mostly understand it, and while I think ultimately, it’s a needless addition to the game, it does mix up how the casting system typically works in these games and I can appreciate that.

Having said that however, from what I’ve been able to gather from online research, when White Wolf released the Cantrip cards, they sold them in blind booster packs. What in the ever loving gently caress were they thinking!? If you’re going to make the Cantrip cards system work under ideal conditions, you would need a full deck of Bunk cards associated with each of the six Arts, and then you would need full decks of each of the six Arts and their associated Realms so that if a player has a couple of dots in three or four different Arts, they can have the cards they need to cast all their powers.

What I’m saying is I cannot grasp why they wouldn’t have made pre-packed decks for each Art, with a couple duplicates of each Art/Realm and Bunk card in the deck so that a player (or a very generous ST) could go and pick up a full deck associated with the Art they intend to play at the table (or in the generous ST situation, all of the decks so that each player could be provided with what they need as well as having cards for the ST to use) and be all set. Granted this would likely cost the consumer more, if we assume that a complete Art deck would cost say $20, but that feels like a much more reasonable buy in that wasting even more money buying up single packs of cards and hoping you get the cards you need.

And that’s only if you intend to play with the official White Wolf produced Cantrip cards, if you want to make your own, there is a blank set in the back of the book, and while you’re sacrificing art, you’re also more likely to save a stack of cash going to Kinkos and making your own cards than going out and buying them. Of course, there is also just the old fashioned dice method, which still requires that the ST have the Bunk tables handy (I assume they would be on the ST screen that White Wolf produced) and then either rolling a die to choose a bunk for the player or something.

It’s not a terrible system, but it is a bit needlessly complicated and the sales plan behind it was really dumb.

Arts

The intrinsic Glamour powers of the Kithain are known as Arts and are organized into categories that describe the overall category of Cantrip that can be performed. Each Art is associated with a specific Attribute which must be listed on the Art card (if creating your own). Arts are also broken down into level specific effects, each with a brief description, its relation to the Realms and a description of how the number of successes affects the powers use.

Chicanery
The Art of Trickery, favored by commoner Kithain for its usefulness in dealing with mortals. Chicanery was one of the first Arts rediscovered after the Shattering. Those that are known to possess this Art are watched closely, especially by the nobility. A few nobles have become infamous for their judicious use of this Art, though it is generally considered a commoners Art and therefore “Vulgar”

Attribute: Manipulation

1-Fuddle: You may fool, trick and manipulate another's thought process by confusing their perceptions. Though never permanent, it can have a considerable duration. Only a life-threatening situation will allow the affected a chance to resist confusion. This Cantrip can never cause direct harm, however it is possible to cause the target to inflict accidental injury due to confusion.

Realms: The Realm determines what the target is confused about. The first level of the Fae realm allows for the target being confused for someone else. If two Realms are used, such as “Hearty Commoner” and “Manifold Chimera”, an Eshu could be confused for a winged sprite.

-Actor: Cause the target to be mistaken about the identity of a person. To confuse the target into believing a friend is an enemy, both “True Friend” and “Dire Enemy” cards must be played.
-Fae: Cause the target to become confused about some aspect of the Fae, depending on the Realm cards played.
-Nature: Confuse a target’s senses concerning natural objects, such as a dog being confused for a cat. Causing a dog to be confused for a bonfire however would require the use of “Feral Beast” and “Base Element” cards.
-Prop: Cause one item to be confused for another or cause an item to be more perplexing.
-Scene: Cause a room or area to appear other than it is.

Successes: Number of successes indicates how long the Cantrip is in effect
1.One Minute
2.Ten Minutes
3.One Scene
4.One Day
5.One Chapter (one game session)

2-Fugue: Allows for the removal, theft or destruction of specific memories or thoughts in the mind of another. Mortals generally forget their encounters with Glamour, but this will guarantee it. Cannot be used to add a memory, but can remove nearly anything (temporarily)

Realms: Determines exactly what can be removed from the target's memory. Fugue + Actor would cause the target to forget meeting a specific person, while Scene would cause the target to forget how to get somewhere or that a place was ever discovered.

Actor: Remove memories or thoughts about a specific person or people

Fae: Remove memories or thoughts about a specific Fae or Chimera (or multiple entities)

Nature: Remove memories or thoughts about natural features, plants, animals, etc.

Prop: Remove memories or thoughts about specific items

Scene: Remove memories or thoughts about a specific place or area

Successes: Indicates how thoroughly the target’s memories and thoughts are destroyed

1.Weak, temporary forgetfulness until something jars the subject's memory
2.An hour's loss of a simple memory, like a phone number or person's name
3.Complete eradication of a specific event, person’s identity or object’s presence.
4.Powerful, forthright beliefs and memories may be erased until some equally powerful event jars the memory loose.
5.Complete and total forgetfulness

3-Haunted Heart: Grants the power to evoke specific emotions in a target. This Cantrip provokes and manipulates emotions, but does not create passions, instead drawing forth emotional memories from the target’s subconscious. The target does not need to have experienced the memories (however if they have, the effect is more powerful), they can be drawn vicariously from fiction or dreams. The Realm determines how the emotion is evoked and directed. It is helpful to know a specific instance to use against the target (however the Cantrip can be cast regardless). If the caster does evoke a specific past incident in the target’s life, the caster gains one free success.

Realms: Determines the origin of the emotion

Actor: Create emotion based on a person.

Fae: Create emotion based on an enchanted being

Nature: Create emotion based on a natural phenomenon

Prop: Create emotion based on an object

Scene: Create emotion based on a place or area

Successes: Effects last for one minute per success, and Glamour can be used to increase duration by one minute per Glamour spent. Number of successes determines degree of success

1.Invoke mild emotion
2.Target feels a wild surge of emotion
3.Creates a heady state of passion
4.Target is consumed by their passions
5.Creates a complete and totally obsessive emotional state

4- Veiled Eyes: Allows the caster to hide a specific person, place or thing from others' perception. Although rarely causing something to vanish directly from sight, it does rely on the subconscious tendency to “filter out” perceptions. A person cloaked by Veiled Eyes would merely be ignored.

Realms: Realm determines exactly what you can veil from another's sight.

Actor: You can obscure a person

Fae: You can veil Fae beings and creatures

Nature: You can veil living creatures or natural phenomena

Prop: You can obscure a particular item

Scene: You can veil a particular building or place

Successes: Obscurement lasts one turn per success, however any changelings who is “On the scene” can spend a Glamour point to maintain the Cantrip for another complete duration. Penetrating obscurement requires a Perception + Kenning against 4 + Successes earned by caster. Only mortals with sufficient reason to search have a chance to break the obscurement, however supernatural's with magical senses can automatically attempt to break the obscurement.

5-Captive Heart: Allows the caster to bend the mind of another to their will. Targets become very vulnerable to suggestions and will follow simple commands. This power also allows for making a target believe they are something else, and the target will make every effort to conform to this form.

Realms: Dictates the targets new personality. Two Realm cards are always needed, one for the target, the other for the desired transformation.

Actor: Make the target believe they are someone else

Fae: Make the target believe they are an enchanted creature of the Fae

Nature: Make the target believe they are a plant, animal or natural phenomenon

Prop: Make the target believe they are an object of some sort

Scene: Make the target believe they are somewhere else

Successes: Target may always attempt to resist the effects of this Cantrip

1.Enchantment lasts for one turn
2.Enchantment lasts for five turns
3.Enchantment lasts for one scene
4.Cantrip lasts until sunrise or sunset, whichever comes first
5.Cantrip lasts for one full day

Note: Mortals often forget the effects of Chicanery. Rules for The Mists are provided later to determine if a mortal remembers anything about the experience.

Legerdemain
While based on simple illusions and sleight of hand, this power transcends and allows the caster to affect physical reality.

Attribute: Dexterity

1-Gimmix: Allows for the telekinetic manipulation of something or someone. Strength of the telekinesis is determined by the successes scored by the caster. This Cantrip allows for moving, twisting, throwing, lifting or crushing things. Gimmix can also be extended into small spaces to manipulate objects that cannot be seen or reached. In addition to whatever Bunk is drawn, a hand gesture must be used to cast, and the effect mimics the motion.

Realms: Describes what is being manipulated.

Actor: Allows for grasping a person

Fae: Allows for grasping a Faerie or enchanted creature

Nature: Allows for grasping a plant, animal or natural feature

Prop: Allows for grasping a prop. Note: Power can be used to operate a prop, if operation does not require fine motor coordination. A switch or button can be manipulated however typing is impossible.

Scene: Describes the area to which the effect is limited.

Successes: Number of successes indicates the strength of the grasp, and the intensity of the grasp cannot be controlled.

1.A soft brush
2.A slight nudge
3.A hard pull
4.A sharp yank
5.Enough force to knock down a wall

2-Ensnare: Allows for the rapid movement of large objects as well as tripping or entangling someone via real or imagined elements of the setting, such as a carpet or root. Allows for the movement of one object of 300lbs or less, spinning and twisting it at high speeds. The Cantrip will shape itself to fit whatever elements are present, and if there are none, it will fool the target into believing they are present.

Realms: Determines exactly what you are attempting to ensnare

Actor: Ensnare a person

Fae: Ensnare a Faerie or enchanted creature

Nature: Ensnare an animal, plant or block a natural feature

Prop: Ensnare an item

Scene: Make a room or area impassable

Successes: Number of successes determines how well the target is ensnared

1.Causes the target to trip, target must make a Dexterity + Athletics (difficulty 6) to avoid tripping
2.Target is ensnared, must succeed in a Strength roll (difficulty 6) in order to escape
3.Target is ensnared and must exceed casters successes by three or more in an extended Strength test (difficulty 6) to escape
4.Same as 3, target must earn five successes
5.Same as 3, target must earn ten successes

3-Effigy: Create an exact copy of something you are looking at or touching. The copy is tangible and made of solid Glamour. Copies do not possess the capabilities of the original item. If the caster is nearby, “Special effects” can be added at the cost of a Glamour point. Example: An Effigy computer cannot function, however with the spending of Glamour, the computer can appear to turn on and display static. If the Effigy is a person, caster rolls Manipulation + Subterfuge to create coherent speech. Effigy lasts until the caster ceases concentration or it is eroded by Banality.

Realms: Determines what can be duplicated

Actor: Duplicate a mortal

Fae: Duplicate a Fae creature

Nature: Duplicate a natural object

Prop: Duplicate a particular item

Scene: Duplicate a particular place or setting

Successes: Number of successes determines accuracy of duplicate

1.Bad copy
2.Major differences
3.Minor differences
4.Nearly perfect copy, can inflict chimerical damage to Fae
5.Exact duplicate, can inflict chimerical damage to Fae

4-Mooch: Allows for relocation of objects and things from one place to another nearby. Frequently used to move things from pockets to the casters. Object must be within sight or have been seen within the past minute. People and living creatures cannot be moved with this Cantrip, and no matter the number of successes, the target cannot be larger than a fist or weigh more than two pounds.

Realms:

Actor: Describes who holds or carries the target

Fae: Describes who holds or carries the target

Nature: Describes what is being relocated

Prop: Describes what is being relocated

Scene: Describes where an object is being taken from

Successes: Number of successes determines how clandestinely the power was performed. Detecting a missing object (that isn’t in plain sight) requires the target to make a Perception + Alertness roll (difficulty 4 + number of successes gained casting) to attempt detection.

5-Phantom Shadows: Allows for the creation of illusions that mimic reality. However, the illusion is very focused and specific. If a soldier is created with the Cantrip, they will have clothes but not a gun or creating a car does not necessarily mean there is gas in the tank. Illusions can inflict chimerical damage on all creatures, including non-enchanted mortals, who believe in the illusion. Phantom Shadows cannot make the caster appear as something else that is covered by Elder-Form.

Realms: Describes the nature of the illusion

Actor: Create an illusory person who speaks and acts like a normal person

Fae: Create an illusory Faerie or enchanted creature

Nature: Create illusory plants, animals or natural feature

Prop: Create illusory prop

Scene: Overlay a scene with an illusory scene

Successes: Number of successes determines how believable the illusion is

1.Fuzzy image
2.Looks real if you don’t look too closely
3.All but the finer details are complete
4.Only the slightest imperfections
5.Perfect Image

Primal
Those that learn the Primal art come to understand the fundamental connection between their Faerie nature and the forces of the earth and nature. Each Cantrip is named after traditionally magical trees that originally aided changelings in learning the Cantrip.

Attribute: Stamina

1-Willow-Whisper: Allows for speaking with nearly anything, including plants, rocks, machines, buildings or people. In addition to the required Bunk, the caster must whisper anything they wish to say, thus conditions must be relatively quiet for use of this Cantrip.

Realms: Describes the object with which the caster communicates. ST’s should impart inanimate objects with interesting personalities but remember that these objects have little perception and no memory.

Actor: Describes the person to whom you wish to speak

Fae: Describes the person to who you wish to speak

Nature: Describes the animal or object you wish to speak to

Prop: Describes the object you wish to speak to

Scene: Describes the area you wish to speak to

Successes: Successes indicate how many questions can be asked and how straightforward a non-sentient subject is.

1.Mumbling, meandering answers. One question
2.Slightly obscure answers. Three questions
3.Clear but strange answers (the object is thinking in its terms, not yours). Last for one scene
4.Clear, straightforward, but boring answers. Lasts for a week
5.Perfectly clear, lucid and interesting answers. Conversation lasts as long as the caster focuses on the Cantrip.

2-Heather-Balm: Used for healing and restoration, allows for the restoration of an object, person or place to its original, proper condition. Healing health levels of damage requires the transfer of one point of Willpower from the caster per level of damage to the target. Chimerical wounds do not require the expenditure of Willpower. ST may decide that certain objects or areas require an expenditure of either Willpower or Glamour.

Realms:

Actor: Describes who you are healing

Fae: Describes who you are healing

Nature: Describes what you are healing or repairing

Prop: Describes what you are repairing

Scene: Describes what you are repairing or restoring

Successes: Heals one health level per success. For non-living items, the ST decides how many successes are required to repair the target.

3-Oakenshield: By drawing on the power of the oak, you can strengthen or protect a target.

Realms:

Actor: Describes who you are protecting

Fae: Describes who you are protecting

Nature: Describes what you are protecting or strengthening

Prop: Describes what you are protecting or strengthening

Scene: Describes what you are protecting or strengthening

Successes: Each success provides an extra health level over and above the levels already possessed by the target. Strengthening lasts until depleted or a month passes, whichever occurs first.

4-Holly-Strike: A warrior's plant, this Cantrip allows for the breaking of objects and harming people

Realms:

Actor: Describes the target of the Cantrip

Fae: Describes the target of the Cantrip

Nature: Describes the target of the Cantrip

Prop: Describes the target of the Cantrip

Scene: Describes the target of the Cantrip

Successes: When used to break physical objects or tear apart an area, ST can specify the number of successes needed. When used to inflict harm, targets suffer mystical, jagged wounds per the below chart

1.One health level (a glass bottle)
2.Three health levels (a door)
3.Five health levels (a wooden wall)
4.Six health levels (a car)
5.Seven health levels (a large oak tree)

5-Elder-Form: Allows for the caster to give themselves or a target another shape for a time. Abilities associated with the new form are granted to the target of the Cantrip.

Realms: Describe what either the caster or target is being changed into (requires a second Realm card depicting the new form)

Actor: Describes who you are making yourself/target look like

Fae: Describes who you are making yourself/target look like

Nature: Describes what you/target are changing into

Prop: Describes what you/target are changing into

Scene: Describes where the Cantrip must be cast.

Successes: Number of successes determines duration of metamorphosis. Each time an unenchanted person encounters the target, the witnesses Banality is rolled (difficulty 9). If the successes scored are equal or exceed the original casting, the enchantment is dispelled.

1.One turn
2.One Hour
3.One Day
4.Three Days
5.One Week

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm surprised the CHangeling 1e cards aren't available on drivethru. You can get the Gamme World 7e cards that way for example.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm surprised the CHangeling 1e cards aren't available on drivethru. You can get the Gamme World 7e cards that way for example.

I vaguely recall mention that a lot of the oldest parts of the catalog don't have original files to be used. That's why so many older WW books on DTRPG are varying degrees of awful scans. (Although since Paradox took over more of them have been reconstructed as OEFs.) In the case of cards for an ancient version of a fairly unpopular game I doubt trying to cobble together the necessary scans and reconstructed layout would be anything like worth it from a business standpoint.

srhall79
Jul 22, 2022

A heavy snow storm brings a double class update

Pathfinder Core Rulebook, Second Edition, part Eleven: Stop and smell the flowers with the Doodad, then Fight with the Fighter

I'm not sure where the Druid first popped up, but by the time AD&D hit the shelves, they were there and they were odd. A subclass of the cleric, they required a 12 wisdom and 15 charisma (a cleric only needed a 9 wisdom, unless they were a mutliclassed half-elf, who needed a 13... while a mutliclassed half-orc still only needed a 9). They could only be True Neutral, while the cleric could be any alignment EXCEPT True Neutral (this also means that the natural bonding of the the nature classes, druid and ranger, was not possible as the latter had to be any Good... until Unearthed Arcana put it forward as a possible combination, with errata settling that a Ranger/Druid multiclass had to be Neutral Good). The druid gained an expanded weapon selection to include slings, daggers, darts, and the scimitar (as the curved blade seemed like a sickle, used in harvesting mistletoe). They were restricted to leather armor and wooden shields as metal armor spoiled their spells (no suiting up in chain mail, but killing a cow to wear it's skin is a-okay).

They're specifically called out as a medieval continuation of the ancient Celtic sects, had the Romans not wiped them out (and I'm sure Gygax's usual commitment to history is on display here). Besides spells (which I note they can cast two 1st level spells at 1st level, gain access to 2nd and 3rd level spells at 2nd and 3rd level, although 4th level spells will have to wait to 6th level... I'm not sure if they get bonus spells, or if those are strictly for clerics), they gain a number of special abilities and powers. At 3rd level, a druid can identify plants, animals, and pure water, and they can pass through areas of natural impediments without trace and at full movement. At 7th level, they're immune to charm from natural type creatures such as dryads, nymphs, sylphs. Three times a day they can change into an animal form, ranging in size from bullfrog/blue jay up to a large snake, eagle or black bear (I am of the belief that these animals are very different sizes).

Druids had their own secret language. And perhaps most infamously, they had a hierarchy. Druid was one of the classes with a set level limit, in this case, level 14. This might be why they received spells at earlier levels (a cleric didn't get 7th level spells until level 16) and could result in high HP for a druid (as they'd gain a d8 each level, while a druid would only amass 9d8 of HP, then get 2 HP per level after that). At 12th level, Druid, there exist only 9 druids. To advance to this level, there either needed to be an opening, or you had to defeat one of the druids (each druid, based on experience, was served by 3 lower level druids, from 1st-9th level). At 13th level, Archdruid, only three people held this (and were served by 3 druids of 10th level). Again, to advance, you'd have to defeat one of the existing Archdruids. Finally at the top was the Great Druid at 14th level, served by 3 11th level druids, and again, you'll have to defeat the current Great Druid to finish the climb of 1.5 million experience points (until Unearthed Arcana came along with the Grand Druid and Hierophant levels, but that's another F&F review).

With 2nd edition, a lot of the weirdness was smoothed down, and the druid was presented as an example of a Specialty Priest.

Then came 3rd edition, where the druid jumped to S-Tier along with the cleric (they're the D of CoDzilla). An animal companion, wild shape, and spells that could increase your personal power (and Natural Spell, so you could cast those spells while wild shaped). Pathfinder reined this in somewhat, with wild shape offering a buff instead of a full transformation into animal stats.

(meanwhile in 4E D&D, the druid was a controller with powers split between castery stuff, spells you'd use for control purposes, and beast powers, where you'd transform into whatever shape you'd like and act more like a striker).

The druid at a glance looks like what you'd except. Trained in Nature as a skill, trained in simple weapons, trained in light and medium armor (no mention of restriction against metal armors). Their spells are primal, our third type after occult (bard) and divine (champion and cleric). I except we'll also see arcane, but not until further in the alphabet.

Oh, anathema raises its head again, and you'll lose your magic druid powers if you despoil natural places, teach the Druidic language to non-druids, and use metal armor or shields (the druidic language is such a weird thing. Why was this picked out and carried through all the editions? Druids were never big at my table, but in other peoples' games, were the PC druids out there chatting up the druid NPCs away from everyone else? It even gets its own heading under class features, with a line that it has its own alphabet.

Subclasses here are Druidic Order, although it's possible and even likely that druids will study with other orders blend in their powers. The Orders will bring focus spells, the spells you can regain after 10 minutes of rest. The orders are: Animal, granting an animal companion and forbidden from animal cruelty (killing for self-defense or food are fine); Leaf, who get a Leshy familiar (a tiny plant embodying a spirit of nature) , learn goodberry, and are forbidden from plant cruelty; Storm, for weather fans, concerned with air pollutions; and Wild, who get Wild Shape, and their anathema is "becoming fully domesticated by the temptations of civilization."

By 19th level they'll gain Legendary with primal spellcasting, though only ever becoming experts in armor and weapons.

For feats, a lot of them are locked behind your order, but there's a second level feat, Order Explorer, which opens access to another order, which brings with it the 1st level feat, and restricts you based on the order's anathema. The feats give you a lot of ways to go, but as usual, what before you got as class abilities through leveling up, it's now been chopped up and placed as a feat. You can take any feat you want... but if you want your animal companion to stay useful, you're going to need to take this feat. Want wild shape to stay relevant? Take this feat. Except we're going to make you choose with wild shape. Do you want it to last longer? Take form control. But if you want humanoid shapes, you'll have to take Thousand Faces instead (other 4th level feats). At 8th level, Ferocious Shape adds dinosaur shapes, but if you take that, you're not taking Soaring Shape, which adds birds and bats with the power of flight to your wild shape possibilities.

20th level feats, you can gain another 10th level spell slot, or tap into leylines, whereby spending an action allows casting a 5th level or lower spell without expanding a slot, or True Shapeshifter, allowing you to switch between forms, and once per day turn into a kaiju.

Fighter

Fighting Man was one of the OD&D three with cleric and magic-user, soon shortened down to Fighter. They had no magic, no special abilities, they could just fight. In AD&D, they could go beyond other classes with strength and constitution. While anyone could have an 18 strength, fighters (and their subclasses the paladin and ranger) rolled for exceptional strength, percentile roll giving them 18/01 to 18/00 strength (break points were 18/51, 18/76, 18/91, and 18/00. Only a male human could get an 18/00. In the name of sexism realism, a human female couldn't go above 18/50, same as a male gnome. Female dwarves, half-elves, and male halflings couldn't go above 17. A male elf or female half-orc were limited to 18/75, while a male half-elf could reach 18/90, and a male dwarf or half-orc could half an 18/99, despite half-orcs having a bonus to strength). Fighters gained +3 HP per hit die at constitution 17, or +4 at 18, while other classes were limited to +2. Unearthed Arcana brought weapon specialization, granting a bonus to hit and damage of +1/+2, and increased number of attacks (and this is why, throughout 3.x, Weapon Specialization was a feat limited to fighters).

2nd edition didn't see much change to fighters, although Combat & Tactics near the end of 2E's life did expand on Weapon Specialization to, I think, Mastery and Grandmastery. You could achieve an absurd amount of choppy damage... though still do less than a fireball.

I'd be neglectful if I didn't mention the last aspect of the early edition fighter. At 9th level, your level title was Lord. At this point, you could go out, clear an area of land, build a stronghold, and you'd attract a small army, including a mid-level fighter as their captain (clerics could build up a temple and gain a less impressive fighting force. Thieves could establish a guildhall. Paladins didn't get anything beyond their warhorse, until they became a subclass of the cavalier and got a ton of followers. Rangers in 1st edition got some wild charts where gaining a smaller number of followers got better results, which could include mounts (griffon, hippogriff, or centaur!), animal companions, or outright monsters like a Storm Giant or young dragon. 2nd edition chilled this the gently caress out because it was awesome and also incredibly unbalanced. Magic-users didn't get followers, although there was a Dragon article dictating setting up a magic school, decades before any hirsute ceramicist). Once you were established in your keep with your army, you could collect taxes and... gently caress if I know. Gygax and his crew evolved out of wargamers, so probably had all sorts of ideas of what to do with an army, but for my peeps, there were no rules and no guidance. When Skills and Powers came out in late 2E with rules for point-buy classes, we gladly sold off our army-raising power (which again, came at 9th level, something rarely obtained in our ADHD campaigns) for +1 to hit.

These free followers would return in 3.x as the Leadership feat, aka gain a second lower level character and a whole bunch of nobodies.

In 3rd edition, the four core classes were each tied to a major feature. Cleric and wizard were divine spells and arcane spells. Rogues were the skill monkeys. And fighters were feats. While everyone was getting a feat every three levels, the fighter also picked up a new feat every even level, though restricted to "fighter-feats", combat oriented things. The extra feats made various feat chains viable, but nothing was going to bring the fighter competitive with casters. Late in the 3.x lifecycle came the Book of Nine Swords, aka the Tome of Battle. It went off on the premise that "Fighters suck... so toss them out, here are three new classes." The new classes had access to fighting maneuvers, mundane and mystical attacks that flirted with being spells, and could make for potent melee combatants.

But Pathfinder spun off of core 3.5, ignoring the growth and innovations of the past six years. But they recognized the fighter needed a boost. So what did they get? Oh, a bonus on fear saves. Reduction on armor check penalties and increased max dexterity for armor. +1 to hit and damage for some weapons, starting at 4th level and increasing every 5. If you stick it out as a fighter until 19th level, you gained Damage Reduction 5/- (so 5 points off all physical attacks). At 20th level, you automatically confirmed criticals, and your multiplier went up by one (so a sword would crit on a 19-20 for x3 damage, while an axe would crit on a nat 20 for x4 damage).

And in Pathfinder 2e?

Right off, the fighter is good at fighting. They're an expert in simple and martial weapons and unarmed attacks. Everyone else was only trained in weapons at first level. That puts a fighter at +2 in attacking over other classes, and remember that a critical hit happens at 10 over the target number. They're also experts at Perception and Fortitude and Reflex saves. Most of the classes have been experts in one save; Barbarians and Champions had two, with barbarians also having expert perception (champions have spells, but only focus spells, while barbarians like fighters have no casting).

They gain Attack of Opportunity and Shield Block for free (although Shield Block seems to come free to any class that uses a shield). Bravery, the bonus on fear saves, continues, though here it bumps Will saves to expert at 3rd level, makes successes against fear critical, and reduces the frightened condition by 1. At 7th level, they gain Battlefield Surveyor, making them masters at perception, and getting an additional +2 on initiative rolls. At 9th level, they can choose a fighter feat of 8th level or lower to gain each day; at 15th level they can prepare another feat of 14th level or lower.

In weapons, they become masters with a weapon group at 5th level, increasing to legendary at 13th, keeping them +2 on attack rolls over barbarians and champions (but they don't have rage or the champion's goodies). If they stick it out for the long haul, at 17th level they become masters of their armor, and at 19th level... well, you're now legendary with all weapons (except advanced, only master of those). This is great, because it's not like fighters typically pick one weapon that they focus on, which is also going to be their best magical weapon.

Anathema for a fighter is... no, just kidding, there's no anathema here. There aren't even subclasses. No orders, no schools, no clubs. I guess we don't want to confuse anyone who takes a fighter.

Fighter feats, I'm making the prediction these are fine, nothing too exciting because fighters can't have nice things. Lot of familiar names, but things have been tweaked.

1st level includes Power Attack. Spend two actions, make a strike (which will count as two for multiple attack penalties). On a hit, add an extra die of damage, 2 at 10th, 3 at 18th. Double Slice lets you attack with two weapons, sidestepping the multiple attack penalty. If both hit, add the damage together (useful for resistances) (Double slice states as requirement that you're wielding two weapons, each in a different hand. Good to know). Takes two actions, but you're not penalized on the second strike. Sudden Charge is two actions, let's you Stride twice then Strike. So 1st level fighter is being more efficient.

This continues at 4th level. Double shot makes two ranged attacks (at -2) at two different targets, multiple attack penalty doesn't kick in until after you're done. Swipe is two actions to make one roll, compare to two targets and do the same damage to each.

At 6th level, Furious Focus lets you power attack with a two handed weapon and only count it as one attack (so you could make a follow-up attack with your third action at only -5). Or Triple Shot lets you add a third target to Double Shot... for the low low price of a third action and -4 for each attack.

Looking higher up, Two-weapon Flurry at level 14 will let you strike twice, once with each weapon (wielded in different hands). It does cost a single action, so you could make 6 attacks in a round... although the last would be at -25 to hit.

At 18th level, Impossible Volley uses all your actions, but lets you shoot at everything in a 10 foot radius burst (at -2 to hit). Or savage critical allows you to crit on a nat 19 with a weapon you're legendarily proficient in.

At 20th level, Boundless Reprisals gives you a reaction on each enemy's turn, so all the attacks of opportunity you want... if they're in range. Or Weapon Supremacy, you're permanently quickened, which whatever else it does, it provides an extra action, but you're limited to Striking with it.

No real surprises here. If you were happy with the fighter in 3.x/pathfinder, you'll be happy with this. It's effective, maybe even more so with the change in crits. Just not very exciting. If you wanted something more, this ain't it.

(extra explanation- 4E is my favorite edition, and the 4E fighter might be my favorite D&D class. That was the edition where I felt I got to do cool things as a fighter. The PF2 fighter looks like they just swing a sword. And maybe they're good at swinging a sword with the action and crit rules, and that's better than them sucking at swinging a sword. But to my view, that's going to be less than what I want out of it).

srhall79 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 23, 2023

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Druids became a possible player class in the OD&D supplement "Eldrich Wizardry, along with psionics, demons and artifacts. (They're in the earlier Greyhawk book as NPCs)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fighter got the Lord thing because in Gygax's games, with his friends, the Fighter was the party face on the theory that the big strong dude with the heaviest weapons and armor would naturally be the leader of the band.

It was later editions that switched the role of party face to the thief and bard.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

srhall79 posted:

No real surprises here. If you were happy with the fighter in 3.x/pathfinder, you'll be happy with this. If you wanted something more, this ain't it.

Oooooo boy. Nope. PF2e Fighters are beasts, due to the change in the critical rules and the lowered damage for spellcasters. There's a reasonable proportion of the fanbase that consider Fighters to be broken!

Here's the thing: the Fighter is always one level of weapon proficiency higher than any other class. That's an effective +2 to hit, which doesn't seem like much. But, because of the rule about beating DCs by 10, it's also 10% more crits.

Now there's double slice. Avoid multiple attack penalty on your second attack. MAP is usually -5. So compared to everyone else, that attack is at +5 (avoiding the MAP) and another +2 (because of the extra proficiency). +7. 35% more crits.

Then bear in mind that Fighters get all the critical specialisations. And that many of those critical specialisations can set up circumstances for you to get AoOs, which is extra rolls at no MAP, so even more chances to crit.

So yea, the PF2e Fighter is a big freakin' deal. There's a rolling argument about whether it or the Barbarian deals more damage (the Barbarian is "supposed" to, but the Fighter does in practice because of the crits)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Been checking basic and Expert and Druids there required you to be a 9th level cleric

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

There are even subclasses.
I think you're missing an aren't there, just as a minor FYI.

srhall79
Jul 22, 2022

hyphz posted:

Oooooo boy. Nope. PF2e Fighters are beasts, due to the change in the critical rules and the lowered damage for spellcasters. There's a reasonable proportion of the fanbase that consider Fighters to be broken!

Here's the thing: the Fighter is always one level of weapon proficiency higher than any other class. That's an effective +2 to hit, which doesn't seem like much. But, because of the rule about beating DCs by 10, it's also 10% more crits.

Now there's double slice. Avoid multiple attack penalty on your second attack. MAP is usually -5. So compared to everyone else, that attack is at +5 (avoiding the MAP) and another +2 (because of the extra proficiency). +7. 35% more crits.

Then bear in mind that Fighters get all the critical specialisations. And that many of those critical specialisations can set up circumstances for you to get AoOs, which is extra rolls at no MAP, so even more chances to crit.

So yea, the PF2e Fighter is a big freakin' deal. There's a rolling argument about whether it or the Barbarian deals more damage (the Barbarian is "supposed" to, but the Fighter does in practice because of the crits)

I haven't gotten into the spells, so I can't judge how they stack up. And I'd forgotten that barbarians aren't getting a bonus to hit with rage.

My disappointment here- 4e is my favorite edition, and the 4E fighter might be my favorite D&D class. Playing one, I felt powerful on the battlefield, controlling the flow, doing cool things. The PF2 fighter looks like they're just swinging a sword. It's good that they're effective at swinging a sword instead of sucking swinging a sword, but it's not the fantasy I want.

Cooked Auto posted:

I think you're missing an aren't there, just as a minor FYI.

Thanks, fixed!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

srhall79 posted:

My disappointment here- 4e is my favorite edition, and the 4E fighter might be my favorite D&D class. Playing one, I felt powerful on the battlefield, controlling the flow, doing cool things. The PF2 fighter looks like they're just swinging a sword. It's good that they're effective at swinging a sword instead of sucking swinging a sword, but it's not the fantasy I want.

The thing is, the 4e Fighter was a Defender and is more like the PF2e Champion. The PF2e Fighter is definitely a Striker.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

srhall79 posted:

Looking higher up, Two-weapon Flurry at level 14 will let you strike twice, once with each weapon (wielded in different hands). It does cost a single action, so you could make 6 attacks in a round... although the last would be at -25 to hit.

The penalty caps at -10 (-8 if you're using agile weapons).

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
To add on: Fighters are the only class in Pathfinder 2e that can opportunity attack right from the word go; every other class has to take the Attack of Opportunity feat to do so. (Most monsters in PF2e can't opportunity attack either, so you can afford to be a little more mobile during combat.)

As for druids and Druidic, the Second Edition Player's Handbook calls "the druidic language" out as "the one infallible method druids have of identifying each other." (It's also "limited to dealing with nature and natural events," for what it's worth.)

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

srhall79 posted:

wdarkk beat me to it, but for whatever reason the multiple attack penalty caps out after only two attacks. Additionally, Two-Weapon Flurry (as well as the other two actions in the game that are similar) has the Flourish trait, which means you can only use it once per round. With an extra attack-per-action from a flourish like Two-Weapon Flurry and an extra Strike from quickened via the Haste spell or something similar, the most Strikes I've ever seen anyone capable of making in their turn without involving reactions is five.

Like other people have mentioned though, fighters in PF2 aren't flashy but they're very loving strong. Because of how crits happen on a success+10 and double all damage rather than just some of it, +2 to hit is effectively an additive 20% more damage on all attacks. Weapon attacks in PF2 get a lot of bonus damage by default too from things like Weapon Specialization and magic weapons adding more damage dice rather than single digits, so it takes a lot of bonus damage to compare to the value of an attack bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I think the problem is that PF2 Fighters don't do anything cool. They just murder dudes real good. That's fine I guess. Sometimes all I want to do in a fantasy RPG is roll to hit.