Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

oh poo poo actually that mod is awesome, it looks like he’s been quietly keeping things updated in the background:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyLore/wiki/lorecompendium

just go back to whatever you played most recently and read from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GruntyThrst posted:

The downside of their “you had to be there” story and lore system is, well, you had to be there. Putting everything in order after the fact is a fool’s errand because the story isn’t always linear.

There is a part where I don't mind this. Part of the world of destiny is that some guardians tell other guardians what happened. Like Saladin telling stories of the dark age and such. That is present with older veteran players telling stories to newer players about what was going on in the past... like explaining Cayde-6 and his shenanigans.

It's cool from a world/community building perspective, but it's really bad if you want to just like... play through the game like a normal human being.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

there's a billion other start-to-finish story games out there, I don't think it hurts to have a pseudo living world where things happen and change over time, sometimes getting lost, sometimes getting brought back, sometimes being retold wrong

that's setting aside the newbie onramp mechanically, which they know is dogshit and are taking major steps to address in LF

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
yeah I started day 1 in D1 and have missed a bunch of seasons and expansions here or there, and I don't really mind it. The "living world" thing is pretty cool (my Guardian just took a few vacations), but yeah for brand new players it's godawful

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

arsenicCatnip posted:

Rhulks fight makes more sense with the detail that he isn't taking it seriously until the final stand and is basically just loving with you until then
Rhulk is such a comic book villain and it's why Vow is the best raid.

My headcanon is Rhulk is in that pyramid because the Witness got tired of his constant monologuing and gave it to him as a playground just to keep him busy.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

My headcanon is Rhulk is in that pyramid because the Witness got tired of his constant monologuing and gave it to him as a playground just to keep him busy.

the only problem is the forever intro sequence. It's the same reason I disliked CoS... The first bit is just long, not complicated, and annoying.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

witness set rhulk up as savathuns baby sitter because no matter who wins, it'll be hilarious to watch

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

considering Rhulk and Calus, as well as Savathun and (maybe) Uldren Sov being disciple candidates, Witness definitely has a type.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Witness is an enormously powerful cosmic being that wants to bring about the end of all things, of course they enjoy spoiled catty brats that are good to constantly fight and bicker and undermine each other. It's free entertainment, and they also get the comfort of knowing that these idiot children WILL get murdered at some point - either by opposing forces or they themselves.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The witness won't be won over until there is a guardian beach episode where all the main character sunbake, play beach ball, get buried in sand, paddle, eat ice creams and otherwise bond together.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DancingShade posted:

The witness won't be won over until there is a guardian beach episode where all the main character sunbake, play beach ball, get buried in sand, paddle, eat ice creams and otherwise bond together.

I'll bring the rumham!

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
How bad are the Leviathan rare spawns? I need most of them plus a couple calus bobble heads for the title.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not as bad as, say high value targets on planets. Just run circles around each zone and something happens every few minutes. The ones that spawn off in hidden corners have text callouts, the rest appear right in the middle of things and start shooting at you themselves. It’ll probably get tedious when you’re down to the last 2 or 3 and it’s never them

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ohhyeah posted:

How bad are the Leviathan rare spawns? I need most of them plus a couple calus bobble heads for the title.
Most of them could take up to 30 minutes to spawn, but in my experience tend to already be spawned when you get there. The worst ones are the ones who spawn in the pleasure gardens because when I was looking there's one of them that has a stupidly low spawn chance and it's entirely possible for some dickhead with Lament to kill it before you get there.

Does anyone have any advice for the best way to get umbrals? I have more than enough currency to get the rest of the weapon patterns but I'm finding it a real challenge to get enough umbral engrams together.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The best way to get umbrals is to not want umbrals, then they rain from the sky.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I thought we were getting Team Scorched this week, did I misread or hallucinate that? I was hoping to farm up some kills for various quests easily

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/destinythegame/status/1628093838345502721?s=46&t=fyxa5OsGZ93KZ0t4Eeuo7Q

You know how I’ve been saying Amanda’s gonna die since S13…?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Destiny 2 Amogus collab let’s loving gooooo

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

You know how I’ve been saying Amanda’s gonna die since S13…?

She's in the cutscenes for season of defiance, so it'll be in that narrative if so

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

drat you've been saying that for two years and still aren't right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Difficulty changes across a ton of activities article is out

Covers quite a bit from dares/wellsprings, to nightfall and raid changes. Oh and lost sectors too.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Difficulty changes across a ton of activities article is out

Covers quite a bit from dares/wellsprings, to nightfall and raid changes. Oh and lost sectors too.

It's... beautiful....

I love every single one of these changes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Lake of Shadows and Arms Dealer are being updated with new enemies, new encounters, new mechanics and new objectives.

Expect them to be much tougher than before... and less Sparrow-friendly.

:sickos:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

bets on how long before thunderous casual player complaints roll back difficulty changes

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah I am sorry but there's no reason you can't do all this AND leave Adept difficulty for lazy bums like me

e: I like pretty much every other change in there in fact besides that one

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 21, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

ohhyeah posted:

Once you know where the 2 alcoves are in each area, just run by and your radar will tell you if anything’s in there. The hardest ones for me where the ones that spawned right out in the open because people instantly melt them. There’s one like near the back of pleasure gardens that gets nuked I think. There are guides too that tell you the specific flavor text to look for in the lower left so you can beeline for the spawns. I’d link something but I’m canposting and I trust your google skills.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

uwaeve posted:

Once you know where the 2 alcoves are in each area, just run by and your radar will tell you if anything’s in there. The hardest ones for me where the ones that spawned right out in the open because people instantly melt them. There’s one like near the back of pleasure gardens that gets nuked I think. There are guides too that tell you the specific flavor text to look for in the lower left so you can beeline for the spawns. I’d link something but I’m canposting and I trust your google skills.

Don't forget to airlock the poop

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I just hope they don't update all the nightfalls/strikes with huge enemy counts. I am really not sure how I feel about the resil nerf coming in tandem with these changes since I already feel plenty squishy in heroic heists - Like I already struggle to not die in that boss room - and cover feels nearly meaningless with the enemy counts/spawn rates.

That said, LF is going to be real interesting - I'm imagining there's a bit of power creep in the mod system changes and particularly the changes to the artifact that might help offset some of the difficulty changes and resil nerf.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree that they shouldn’t eliminate all the low effort relaxation activities you don’t have to perfect your build for, but I’d also like strike encounters to involve more than every player procs their favorite chain reaction effect simultaneously and then everything in the room is dead

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

friendly reminder that actual casual players run double primary with 0 mods slotted

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I wanted forced power deltas In Lieu Of Power Levels

I didn't want to have to grind Power Levels, but also not benefit from them

Silly bungie

That table of power levels, content levels, and delta levels was hilarious to look at

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Match game is being removed (as a modifier and is instead active across the whole game)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

haveblue posted:

I agree that they shouldn’t eliminate all the low effort relaxation activities you don’t have to perfect your build for, but I’d also like strike encounters to involve more than every player procs their favorite chain reaction effect simultaneously and then everything in the room is dead

Why would you not want the entire room of enemies exploded instantly in a strike?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Why would you not want the entire room of enemies exploded instantly in a strike?
Because it's not fun if you don't get to do it.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wanted forced power deltas In Lieu Of Power Levels

I didn't want to have to grind Power Levels, but also not benefit from them

Silly bungie

That table of power levels, content levels, and delta levels was hilarious to look at
Well they already said power isn't going to go up after Deep or something, but yeah, it's real goofy that they're doing the whole "light going up 150 for the expansion" despite these changes.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

No Activity Left Behind gambit who?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

Because it's not fun if you don't get to do it.

Well they already said power isn't going to go up after Deep or something, but yeah, it's real goofy that they're doing the whole "light going up 150 for the expansion" despite these changes.

It's just goofy that it's quantified at all, instead of just.. Words. But I guess they are permanently committed to a numerical power level due to sunsetting

1840 Nightfalls will remain 1840 Nightfalls all year(?) long, even though 1810 pinnacle will remain 1810 pinnacle

However... Artifact Power will go poof every 3 months, so there's still going to be a grind for enough power to be at max effectiveness for Legend, Master and GM content each season. Admittedly a much smaller one, and it's yet another reason to do lots of Bounties

They're also sort of changing the very concept of Master difficulty. Master used to mean enemies literally had more health and did more damage, as starting values, before considering the Power Level deltas. Now it seems more like Master is just "Regular difficulty but with the 20 power delta" rather than the current "Master Difficulty plus or minus a power delta"

Master Raids are just permanent Contest Mode, but with champions, chaff, and a limited list of weapons that do 25% bonus damage?

Weird stuff

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think artifact power grind is probably going to go away eventually too? Maybe?

Since the plan is for you to basically have you artifact mods "on" the artifact instead of in your armor, the power chase/creep of the artifact will now just be the artifact mods rather then the power bonus.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

I think artifact power grind is probably going to go away eventually too? Maybe?

Since the plan is for you to basically have you artifact mods "on" the artifact instead of in your armor, the power chase/creep of the artifact will now just be the artifact mods rather then the power bonus.

Maybe, but additional power seems to be part of the plan, since we can only get up to 1810 from gear, but have a max effectiveness of up to 1820 for some content.

Also btw I was just sort of talking my way through understanding all this, in the reply to you. I feel like there are some Good changes here, but the areas that really needed the reworks are just barely changing at all which makes me feel like bungie doesn't totally "get it" what people are asking for. Maybe a subjective read on it though.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Yeah this owns. D2 is in the best state destiny's ever been wrt space magic imo and I hope the ratio of guns/ability spam doesn't lean too much to the former in Lightfall. Especially with how cool Strand looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I personally think they've overestimated how many players can be arsed to have to think about what they're doing all the time, also the first season is going to be a shitshow until they can get loadouts to put things back in the vault.

Also funny to be like 'we care about accessibility, also we are removing the lowest difficulty setting.'