Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

my dad posted:

It's Eugene.

"being stuck up here"

"my... family's burden"

I'm coming around to the idea that it could be. If so this might be a case of "maybe he'll listen to my words if they're coming from someone else." I don't think that there's more to it than that.

Even if it is Eugene, no, Roy doesn't know that. You can tell from the last two panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm coming around to the idea that it could be. If so this might be a case of "maybe he'll listen to my words if they're coming from someone else." I don't think that there's more to it than that.

Even if it is Eugene, no, Roy doesn't know that. You can tell from the last two panels.

Yeah it could be trying to break the dysfunctional pattern of arguments they retread every time they see each other.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Because I'm good at remembering numbers, but not much else, I recall that Roy and Julia have a pretty significant age gap to the tune of eleven years. So, I would guess that "children" refers to being pregnant with Eric, since little Roy looks a little too little for any other explanation. Julia's age was mentioned again just now but I'm not totally sure when or in what context I remember hearing that Roy is/was twenty-seven. Maybe the resurrection?

I also recall that Haley is/was twenty-three and that Elan is/was twenty-one. Haley definitely mentioned it when the forest sorceress kept calling her old, and I think Nale mentioned their age in his introduction, but it could have been some other time. This kind of takes the edge off the whole "it's misogynist to act like it's Haley's job care of Elan" criticism, in my opinion, since it's easy to forget how young most of the (human) cast is in the first place and Elan probably never really thought of Haley as a serious love interest initially for this exact reason, because she's an experienced adventurer with clear seniority and he's basically a washout, albeit a very cheerful one who doesn't let it get him down. I suppose Origin of PCs spells out these implications more clearly than the core online comic though.

fake edit: I honestly love the entire recruitment sequence since Elan's pitch to Roy is basically "I'll help you recruit more competent people" and when that succeeds Roy can't justify kicking Elan out of the group for being useless when the only reason that he even has a group is because of Elan.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I believe the ages are Roy is 29, Eric died at 3 years old when Roy was 10 or so, and then Julia was born about 2 years later.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
When I started reading this comic, I was younger than Elan. Now I'm older than Roy.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
The comic itself is creeping up to Elan's age!

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Went crawling back through On the Origin of PCs. Spoiler text just in case there is somehow a single person in here who hasn't already read it.

Roy was in fighter college 7 years before the start of OOTS, where by his own admission he'd been enrolled there for three years already at the time Eugene paid a visit to catch him up on the blood oath. Eugene was the one to say Julia was only nine years old at that time, which was why he was telling Roy about the oath and not her. That would also mean she was roughly six when she observed Roy's audition, which is likely old enough to remember his embarrassing mix-up with the swords. The next time the book cuts back to Roy, it's 3 years before the start of OOTS and he'd recently graduated with his MBA. (Yeesh, he spent seven years in college for an MBA at best? He should've double majored in Architecture with that much time.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TunaSpleen posted:

(Yeesh, he spent seven years in college for an MBA at best? He should've double majored in Architecture with that much time.)

Maybe :thejoke:, but: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0808.html

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I was expecting that to link to the Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales story where 4th edition Roy is confused why 3rd edition Roy doesn't have a prestige class despite knowing full well that comic isn't a regular OOTS link.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jeez this is a bad one for making me re-read the strip. Went back to the start of the gladiator fight and finally made myself put it down once they found the Draketooths. Really fun stretch.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Jeez this is a bad one for making me re-read the strip. Went back to the start of the gladiator fight and finally made myself put it down once they found the Draketooths. Really fun stretch.

DrakeTEETH

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

DrakeTEETH

You know drat well Draketooth would have a completely inappropriate body part on display.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SuperKlaus posted:

DrakeTEETH

I laughed out loud at this, thank you.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Calling it now: Gerard's corpse is *actually* buried in Serini's dungeon, and the final gate is his butt cheeks.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New strip - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1275.html

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Greyview earned that name.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It had been so long, I forgot about Xyklon's word pact

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I thought there would have been more to that conversation with "Julia"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or his name.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The X-man cometh posted:

I thought there would have been more to that conversation with "Julia"

I mean its not over yet

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Nenonen posted:

Or his name.

Welp, I can't even blame autocorrect here

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

He even broke it in one of the panels.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mmkay posted:

He even broke it in one of the panels.

No he doesn't

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ah, the B plot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

No he doesn't

Spells is 6 letters, panel 6.

In any case I don't think the modron particularly cares if Xykon isn't 100% perfect as long as he's making the effort.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Spells is 6 letters, panel 6.

In any case I don't think the modron particularly cares if Xykon isn't 100% perfect as long as he's making the effort.

so is that Rich's mistake, or Xykon's?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Alternatively, the Modron is now free to leave at any time, and is only remaining around to potentially further the cause of Law by leaving at an inopportune moment.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

They could probably argue that the exclamation point should have been a semicolon.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

AnoHito posted:

They could probably argue that the exclamation point should have been a semicolon.

I bet modron loving love a well used semicolon.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Proper semicolon use is what separates the tridrones from the quadrones.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I misremembered the rules, I thought it sentences had to be an odd number for some reason.

But yeah I think the ! in this case is not supposed to count as the end of the sentence

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Parahexavoctal posted:

so is that Rich's mistake, or Xykon's?

I'm just taking the modron at their word: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1266.html First page, fifth panel.

It's not about Xykon succeeding in the task, it's about forcing Xykon to actually think about his word choice.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If he thought about it a little more he'd probably realize this agreement could be easily satisfied by ending every sentence with "you rear end in a top hat" but, alas, he's Xykon.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm just taking the modron at their word: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1266.html First page, fifth panel.

It's not about Xykon succeeding in the task, it's about forcing Xykon to actually think about his word choice.

Last panel of that comic has X explicitly saying that the exclamation point is being used like a comma, so he’s consistent.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I dunno, a being of pure law saying, "It's ok, you tried really hard and that's what matters," seems... unlikely to me. I think the fact that he goofed proves that he isn't thinking that hard about it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Big fan of the title joke for this one, did not expect it at all.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

seaborgium posted:

Big fan of the title joke for this one, did not expect it at all.

Can't remember if it's been pointed out, but Redcloak specifically asked the modron to help them get through all the dungeons, and refused to answer what their actual goal is. Bet Xykon is going to handle the lack of a result reeeaaal well once they've been through all of them and not found anything.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

:siren: A Bit Too Revealing :siren:

Y'all called it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If anyone else was wondering, "Julia" said "it's my future on the line," verbatim, in strip 1193. So that was also Eugene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I'm so proud of this thread. Unlike Greenhilts dad.

Still up in the air if Roy knows, but at least Eugene doesn't seem to be sabotaging things.